PDA

View Full Version : Report: Cubs, Rays Looking at Pedro

Viva Medias B's
06-11-2009, 10:27 PM
According to the Boston Globe, the Cubs and the Rays have sent scouts to the Dominican Republic to watch Pedro Martínez pitch.

Link (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/06/cubs_rays_eye_p.html)

DumpJerry
06-11-2009, 10:27 PM
The Score is reporting tonight that the Boston Globe has said that the Rays and Cubs have been in the Dominican Republic to check out Pedro and they are interested in starting talks with him.

The first caller to The Score asked is Pedro can hit. Just like the Cubs to not address their biggest needs......

doublem23
06-11-2009, 10:29 PM
The first caller to The Score asked is Pedro can hit. Just like the Cubs to not address their biggest needs......

For the record, the Sox were out shopping for Jake Peavy when the clear culprit of this team is the black hole at the bottom of our lineup.

I agree with KW and Hendry, though, you can never have enough pitching. Ever.

Foulke You
06-11-2009, 11:03 PM
I think it also shows how little confidence Hendry has that Harden can stay healthy and productive when they need him. Of course, Pedro is pretty injury prone himself. Perhaps they think the two of them might combine for enough innings.

JB98
06-11-2009, 11:16 PM
The Cubs have excellent starting pitching. It's the rest of their team that sucks.

MarkZ35
06-11-2009, 11:20 PM
The Cubs have excellent starting pitching. It's the rest of their team that sucks.
I agree. The starting pitching has been great the problem has been the hitting. It has been awful. Lately everyone of their games has been like 3-2 or 2-1.

TDog
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
For the record, the Sox were out shopping for Jake Peavy when the clear culprit of this team is the black hole at the bottom of our lineup.

And if your pitching is good enough, you don't need much hitting.

On the other hand, if you don't have enough pitching, you never have enough hitting.

As poor as the White Sox hitting as been this year, the starting pitching has probably been the biggest problem.

kaufsox
06-12-2009, 11:17 AM
As poor as the White Sox hitting as been this year, the starting pitching has probably been the biggest problem.

Seeing how the Sox are currently 5th in pitching and 12th in hitting, I think the problem has a lot more to do with the bats.

doublem23
06-12-2009, 11:43 AM

I don't know, the Sox's offense has been pathetic and at 4.10 R/G, ranks 12th in the American League ahead of only Kansas City and Seattle, two teams I'd rather not be lumped with.

The Sox pitching, meanwhile has a team ERA of 4.23, good enough for 5th in the American League, though our starters have been worse (4.50, 8th in the AL).

I think a nice, big bat (particularly at 3B or CF) would do absolute wonders for this team, but I can't blame KW for trying to bring in a top-notch starter, especially one who is under contract for another 3-4 years. They don't grow on trees.

TheVulture
06-12-2009, 02:21 PM
Their bullpen is shaky and they have been getting a combined 4.80 ERA from Marshall and Harden. There's almost always room for improvement in even the best pitching staffs.

thedudeabides
06-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Their bullpen is shaky and they have been getting a combined 4.80 ERA from Marshall and Harden. There's almost always room for improvement in even the best pitching staffs.

Both bullpens really need some help, so I wonder if they think Pedro would consider going to the pen?