View Full Version : Thursday's Winning PTC

voodoochile
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Did his job...

:Floyd:
"Bobby stole my W..."

Gavin
06-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Should be that fan. Hats off to you, kid.

Jaffar
06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
:bandance::gulp::bandance::gulp:

It's Dankerific
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Brian with a big :gulp: for starting that inning off right and eventually scoring the winning run.

october23sp
06-11-2009, 06:45 PM
:pods:
"Who won the damn game?"

DumpJerry
06-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Probably a WSIer.:D:

ode to veeck
06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
nice starting pitching two nights in a row

doublem23
06-11-2009, 07:35 PM

Farmio made it sound like Anderson probably could have tagged and scored if their Anderson had to reach into the stands to make the play.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
That fan was taunting the Tigers for the rest of the inning after doing that.

TheAnswer32
06-11-2009, 07:37 PM
Farmio made it sound like Anderson probably could have tagged and scored if their Anderson had to reach into the stands to make the play.

I saw it on TV and would have to agree.

GoGoCrede
06-11-2009, 07:41 PM
:gulp:I'll drink to that. Bobby owes him dinner, methinks. Hope Gavin gets to even his record soon.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2009, 07:51 PM
In these types of games, the official scorer should have the discretion to award the win to the starting pitcher, or at the very least the discretion not to award the win to the closer who blew the lead. There is no way in hell that Jenks deserves a win for blowing a save, and then being lucky enough to have the Sox win it in the tenth.

TheAnswer32
06-11-2009, 08:07 PM
In these types of games, the official scorer should have the discretion to award the win to the starting pitcher, or at the very least the discretion not to award the win to the closer who blew the lead. There is no way in hell that Jenks deserves a win for blowing a save, and then being lucky enough to have the Sox win it in the tenth.

I couldn't agree more. There are a ton of rules regarding what official scorers can and cannot do that need to be changed, e.i. assuming a DP on certain plays.

voodoochile
06-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Actually, according to the official scoring rules of baseball, they do, but convention has become to give it to the guy who was last on the mound at the time the winning team took the lead for the final time.

No scorer uses the "short and ineffective" discretionary allowance anymore and this performance probably wouldn't qualify anyway. It's more geared toward pitchers who are in for less than a whole inning and give up a LOT of runs to lose the lead during their time in the game only to have their team seize control of the game in their next at bat. Losing a two run lead really doesn't qualify...

voodoochile
06-11-2009, 08:17 PM
:pods:
"Who won the damn game?"

Well BA scored the winning run technically and if he hadn't walked and then made it to third on the bad toss to first, Pods wouldn't have been hitting through a drawn in infield. I couldn't decide between them and felt Gavin had done enough to warrant the win. Since he didn't get the win, I figured I'd give him the next best thing PTC at WSI.

However, if you trully feel you have to dispute the call, Daver still handles it even when he doesn't act as judge. I'm the surrogate judge, not the surrogate elephant gun guy as it were. I'm sure he'll be more than happy to take up your appeal...:tongue:

TDog
06-11-2009, 08:28 PM

No scorer uses the "short and ineffective" discretionary allowance anymore and this performance probably wouldn't qualify anyway. It's more geared toward pitchers who are in for less than a whole inning and give up a LOT of runs to lose the lead during their time in the game only to have their team seize control of the game in their next at bat. Losing a two run lead really doesn't qualify...

I saw it used last year. I have forgetten the teams invovled. I believe I've only seen it used when a pitcher allows an inherited run to score to lose the lead, and perhaps even does more damage, and doesn't come back the next inning.

I have never seen it used for a pitcher who pitches a complete inning. Jenks got the win within the letter, and I'm afraid, the spirit of the scoring rules.

doublem23
06-11-2009, 09:18 PM
TBGR... Floyd in Contro... Damn it, Jenk... Hey, We Won! (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=4&id=3803)