PDA

View Full Version : What are the top White Sox pitches or plays you could get a do over for?

06-11-2009, 04:18 PM
You know those big moments that have altered the course of White Sox history or plays that really pissed you off. I'm a relatively young fan, so my recollection is of more recent events.

1. Two pitches here. Down 2.5 games to Minnesota in late September of 2003, the Sox were in the Metrodome against the Twinkies for the last game of a crucial three game series, of which the Sox already dropped the first two by less than 3 runs. On two occasions in the third game Bartolo Colon served up 2-run homers to Jackie Jones with 2 outs in both innings. And I can't tell which one hurt more, because the first one was hit with the Sox actually with a 2-0 lead on the twins in the first and the second one was to give the twins the lead for good.

2. The pitch to Frank Thomas on a Saturday day game in Oakland in late September of 2006. We were tied at the time in the 7th inning, and Macdougal walked Thomas to push the go-ahead run forward. The Sox were 2 games behind the twins at the time for the wild card, and that loss made it a tough 3 games behind with two weeks to go.

3. Joe Crede dropping Manny Ramirez's pop up in foul territory in a mid-july game at the Cell against the Red Sox in 2005. We were tied with the Red Sox at the time and there were two outs in the top of the 9th. It would of ended the inning, instead Ramirez blasts Vizcano's next pitch 15 rows up into the left field bleachers for a three-run HR. I don't know why this one upsets me that much, especially since we won the world series. Perhaps it was all those bandwagon Red Sox fans that made me miserable at the cell that night.

LITTLE NELL
06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Sherm Lollar being tagged out by a huge margin(did'nt even slide) while trying to score in an 8th inning rally in game 2 of the 59 World Series (I was there). There was only 1 out at the time and why Tony Cucienello sent him home I still lose sleep over. We won game 1 by a score of 11-0 and if we win game 2 it changes everything. Lollar was the slowest player in the A.L. at the time and we lost the game 4-3.

doublem23
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
It would have been nice if they didn't cancel the last 1/3 of the 1994 season.

PaleHoser
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml), October 8, 1983, bottom of the 7th inning. Baserunning was supposed to be one of "The Dibber"s strengths.

Angels vs. White Sox, August 25, 1990 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199008250.shtml). Bobby Thigpen served up a 3-run homer to Lee Stevens on an 0-2 pitch with two outs in the top of the 9th inning. Sox lose 3-2. He single-handedly cured my urge to stand and clap with two outs in the ninth FOREVER!

Robin Ventura's ankle injury, spring training of 1997. Thomas, Belle, Ventura and Baines in the same lineup. "White Flag Trade" never happens.

GregO23
06-11-2009, 06:28 PM
You know those big moments that have altered the course of White Sox history or plays that really pissed you off. I'm a relatively young fan, so my recollection is of more recent events.

3. Joe Crede dropping Manny Ramirez's pop up in foul territory in a mid-july game at the Cell against the Red Sox in 2005. We were tied with the Red Sox at the time and there were two outs in the top of the 9th. It would of ended the inning, instead Ramirez blasts Vizcano's next pitch 15 rows up into the left field bleachers for a three-run HR. I don't know why this one upsets me that much, especially since we won the world series. Perhaps it was all those bandwagon Red Sox fans that made me miserable at the cell that night.

Wow, I remember that clearly. I remember turning off the tube vision right after he swang and I didnt watch any sports channel the rest of that day I was so upset

Johnny Mostil
06-11-2009, 06:34 PM
It would have been nice if they didn't cancel the last 1/3 of the 1994 season.

Or the middle third of the 1981 season (though, yes, 1994 was worse).

And now pitching for the White Sox, Jose Paniagua . . .

billyvsox
06-12-2009, 12:40 AM
2000 playoffs vs Seattle....Kelly Wunsch throws the ball away after it hit his leg. I still believe we would have come back and won the series and got our chance vs the Yankees who we dominated against that year.

Tragg
06-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198310080.shtml), October 8, 1983, bottom of the 7th inning. Baserunning was supposed to be one of "The Dibber"s strengths.
It's got to be something in that game. Because if we win that game (which we lost in extras), we come back in game 5 with LaMarr and very possibly win a Worlds Series (considering that Baltimore dominated the PHillies).

Madvora
06-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Can someone please give a detailed play-by-play of this situation? I was only 6 a the time. I hear it referenced all the time, but I don't know the specifics.

tebman
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM

It's funny -- I don't remember Dybzinski's baserunning gaffe nearly as well as I remember Greg Luzinski standing at the plate impassively in the bottom of the 10th being called out on strikes. My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets. We stood on the scoreboard ramp the whole game watching Britt Burns pitch the game of his life only to see Tito Landrum (who?) hit a homer for the Orioles in the top of the 10th. At that moment you could feel the air come out of the ballpark like a heavy balloon.

Baines was on base with a single in the 10th and we thought we might come out of this thing alive. But Luzinski just stood there. To this day that's been an object lesson to me -- you never know when it's your last chance, so if you go down, go down swinging.

PaleHoser
06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Can someone please give a detailed play-by-play of this situation? I was only 6 a the time. I hear it referenced all the time, but I don't know the specifics.

Greg Walker singled to lead off the 7th. Mike Squires was sent in to pinch run for him. Vance Law followed with a single, so now it's first and second with no one out.

Jerry Dybzinski, "The Dibber", tried to sacrifice the runners to second and third but bunted too close to the plate and Squires was forced at third base (The Sox can't advance a runner or bunt. Funny how some things never change).

Julio Cruz followed with a single to left. Vance Law was held up at third, but "The Dibber" rounded second with his head down and got caught in rundown. Vance Law broke for home and was thrown out by a country mile.

So first and second and two out. The Orioles pitcher committed a balk to advance the runners to second and third. A flyout to left resulted in the third out, killing the best chance the Sox had to break a scoreless deadlock that resulted in Tito "F-ing" Landrum hitting the home run in the 10th inning.

MLB Network has broadcast this game in their "All-Time Games" series.

wilburaga
06-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Ron Leflore's line drive shattering Wilbur Wood's patella. Ouch.

W

Zisk77
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
2000 playoffs vs Seattle....Kelly Wunsch throws the ball away after it hit his leg. I still believe we would have come back and won the series and got our chance vs the Yankees who we dominated against that year.

Actually it hit him in the stomach. Also are pitching staff was in dissarray. Eldred hurt. Sirotka pitching hurt. Baldwin pitching hurt. Parque and Sean Lowe. How many times id we fail to get a runner home with less than 2 out from third in that series?

Zisk77
06-12-2009, 11:57 AM
How about game 2 2005 alcs. Either Iguchi making a better throw on the would be inning ending double play or Jose going home with the play. we could have been 11-0 in the playoffs. But I guess it ended out okay. :wink:

Madvora
06-12-2009, 12:08 PM
Greg Walker singled to lead off the 7th. Mike Squires was sent in to pinch run for him. Vance Law followed with a single, so now it's first and second with no one out.

Jerry Dybzinski, "The Dibber", tried to sacrifice the runners to second and third but bunted too close to the plate and Squires was forced at third base (The Sox can't advance a runner or bunt. Funny how some things never change).

Julio Cruz followed with a single to left. Vance Law was held up at third, but "The Dibber" rounded second with his head down and got caught in rundown. Vance Law broke for home and was thrown out by a country mile.

So first and second and two out. The Orioles pitcher committed a balk to advance the runners to second and third. A flyout to left resulted in the third out, killing the best chance the Sox had to break a scoreless deadlock that resulted in Tito "F-ing" Landrum hitting the home run in the 10th inning.

Awesome. Thanks. Now I finally know.

WisSoxFan
06-12-2009, 12:20 PM

Angels vs. White Sox, August 25, 1990 (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA199008250.shtml). Bobby Thigpen served up a 3-run homer to Lee Stevens on an 0-2 pitch with two outs in the top of the 9th inning. Sox lose 3-2. He single-handedly cured my urge to stand and clap with two outs in the ninth FOREVER!

Robin Ventura's ankle injury, spring training of 1997. Thomas, Belle, Ventura and Baines in the same lineup. "White Flag Trade" never happens.

That was my 20th birthday. It was a Saturday and I had skipped the Wisconsin/Illinois football game in Madison to stay home and watch the Sox. Not my best birthday ever.

Paulwny
06-12-2009, 12:25 PM
Sherm Lollar being tagged out by a huge margin(did'nt even slide) while trying to score in an 8th inning rally in game 2 of the 59 World Series (I was there). There was only 1 out at the time and why Tony Cucienello sent him home I still lose sleep over. We won game 1 by a score of 11-0 and if we win game 2 it changes everything. Lollar was the slowest player in the A.L. at the time and we lost the game 4-3.

These 2 stand out the most for me.

KenBerryGrab
06-12-2009, 01:25 PM

My brother and I were covering this game for our respective dailies and were side by side in the "auxiliary press box" (actually third base line upper deck boxes). We both stood and yelled "No!" -- breaking the taboo of no cheering in the press box. But we weren't in the press box.

I was abashed, though. I thought I could submerge the fan in me, but it couldn't be done.

C-Dawg
06-12-2009, 02:16 PM
3. Joe Crede dropping Manny Ramirez's pop up in foul territory in a mid-july game at the Cell against the Red Sox in 2005....Perhaps it was all those bandwagon Red Sox fans that made me miserable at the cell that night.

Many of those were Cub fans; I know practicallt every Cub fan I know went to that series. After all, if the Red Sox could break their curse....

I remember Greg Luzinski standing at the plate impassively in the bottom of the 10th being called out on strikes.

You know, actually, I also remember that very well, even better than old Jerry Dyb's baserunning (at least until seeing it rebroadcast many years later). I was in Peoria and we sat transfixed around the TV as the season wound down to a called third strike. :(:

ShoelessJoeS
06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Having been born in '84, there is a lot of White Sox history I've missed. And it sounds like some real heartbreakers here. Did the Sox have a real good shot at winning it all though in '83? I always dismissed it as Baltimore being that much better just by looking at the box scores of the ALCS and WS.

PaleHoser
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Lamarr Hoyt won Game 1 of the ALCS 2-1 in Baltimore. He pitched an absolute gem.

With Hoyt pitching Game 5, there's no doubt in my mind that had the Sox won Game 4 they would have won the AL pennant and the World Series. Baltimore beat Philadelpia in five games.

areilly
06-12-2009, 04:47 PM
It's not the saddest, or even one that would've led to the most glory, but one that stands out is Javy's meatball down the middle to Evan Longoria in game one of last year's ALDS. Take that out and the series at least could've been interesting.

bigdommer
06-12-2009, 05:00 PM
2003 vs. Cubs - Colon throws 7 shutout innings and it looks like they will beat Zambrano at Wrigley and Marte goes to the bathroom in his pants

ShoelessJoeS
06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
2003 vs. Cubs - Colon throws 7 shutout innings and it looks like they will beat Zambrano at Wrigley and Marte goes to the bathroom in his pantsWas that the walk-off walk right after Carlos Lee tied it up in the top of the 9th?

Lip Man 1
06-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Shoeless:

You should have been around for 1964 and 1967 if you wanted excitement almost to the final day of the season.

Lip

y2j2785
06-13-2009, 01:30 AM
July 19, 2006 - Javier Vazquez gives up a grand slam to Craig Monroe to put the tigers ahead as the sox and Tigers were tied atop the AL Central standings at 58-34. Sox would go 32-37 the rest of the season and finish 6 games behind the twins for the division title and 5 games behind the tigers for the wild card

gobears1987
06-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Was that the walk-off walk right after Carlos Lee tied it up in the top of the 9th?
The walk-off walk was in 2004 IIRC. I think Shingo loaded the bases in the tie game and Marte then walked in the winning run.

bridgeportcopper
06-13-2009, 10:14 AM
It was 2004, July 4th to be exact - ESPN Sunday night game, very busy weekend as we had gotten married the day before and got to watch a little of that game as we were leaving for our honeymoon the next morning - and YUCK!

On a side note, anyone know what the 5th anniversary gift is???

ode to veeck
06-13-2009, 11:48 AM
It's funny -- I don't remember Dybzinski's baserunning gaffe nearly as well as I remember Greg Luzinski standing at the plate impassively in the bottom of the 10th being called out on strikes. My wife, my mother, and I were at that game with standing-room tickets. We stood on the scoreboard ramp the whole game watching Britt Burns pitch the game of his life only to see Tito Landrum (who?) hit a homer for the Orioles in the top of the 10th. At that moment you could feel the air come out of the ballpark like a heavy balloon.

Baines was on base with a single in the 10th and we thought we might come out of this thing alive. But Luzinski just stood there. To this day that's been an object lesson to me -- you never know when it's your last chance, so if you go down, go down swinging.

It was incredible, as Ludzinski had been such a full of guts and heart clutch playoff hitter in his earlier career with the Phillies and couldn't do it in his home town!

ode to veeck
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
How about Paniccia giving life to the "stick a form in 'em dead" Twinkies when the Sox almost had them eliminated in a game the Twins wound't even win but totally turned around the season with only a few days left.

ode to veeck
06-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Shoeless:

You should have been around for 1964 and 1967 if you wanted excitement almost to the final day of the season.

Lip

I remember the hurts after just missing on those great pennant drives you savored every day until the final dissappointment ...