PDA

View Full Version : Big year for bad former White Sox

waldo_the_wolf
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
The thread I posted in talking baseball about Juan Uribe batting third today made me think about how disgusting it is that it seems like every player who was a scrub for the Sox is having an all-star season this year. Guys like Uribe (who did have some good times with the Sox but never close to what he's doing now), Nick Masset, David Aardsma, there may be others but I don't want to think about it. Can anyone recall a previous year where it seemed like so many bad ex-Sox were so good? I can't.

guillensdisciple
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Let Juan play a little more, his numbers are not as impressive as you think.

Through 39 games that is alright, but give him a whole year and you might have a significant drop off. I hope he does well, because he was a hell of a guy to hate on the team.

Rocky Soprano
06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Wow, some people love to exaggerate.

veeter
06-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Every player the Sox let walk, has generally worn out his welcome. They're gone, so who gives a **** what they do with another team?

Gavin
Juan Uribe almost won the batting title in June 2004.

kittle42
Wow, some people love to exaggerate.

Seriously. I would say all those guys have been fine in short bursts. Masset is still a middle reliever at best. Aardsma will start blowing and may not even have a job if Cordero ever comes back. Uribe is recently starting because of injuries and the Giants' general suckitude and is still Juan Uribe.

kittle42
06-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Every player the Sox let walk, has generally worn out his welcome. They're gone, so who gives a **** what they do with another team?

OP is still yearning for the return of Sammy Sosa!

LITTLE NELL
06-11-2009, 03:23 PM
It is what it is but bottom line I wanted the Sox to keep Uribe.

Dibbs
06-11-2009, 09:11 PM
I always loved Uribe. He will never go down as a bad former Sox in my book. I was sad to see him go. I wouldn't consider Massett bad either. Aardsma? Maybe. He was pretty bad.

soxfan2504
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
I always loved Uribe. He will never go down as a bad former Sox in my book. I was sad to see him go. I wouldn't consider Massett bad either. Aardsma? Maybe. He was pretty bad.

Gotta second that motion about Uribe. Anybody who makes spectacular plays on 3 of the last 4 outs of a World Series is a winner in my book.

Brian26
06-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Of all the examples being tossed out, I'm surprised the best example still hasn't been mentioned. Geoff Blum is on fire.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6472976.html

slavko
06-11-2009, 11:24 PM
Of all the examples being tossed out, I'm surprised the best example still hasn't been mentioned. Geoff Blum is on fire.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6472976.html

Go you one better. Scott Podsednik is a former Sox that's on fire too.

Thatguyoverthere
06-12-2009, 12:34 AM

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6472976.htmlHe has a knack for those big, game-winning hits.

PalehosePlanet
06-12-2009, 09:39 AM
Gotta second that motion about Uribe. Anybody who makes spectacular plays on 3 of the last 4 outs of a World Series is a winner in my book.

Third! I loved Juan too, although he did drive nuts at times. He was here for five years and helped us win a championship. A good Sox, and a winner too.

Also, as far as former Sox go, don't forget that Nick Swisher is hitting plenty of 315 foot HR's in NY.

06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
Seriously. I would say all those guys have been fine in short bursts. Aardsma will start blowing and may not even have a job if Cordero ever comes back.

Aardsma has a 1.78 ERA, 11SV, 7HLD and 35K in 30 appearances. Not too bad but your right he could still meltdown. I always thought he had pretty good looking stuff, maybe Seattle is the right spot for him.

slavko
06-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Aardsma has a 1.78 ERA, 11SV, 7HLD and 35K in 30 appearances. Not too bad but your right he could still meltdown. I always thought he had pretty good looking stuff, maybe Seattle is the right spot for him.

Threw hard, had nasty stuff...the potential was there. Still, has 20 BB this year, so he's wildish. But a 1.2 WHIP, that's real good. Was worth trading Cotts for, too bad we couldn't fix him.