PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Giants lineup today

waldo_the_wolf
06-11-2009, 04:05 PM
I just noticed the lineup that the Giants are using for this afternoon's game. Leading off is Aaron Rowand and Juan Uribe is batting third!!!!! Aaron isn't all that surprising since he's always seemed like a possible lead-off candidate but who would have ever thought Juan Rotundo would ever bat in the three slot. He is having a great year with the bat so it makes sense but still shocking.

Madvora
06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow. I haven't checked up on these guys in a while. They're both hitting over .300. Very nice.
Remember when Uribe first came to the Sox and it seemed like he hit a double every single at bat? He was awesome that first year.

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2009, 05:43 PM
Wow. I haven't checked up on these guys in a while. They're both hitting over .300. Very nice.
Remember when Uribe first came to the Sox and it seemed like he hit a double every single at bat? He was awesome that first year.

Uribe = very good today (compared to Fields and Getz)

getonbckthr
06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Uribe = very good today (compared to Fields and Getz)
And expensive.

Brian26
06-11-2009, 10:17 PM
And expensive.

Expensive? The Giants signed him to a minor league contract. I think he'll make $1 million this year as an incentive for making the roster.

The Sox were going to blow more money on MacDougal this year than what the Giants will pay Uribe.

doublem23
06-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Expensive? The Giants signed him to a minor league contract. I think he'll make $1 million this year as an incentive for making the roster.

The Sox were going to blow more money on MacDougal this year than what the Giants will pay Uribe.

Unfortunately, thanks to the CBA, Uribe could have been cheap labor for 29 teams in 2009.

dickallen15
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Unfortunately, thanks to the CBA, Uribe could have been cheap labor for 29 teams in 2009.

The Sox could have signed him for $1 million if he agreed.

soxfanreggie
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I was hoping the Sox could get him for $2 or 3 million and that he would agree to be a super-sub again; however, after having a much-improved second half, he was going to seek more elsewhere.

DeadMoney
06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
The Sox could have signed him for $1 million if he agreed.
I was hoping the Sox could get him for $2 or 3 million and that he would agree to be a super-sub again; however, after having a much-improved second half, he was going to seek more elsewhere.

The Sox couldn't have; but as doublem mentioned, only 29 other teams could've had him at those prices due to this (http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2003/01/transactions-glossary.html):
"Renewal
A club may unilaterally renew the contract of a player not yet eligible for arbitration if the club and the player fail to agree on a salary. A club may not renew a contract at a salary less than 80% of the player’s salary and performance bonuses the previous year or less than 70% of his salary and performance bonuses from two years earlier..."

So, as I understand it, the Sox couldn't have signed him for less than $4M (he was paid $5M in '08 by the Sox).