PDA

View Full Version : Name your "untouchables"

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Which players would you never in a million years want traded?

Mine:

Pitching - Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks
Fielding - Dye, AJ, Konerko

Rohan
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Just Konerko

JB98
06-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Pitchers: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Thornton
Position players: AJ and Beckham

There are others that I wouldn't be eager to trade, but those are the only six on the current roster that I wouldn't part with under ANY circumstance.

BleacherBandit
06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
This is a bit easy, I guess.

Pitching: Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Thornton

Position: AJ (we don't have another C option), Dye, Beckham, Alexei, and Dye (we need a slugger for next year)

Although I think it's a bit imperative that you trade Konerko, I secretly hope they don't because he's my favorite Sox player of all time.

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Pitchers: Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Thornton
Position players: AJ and Beckham

There are others that I wouldn't be eager to trade, but those are the only six on the current roster that I wouldn't part with under ANY circumstance.

I'd also add TCM. I'd be hesitant to part with TCQ but there's this part of me that suspects he might never stay healthy for a full season.

JB98
06-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I'd also add TCM. I'd be hesitant to part with TCQ but there's this part of me that suspects he might never stay healthy for a full season.

I would not be eager to trade Ramirez or Quentin. But I would stop short of calling them untouchable.

Konerko05
06-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Danks.

DumpJerry
I guess it's too late to save these guys:
:R&R
:whiner:

BleacherBandit
I would not be eager to trade Ramirez or Quentin. But I would stop short of calling them untouchable.

I think that since he's on the DL, most of us are forgetting that he's still eligible for this questionairre. I'll add him to my list, naturally.

TheVulture
06-11-2009, 12:46 AM
I wouldn't say any are untouchable, Buehrle probably the closest.

But the core to continue to build around that I'd rather not deal would be:

Ramirez, Quentin, Beckham, AJ for a couple more years, Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Jenks, Thornton.

Whitesoxfan23
06-11-2009, 12:47 AM
Pitchers: Buehrle, Floyd, Thornton, maybe Danks if he continues to pitch well

Fielding: Quentin, and Beckham.

Shoeless_Jeff
06-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Buehrle
Pierzynski
Beckham
Getz
Danks
Jenks

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Pitching: Buehrle, Danks, Jenks, Floyd and Thornton.

Hitting: Konerko, Quentin, Pierzynski and Beckham. Everyone else, I honestly would not mind seeing moved. Ramirez seems more and more like an average ballplayer, and Dye is overated IMO.

jcw218
06-11-2009, 02:12 AM
I would not consider anyone as being untouchable. It all depends on what the return package would be.

I personally would be very hesitant to trade Buehrle, Floyd, Jenks, Danks, Beckham, Thornton, AJ, Ramirez, and maybe Dye. Any one else it would not bother me if traded.

DSpivack
06-11-2009, 02:45 AM
No one, as long as there are GM's dumb enough.

Marqhead
06-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Pitchers: Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, Thornton
Position: Quentin, Ramirez, Bacon

getonbckthr
06-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Danks, Beckham, Alexei and Quentin

WhiteSox1989
06-11-2009, 06:51 AM
Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Pierzynski, Beckham, Ramirez, and I'll wait it out on Quentin.

Also, Paulie isn't necessarily untouchable, but the day he's not in a Sox uniform will be a very sad day for me.

jabrch
06-11-2009, 07:03 AM
Nobody (sans Beckham) is untouchable in my mind.... If someone wants to blow us away, I'd listen to anything. (I guess even if the right deal was out there for Gordon, there's no reason not to listen.

That said, I'd be least likely to move MB, Gavin, Danks, TCQ and TCM.

24thStFan
06-11-2009, 07:12 AM
Pitching - Buehrle, Danks, Thornton, Jenks
Fielding - Dye, AJ, Ramirez, Beckham

A blend of mature leadership and youthful potential.

Craig Grebeck
06-11-2009, 07:38 AM
I have no idea why people are so hesitant to move AJ.

Mine are Danks, Beckham, Flowers and Danks the younger on the farm.

Marqhead
06-11-2009, 07:47 AM

This is puzzling me as well, he's going to be gone in a year anyways, and he's been less than spectacular this season.

BigPapaPump
06-11-2009, 07:48 AM

I second that. I love AJ, but I think Flowers is the future.

Carolina Kenny
06-11-2009, 07:53 AM
If the deal is right, we have no untouchables.

This is the last gasp for what's left of the 2005-2006 guys.

Time moves on and so will the Sox.

CLR01
06-11-2009, 07:57 AM
Brando

KyWhiSoxFan
06-11-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure anyone is untouchable. If you get a ridiculous offer for one of the players, you would have to take it.

I would view this more of a question of who you build the team around, because clearly the team will look a lot different in 2010 and particularly in 2011, as the older players are traded, retired, etc.

I would build the team around Beckham, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Quentin. That means there are a lot of big pieces to fill in via trade or free agency. I would expect a couple of positions to be filled by players now at Birmingham by 2011, but only a couple.

24thStFan
06-11-2009, 08:18 AM

AJ is the only guy on the team who shows any emotion and is willing to mix it up to get the team going. He also is great with the pitching staff.

Haven't seen Flowers much (I live in FLA), but if he's ready--bring him up now and have him learn at the feet of AJ.

beasly213
06-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Buehrle
Danks
AJ

I don't want to trade Dye or Konerko but they aren't "Untouchable" Everyone else is fair game.

SOXSINCE'70
06-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Eliot Ness.:D:. He's the original "Untouchable" .

SCCWS
06-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Which players would you never in a million years want traded?

Mine:

Pitching - Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Thornton, Jenks
Fielding - Dye, AJ, Konerko

I am confused w your rationale. In order to get value, the Sox have to trade value. That means the 5 average/above average pitchers who you don't want to trade. The rest of the staff are worth lower prospects. From a fielding standpoint, you want to unload Ramirez and TCQ both of whom have questionale value at this point. All the rest of the position players are again only worth lower prospects.

If KW wants to acquire value, he has to trade a valuable ML roster player to acquire another one. Hopefully you can attract Boston or New York and get extra value in return. For example, if you think Flowers is the answer down the road, you could trade AJ now while he has some value for a starting 2nd or 3rd baseman. Maybe package Konerko or Dye w a Danks or Floyd or Thornton if you think Poreda is the real deal and get an outfielder/leadoff batter.

The Red Sox own the Yankees this year. I would approach NY and offer Buehrle or Thornton and see if I could get a package of players back. Yankees may be desperate right now.

Harry Chappas
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Pitchers: Danks, Buehrle, Floyd, Thornton
Position: Quentin, Ramirez, Bacon

Same as mine although I'd add A.J. because they need somebody with an "edge" to them.

If KW blows this thing up, I'm not sure Konerko will yield much given his chronic hand problem. I would imagine that Jenks and Dye would be most valuable and Thome might draw interest for a team desperate for left-handed power at DH.

Rockin Robin
06-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Gobble.

No but seriously. AJ, Beckham, Alexei, Danks (both of them), Buehrle, Floyd, Thornton

Eddo144
06-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Why is everyone saying Thornton is untouchable? Middle relievers are notoriously inconsistent year to year. How many of you would have said Cotts and Politte were untouchable following the 2005 season?

If anything, Thornton is the player I'm actively shopping, right now. There must be a contender in need of a solid setup guy that is willing to give us good value for Thornton.

As others have said, no one is truly untouchable either. What if you were offered Hanley Ramirez for Gordon Beckham? I have high hopes for Beckham, but I'd take that in a minute.

soltrain21
06-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Beckham, Alexei, Danks x2, Buerhle, Floyd, Quentin

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
A lot of people are focusing only on the MLB roster. What prospects are untouchable, if any? I personally don't think anyone is untouchable, and I doubt KW does either. He is ALWAYS willing to listen to any offers. As much as I'd hate to see them go, Thorton, Jenks, and Buehrle probably have the most trade value right now. And, I have a feeling if this season gets out of reach, one of Thorton/Jenks will not be here after the AS break.

Dibbs
06-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Buehrle, Danks and Beckham

kaufsox
06-11-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm in the "no untouchables" at this point and most of the untouchable lists are the players that teams are going to want. In fact I would be actively shopping just about everybody to see what I could get back. I wouldn't say I'm in a fire sale mode, but as someone mentioned if the Yankees come calling with a rediculous offer for a power hitter and a pitcher I think the Sox have to listen.

KyWhiSoxFan
06-11-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm not sure why people would list Alexei as untouchable. He does not embody what I would ideally want in my shortstop: Dependability. I think the shortstop sets the tone in many ways for a team. Alexei is not a great fielder; he can be erratic, and at the plate he is definitely erratic, a free swinger with no plate discipline.

In the latter respect, he follows in the tradition of Uribe, and,yes, they won a World Series with Uribe, but Uribe's value was in the field; they did not need his bat. In the field in 2005, Uribe was very good. He was solid and dependable no matter what he did at the plate. I don't see that quality in Ramirez.

I think at some point the Sox are going to have to consider Beckham at SS or 2B and when that happens, they will take a hard look at Ramirez's value. I don't see Beckham at 3B beyond this year.

Domeshot17
06-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I tend to agree with the no one statement.

I love Burls, he is the face of the Sox, if we could trade him for Cole Hamels or Johan Santana, yes, I deal him.

If Quentin or Danks or Floyd could land us Halladay or someone of that calibur, Albert Pujols, yes I deal them.

No one is ever untouchable, it is just for the right offer.

CHISOXFAN13
06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
I love PK and am grateful for his 10 years of service and contributions to this organization, but his power numbers are down and he makes 12 million a year. If someone wants to take that off our hands, please do.

My untouchables:

Buerhle, Floyd, Danks and Thornton.

Quentin, Beckham and Ramirez.

UChicagoHP
06-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Quentin is probably the only guy who is too good to be traded. I'd move anyone else if the right offer came along.

DirtySox
06-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Danks, Beckham, Flowers, and Allen. Mainly because I really like Brandon Allen. Though in all actuality he is rather expendable in a trade.

SoxGirl4Life
06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Big Club: Burls, Danks, Bacon, Paulie, AJ, Thornton, Poreda, Floyd, Q

Minors: Allen, Flowers, little Danks, any of the new kids we just drafted-gotta see what they got.

Tragg
06-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Labelling every good young player as untouchable defeats the purpose...those are the guys who bring value.

One player I'd consider is Thornton. He's close to the best lefty reliever in the league. The peak of the market value of relievers is at midseason; plus he's a really good one. I'd dangle him and see what nibbles are out there. They could be signficant.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Quentin is probably the only guy who is too good to be traded. I'd move anyone else if the right offer came along.

I think him being injury-prone is the only real reason he might not be tradeable.

Labelling every good young player as untouchable defeats the purpose...those are the guys who bring value.

One player I'd consider is Thornton. He's close to the best lefty reliever in the league. The peak of the market value of relievers is at midseason; plus he's a really good one. I'd dangle him and see what nibbles are out there. They could be signficant.

I really think that him or Jenks will be gone by mid-season. They are the most tradeable and the most valueable.

bigdommer
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Thornton has cheap club options for both 2010 and 2011, so I think he is untouchable this year. If you want to compete in 10 or 11, you need him, and you can always move him later and get similar value.

While no one is completely untouchable, I would not move these guys for these reasons:
-Beckham, Floyd, TCM, TCQ, Bacon, Danks (young core)
-MB (dependable, reliable, fan favorite, affordable)
-Paulie & Dye (just because I don't think they will fetch fair value)
-Jenks & Thornton (more valuable in 10 & 11)

So, I guess I would move Dotel, Pods, Thome, Fields, and AJ if a deal came along.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Thornton has cheap club options for both 2010 and 2011, so I think he is untouchable this year. If you want to compete in 10 or 11, you need him, and you can always move him later and get similar value.

While no one is completely untouchable, I would not move these guys for these reasons:

So, I guess I would move Dotel, Pods, Thome, Fields, and AJ if a deal came along.

Good perspective on Thornton. With Dotel being a FA next year (correct?), he seems to be very tradeable to a contender come the trade deadline.

bigdommer
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Good perspective on Thornton. With Dotel being a FA next year (correct?), he seems to be very tradeable to a contender come the trade deadline.

Dotel makes $6MM and is in the last year of his contract. Unless we are in the division lead come trade deadline, I would be shocked if he is not traded. With the way he is pitching, he could fetch multiple mid-level prospects.

Over By There
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
For me, only Quentin and Beckham are untouchable.

I would expect a haul if we included Burls, Danks, Floyd, Poreda or Alexei but I wouldn't hesitate to dangle them if the price was right.

Everyone else should be on the table as far as I'm concerned. If we continue to play this poorly over the next several weeks, I'd be mightily disappointed if KW isn't actively shopping JD, PK, AJ and Dotel.

MHOUSE
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Our future lineup (3-5 years) is centered around TCQ (if healthy), Alexei, and Beckham. The pitching staff should be anchored by Danks, Floyd, and Burls. Beyond that, I don't think anyone else is "untouchable". I think we need AJ for a couple more years since Flowers might not play catcher or be ready yet and as much as I love Jenks and Thornton, bullpens never seem to stay intact or reliable for more than a season at a time. Jenks could balloon up or Thornton could have a couple down years real quick. For the right deal, I'd let them go. I also love Paulie, but if someone would take an aging first baseman off our hands, I would let them. Saying it outloud, we have a lot of question marks going forward....

C - AJ
1B - Allen
2B - Beckham
3B - Viciendo
SS- Alexei
LF - TCQ
CF - Jared Mitchell?
RF - J. Danks?
DH - Flowers

Danks
Floyd
Burls
Poreda
Richard? Marquez?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Danks
Floyd
Bacon
Alexei
JD (for DH)
Ozzie(even though he's not for sale, but we don't need to discard him)

I agree with others - this train keeps rolling like it is now, for sale tags should be printed and passed out.

soxinem1
06-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I guess it's too late to save these guys:
:R&R
:whiner:

And the park they are in. :mad:

Mr. White Sox
06-11-2009, 01:14 PM
On the current 25-man:

Beckham, Danks, Thornton, Alexei (cheap), Buehrle (he just wouldn't bring back enough value, plus he's awesome)

PhillipsBubba
06-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Danks, Quentin, Beckham and Jenks

http://www.clker.com/cliparts/0/2/d/1/12065599341039320543nicubunu_Waving_white_flag.svg .med.png

LoveYourSuit
06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Everyone could be had for the right price.

Even Beckham.

BadBobbyJenks
06-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Beckham, TCQ, Danks and Buehrle

sox1970
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
If someone wanted to take Buehrle's contract right now, I'd move him in a second for the right players.

Right now out of the guys on the 40-man, I would not want them to trade Allen, Beckham, Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Thornton, or Viciedo.

Anyone else is up for grabs in the right deal.

jdm2662
06-11-2009, 03:38 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/8539/54245ec01323f47i3.jpg

"Everyone's got a price"

Eddo144
06-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Sure, he'll cheap, but due to the nature of relief pitchers, you have no idea if he'll be any good. That's why he's the most logical trade bait right now.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 04:07 PM
One of the names that I've seen most often is Carlos Quentin. Just being devil's advocate here, but can we objectively be sure that he is one of the players that we want to build the future Chicago White Sox around (w/ him being so injury prone)?

CHISOXFAN13
06-11-2009, 04:18 PM
One of the names that I've seen most often is Carlos Quentin. Just being devil's advocate here, but can we objectively be sure that he is one of the players that we want to build the future Chicago White Sox around (w/ him being so injury prone)?

He doesn't make a lot of money and when healthy has been very solid. That's my reasoning.

It's Dankerific
06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Pitching: Danks, Mark, Floyd, Thorton
Fielding: Brian, Gordon, AJ, TCQ

Management: Cooper

tm1119
06-11-2009, 06:43 PM
I honestly would trade AJ to whoever is willing to take him. All of this talk about "edge" is crazy. Having an edge is great but at some point you have to back it up on the field. If I wanted "edge" I'd sign a bench player for a million a year, not AJ for 7 mil a year to put up subpar #'s. In other words, AJ is very replaceable and I would be more than willing to move him if a team is willing to take his contract.

My untouchables: Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Alexei, Beckham

ramblinsoxfan11
06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Pitching: Beuhrle, Floyd and Danks
Fielding: Konerko, Beckham, and AJ

If TCQ was healthy and playing like he did last season I could deal with the Sox trading Dye and having a Quentin, Anderson, Pods outfield. We could afford to trade Jenks as well, although he has been consistently great for the Sox we can't use him if we can't get the lead...

Sargeant79
06-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Absolutely no one. There is a price for any player that may or may not be met, but anyone could be moved for the right deal.

A. Cavatica
06-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Quentin.

Tragg
06-11-2009, 08:58 PM

IF he keeps pitching this well. IF.
My guess is he's at peak performance.

Don't the club options move with the player? So they cheapness increases his value - right?

tsoxman
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Absolutely no one. There is a price for any player that may or may not be met, but anyone could be moved for the right deal.

Congratulations. You have won the game..You get it....If you hoard every player that has any value like Thorton and Jenks, how can you expect to get anything of valuein return?

Brian26
06-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Buehrle.

Bucky F. Dent
06-11-2009, 09:04 PM
As they say in the car commercials, "no reasonable offer will be refused."

drewcifer
06-11-2009, 09:09 PM
Congratulations. You have won the game..You get it....If you hoard every player that has any value like Thorton and Jenks, how can you expect to get anything of valuein return?

Because you have to have a core to build a team. You must. I agree that any/all offers should be listened to, though.

As of now, I'd prefer to build a core around Danks and Floyd. Those 2 would be my "untouchables". I'd consider trades for anyone/everyone else but not in any combination.

I'll give an example - Buehrle is just a horse. He's a Sox through and through. You don't give him up unless he's going to get you a Grady Sizemore (and don't talk to me about this year's stats) or an Evan Longoria. But if you are offered that in trade, you absolutely take it. That's $14M per year off, that gets you day in/day out talent plus free $ for other things.

It's almost impossible to say that someone is untouchable if the right deal can be had and there have been so many deals like this, even recently, that teams have made.

Jerome
06-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Luol Deng

kitekrazy
06-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't believe in trading strong starting pitching. That's the hardest thing to replace in baseball.

drewcifer
06-11-2009, 10:09 PM
I don't believe in trading strong starting pitching. That's the hardest thing to replace in baseball. Got to get alot for a solid SP, no question. It can be done.

See the [other] Zambrano for Kazmir trade, though a few years back. You can trade a good pitcher for prospect and win big.

That put a GM out of a job, actually.

DSpivack
06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Got to get alot for a solid SP, no question. It can be done.

See the [other] Zambrano for Kazmir trade, though a few years back. You can trade a good pitcher for prospect and win big.

That put a GM out of a job, actually.

That was an absolutely idiotic trade on the Mets' part. I wouldn't rely on anyone to commit a similar mistake today, but hey, maybe there's one idiot out there.

bigdommer
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
IF he keeps pitching this well. IF.
My guess is he's at peak performance.

Don't the club options move with the player? So they cheapness increases his value - right?

You can say "if" all day and none of this matters. IF the players get locked out or go on strike, or IF all of these guys get busted for steroids, or IF Reinsdorf gets caught in a Madoff-like scam, once again, none fo this matters.

Thornton has been dominant the past two years and he has been very consistent. IF the Sox plan on rebuilding and not competing until 2011 or beyond, then they should move him. However, I think IF they want to compete next year, I do not see anyone in the bullpen that can bridge the gap from the starters to Jenks.

You are correct, the options travel with him, so his cheapness increases his value. However, teams that are in a "buy" mode will overpay for guys to help them this year, and they discount how "cheap" he will be down the road. Value is all relative.

ike from nj
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
One thing for sure... AJ is no untouchable. More likely untradeable. Sox need improvement from catcher position for next year. Last night was a perfect example. Solo HR but left 6 runners on.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Thornton, Jenks, Konerko, Beckham, Quentin.

Shoeless
06-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Buehrle, Floyd, Danks, Thornton, Jenks, Konerko, Beckham, Quentin.

I agree with everyone except Konerko

BigP50
06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree with everyone except Konerko

yea, if we are not gonna do anything this year mind as well steal some young talent from another ball club and see how Allen does

parlaycard
06-14-2009, 11:21 AM
The list of untouchables is below.

Windy City
06-14-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't think the White Sox have a host of players that would be considered untouchable at this point. I believe every player on that roster with the exception of Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Ramirez and Beckham can be moved.

I know the AL Central is not the toughest division in baseball, but fans and Kenny Williams will have to ask can the Sox be in a position to win the World Series not only this year, but in years to come with the current players on the roster?

Sox
06-14-2009, 04:38 PM
Elliott Ness......:redneck I kid...I kid.

jabrch
06-14-2009, 05:01 PM
Our future lineup (3-5 years) is centered around TCQ (if healthy), Alexei, and Beckham. The pitching staff should be anchored by Danks, Floyd, and Burls. Beyond that, I don't think anyone else is "untouchable". I think we need AJ for a couple more years since Flowers might not play catcher or be ready yet and as much as I love Jenks and Thornton, bullpens never seem to stay intact or reliable for more than a season at a time. Jenks could balloon up or Thornton could have a couple down years real quick. For the right deal, I'd let them go. I also love Paulie, but if someone would take an aging first baseman off our hands, I would let them. Saying it outloud, we have a lot of question marks going forward....

C - AJ
1B - Allen
2B - Beckham
3B - Viciendo
SS- Alexei
LF - TCQ
CF - Jared Mitchell?
RF - J. Danks?
DH - Flowers

Danks
Floyd
Burls
Poreda
Richard? Marquez?

So your assumption is that we will not go out and sign a single FA or acquire a single veteran player in the next 3 years?

Right....

Tragg
06-14-2009, 05:06 PM
You can say "if" all day and none of this matters. IF the players get locked out or go on strike, or IF all of these guys get busted for steroids, or IF Reinsdorf gets caught in a Madoff-like scam, once again, none fo this matters.

Thornton has been dominant the past two years and he has been very consistent. IF the Sox plan on rebuilding and not competing until 2011 or beyond, then they should move him. However, I think IF they want to compete next year, I do not see anyone in the bullpen that can bridge the gap from the starters to Jenks.

You are correct, the options travel with him, so his cheapness increases his value. However, teams that are in a "buy" mode will overpay for guys to help them this year, and they discount how "cheap" he will be down the road. Value is all relative.
I'm well aware of how well he's pitching, which is why I said he's perhaps the best lefty reliever in the league. For the Sox to contend for the next few years, they need some more talent. This is a .500 team. And you don't get that talent by shuffling off the declining veterans or failed prospects. Thornton or even a Dotel would bring an inflated price. If the deal is really good, I'd trade either.