PDA

View Full Version : Worst homestand since...???

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
I can't recall a worse homestand than this one in a long time. We're currently 3-8 and are guaranteed series losses in all 3 series. Can any of you recall a worse homestand? I'm sure there have been some.

Harry Potter
06-10-2009, 11:07 PM
During that horrible 2007 campaign, the Sox had two homestands in June, going 2-5 and 1-5 (with a 1-5 road trip to Philly and Pit in between).

That 4-15 stretch was culminated by the Northsiders sweeping us at USCF

JB98
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I would say the last homestand this bad was in June of 2007, when they dropped two of three to the Marlins and got swept by the Cubs.

DumpJerry
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
We had some doozies in the 70's.

Lip Man 1
06-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Try 1968 or 1969.

Lip

johnnyg83
06-11-2009, 10:40 AM
The worst thing about this home stand is the hope we had coming into it.

No games more than 90 miles away for weeks ... a .500 record ... and it's just fallen apart.

TommyJohn
06-11-2009, 12:17 PM
We had some doozies in the 70's.

Try 1968 or 1969.

Lip

If time travel existed, I'd make every fan who overstates how bad everything is (worst ever ever ever!) go back in time and sit through every single game in 1968, 1969 or 1970. Perhaps all three. If they don't come back to the present properly chastened, then they are beyond hope.

peelwonder
06-11-2009, 12:32 PM
Eeek.....

56-106

Johnny Mostil
06-11-2009, 05:20 PM
The one from 8/27/81 to 9/9/81 was pretty bad. One reason for that, of course, was '81 was just a crappy year, with the strike shattering what had looked to be a promising season for the Sox, who were 31-22 before the "break." When play resumed, they did fairly well, going 9-6 on a 15-game trip. But then they played a 3-11 homestand . . .

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
The one from 8/27/81 to 9/9/81 was pretty bad. One reason for that, of course, was '81 was just a crappy year, with the strike shattering what had looked to be a promising season for the Sox, who were 31-22 before the "break." When play resumed, they did fairly well, going 9-6 on a 15-game trip. But then they played a 3-11 homestand . . .

That might compete with this homestand then, the reason this one hurts is because we were in pretty good shape coming off the road and things seemed to look pretty good as we were coming home. Then we pissed it away. In '07 we were pretty much dead by the time we came home and we were dead out of the gate most years in the '70s.

TommyJohn
06-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I remember all of June, 1987 being a vast, rotund barrell of suckage. The team went something like 7-21. That's pretty much the worst I recall offhand.

Johnny Mostil
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
That might compete with this homestand then, the reason this one hurts is because we were in pretty good shape coming off the road and things seemed to look pretty good as we were coming home. Then we pissed it away. In '07 we were pretty much dead by the time we came home and we were dead out of the gate most years in the '70s.

For whatever reason, the '81 mess bugged me more. Maybe because the Sox had been so crappy for so long and it looked like things were finally turning around only to have the strike and that disastrous homestand kill any hope. I didn't really expect much from this team, or have been satisfied with relatively decent records in recent years or I have more solid hope for the organization now than I did then. Of course, I admit at some point we're arguing over whose pile of steaming pile of crap is steaming more . . .

I remember all of June, 1987 being a vast, rotund barrell of suckage. The team went something like 7-21. That's pretty much the worst I recall offhand.

Yep, 7-21. But a team I expected very, very little from (and they didn't disappoint!). To be fair, I should also note they ended the season on a 16-4 run . . .

DumpJerry
06-11-2009, 07:36 PM
If time travel existed, I'd make every fan who overstates how bad everything is (worst ever ever ever!) go back in time and sit through every single game in 1968, 1969 or 1970. Perhaps all three. If they don't come back to the present properly chastened, then they are beyond hope.
There are Sox fans still in therapy because of that time period.

ode to veeck
06-11-2009, 08:21 PM
There are Sox fans still in therapy because of that time period.

we watch our HD DVRs of the 05 playoffs for temporary therapy

guillensdisciple
06-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Hahaha, that is why I refuse to complain about the product on the field unless they win 60 games all year.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2009, 09:05 PM
we watch our HD DVRs of the 05 playoffs for temporary therapy
They played the entire 2005 World Series DVD on the jumbotron during the rain delay. That was nice to see!

jdm2662
06-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Yeah, and they went 22-7 in Sept and Oct. To think had they been even 5 games under .500 in Sept, they would've won the division...

soxinem1
06-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, and they went 22-7 in Sept and Oct. To think had they been even 5 games under .500 in Sept, they would've won the division...

I remember that season well. After starting 2-0, they went into a 2 1/2 month funk which included the brutal homestand mentioned here a few times. It didn't help that the starting C and 1B, Ron Karkovice and Greg Walker, were hitting .100 or less, Bob James came in at about 300 lbs. with no fastball, or that Neil Allen, the #5 starter entering the season, had a 7+ ERA and didn't win a game.

Jose DeLeon had a car accident and pitched BP for about three weeks before getting his **** together, Harold went on the DL Opening Week and missed a month with what would be the continuing knee injuries that ended his OF career (and his 1986 season). Calderon missed a lot of time early on too, and Tim Hulett, the starting 3B, was the only guy hitting early, then he stopped hitting and got shipped to AAA for almost nearly the entire remainder of the season.

That team was in last place by far at the break, IIRC.

Then Floyd Bannister, who was on the trade block before the ASB, did his 1983 second half imitation, Dave LaPoint came over from STL's AAA team and threw like an ace, and Dotson and DeLeon began to pitch well.

But once they got Redus out of CF and put the future GM, KW, there and moved him to LF. Calderon hit like gang-busters in RF, Fisk started catching and hitting again, and Walker tore the cover off the ball. They were fun to watch, even with Donnie Hill playing 3B too much.

The one thing I'll remember most abut 1987 is the Opening Day line up. They won with it, and Fregosi never used it again.

TommyJohn
06-12-2009, 12:55 PM
I remember that season well. After starting 2-0, they went into a 2 1/2 month funk which included the brutal homestand mentioned here a few times. It didn't help that the starting C and 1B, Ron Karkovice and Greg Walker, were hitting .100 or less, Bob James came in at about 300 lbs. with no fastball, or that Neil Allen, the #5 starter entering the season, had a 7+ ERA and didn't win a game.

Jose DeLeon had a car accident and pitched BP for about three weeks before getting his **** together, Harold went on the DL Opening Week and missed a month with what would be the continuing knee injuries that ended his OF career (and his 1986 season). Calderon missed a lot of time early on too, and Tim Hulett, the starting 3B, was the only guy hitting early, then he stopped hitting and got shipped to AAA for almost nearly the entire remainder of the season.

That team was in last place by far at the break, IIRC.

Then Floyd Bannister, who was on the trade block before the ASB, did his 1983 second half imitation, Dave LaPoint came over from STL's AAA team and threw like an ace, and Dotson and DeLeon began to pitch well.

But once they got Redus out of CF and put the future GM, KW, there and moved him to LF. Calderon hit like gang-busters in RF, Fisk started catching and hitting again, and Walker tore the cover off the ball. They were fun to watch, even with Donnie Hill playing 3B too much.

The one thing I'll remember most abut 1987 is the Opening Day line up. They won with it, and Fregosi never used it again. I remember two things about 1987-first, that they were on a pace to equal the record of the 1970 dregs-56-106. Second, They had the worst record in the AL before the All-Star break, and the best record after it.