PDA

View Full Version : Konerko to the DL??

BigP50
06-10-2009, 10:49 PM
On post game live they said that Paulie could be headed to the DL, who would play first? Jim is to old, Jermaine could but are outfield isn't very good to start with. Maybe Josh? He went in for Pauly and did a decent job. Or I think we should go trade.

Harry Potter
06-10-2009, 10:51 PM
Resign Betemit

TheAnswer32
Daryle Ward

Martinigirl
Oh we are just so screwed.

CHISOXFAN13
06-10-2009, 10:52 PM
On post game live they said that Paulie could be headed to the DL, who would play first? Jim is to old, Jermaine could but are outfield isn't very good to start with. Maybe Josh? He went in for Pauly and did a decent job. Or I think we should go trade.

Trade for who?

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I heard Big Frank is gonna suit up.

DirtySox
06-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Fields will play 1st. They won't bring up Daryle Ward to start. Maybe as a backup.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 10:55 PM
I'd put Thome out there for at least a few games. I bet it would be Fields, though. This sucks MAJORLY if it happens, because we'll already be down a hitter the next 9 games after tomorrow due to the stupid NL rule that the pitcher has to bat. If Konerko goes down, we'd really be down ANOTHER hitter.

Yikes.

BleacherBandit
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I hear that if it's a bone bruise, he's not going to go on the DL, much like most of last season when he played through it. He'll just suck at hitting for the rest of the season instead of letting Fields be terrible in his place.

Rohan
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Fields will play 1st. They won't bring up Daryle Ward to start. Maybe as a backup.

It'll be Fields. No doubt. It'll be interesting to see who they bring up to take Konerko's place on the roster though.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
How's the Allen kid doing right now in Birmingham ?

Soxman219
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
We are screwed.

:(:

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
I hear that if it's a bone bruise, he's not going to go on the DL, much like most of last season when he played through it. He'll just suck at hitting for the rest of the season instead of letting Fields be terrible in his place.
The postgame show said it was a ligament in his hand.

Baron
06-10-2009, 11:00 PM
The postgame show said it was a ligament in his hand.

Ya it was hanging off the bone I think they said.

Harry Potter
06-10-2009, 11:02 PM
Ozzie said in his presser that he won't risk the health of Thome the remainder of the season by putting him at 1B.

Looking like its Fields or Bust

ShoelessJoeS
I hear that if it's a bone bruise, he's not going to go on the DL, much like most of last season when he played through it. He'll just suck at hitting for the rest of the season instead of letting Fields be terrible in his place.OK, this made me LOL. :D:

DirtySox
How's the Allen kid doing right now in Birmingham ?

He is doing good. He is due for a promotion to AAA in the coming weeks. I dunno if he would get a callup with Fields available though.

Konerko05
06-10-2009, 11:03 PM
I'd put Thome out there for at least a few games. I bet it would be Fields, though. This sucks MAJORLY if it happens, because we'll already be down a hitter the next 9 games after tomorrow due to the stupid NL rule that the pitcher has to bat. If Konerko goes down, we'd really be down ANOTHER hitter.

Yikes.

No thanks. Unless you want Thome to be next in line to go on the DL.

BleacherBandit
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
OK, this made me LOL. :D:

Why, becuase it's a loose ligament instead of a bone bruise? I guess I was just mistaken.

DSpivack
06-10-2009, 11:08 PM
He is doing good. He is due for a promotion to AAA in the coming weeks. I dunno if he would get a callup with Fields available though.

More importantly, though, which many seem to ignore, would he be ready for a call-up?

voodoochile
06-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Would explain his loss of bat speed and power recently. He's been in a funk for a couple of weeks now...

billyvsox
06-10-2009, 11:11 PM

Bring Allen up, why would we want to even consider Field's there.....anybody who thinks he is anything more then a AAA player at best is insane! A "power hitter" with no power who strikes out all the time and is hooible defensively....Name another guy in MLB like that...name one

DirtySox
06-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Bring Allen up, why would we want to even consider Field's there.....anybody who thinks he is anything more then a AAA player at best is insane! A "power hitter" with no power who strikes out all the time and is hooible defensively....Name another guy in MLB like that...name one

Because Allen could use more time in the minors. You also want to see what you really have in Fields and by playing him he is being showcased as tradebait as well.

billyvsox
06-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Because Allen could use more time in the minors. You also want to see what you really have in Fields and by playing him he is being showcased as tradebait as well.

More time for what??? Other teams bring up their prospects to see if they are ready. The league is filled with young guys who are contributing, just not our team.

Fields being 'showcased"?....LOL...his trade value goes DOWN each at bat

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2009, 11:17 PM

Why, becuase it's a loose ligament instead of a bone bruise? I guess I was just mistaken.No, this.

BleacherBandit
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
No, this.

Oh. Thanks. I appreciate it.

:redface:

DirtySox
06-10-2009, 11:19 PM
More time for what??? Other teams bring up their prospects to see if they are ready. The league is filled with young guys who are contributing, just not our team.

So we should just rush all the prospects even if they aren't ready? Sounds good to me. Development be damned.

DSpivack
06-10-2009, 11:20 PM

More time to develop. You bring up a prospect when he's ready for the majors, not to fit some agenda of 'getting younger'.

dickallen15
06-10-2009, 11:26 PM
You do realize the Sox after tomorrow play 9 in a row without a DH. If Paulie can't play, and Thome is riding pine, its probably only going to get uglier.

DirtySox
06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
You do realize the Sox after tomorrow play 9 in a row without a DH. If Paulie can't play, and Thome is riding pine, its probably only going to get uglier.

I think the Brewers series is going to be straight up fugly. That team can mash.

DumpJerry
06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Having Thome play first will guarantee Jim goes on the DL. His back can't take all that bending over between each pitch.

JB98
06-10-2009, 11:28 PM

JD would be left alone with no protection in the middle of this lineup. Sigh....

hi im skot
06-10-2009, 11:34 PM
The nightmare continues.

DSpivack
06-10-2009, 11:37 PM
JD would be left alone with no protection in the middle of this lineup. Sigh....

Wow, I didn't even think of that. Yep, that's gonna be yoogly.

Craig Grebeck
06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Brandon Allen

Foulke You
06-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Time for The Big Hurt to grab his first baseman mitt once again! :cool:

BigP50
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Brandon Allen

I agree, mind as well get him some Major League at bats cause this season isn't going anywhere

Konerko05
06-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Brandon Allen

Yep. This lineup is about to get really ugly in the NL parks. The Sox might as well at least try to get some production out of 1B.

WhiteSoxOnly
06-10-2009, 11:57 PM
Wow, I didn't even think of that. Yep, that's gonna be yoogly.

Something like this ?

Pods
Ramirez
Dye
AJ
Fields
Beckham
BA
Getz/Nix
Pitcher

I just crapped myself.

JB98
06-10-2009, 11:59 PM
Fields as a No. 5 hitter? God help us. The man can't even hit a straight fastball.

michned
06-11-2009, 12:00 AM
Resign Betemit

Although that was in teal (and I am NOT condoning this), if Betemit clears waivers couldn't they technically put him back on the 25-man roster, or at least outright him to Charlotte and then bring him back?

ramblinsoxfan11
06-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Does anyone know how long Paulie will be out for?

WhiteSoxOnly
06-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Fields as a No. 5 hitter? God help us. The man can't even hit a straight fastball.

I hear he's deadly against a pitching machine.

DSpivack
06-11-2009, 12:19 AM
Yep. This lineup is about to get really ugly in the NL parks. The Sox might as well at least try to get some production out of 1B.

I agree, mind as well get him some Major League at bats cause this season isn't going anywhere

Brandon Allen

But is he ready? Bringing up him prematurely is good for neither the present nor the future.

KRS1
06-11-2009, 12:22 AM

No thanks. I'd rather us plug in Josh and ride that wave than rush another young and promising player. I know, "Josh is terrible at everything, he sucks at life, can't field, worst everyday 3b in the ML." Just let him get in there and maybe, just maybe, we can get some value out of him after another hot streak like the couple he rode this season.

DirtySox
06-11-2009, 12:27 AM
No thanks. I'd rather us plug in Josh and ride that wave than rush another young and promising player. I know, "Josh is terrible at everything, he sucks at life, can't field, worst everyday 3b in the ML." Just let him get in there and maybe, just maybe, we can get some value out of him after another hot streak like the couple he rode this season.

I think Brandon is close to ready, but is better off finishing this year out in AAA where he will be promoted to soon. He is one of my favorite prospects and I'd be afraid to rush a player that isn't as highly touted as the can't miss Beckhams and Wieters.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-11-2009, 12:33 AM
This season is getting worse and worse...

russ99
06-11-2009, 12:40 AM
This season is getting worse and worse...

If the ligament is torn, that's probably 4-6 weeks, maybe longer.

I hate to say it but with Paul and Quentin out indefinitely, there's no reason not to bring up some prospects to see what they can do and bench or send down the kids on the roster now who aren't getting it done. I'd like to see at least Brandon Allen and Jordan Danks called up before September, maybe even waive Nix and his .208 average and bring up Treybone Shelby too.

May as well bring something constructive out of this season... If we keep putting out the non-producing "prospects" day after day with no consequences, IMO 2007 will look like a good season in comparison.

gobears1987
06-11-2009, 12:48 AM
If Konerko goes on the DL, call up Allen. Besides, I like Sox first basemen with that last name.

DSpivack
06-11-2009, 01:00 AM

I hate to say it but with Paul and Quentin out indefinitely, there's no reason not to bring up some prospects to see what they can do and bench or send down the kids on the roster now who aren't getting it done. I'd like to see at least Brandon Allen and Jordan Danks called up before September, maybe even waive Nix and his .208 average and bring up Treybone Shelby too.

May as well bring something constructive out of this season... If we keep putting out the non-producing "prospects" day after day with no consequences, IMO 2007 will look like a good season in comparison.

But are they ready?

Heck, as long as we're at it, why not bring up Hudson and Carter? I mean, it's all about just getting them big league experience, right?

Konerko05
06-11-2009, 01:19 AM

I'm fine with calling Allen up, but that's where the line should be drawn.

Shelby is only hitting .243 on a stacked AA team. I'm not really sure what he could contribute to the major league club.

Calling up Danks this season would most likely be one of those detrimental rush-jobs the Sox are so famous for. Danks has only played 26 games above A-ball and he was never advertised as being anything as close to polished as Beckham. Let's give him some time.

This is Allen's 6th season in the White Sox minor league system. They have moved him along slowly which seems to have paid off. Judging by his stats and reports, he seems to be very close. I don't think calling him up would do any damage to his development.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-11-2009, 02:20 AM

Unfortunately I think you're right. It's a shame too because of how bad this division is. I was talking with my dad after tonight's game and he put it pretty good: They're still not out of it, but only because everyone else is so bad. They aren't going to do much of anything this year, and I think Kenny needs to start getting ready for next season.

If Konerko goes on the DL, call up Allen. Besides, I like Sox first basemen with that last name.

I would love to see the look on Fields' face. I'd love to hear his next remark.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2009, 02:29 AM
No thanks. I'd rather us plug in Josh and ride that wave than rush another young and promising player. I know, "Josh is terrible at everything, he sucks at life, can't field, worst everyday 3b in the ML." Just let him get in there and maybe, just maybe, we can get some value out of him after another hot streak like the couple he rode this season.I am ready to see Fields at first for a bit, kind of like his last chance to prove he can play somewhere, but when did you see "hot streaks" from Fields this year? He's had a couple of periods where he got a couple of hits, but by no means has he had a "hot streak."

KRS1
06-11-2009, 03:40 AM
I am ready to see Fields at first for a bit, kind of like his last chance to prove he can play somewhere, but when did you see "hot streaks" from Fields this year? He's had a couple of periods where he got a couple of hits, but by no means has he had a "hot streak."

I don't know Nellie, those first few weeks he looked like his bat might just make up for his glove and he looked like he found his stroke again in late May. I guess mini hot streaks would be a more appropriate labeling, but he has had some stretches where I thought he might really have a future after all. Regardless, and like you said, I just want to see that, "last chance make the most of it," given to him.

This Paulie injury hurts a bit more seeing how he was probably our best trading chip (one that makes sense of course) if we have to go into white flag mode. Which, btw, I still won't advocate at this point, just stating the obvious. I'm sure Anaheim would have loved to upgrade their 1b situation just to charge the ever-present rumor.

akingamongstmen
06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Something like this ?

Pods
Ramirez
Dye
AJ
Fields
Beckham
BA
Getz/Nix
Pitcher

I just crapped myself.

Oh...My...God

JD won't see a pitch within a foot of the strikezone in that lineup.

Jimmy Piersall
06-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Oh...My...God

JD won't see a pitch within a foot of the strikezone in that lineup.

Pods
Beckham
AJ
JD
TCM
Fields
BA
Getz/Nix
Pitcher

There,much better right ? after a second look,commence barfing.

DirtySox
06-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Oz just said PK should be available tomorrow.

Cowley Twitter (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/2118346694)

hawkjt
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Cowley Twitter (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/2118346694)

Finally, some good news,thank God.
Come back PK,we need ya.

angiew
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I have yet to figure this Twitter thing out....I set up an account just to see what it was all about but I'm completely lost!:D: I just got the hang of facebook:wink:

DirtySox
06-11-2009, 01:11 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/paul-konerko-could-return-as-soon-as-friday-ozzie-guillen-says-no-talk-of-breakup.html

Carolina Kenny
06-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I would put TCM at first and Beckham at SS.

Let Nix play 3rd. Keep sitting Fields. (crybaby).

ike from nj
06-11-2009, 01:23 PM
they'll probably purchase the contract of andy phillips, the ex yankee they have at aaa. he's a good glove at least. he won't be worse driving in runs then half the guys playing now like aj.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 01:38 PM

Huh? So you would play both Getz and Nix, and move TCM from his regular position to play 1B, a position that he's never been tested at.

Carolina Kenny
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Huh? So you would play both Getz and Nix, and move TCM from his regular position to play 1B, a position that he's never been tested at.

I bet TCM would just need a couple of practice sessions to be the best fielding 1B in Sox history (except Mike Squires)

doublem23
06-11-2009, 01:52 PM
I bet TCM would just need a couple of practice sessions to be the best fielding 1B in Sox history (except Mike Squires)

Konerko doesn't get enough credit, but he is an excellent defensive 1B.

spawn
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
That's one thing that hawk says and I totally agree with. I think he's very underrated as a defensive first baseman.

kittle42
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM

I'd also put Mark McGwire at catcher after pinch-hitting for Bill Schroeder, since Schroeder is one of the weaker hitters in the lineup.

Jim Shorts
06-11-2009, 02:03 PM

Why don't we just move Missle to cover the 5th spot in the rotation too. I mean, damn he's got a really strong arm.

illini81887
06-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Konerko injury not as serious. Will play friday or saturday

http://csnchicago.com/pages/soxdrawer

areilly
06-11-2009, 02:44 PM

That's one thing that hawk says and I totally agree with. I think he's very underrated as a defensive first baseman.

I don't know if "excellent" is the right word, but I agree he's underrated and he has come a loooooong way in the past five years or so. Maybe it's something he's consciously worked on, or maybe it's just because it's not Manos and Royce The Choice making toss after toss in the dirt; either way, it's working.

DirtySox
06-12-2009, 06:04 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/paul-konerko-expects-to-return-to-white-soxs-lineup-saturday.html

Konerko expects to return to the lineup Saturday.

WhiteSoxJunkie
06-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I don't know if "excellent" is the right word, but I agree he's underrated and he has come a loooooong way in the past five years or so. Maybe it's something he's consciously worked on, or maybe it's just because it's not Manos and Royce The Choice making toss after toss in the dirt; either way, it's working.

Well, Ramirez likes to throw the ball in the dirt on every double play attempt. And I totally agree with Paulie being underrated defensively. That's the main reason I don't want to see him replace Thome at DH. He can pick the ball out of the dirt like it's nothing.

FarWestChicago
06-13-2009, 06:43 AM
More time to develop. You bring up a prospect when he's ready for the majors, not to fit some agenda of 'getting younger'.This is WSI. There are some people who won't be happy until every player on the Sox is 14. If we can just "out young" the rest of baseball we'll rule! :yup: