PDA

View Full Version : Quentin not expected back before AS break

Sockinchisox
06-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Said he tore a tendon in his foot on May 25th and just recently started jogging.

Cowley also said that Ozzie said there is a chance he could be shut down for the year.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

skobabe8
06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Do whatever it takes, just get him healthy. I don''t want this thing dragging out because they rush him back.

Mr.1Dog
06-10-2009, 04:47 PM
****! :angry:

Boondock Saint
Well, ****.

DirtySox
Uh oh.

kittle42
06-10-2009, 04:49 PM
The team stinks this year. If they are garbage one month from now, I don't want hime coming back unhealthy.

voodoochile
06-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm wondering if this is the tendon that causes the Plantar Fascitis. It was talked about in other threads when they informed the public of the situation. One solution was to surgically cut that tendon but it heals better and faster if it pops on it's own. There was speculation that it had happened to Carlos when he came off the field that final time.

If not, he's got other issues to deal with. So here's hoping it was and that he will eventually be back with the club even if it's not as soon as we'd like.

I agree, get him healthy first. He's a big part of where the team is going in the next few years.

kobo
06-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Had a feeling he wouldn't be back until the break, and won't be surprised if he ends up missing the rest of the season. This injury he has might be really hard to come back from. As much as I love Q, he might be someone who is always battling injuries and may never play a full season.

thomas35forever
06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Just get that surgery done if we keep sucking. How about a completely healthy TCQ for next year?

Whitesoxfan23
06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
We don't have a great team this year, or even a good team, and this just makes it worse obviously. That sure takes away much hope about this season. Looks like we will either get used to Wise, or a trade will be made for a good hitter.

LoveYourSuit
06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Is Danks still raking down in Birmingham?

Hell, bring the farm up. I don't want to see BA or Wise anymore.

I don't want to see Fields either. Getz/Nix, I guess I can live with that.

ChiSoxGirl
06-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Well, that's a kick to the gut! :whiner: :mad:

JB98
06-10-2009, 05:16 PM
It's going to be a long, tough summer for the Sox and their fans.

Do whatever is necessary to get Quentin healthy for 2010.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Our Father, who art in Heaven.
Please start Blackhawks and Bears seasons soon...

Sockinchisox
06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
KW just said Ozzie's assessment of Quentin is wrong and he'll be back sooner than Guillen thinks.

GoGoCrede
06-10-2009, 05:23 PM

Bear down, Chicago Bears.

This has been a strange season.

Foulke You
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
This is bummer news but I had a bad feeling when Carlos pulled up lame on that double a couple weeks ago. It just looked like something that would put him on the shelf more than 15 days. I hope Ozzie is wrong and he can be back by the break.

DirtySox
06-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Cowley Twitter (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/2109169271):

KW said Ozzie's timetable on Quentin is off, and the outfielder should be back quicker than Guillen thinks.

doublem23
06-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Cowley Twitter (http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/2109169271):

:gah:

Somebody just tell me what the hell is going on.

SoxGirl4Life
06-10-2009, 05:59 PM
I tend to believe Ozzie because he has no filter.

Not that I don't believe Kenny, but on this issue, its to team's benefit to keep hope alive for the fans.

WhiteSox5187
06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Really I'd rather see Quentin get completely healthy and come back for a full season in 2010 then to have him rushed back and try to salvage something out of 2009. He needs to completely heal from these injuries, there's no point in rushing him to salvage this season and make Kenny look better.

Quentin has a long history of injuries, I'm a bit worried that he might be a Kerry Wood type of guy who keeps getting injured and keeps rushing back from them never able to live up to his potential.

Lillian
06-10-2009, 06:15 PM
He does indeed have a history of injuries, and his crowding the plate, while refusing to either get out of the way, or wear any protective gear is likely to reinforce that trend.

I love him, but I'm not very optimistic about his becoming the durable, star player for which we all hoped.

esbrechtel
06-10-2009, 06:21 PM
He does indeed have a history of injuries, and his crowding the plate, while refusing to either get out of the way, or wear any protective gear is likely to reinforce that trend.

I love him, but I'm not very optimistic about his becoming the durable, star player for which we all hoped.

+1

I agree 100% the guy has not had a healthy season his whole career....

soxfan21
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM

+2. I hope he takes the rest of the year off and cones back 100% healthy next year, but I too think that he might just be one of those players that is always hampered by injuries. I hope that this is not the case, but if it is I hope KW can do something about our outfield in the coming years.

tstrike2000
06-10-2009, 06:35 PM
That blows. Best of luck to him with his recovery and it goes well and he's able to return sooner rather than later at 100%.

TDog
06-10-2009, 07:11 PM

I'm surrounded by Raiders fans, and I have experience being surrounded by Packers fans. I dealt with three years of that garbage. I hope football season never starts again.

In any case, a bad baseball season is better than the best football or hockey season.

On the optimistic side, bringing Quentin back would mean playing Podsednik in centerfield.

I know there are people here who seem to think you can only get enjoyment out of a baseball season if your team is going to the World Series. But I've followed teams a lot worse than this White Sox team.

Rohan
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
KW just said Ozzie's assessment of Quentin is wrong and he'll be back sooner than Guillen thinks.

Perfect.. :rolleyes:

TommyJohn
06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
I know there are people here who seem to think you can only get enjoyment out of a baseball season if your team is going to the World Series. But I've followed teams a lot worse than this White Sox team.

You mean you're not a bitter, angry, pessimistic, doom-and-gloom fan? Blasphemer. You are not one of us true fans. I revoke your White Sox fan cred and cast you out with the lepers and Cub fans.

thedudeabides
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Stone said during the broadcast that they expect him to be able to come back in a few days.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on with Carlos?

DonnieDarko
06-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Did anyone honestly expect him to be back sooner than the All-Star Break? Some guy posted that an injury like Quentin has takes anywhere from 7-12 weeks to recover. I guess that blind optimism just got the better of some people's logical minds here or something.

eastchicagosoxfan
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Beer will get me through what could be a long summer. :gulp::gulp::gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Beer will get me through what could be a long summer. :gulp::gulp::gulp:
This could rival the wonderful summer of '07.

ShoelessJoeS
06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
This could rival the wonderful summer of '07.Oh God, please none of that... :(:

DSpivack
06-10-2009, 09:59 PM
This could rival the wonderful summer of '07.

Neh. In 2007 the rookie Sox hitter we had to watch was Josh Fields. Plus, that summer looked forward to a Rex and Griese for the Bears.

I'd gladly take 2009. :tongue:

TDog
06-11-2009, 12:17 AM
You mean you're not a bitter, angry, pessimistic, doom-and-gloom fan? Blasphemer. You are not one of us true fans. I revoke your White Sox fan cred and cast you out with the lepers and Cub fans.

Baseball is about losing. Just about every team loses anyway. There are so many things that can go wrong in a baseball season the odds are against one one team winning the World Series. Things have gone so wrong in this baseball season that things are due to even out next year.

I've been following the White Sox for about four decades, and I even have some fond memories from the year the Sox lost 106 times. A losing season isn't going to kill me. Having to watch football might, but I avoid that.

palehozenychicty
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm surrounded by Raiders fans, and I have experience being surrounded by Packers fans. I dealt with three years of that garbage. I hope football season never starts again.

In any case, a bad baseball season is better than the best football or hockey season.

On the optimistic side, bringing Quentin back would mean playing Podsednik in centerfield.

To each his own.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2009, 01:41 AM
Is Danks still raking down in Birmingham?

Hell, bring the farm up. I don't want to see BA or Wise anymore.

I don't want to see Fields either. Getz/Nix, I guess I can live with that.Yeah, destroy the future by rushing players who aren't ready, because LoveYourSuit doesn't want to see the current players. Brilliant.

I know there are people here who seem to think you can only get enjoyment out of a baseball season if your team is going to the World Series. But I've followed teams a lot worse than this White Sox team.Exactly. I get a little depressed when the season is heading down the crapper, but I don't get angry. I don't take it personally. And I damn sure don't want the season to end just because it's not going well. I love baseball season. Screw all the Dan McNeil "only X number of days until the Bears are in pads!!!!" crap while the baseball season is still on.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Lillilan and WhiteSox5187 have articulated the sad fear that I've been harboring about Quentin for some time. I hope that we're all wrong and that injuries do not leave us all wondering what might have been.

Iwritecode
06-11-2009, 09:03 AM

Except for the fact that he's never actually had one if his injuries come from being hit by a pitch.

They've all been odd, fluke things. Kinda like what Jermaine Dye kept going through at one time and everyone thought he was "injury-prone".

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM

I'll hit on something Mike Mulligan said this morning. You have to be careful bringing Quentin back from an injury b/c the kid just wants to play. He might not tell you the truth about how ready he is, b/c all he wants to do is be out on the field every day. I really hope they take their time with him. We need him to be 100%.

akingamongstmen
06-11-2009, 09:23 AM
Except for the fact that he's never actually had one if his injuries come from being hit by a pitch.

They've all been odd, fluke things. Kinda like what Jermaine Dye kept going through at one time and everyone thought he was "injury-prone".

Yup. Last year's season-ender was especially bizarre (not to mention stupid). He's a tremendous athlete and still young. Too many people are ready to eulogize his career when he's just getting started.

Lillian
06-11-2009, 09:24 AM

Yes, you're correct in that none of his injuries have been the result of getting hit by a pitch, so far. That does not minimize the potential for such an injury. Crowding the plate, being reluctant to move out of the way when a pitch is coming at you, and refusing to wear any protective equipment is simply an injury waiting to happen.

spawn
06-11-2009, 09:43 AM
This is exactly how I feel. I honestly wasn't envisioning a WS this year. I did think this team had a shot at the playoffs which may not be the case anymore. But more importantly, and I sid this before the season began, I was excited at seening what the new guys would do. I still feel that way. Even if this team finishes in last place (which I don't think they will), I'm still enjoying watching this team. Yes, they are frustrating to watch as well, but I try not to dwell on that. of things I've enjoyed so far:

- Despite what I keep seeing around here, I do still have hopes for Getz. I don't know why so many are so gloom and doom over him. the kid is a rookie, playing his first full season in the majors. It amazes me the people that want to give BA and Fields extended looks are so down on him.

- Despite only having two hits so far on the season, I'm very high on Beckham. Usually if a player is rushed through to the majors, he looks overmatched when he gets here. I don't think he looks overmatched at all. He looks like he belongs.

- I'm happy to see Gavin may have turned it around after a disasterous start.

- It was good to see Contreras make his return in such a dominant fashion. I hope it continues.

- Despite losing last night, it was good to see Danks pitch well last night. Hopefully it carries on to future starts.

- I'm looking forward to seeing Poreda pitch.

- JD is having a pretty good season so far. He's not the defensive liability people seemed to think he was before the season started, and offensively he's been mashing. I hope he retires in a White Sox uniform.

Call me a pollyanna. I don't care. This team may be average at best, but I still find ways to enjoy watching them.

KenBerryGrab
06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Call me a pollyanna. I don't care. This team may be average at best, but I still find ways to enjoy watching them.

You are a real fan.

TheAnswer32
06-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm curious, if Quentin is going to be out for a while longer like it sounds, are we going to get someone else to play the outfield, or call someone up? Obviously the Anderson/Wise combo isn't working right now. PLEASE, do not turn this into a Anderson/Wise discussion. I just want to know if you guys see us making a move to get a different outfielder on the team.

spawn
06-11-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm curious, if Quentin is going to be out for a while longer like it sounds, are we going to get someone else to play the outfield, or call someone up? Obviously the Anderson/Wise combo isn't working right now. PLEASE, do not turn this into a Anderson/Wise discussion. I just want to know if you guys see us making a move to get a different outfielder on the team.
Well, good centerfielders do just grow on trees and are readily available. In fact, there is one on my tree in the front yard that looks like it's just about ready to be picked.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
This is exactly how I feel. I honestly wasn't envisioning a WS this year. I did think this team had a shot at the playoffs which may not be the case anymore. But more importantly, and I sid this before the season began, I was excited at seening what the new guys would do. I still feel that way. Even if this team finishes in last place (which I don't think they will), I'm still enjoying watching this team. Yes, they are frustrating to watch as well, but I try not to dwell on that. of things I've enjoyed so far:

- Despite what I keep seeing around here, I do still have hopes for Getz. I don't know why so many are so gloom and doom over him. the kid is a rookie, playing his first full season in the majors. It amazes me the people that want to give BA and Fields extended looks are so down on him.

- Despite only having two hits so far on the season, I'm very high on Beckham. Usually if a player is rushed through to the majors, he looks overmatched when he gets here. I don't think he looks overmatched at all. He looks like he belongs.

- I'm happy to see Gavin may have turned it around after a disasterous start.

- It was good to see Contreras make his return in such a dominant fashion. I hope it continues.

- Despite losing last night, it was good to see Danks pitch well last night. Hopefully it carries on to future starts.

- I'm looking forward to seeing Poreda pitch.

- JD is having a pretty good season so far. He's not the defensive liability people seemed to think he was before the season started, and offensively he's been mashing. I hope he retires in a White Sox uniform.

I don't know that I will enjoy watching the games as much as you, but I do agree on several of your points. Especially the bolded two.

PalehosePlanet
06-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Really I'd rather see Quentin get completely healthy and come back for a full season in 2010 then to have him rushed back and try to salvage something out of 2009. He needs to completely heal from these injuries, there's no point in rushing him to salvage this season and make Kenny look better.

Quentin has a long history of injuries, I'm a bit worried that he might be a Kerry Wood type of guy who keeps getting injured and keeps rushing back from them never able to live up to his potential.

Funny you should mention Kerry Wood, because it seems like we're hiding facts about the injury much like the cubs always did with Wood and Prior.

First it was plantar fascitis, now we find out that he tore a tendon in his foot in Anaheim on May 25th while running out the double?

Seems to me that Ozzie's view is more realistic than KW's.

Chrisaway
06-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Well, good centerfielders do just grow on trees and are readily available. In fact, there is one on my tree in the front yard that looks like it's just about ready to be picked.
Is it a Jordan Danks?

TheAnswer32
06-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Funny you should mention Kerry Wood, because it seems like we're hiding facts about the injury much like the cubs always did with Wood and Prior.

First it was plantar fascitis, now we find out that he tore a tendon in his foot in Anaheim on May 25th while running out the double?

Seems to me that Ozzie's view is more realistic than KW's.

I was under the impression that the tore tendon was the tendon which was giving Carlos problems and it's a good thing that it finally tore.

spawn
06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Is it a Jordan Danks?
Nope. He hasn't fully bloomed yet.

balke
06-21-2009, 10:27 PM
How bad is this foot going to be? I hate to be the guy to ask this, but could this be a Frank Thomas style injury? It would be a heartbreaker to see another great hitter like that go through a career with a bad hoof.

voodoochile
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
How bad is this foot going to be? I hate to be the guy to ask this, but could this be a Frank Thomas style injury? It would be a heartbreaker to see another great hitter like that go through a career with a bad hoof.

No, not even close. Frank's injury was not only painful, but debilitating. Carlos' injury is mostly just painful and can be managed simply be being careful with it if nothing else. If indeed the tendon did snap then there are long term ramifications, but they won't be showing up in the next few years and they too are treatable with surgery and other options. Kind of depends on what happened when he went out, but severing the tendon (that may have snapped on its own) is one surgical remedy. It takes less time to heal if it snaps on its own though. The fact he is already doing some limited drill work as was reported before tonight's game is a great thing.

DirtySox
06-21-2009, 11:01 PM
It has been stated that the tendon is partially torn and might completely tear upon his return while playing. In that case he will be out the rest of the season. If it doesn't tear on it's own he will be having the surgery in the offseason to get it taken care of.

DumpJerry
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Frank's injury was a broken bone. Frank's was caused by the way he would slam down his left foot while swinging (remember how he would bring up the left foot, throw himself forward while swinging and slam the foot down as he made contact? Who could forget?). Each time he did that, 500+ pounds of force were coming down on the ankle and foot. Over time, it took its toll.

TCQ's injury is completely different.

Red Barchetta
06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Just get that surgery done if we keep sucking. How about a completely healthy TCQ for next year?

I would love to see him 100% healthy, however his injuries are freaky in nature. He's becoming the kind of player who would tear up an ankle running out of the dugout!

I would hate to see TCQ become another one of those "he would have been great if he didn't get hurt all the time" guys...:(:

DickAllen72
06-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I would love to see him 100% healthy, however his injuries are freaky in nature. He's becoming the kind of player who would tear up an ankle running out of the dugout!

I would hate to see TCQ become another one of those "he would have been great if he didn't get hurt all the time" guys...:(:
I hope he avoids the surgery. The surgery will cause long-term foot problems and possibly shorten his career.

According to a doctor who posts on another forum, surgically severing the plantar tissue will alleviate the pain he now suffers but will put much more stress on the navicular bone. This is the same bone that Frank Thomas had fractured.