PDA

View Full Version : ASG=Big Name Popularity Contest

mzh
06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
This is definitely not new to most people, but looking at the ballot updates and seeing Josh Hamilton, Ken Griffey, And Jarrod Saltalamacchia as All-Star leaders, I'm starting to think that this is getting a tad ridiculous. Saltalamacchia is hitting a clip slightly better than Josh Fields, Griffey is hitting worse than Fields, and Hamilton has already missed 3/4 of the season and it has been established that he will miss much of the rest. Alex Rodriguez is second at 3rd base, for crying out loud!

In short, we all know that guys like Jeter and ARod will gets thousands of mindless votes, but If you look closely, I do not think you will find one person who does not think JD should be in St. Louis instead of Josh Hamilton. Same can be said for last year. At this point, why not make Josh Fields an All-Star?

voodoochile
06-10-2009, 12:53 PM
NO WAY...:tongue:

Sorry, thus has it ever been, thus will it ever be. More so since voting went international...

EnglishChiSox
06-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Voting after 1/3 of a season is silly as well, that's why it's not about the top players currently, more the big ego's.

BleacherBandit
06-10-2009, 02:02 PM
How are there so many Rangers players leading? I wasn't aware that Texas had a large, supportive fan base.

BadBobbyJenks
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Water is wet

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
At least it doesn't seem we're gonna see our steady saturation of Red Sox and Yankees. I'm ok with the Rangers getting their time in the sun. They haven't had much to be happy about in their entire existence.

SoxGirl4Life
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
yes.

mccoydp
06-10-2009, 03:42 PM
How are there so many Rangers players leading? I wasn't aware that Texas had a large, supportive fan base.

I didn't even know they had a fan base. :redneck

mzh
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM
At least it doesn't seem we're gonna see our steady saturation of Red Sox and Yankees. I'm ok with the Rangers getting their time in the sun. They haven't had much to be happy about in their entire existence.

Jason Bay, Jason Varitek, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Robinson Cano, Kevin Youkilis, and Mark Teixeira are all in the top three of their positions.

Eddo144
06-10-2009, 03:57 PM
This is definitely not new to most people, but looking at the ballot updates and seeing Josh Hamilton, Ken Griffey, And Jarrod Saltalamacchia as All-Star leaders, I'm starting to think that this is getting a tad ridiculous. Saltalamacchia is hitting a clip slightly better than Josh Fields, Griffey is hitting worse than Fields, and Hamilton has already missed 3/4 of the season and it has been established that he will miss much of the rest. Alex Rodriguez is second at 3rd base, for crying out loud!

In short, we all know that guys like Jeter and ARod will gets thousands of mindless votes, but If you look closely, I do not think you will find one person who does not think JD should be in St. Louis instead of Josh Hamilton. Same can be said for last year. At this point, why not make Josh Fields an All-Star?
Congratulations on being the first person to consider Jarrod Saltalamacchia a "big name" and not be referring to the amount of space taken up on his jersey.

Big D
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM
Jason Bay, Jason Varitek, Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Robinson Cano, Kevin Youkilis, and Mark Teixeira are all in the top three of their positions.

They all deserve to be.

DSpivack
06-10-2009, 04:27 PM
They all deserve to be.

No way should Varitek or A-Rod be there.

chisoxfanatic
06-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Being in the "top three" doesn't cut it when only the winner (except for outfield) gets the starting job in the all star game. I know there's still time; but, it is quite nice seeing non-Red Sox and Yankee players atop the votes this late in the voting game.

Jogurt
06-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Not sure if other teams are doing this, but if you vote for the all star game online 25 times and select the Rangers as one of your top 2 favorite teams, you get two free tickets to a select game later in the year. You don't have to vote for their players, but probably most of the fans do. I did my voting (and put them as 2nd favorite team) to get the tickets as well.
Plus, the Rangers ARE playing well and deserve to have some representation, I guess.

jdm2662
06-10-2009, 05:14 PM
In other news, I woke up this morning.

illini81887
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Not sure if other teams are doing this, but if you vote for the all star game online 25 times and select the Rangers as one of your top 2 favorite teams, you get two free tickets to a select game later in the year. You don't have to vote for their players, but probably most of the fans do. I did my voting (and put them as 2nd favorite team) to get the tickets as well.
Plus, the Rangers ARE playing well and deserve to have some representation, I guess.
Yes rangers should be represented well, but not Josh Hamilton.

thomas35forever
06-10-2009, 07:46 PM
*yawn*

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Having the ASG starting lineup picked by fans and then having the game mean something is ludicrous. It will always be a popularity contest as long as voting is online and not just in the ballparks. If they still want fans to vote, then I think that the managers should be allowed to pick the starting lineup from the players the fans chose, and the others that are picked.

ewokpelts
06-11-2009, 05:22 PM
How are there so many Rangers players leading? I wasn't aware that Texas had a large, supportive fan base.free tickets when you vote rangers