PDA

View Full Version : Let's Remain Positive!

peelwonder
06-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Normally I'm captain negative but I'm trying to turn a new leaf.....I knew that 1983 started slow and they were way back at one point so here goes.......

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1983-schedule-scores.shtml

Rohan
06-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Times Shutout by Opponent: 8.... Damnit...

I agree it's never a bad thing to be positive. Life's short, so why not?

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM
We did it in 1983 therefore we will do it 2009.

I don't see any holes in that logic.:bandance:

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM

Hoyt, Bannister, Dotson, Burns?

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Hoyt, Bannister, Dotson, Burns?

Loved that rotation.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Loved that rotation.

For one regular season, that IMO was the best we ever had (in my genaration).

Black Jack
Alex
Wilson
Bere

A very close second.

The WS rotation was great too, but that was more of a solid post season rotation.

DaveFeelsRight
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Untill it's September and we're 20 games out of first, I'm not going to give up on this season, No matter how hard or frustrating to may be.

Noneck
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Its amazing how anyone could compare this team with the 83 team personnel wise. And if dreams keep you going, God Bless.

peelwonder
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Its amazing how anyone could compare this team with the 83 team personnel wise. And if dreams keep you going, God Bless.

C'mon dude look at the offense.....

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:21 PM

Agreed.

I think there are more samples of Sox team 4 games under during this time which have tanked rather than a 1983 miracle.

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 12:25 PM

In '83, with two playoff slots, it was a narrow window to get in the playoffs. Now, with 3 times as many playoff teams, and mediocre pitching in a mediocre division, all you have to do is get in the playoffs and get hot. This decade, the White Sox, Cards, Phillies, and Marlins all had major questions heading into the playoffs, but they all took home the trophy.

DaveFeelsRight
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
In '83, with two playoff slots, it was a narrow window to get in the playoffs. Now, with 3 times as many playoff teams, and mediocre pitching in a mediocre division, all you have to do is get in the playoffs and get hot. This decade, the White Sox, Cards, Phillies, and Marlins all had major questions heading into the playoffs, but they all took home the trophy.That's the beauty of baseball.

GoGoCrede
06-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Untill it's September and we're 20 games out of first, I'm not going to give up on this season, No matter how hard or frustrating to may be.

Agreed. I'm going to the game tonight. :bandance: Can't give up on my guys.

Zisk77
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM
In '83, with two playoff slots, it was a narrow window to get in the playoffs. Now, with 3 times as many playoff teams, and mediocre pitching in a mediocre division, all you have to do is get in the playoffs and get hot. This decade, the White Sox, Cards, Phillies, and Marlins all had major questions heading into the playoffs, but they all took home the trophy.

What major question did we have? We were wire to wire in 1st place. Won 99 reg. season games and went 11-1 in the post season. Do you mean mariotti's assertion that our "scratch and tickle" offense (200hrs. 3 more than the all powerful red sox) couldn't score enough unless we traded for Griffey?

TomBradley72
06-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Well, it's alot of "if's"....but if Contreras truly has regained his form, if TCQ can come back and returns to 2008 form, and if Beckham proves to be the answer at 3rd...that will be 3 major upgrades from within the organization.

Of course, at some point in the 1988 season I thought those WSox had a chance before a rash of injuries to the middle of their line up (Fisk, Baines, Walker, Pasqua, Calderon) sent them into oblivion. So I'm always a sucker for optimism.

guillensdisciple
06-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Giving up is for quitters.

Go White Sox!!!

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM
What major question did we have? We were wire to wire in 1st place. Won 99 reg. season games and went 11-1 in the post season. Do you mean mariotti's assertion that our "scratch and tickle" offense (200hrs. 3 more than the all powerful red sox) couldn't score enough unless we traded for Griffey?

In September, when the division lead dwindled and the team was flat, I think every person at WSI "questioned" what was going to happen. Experts had major questions all year about the offense and if it could score enough runs. However, I agree with you, KW did the right thing by ignoring the media and keeping the team intact.

My point: it doesn't matter how you play in April - September, so long as you make the playoffs. Once you get in, you can ride a couple of hot arms and bats. In '83, you had to play consistent winning baseball the entire season to have any hope.

peelwonder
06-09-2009, 01:21 PM
In September, when the division lead dwindled and the team was flat, I think every person at WSI "questioned" what was going to happen. Experts had major questions all year about the offense and if it could score enough runs. However, I agree with you, KW did the right thing by ignoring the media and keeping the team intact.

My point: it doesn't matter how you play in April - September, so long as you make the playoffs. Once you get in, you can ride a couple of hot arms and bats. In '83, you had to play consistent winning baseball the entire season to have any hope.

But we didn't in 83. We had the exact same record at this point.

That team finished the regular season going 50-16.

veeter
06-09-2009, 01:36 PM
Loved that rotation.Me too. Throw in Jerry Koosman and that is a stud rotation.

SoxFan1979
06-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Agreed. I'm going to the game tonight. :bandance: Can't give up on my guys.

Bring the Sox luck brother. :smile:

GoGoCrede
06-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Bring the Sox luck brother. :smile:

I will!

And by "brother" you meant "sister," right? :tongue:

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM

So we should be even more optimistic this year!

peelwonder
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
So we should be even more optimistic this year!

If we finish the year going 50-16 I'll be happy to host a party for all WSI members....beverages included....

JB98
06-09-2009, 02:30 PM
If we finish the year going 50-16 I'll be happy to host a party for all WSI members....beverages included....

If we finish the year 50-16, you'll have to take me to the hospital because I'll be in shock. :D:

Anyway, it seems like KW is looking to make some changes to this roster. That, and the weakness of the division, gives me hope.

I am extremely unhappy with this 2009 team. I don't think they are very good at all. But I do think a couple of key additions, either from within the organization or from outside, could turn the tide in our favor.

Who knows? Maybe Poreda can fill one of the gaping holes on this pitching staff.

The only thing I know about baseball is that you never know. So, while I don't think highly of this Sox team, I'll keep cheering for them and hope for the best.

4 points
06-09-2009, 03:02 PM

There are plenty of holes in swiss cheese logic.:whiner:

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Do I have to? I mean really really have to?

Well...

Okay...

But it's gonna be a real chore for me to stay positive...:D:

4 points
06-09-2009, 03:06 PM

If only Kenny had kept that "Keep the team intact" logic in 2006.:scratch:

4 points
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM

And all the indicators definately lean to us being able to duplicate or better that 50-16 mark,right? :scratch:

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 03:36 PM
And all the indicators definately lean to us being able to duplicate or better that 50-16 mark,right? :scratch:

Why you pissing on this thread? You don't have enough places to vent your pessimistic crap on this site? You simply have to come to this thread and piss all over it?

Thanks...

peelwonder
06-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Why you pissing on this thread? You don't have enough places to vent your pessimistic crap on this site? You simply have to come to this thread and piss all over it?

Thanks...

Apparently he didn't read the thread title.

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 03:42 PM

We just need to go on a short hot streak and have the Kittens manager say we're winning "ugly" and we'll be all set

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
We just need to go on a short hot streak and have the Kittens manager say we're winning "ugly" and we'll be all set

So long as that hot streak started last night, sol good...

WhiteSox5187
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Man, I don't see anyway this team goes 50-16 here on out, but here is the thing to stay positive about: this division is ****. If we play half way decent here on out we have a chance.

sunofgold
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
When Pods leads off, we have had an outstanding record since 2005. Ain't that the truth.

DSpivack
06-09-2009, 04:17 PM

Is that where that moniker came from?

That was the last time the Sox won the division before I was born. :tongue:

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Is that where that moniker came from?

That was the last time the Sox won the division before I was born. :tongue:

Actually, it was Doug Rader from Texas.

WhiteSox5187
06-09-2009, 05:43 PM

Who, ironically, replaced Tony La Russa for a few games in '86 after Tony got fired.

PhillipsBubba
06-09-2009, 05:45 PM
OK...I'm positive it's going to be a disappointing season...:(:

DSpivack
06-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Why?

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 06:51 PM

Why?

Because it's easier and more convenient to quit the season now so you can say "I told you so" in September if you happen to be right or jump back on the bandwagon and enjoy the playoffs if they happen and forget all about the crap you dished in June.

It's also a coping mechanism to deal with pain...

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Because it's easier and more convenient to quit the season now so you can say "I told you so" in September if you happen to be right or jump back on the bandwagon and enjoy the playoffs if they happen and forget all about the crap you dished in June.

It's also a coping mechanism to deal with pain...

:rolleyes:
Again I dont see why blind faith is accepted, but any dark cloud must be shunned!

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Again I dont see why blind faith is accepted, but any dark cloud must be shunned!Because I'm entitled to an opinion too...

DSpivack
06-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Again I dont see why blind faith is accepted, but any dark cloud must be shunned!

People are entitled to their opinions, even if they missed the title and point of the thread.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Because I'm entitled to an opinion too...

:scratch: Kind of the point I was making no?

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 07:30 PM
:scratch: Kind of the point I was making no?

No...

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 08:07 PM

... who was the 2nd place club in our division at the time; I just figured it would be the Kittens in 2nd place shortly, after some "ugly" Sox Wins. I still have a winning ugly T-shirt somewhere and fondly remember the September chants "UG-LIE! UG-LIE" as the Sox trounced opponents all Sept long.

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 08:09 PM

hey this is the optimists' thread, go start a dark cloud thread in what's the score dude

06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
One big reason I'm still positive, the 2006 minnesota twins were 28-34 at this exact date last season, 11.5 games behind the division leading tigers and yet they still won the division. Now I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Lets do this boys

Brian26
06-11-2009, 09:46 PM
This decade, the White Sox, Cards, Phillies, and Marlins all had major questions heading into the playoffs, but they all took home the trophy.

Which one of these things doesn't belong?

The 99-win, wire-to-wire, sweep-Cleveland's-ass-out-of-the-postseason 2005 White Sox were in a different class than those other three National League steaming turds.