06-09-2009, 07:17 AM
So who got sent down or released?

Chrisaway
06-09-2009, 07:23 AM
huh?

DrCrawdad
06-09-2009, 07:26 AM
According to his Facebook and The Score :o:

Is this the end of the Bartolo Colon II era?

DumpJerry
According to his Facebook :o:
Don't believe anything you read on the Internets.

Wait, isn't WSI on the Internets?:?:

Now I'm confused as to what to believe.......

Seriously, who did we lose to make room? Southpaw? (the mascot, not a pitcher)

NDSox12
Huh? That makes no sense at all. :scratch:

DumpJerry
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
Huh? That makes no sense at all. :scratch:
If Colon is gone it does.

Maybe last night's performance from Jose inspired someone else to get to Charlotte to fix on his pitching problems......

esbrechtel
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM
:?: Fields to Triple A? maybe....

DumpJerry
06-09-2009, 07:29 AM
:?: Fields to Triple A? maybe....
A position player for a pitcher? That would leave our bullpen top heavy going into interleague (no DH on the road) games.

DrCrawdad
06-09-2009, 07:37 AM
I just heard the Score report. They said that apparently Aaron Poreda's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=841261599&ref=name#/profile.php?sid=b96a771b3fc5665911376c326360e4d2&id=7102326&hiq=aaron%2Cporeda&ref=search) says he's been promoted to the Sox.

DrCrawdad
06-09-2009, 07:43 AM
Poreda pitched Monday, so he could step right in Colon's slot. Speaking of Poreda's outing Monday, he threw 5 innings of no-hit baseball. The downside is that in those 5 innings he gave up 5 walks and 1 hit batsman. I don't like the number of walks.

seventyseven
06-09-2009, 08:29 AM
So who got sent down or released?

Beckham back down?

Beer Can Chicken
06-09-2009, 08:36 AM
My guess would be that he's going to pitch out of the bullpen first?
End of the Gobble era?

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 08:46 AM
If Colon is gone it does.

Maybe last night's performance from Jose inspired someone else to get to Charlotte to fix on his pitching problems......

That's actually the first thing I thought of when I heard it on the Score this morning.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Interesting. That just adds more speculation in regards to the rotation. Poreda replacing Richard in the rotation? Working out of the bullpen? Is a trade in the works? etc

For what it's worth I hope Poreda is still being looked at as a starter, but he is bullpen ready and has been for a while.

Law11
06-09-2009, 08:50 AM
Poredas own facebook page says "Im heading to the big leagues". Let the young guns shape the team now.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 08:55 AM
This is the biggest day of my life... I'm goin to Chicago, the big leagues, and I ain't never goin back!!!!!

Jim Shorts
06-09-2009, 08:56 AM
Is it just me, or is it weird we're commenting on something posted on Facebook?

Maybe I'm in denile that I'm really just an old man.

tacosalbarojas
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Is it just me, or is it weird we're commenting on something posted on Facebook?

Maybe I'm in denile that I'm really just an old man.
You are in denial.

Jim Shorts
06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
You are in denial.

Thanks, jerkstore

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks, jerkstore

I know there's a joke about best seller in here somewhere, but I'm not gonna make it.

However, I am gonna remind you that we don't allow personal attacks at WSI. We just handed out a three day rip to someone yesterday for doing it. You looking for some of that action?

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 09:08 AM
Word is White Sox will promote hard-throwing prospect Aaron Poreda from Double-A today.

http://twitter.com/ChrisDeLuca/status/2089644346

illini81887
06-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Better be the end of Jimmy Gobble era

Gammons Peter
06-09-2009, 09:19 AM
well, there goes his trade value

06-09-2009, 09:19 AM
There goes our biggest trading chip.

Noneck
06-09-2009, 09:22 AM
You think they brought up their #1 pitching prospect to take on the role of the mop up man?

MeteorsSox4367
06-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Let the young guns shape the team now.

I'm with you. Let's see if Poreda is as good as we all hope he will eventually be.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 09:23 AM
well, there goes his trade value

Just curious, why?

This actually might be the precursor to a trade which Poreda isn't part of...

Beer Can Chicken
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
You think they brought up their #1 pitching prospect to take on the role of the mop up man?

Plenty of teams start their big time pitching prospects from the bullpen. I'd bet that what the SOX do, we already have a log jammed rotation.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Just curious, why?

That is what I'm thinking. It isn't like our bullpen is a huge mess and he needs to come patch the holes. He would strengthen it, but that seems unlikely especially with the organizations insistence to bring him up as a starter. Poreda could have been slotted into the bullpen a while ago, as his stuff plays fine there.

Gammons Peter
06-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Just curious, why?

It was kind of a sarcastic joke...kind of.

Sox pitching prospects never pan out. Once he gets lit up a few times his value goes down

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Levine reporting the callup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4245028

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 09:29 AM
It was kind of a sarcastic joke...kind of.

Sox pitching prospects never pan out. Once he gets lit up a few times his value goes down

Ah... okay... Now it actually made me chuckle...:D:

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 09:30 AM
Levine reporting the callup.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4245028

Still no word on who's going down? or away?

hawkjt
06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
My wild guess will be Bart goes on the DL, Richard goes to the pen, and our new rotation for the time being will be Burls,Danks,floyd,Jose and Poreda.
Never a dull moment with the Sox...:D:

What the hell, if he does well, he enhances his trade value.
The Sox find newcomers unhittable, maybe it will work for Poreda.

Gammons Peter
06-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't think it will be Fields because he is the only backup corner infielder

Gammons Peter
06-09-2009, 09:35 AM
It would be nice if Colon agreed to go down and work like Jose did.
Didn't Boston ask him to do that last year? and he quit? or was that a request to go to the bullpen?

KyWhiSoxFan
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I would prefer Poreda be put in the pen and broken in slowly to the majors and give him some experience. Putting him out there for 5 or 6 innings is asking for trouble as far as I'm concerned.

I would like to see Richard stay as a starter for now and Contreras take over Colon's spot. To me, this means Colon is out.

hawkjt
06-09-2009, 09:42 AM
This year he is coming off elbow surgery. Bart should know that puts him in a different position in terms of his career. Take the dl..Bart, and then a rehab stint til you have better command.

Chrisaway
06-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Isn't Poreda's control still kinda in question? I say start him off in the bullpen and let someone pitch their way out of the rotation.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Aaron Poreda confirms he's been promoted from Double-A to the White Sox but hasn't been told if he's starting or relieving.

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/2090012003

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Still no word on who is getting sent down(or, whatever)?

Sargeant79
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
http://twitter.com/MDGonzales/status/2090012003

Twitter is blocked at work...what's the link say?

ike from nj
06-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Probably to start out as a situational lefty which would mean obble goes. Thornton is too good to be used in that role so this is a way to ease Poreda in.

Big D
Seems kind of strange to call him up this soon if you're putting him in the bullpen. The pen has been the one strong point for the Sox this year. I hope this isn't just a knee-jerk reaction to how bad we've played the last week.

DirtySox
Isn't Poreda's control still kinda in question? I say start him off in the bullpen and let someone pitch their way out of the rotation.

Aaron can get his fastball up to 97 and it has very good movement. His slider when on is also a decent pitch. Scouts have noticed improvement in his change and curve but I would assume they are still below average pitches. He has trouble commanding the latter two pitches which is why he has quite a few walks this year, especially since he is made to throw those pitches in effort to improve them.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Twitter is blocked at work...what's the link say?

It says what I quoted above. Just put the link their as a source.

Sargeant79
06-09-2009, 09:55 AM
It says what I quoted above. Just put the link their as a source.

Gotcha. Thanks.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Aaron Poreda Promoted, Who's Off the Roster? (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/aaron-poreda-promoted-to-white-sox-whos-off-the-roster.html)

southside rocks
06-09-2009, 09:59 AM

Why? Gobble got shelled on May 21 and in five appearances since then, he has given up zero earned runs.

We've had a LOT worse in the bullpen than Jimmy Gobble. He's actually pitching really well lately.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 10:00 AM

He has been groomed as a starter, I am not sure why you would stick him in the pen.

broker3d
06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I think Poreda has to go to the pen. We already are gonna have 6 guys fighting for 5 rotation spots. And I think it would be senseless to put Richards in the pen. He has pitched very well in the rotation, build on it.

Buehrle also started in the pen. Granted, Buehrle was never the prospect that Poreda is but who cares. Let these kids EARN their positions.

We are not winning the WS this year and Kenny knows that. He's bringing these kids up to be sure they are ready to be big contributors in 2010.

Chrisaway
06-09-2009, 10:03 AM
He has been groomed as a starter, I am not sure why you would stick him in the pen.
But who would you take out of the rotation? Richard?

ChiSoxFan81
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I like it. If these young guys are successful immediately, we have a good shot of taking the division. If not, it's as good of a time as ever to get these kids some experience in the bigs since we're struggling to this point. Danks and Floyd got their starts in 07, and that panned out pretty well for last year.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
But who would you take out of the rotation? Richard?

Richard is a 4th/5th at best. Yes send him back to the pen.

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Cowley's Twitter:

Is he or isn't he? Have the Sox called up A. Poreda? The entire South Side holds its collective breath. The team remained silent.

Sargeant79
06-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Why? Gobble got shelled on May 21 and in five appearances since then, he has given up zero earned runs.

We've had a LOT worse in the bullpen than Jimmy Gobble. He's actually pitching really well lately.

Agreed. Gobble is an ideal LOOGY, as long as the team chooses to carry one.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 10:11 AM
We are not winning the WS this year and Kenny knows that. He's bringing these kids up to be sure they are ready to be big contributors in 2010.

It's beginning to look that way.

TheAnswer32
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Cowley's Twitter:

He wouldn't tell everyone that he has been promoted if he wasn't 100% sure.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 10:12 AM
What if Danks is part of package to get a legit bat in here?

Sox might be souring a bit on Danks because of the contract non-extension and a miserable season so far.

Just my random thought.

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
I think Poreda has to go to the pen. We already are gonna have 6 guys fighting for 5 rotation spots. And I think it would be senseless to put Richards in the pen. He has pitched very well in the rotation, build on it.

Buehrle also started in the pen. Granted, Buehrle was never the prospect that Poreda is but who cares. Let these kids EARN their positions.

I'm ok with this

doublem23
06-09-2009, 10:14 AM

Sox might be souring a bit on Danks because of the contract non-extension and a miserable season so far.

Just my random thought.

To give up on Danks, it would have to be quite the bat.

Chrisaway

Just my random thought.
It's not Wednesday yet.

LoveYourSuit
Agreed. Gobble is an ideal LOOGY, as long as the team chooses to carry one.

Gobble and Carrasco have been gold for us lately with all the short starts some of our starters have provided.

I have no problem with Goblle being mop up man, been the best mop up man we have had in a long time.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 10:15 AM
To give up on Danks, it would have to be quite the bat.

What CFs or 3Bs might be available right now?

doublem23
06-09-2009, 10:17 AM
What CFs or 3Bs might be available right now?

I don't know, how much longer until the Pirates dump McCutchen? :cool:

longtimesoxguy
06-09-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't know, how much longer until the Pirates dump McCutchen? :cool:
I just saw that kid on Sportscenter. Can he fly. I hope we draft somebody with that kind of speed somewhere today.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 10:33 AM
I just saw that kid on Sportscenter. Can he fly. I hope we draft somebody with that kind of speed somewhere today.

The White Sox are very likely to draft a toolsy athletic lead off man with the first pick, so your wish may be granted.

hi im skot
06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
What a weird year...

BleacherBandit
06-09-2009, 10:38 AM
What a weird year...

You said it.

I hope they somehow find a way to get rid of Fields. Obviously, it was stated earlier that you just don't switch a batter on your roster for a pitcher, especially with interleague coming up, but I really want Fields to go away forever.

Huisj
06-09-2009, 10:39 AM
What a weird year...

Weird because the Sox are actually giving their highly ranked prospects a shot?

Demps2
06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
does anyone have ANY idea what direction this organization is going in??????? :scratch: calling up players like Poreda and Beckham now are headscratchers. I wonder what Ozzie thinks...... this is just odd timing.

Huisj
06-09-2009, 10:43 AM
does anyone have ANY idea what direction this organization is going in??????? :scratch: calling up players like Poreda and Beckham now are headscratchers. I wonder what Ozzie thinks...... this is just odd timing.

I think the direction is "we aren't all that good this year, and we need to transition from an old roster to a young roster, so let's see what we have talent-wise so we can figure out what we need to do to compete next year."

And yes I think that's pretty much an exact quote from the Sox' front office. :D:

Demps2
06-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I think the direction is "we aren't all that good this year, and we need to transition from an old roster to a young roster, so let's see what we have talent-wise so we can figure out what we need to do to compete next year."

And yes I think that's pretty much an exact quote from the Sox' front office. :D:

makes sense. However, what do we do w/ the $40M coming off the books? spend it on guys like TCQ, TCM, Danks, etc. Go make a trade, or sign a big-name FA? we never sign big-name FA's from other teams (almost never), and this team could lose a lot of season ticket holders if this crap keeps up. I'm just not sure how long it will be before we compete again.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I think Poreda is going to pitch out of the bullpen and will eventually be eased into the rotation with that transition being quickened if we continue to tank. If we start to win games, you have the luxury of another hard throwing lefty with a nasty fastball out of the pen. Win/Win imo.

esbrechtel
06-09-2009, 10:54 AM
I think Poreda is going to pitch out of the bullpen and will eventually be eased into the rotation with that transition being quickened if we continue to tank. If we start to win games, you have the luxury of another hard throwing lefty with a nasty fastball out of the pen. Win/Win imo.

:thumbsup: agreed

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Cowley on the score:

Says the short term plan is Poreda is up to take Colon's spot in the starting rotation. He will likely make his MLB debut vs Milwaukee.

Thinks Colon will be released or put on the 15 day DL.

Says the Freddy Garcia signing is a safety net and now he is the insurance plan in case Poreda struggles.

Says Firesale is coming.

If true, I am all for it.:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 10:58 AM

In addition, if it's mostly a control issue than you want him working with the best Pitching Coach in the organization and throwing to the best most knowledgeable catchers. All of those people are on the big league club.

palehozenychicty
06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Why not? This team just doesn't have it right now. I'd rather see him come out of the pen, but what do I know?

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
The Sox have the 8th best bullpen (probably even better if you subtract MacDougal) in MLB and the 18th best rotation. I don't see how adding Poreda to the bullpen helps out the ballclub. Plus, if Poreda is having trouble with his command, I would rather it be in the first inning than in the 7th. With Gobble as a LOOGY and Thornton as a LHP setup guy, I think it's just too crowded out there.

Ozzie and KW are just going to have to make a tough decision with the rotation and pull the plug on Colon or send Richard to the pen.

JohnTucker0814
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Cowley on the score:

Says the short term plan is Poreda is up to take Colon's spot in the starting rotation. He will likely make his MLB debut vs Milwaukee.

Says the Freddy Garcia signing is a safety net and now he is the insurance plan in case Poreda struggles.

Says Firesale is coming.

I'm okay with a "fire" sale as well, as long as we return good young players for JD, because we will get draft compensation for him after the year...

I really can't wait to see the following line-up in the next year or so:

1b - Allen
2b - Getz
3b - Beckham
ss - Ramirez
lf - ????
cf - Anderson
rf - Quentin
dh - Viciedo
c - Flowers

(maybe Viciedo can play LF and we keep Dye on as DH)

BadBobbyJenks
06-09-2009, 11:01 AM
Well I pissed I was going to Milwaukee to see Colon, but now I am excited to see the debut of Poreda.

longtimesoxguy
06-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Poredas own facebook page says "Im heading to the big leagues". Let the young guns shape the team now.
Atta boy Aaron. Welcome and be sure your here to stay!!!!!!!

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm okay with a "fire" sale as well, as long as we return good young players for JD, because we will get draft compensation for him after the year...

1b - Allen
2b - Getz
3b - Beckham
ss - Ramirez
lf - ????
cf - Anderson
rf - Quentin
dh - Viciedo
c - Flowers

Why would you want BA as your CF. The guy is at most a 4th OF. People need to stop with the BA love.

beasly213
Cowley on the score:

Says Firesale is coming.

We'll see. I don't particurally trust Cowley for much of anything. As much as I wouldn't mind a Firesale, really what are we going to get for some of these guys?

BadBobbyJenks

1b - Allen
2b - Getz
3b - Beckham
ss - Ramirez
lf - ????
cf - Anderson
rf - Quentin
dh - Viciedo
c - Flowers

That has the potential to be the worst team in the league.:bandance:
Not a chance is Viciedo and Allen are in the starting lineup next year.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 11:04 AM
That has the potential to be the worst team in the league.:bandance:
Not a chance is Viciedo and Allen in the starting lineup next year.

Actually Allen is very likely to be on the 2010 team. Expect a promotion to AAA in the next few weeks. Viciedo though will not be in the bigs in 2010.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Why would you want BA as your CF. The guy is at most a 4th OF. People need to stop with the BA love.

The rest of that lineup is god awful, so what's the difference?

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:06 AM
We'll see. I don't particurally trust Cowley for much of anything. As much as I wouldn't mind a Firesale, really what are we going to get for some of these guys?
You'll get plenty for Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Dye, possibly PK, Thome (probably wouldn't get much for him).

There will be plenty of teams looking for bullpen help, and looking to overpay for it.

Chez
06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
I believe Colon's next three scheduled starts are in NL parks -- meaning he would have to bat. I think he's headed for the DL now as a preemptive move -- no way he comes through three games of swinging a bat and maybe even occasionally jogging down to first without injuring himself!

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
Because BA has proven he can't play in the Bigs. The others, who knows what happens with them. But I don't want BA as the CF of this team in the future, and I am sure KW is thinking the same thing.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:08 AM
You'll get plenty for Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Dye, possibly PK, Thome (probably wouldn't get much for him).

This is pure speculation, it's just as likely that the only guy who might bring equal value back is Thornton.

fox23
06-09-2009, 11:09 AM

1b - Allen
2b - Getz
3b - Beckham
ss - Ramirez
lf - ????
cf - Anderson
rf - Quentin
dh - Viciedo
c - Flowers

Ugh, if that's the opening day roster next year, it will make me pause when I get my season ticket renewal in the mail this winter...

doublem23
Because BA has proven he can't play in the Bigs. The others, who knows what happens with them. But I don't want BA as the CF of this team in the future, and I am sure KW is thinking the same thing.

:shrug:

If that's the 2010 lineup, BA is probably batting 5th.

I can't wait.

DirtySox

I don't know if I would say god awful, but unproven, risky, and not ready yet, are apt descriptions.

Frankie5Angels
I believe Colon's next three scheduled starts are in NL parks -- meaning he would have to bat. I think he's headed for the DL now as a preemptive move -- no way he comes through three games of swinging a bat and maybe even occasionally jogging down to first without injuring himself!
Colon is a one pitch pitcher. Fastball. Milwaukee and the Cubs, 2 of the teams he will be pitching to in his next starts are 2 of the best fastball hitting teams in baseball. Colon needs to be cut.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:11 AM
This is pure speculation, it's just as likely that the only guy who might bring equal value back is Thornton.
So Jenks, Linebrink and Dye wouldn't bring back much? Now that is pure speculation on your part.

doublem23
Colon is a one pitch pitcher. Fastball. Milwaukee and the Cubs, 2 of the teams he will be pitching to in his next starts are 2 of the best fastball hitting teams in baseball. Colon needs to be cut.

... to be replaced by a prospect whose only MLB caliber pitcher is his fastball.

Brilliant.

Frankie5Angels

If that's the 2010 lineup, BA is probably batting 5th.

I can't wait.
BA will be lucky to beon this team next year. JMO

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM

I agree. A firesale will not yield us much in return because nobody wants to take on salary. Thome is limited to the AL and I can't see anyone trading for him except the Red Sox, if they shelf Ortiz. Contreras probably could get us a low level prospect if he has another decent start. Paulie's overpaid for his current production and has another year, plus he can block all deals. Dye probably has the most value, but the teams that might trade for him are all in the northeast, and he has those teams on his no trade list.

By the way, if we take the next three we will be 1.5 games out of first. If we would not have blown game 1 yesterday we wouldn't be having this conversation.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 11:12 AM
... to be replaced by a prospect whose only MLB caliber pitcher is his fastball.

Brilliant.

To be fair, his slider is decent. And that fastball of his is quite good.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM

Brilliant.
We will see if Cowley is correct.
I would rather have a guy throwing 96-97 than I guy throwing 88-90. Gotta throw Poreda into the fire and see what he can do. This year is a waste anyway, might as well see what these young kids can do.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:14 AM
So Jenks, Linebrink and Dye wouldn't bring back much? Now that is pure speculation on your part.

This is just the way the baseball world operates right now, people are consevrative with their youngsters and their cash; Linebrink, for instance, has 2 years left on his deal and has persistent back problems, if we move him it's either someone takes his salary and we get crap back for him, or we get a decent player, but we end up paying most of Linebrink's salary.

KW tried to sell Dye to almost every team in the league this off-season and got nothing worthwhile in return. You're in for a rude awakening if you think teams will be falling over themselves to trade us decent players for these guys.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 11:15 AM
Going to have to agree that we have some very valuable bullpen pieces to be traded if it comes to that. Dye isn't going to net you a king's ransom, but a solid piece might be acquired. The Reds need a bat, and I would love to see what Coop could do with Homer Bailey.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:16 AM
BA will be lucky to beon this team next year. JMO

And you're basing this on what? His arbitration years run until 2012. Oh wait, are the Sox going to get a load of decent prospects for him, too?

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:17 AM
This is just the way the baseball world operates right now, people are consevrative with their youngsters and their cash; Linebrink, for instance, has 2 years left on his deal and has persistent back problems, if we move him it's either someone takes his salary and we get crap back for him, or we get a decent player, but we end up paying most of Linebrink's salary.

KW tried to sell Dye to almost every team in the league this off-season and got nothing worthwhile in return. You're in for a rude awakening if you think teams will be falling over themselves to trade us decent players for these guys.
There will be teams that overpay, there always are and always will be.

doublem23
I would rather have a guy throwing 96-97 than I guy throwing 88-90. Gotta throw Poreda into the fire and see what he can do. This year is a waste anyway, might as well see what these young kids can do.

This is absolutely the most baffling logic I have ever encountered. This year stinks, so we may as well ruin as many youngsters as we can in the process.

If the Sox are promoting Poreda to the Show because they think he's ready, fine, but I certainly hope they're operating from a more sane place.

DeuceUnit
I don't see this ending well. Walking lots of people in AAA doesn't usually mean it just stops when you get to the bigs. In fact, it leads to some very short outings, especially when the only pitch he has is a good fastball. Major leaguers will know to sit on it and when you have guys on base from walks, things get ugly real quick. Unless he was pulled up to face the White Sox that is....

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:18 AM
And you're basing this on what? His arbitration years run until 2012. Oh wait, are the Sox going to get a load of decent prospects for him, too?
Basing it on he sucks. They would be lucky to get a carton of Big League chew for the bum.

WhiteSoxFTW

There will be plenty of teams looking for bullpen help, and looking to overpay for it.

I really hope they don't trade away the bullpen. You can easily get rid of one of Linebrink/Dotel and get something in return, but I really hope they hold onto Jenks and Thornton.

doublem23
There will be teams that overpay, there always are and always will be.

I believe Bobby Abreu, Orlando Cabrera, and Orlando Hudson all thought the same thing mid-offseason, too.

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Jenks - declining fastball, increasing weight, and escalating contract in arbitration. Those three make him unattractive trade bait, although people overpay for closers (see Mets, NY)

Linebrink - Makes $15MM from 09-11 and has an injury history, and he's not really a setup guy anymore.

Dye - I still think Dye is a top flight outfielder who can still play some D. That being said, he has an OPS lower than 30 other outfielders and is owed a minimum of $12.5 (09 plus buyout). And he will block deals to NY and Boston, the teams that can afford his salary.

KMcMahon817
06-09-2009, 11:22 AM

This guy again. you make me sick. A waste? ha. 4.5 out on June 9th. wow...

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
This is absolutely the most baffling logic I have ever encountered. This year stinks, so we may as well ruin as many youngsters as we can in the process.

If the Sox are promoting Poreda to the Show because they think he's ready, fine, but I certainly hope they're operating from a more sane place.
How are you ruining them? Your logic makes no sense. When the hell are you suppose to bring kids up from the minors? This year is a waste, I think most everyone will agree with that. If you believe this team has a shot the way it is constructed now, you know very little about baseball. We have no CF,2nd baseman,we have a whole at 3b, we have no power coming out of LF, this team is so flawed it's ridiculous. The starting pitching has 2 guys at the end, where you don't know what they are gonna do from one start to the other. You have Danks struggling all of a sudden. This team is flawed.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:25 AM
You must have a problem with our own manager then because he said yeaterday this team is horse****.:gulp:

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 11:27 AM

I don't want to break up the bullpen! wth?

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM

And 4 games under .500 :dunno:

And playing the worst homestand of the year here in June.

I wish I had the same hope you do, but unless drastic changes are made, we are nothing better than about a .500 team.

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2009, 11:28 AM
You must have a problem with our own manager then because he said yeaterday this team is horse****.:gulp:

Did Ozzie say that this year was a waste?
This team does suck right now, doesn't mean the year is over, yet.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:29 AM
How are you ruining them? Your logic makes no sense. When the hell are you suppose to bring kids up from the minors? This year is a waste, I think most everyone will agree with that. If you believe this team has a shot the way it is constructed now, you know very little about baseball. We have no CF,2nd baseman,we have a whole at 3b, we have no power coming out of LF, this team is so flawed it's ridiculous. The starting pitching has 2 guys at the end, where you don't know what they are gonna do from one start to the other. You have Danks struggling all of a sudden. This team is flawed.

You ruin them by rushing them to the big leagues before they are ready, an art the Sox have perfected over the past, what, 20 years? The minor leagues exist for a reason, it's not just this vat of players that you can reach into an insert into your MLB lineup everyday, they are there so that younger players can mature and develop before reaching the big leagues. Players should not be learning "how to play the game" at the Major League level. That is ridiculous.

Yes, I understand the Sox are borderline contenders for the division this season, but that doesn't mean the right, long-term decision for the franchise is just to trade away every veteran player and promote the entire Birmingham Barons lineup.

I know we're all excited because this is the first time in seemingly ages that the Sox actually have a few potential good MLB players brewing in their farm system, but come on, we're not the Marlins who seem to be bursting at the seems every year with MLB ready youngsters.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM

Yes he did, but when did he say the season is over? :scratch:

Frankie5Angels
Did Ozzie say that this year was a waste?
This team does suck right now, doesn't mean the year is over, yet.
He said if Beckham gets called up this team is in trouble. So yeah, I would take that as this year is a waste.

hoosiersoxfan

Quentin comes back very soon and I'm sure Pods will be taking over at CF the way he's been hitting. Not the best defensive outfield but I'd take TCQ in the lineup over Wise or Anderson any day.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1613839,white-sox-aaron-poreda-060909.article

Cowley says Poreda is likely to take Colon's spot in the rotation.

Big D
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM
And 4 games under .500 :dunno:

And playing the worst homestand of the year here in June.

I wish I had the same hope you do, but unless drastic changes are made, we are nothing better than about a .500 team.

About .500 may be enough to stay in contention in the AL Central the entire season.

KMcMahon817
06-09-2009, 11:32 AM

All teams are "flawed" at some point during the year. And, I do not think that everyone would agree with your logic on this season being a waste. I just don't see how you can say that. 4.5 games in early June is not that big of deficit. I am not saying that this current team is a world series contender, but with some additions it could have a shot at the central. And then who knows in the playoffs. And your idea of no power coming out of left, well maybe that's because our left field in on the dl and will be returning within the next week. And, its actually a "hole" at 3rd, not a whole. And on top of that, give Beckham a chance. Christ.

cards press box
06-09-2009, 11:35 AM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1613839,white-sox-aaron-poreda-060909.article

Cowley says Poreda is likely to take Colon's spot in the rotation.

I imagine that the Sox will use this rotation:

Buerhle
Floyd
Danks
Contreras
Poreda

The bullpen will probably be:

RH

Jenks
Linebrink
Dotel
Carrasco

LH

Thornton
Richard
Gobble

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:36 AM
If Poreda is indeed ready to start every 5th day in the Majors, that's not too bad of a pitching staff.

Now if we could get some offense, please?

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
You ruin them by rushing them to the big leagues before they are ready, an art the Sox have perfected over the past, what, 20 years? The minor leagues exist for a reason, it's not just this vat of players that you can reach into an insert into your MLB lineup everyday, they are there so that younger players can mature and develop before reaching the big leagues. Players should not be learning "how to play the game" at the Major League level. That is ridiculous.

Yes, I understand the Sox are borderline contenders for the division this season, but that doesn't mean the right, long-term decision for the franchise is just to trade away every veteran player and promote the entire Birmingham Barons lineup.

I know we're all excited because this is the first time in seemingly ages that the Sox actually have a few potential good MLB players brewing in their farm system, but come on, we're not the Marlins who seem to be bursting at the seems every year with MLB ready youngsters.
Well, I have faith that the people down in the minors and KW know these kids must be ready. I am sure they don't want to rush players up and have the chance of ruining them as you say. If they choose to gut this team, then that is fine with me. This is a rebuilding year anyway, whether KW wants to come out and say it or not.

As for promoting the entire Barons lineup, they sure the hell can't call up the Knights lineup.:lol:

hawkjt
06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
with Poreda on ESPN1000 this morning ..silvy and waddle. Sounds very excited to be called up. He has not been told what he will do, says he is ready to do bullpen or start. Sounded very laid back California-style...almost BlackJack-like.
Says he feels like he is throwing the ball and commanding his best right now...

doublem23
06-09-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, I have faith that the people down in the minors and KW know these kids must be ready.

I don't. This seems to be our major disagreement. :cool:

MisterB
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM

Well according to this thread (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111976) regarding a Q&A with Rick Hahn a few weeks ago, Poreda was NOT ready and wasn't being considered for any short-term fixes.

Sounds like Kenny is grasping at straws now and player development be damned. :mad:

TheAnswer32
06-09-2009, 11:40 AM
I'm telling you guys right now, assuming the starters are TCQ/Pods/Dye, Beckham/TCM/Getz/Konerko, AJ and Thome. This team is going to win the division.

3.5 back at the end of this series with 3.5 months to go. Everyone take a deep breath, this mediocre team will make the playoffs.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Quentin comes back very soon and I'm sure Pods will be taking over at CF the way he's been hitting. Not the best defensive outfield but I'd take TCQ in the lineup over Wise or Anderson any day.
I hope CQ comes back and doesn't have anymore problems with his injury, but that is a type of injury that can give him problems the rest of the year.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 11:41 AM
If Poreda is indeed ready to start every 5th day in the Majors, that's not too bad of a pitching staff.

For what it's worth between the time he was drafted to only just recently, almost all scouts would tell you that Poreda's only future was in the bullpen. At this point those sentiments have changed to a near 50/50 split between him ending up a starter or a bullpen arm. This certainly indicates improvement to his secondary offerings. Hopefully this improvement continues.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I don't. This seems to be our major disagreement. :cool:
I guess so.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 11:46 AM
About .500 may be enough to stay in contention in the AL Central the entire season.

I hate to hang my hat on "accidentally" winning the division.

We are all banking that the Tigers or Twins will not catch fire and take off.

I wish we can be the team that catches fire and takes off without looking back,

Rohan
06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
We can speculate all we want on this one. I think that what it really comes down to is whether or not Poreda is ready or not. Hopefully he is, and hopefully Kenny knows what he's doing.

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Ozzie also said that ARod is not Dominican, that he has incriminating dirt on Maggs, he's better looking and richer than Buck Schowalter, and he said Mariotti is a homosexual.

Ozzie, to quote Billy Joel: "You may be right. I might be crazy." However, I think you are crazy Ozzie.

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Ozzie also said that ARod is not Dominican, that he has incriminating dirt on Maggs, he's better looking and richer than Buck Schowalter, and he said Mariotti is a homosexual.

Ozzie, to quote Billy Joel: "You may be right. I might be crazy." However, I think you are crazy Ozzie.

I like Ozzie this way.

His quote yesterday was priceless. "Good teams win games, horse**** teams have meetings. We're going to have a lot of meetings"

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 12:01 PM

You may think he is crazy, but he is right. This team is horse****. I think maybe that is what KW was so pissed about when it was reported he left the clubhouse mad after game 1. I am sure he didn't like the fact his manager called the team horse****, I am pretty sure that doesn't help ticket sales. I had no problem with what Ozzie said, I like that he called his team out, and his GM.

canOcorn
06-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Do you really think we're going to offer Dye arbitration? Even more unlikely would be him declining such an offer.

Ranger

I think people just tend to hear the name "Jimmy Gobble," they think of Konerko killing him, and they have it stuck in their minds that he's pitched horribly. He actually has not, though.

doublem23
I hate to hang my hat on "accidentally" winning the division.

We are all banking that the Tigers or Twins will not catch fire and take off.

I wish we can be the team that catches fire and takes off without looking back,

Who says we can't be? If Beckham can get comfortable and provide a spark of offense from 3B and Quentin can finally come back healty, I think we can go ahead and take this division.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Do you really think we're going to offer Dye arbitration? Even more unlikely would be him declining such an offer.

Since Thome will likely be gone next year, there still might be a spot in the Sox organization for JD anyway.

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 12:04 PM
Who says we can't be? If Beckham can get comfortable and provide a spark of offense from 3B and Quentin can finally come back healty, I think we can go ahead and take this division.

:thumbsup:

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 12:07 PM
White Sox's Carlos Quentin uncertain he'll be ready to return Wednesday

Slugger not confident about a return date

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-sox-bitsjun09,0,5772928.story

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 12:08 PM
You may think he is crazy, but he is right. This team is horse****. I think maybe that is what KW was so pissed about when it was reported he left the clubhouse mad after game 1. I am sure he didn't like the fact his manager called the team horse****, I am pretty sure that doesn't help ticket sales. I had no problem with what Ozzie said, I like that he called his team out, and his GM.

I think he's right and I think he's crazy. Look, this team is not very good right now. But if you are counting on a quote from Ozzie to signal the white flag, you are looking in the right place. On June 1st last year, Ozzie blew up in Tampa threatening the firing of Greg Walker, shaking up the lineup, offering "protection" for none of his players, pleading for changes by KW, and wondering about his own job security. No changes were made, the offense heated up, and the Sox won the division. Ozzie is a motivator.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:09 PM

I'm just about to write him off for the year.

The Sox have to be looking for another strong bat.

ode to veeck

agreed on the 1st statement, and Barto's been a pleasant surprize so far, but will do better with a little rest, plus it is clearly let's get the hot prospect some playing time--not time for a fire sale at this point

DirtySox

This. I was wondering when someone would bring this up. Just because Dye is going to be a free agent doesn't necessitate draft picks. If the Sox offered him arbitration he likely would accept therefore negating picks. Though it is possible if he is traded that he could decline arbitration at the end of the season if he isn't fond of where he ended up, thereby awarding picks to that team.

doublem23

I have no faith in the Tigers or Twins, so I'm sure whenever TCQ is ready to come back, the Sox will be in striking distance of the division lead.

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 12:11 PM

Brilliant.

the posters here continue to amaze me

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 12:13 PM
This. I was wondering when someone would bring this up. Just because Dye is going to be a free agent doesn't necessitate draft picks. If the Sox offered him arbitration he likely would accept therefore negating picks. Though it is possible if he is traded that he could decline arbitration at the end of the season if he isn't fond of where he ended up, thereby awarding picks to that team.

Correct me if I am wrong, but JD has a $12MM option with a buyout of $1MM. Wouldn't it be cheaper to exercise and pay 12 than buy him out for 1 and risk arbitration, which could be higher? Could they even offer arbitration if they buy him out?

Chez
06-09-2009, 12:14 PM
I think people just tend to hear the name "Jimmy Gobble," they think of Konerko killing him, and they have it stuck in their minds that he's pitched horribly. He actually has not, though.

I watched the 9th inning of Sunday's game. He pitched horribly. He didn't give up any runs; but he walked a couple of guys and had very little command over his pitches. Gobble will never be anything more than the last man in a major league bullpen and I would never trust him in a close game.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:15 PM

I have no faith in the Tigers or Twins, so I'm sure whenever TCQ is ready to come back, the Sox will be in striking distance of the division lead.

Wow, that's a quick re-justificaiton of your previous statement.

You said TCQ and Beckham could be the reason we can take off here. So 50% of that plan is erased by injury and you still feel this confident?

billyvsox
06-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Regarding who is getting sent out, the Sox do not need to make a move until they decide to use Poreda. If they make a move today, then they clearly need to use him out of the bullpen. If they plan to start him friday, then they do not need to make a move until then, but he will probably join the team to get acclimated to the big leagues for a couple of days.

My guess is Colon to the DL, and they havent yet decided on Richard vs Poreda in the rotation or bullpen.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 12:19 PM

You said TCQ and Beckham could be the reason we can take off here. So 50% of that plan is erased by injury and you still feel this confident?

Hey now, I never said the Sox will take off from today, I just think the Sox will be able to hang around the division lead most of the year, thanks largely to how average Detroit and Minnesota are. If Beckham can get comfy in the Majors and start hitting now and TCQ can come back healthy for any length of time this season, I really wouldn't bet against the Sox to win this division.

Even if it takes TCQ another month or so (let's say, after the All-Star Break) to be ready to play everyday again, it's not a terribly unrealistic scenario for the Sox to still be mingling around the division lead by then, IMO.

kobo
06-09-2009, 12:24 PM

How can you not? Do you really think the Tigers or Twins are going to run away with the division? With as many problems as the Sox have I don't see any team in the Central running away with the division. So if the Sox can play decent baseball while TCQ is hurt and stay within a couple games then when he returns I can see the team taking their game to another level.

Everyone is so quick to write off this season and it's June 9. I'm not always optimistic, but the idea of having a fire sale and gutting this team for no damn good reason makes zero sense to me. I want the Sox to compete, I want to watch at least decent baseball. I have no interest in the team dumping players and salary and then fielding a team of scrubs for the rest of the year. Because if that happens attendance will go down again, revenue will be lost, and then next year we'll hear about how KW only has 25 cents to spend instead of fifty cents. No thanks.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Hey now, I never said the Sox will take off from today, I just think the Sox will be able to hang around the division lead most of the year, thanks largely to how average Detroit and Minnesota are. If Beckham can get comfy in the Majors and start hitting now and TCQ can come back healthy for any length of time this season, I really wouldn't bet against the Sox to win this division.

Even if it takes TCQ another month or so (let's say, after the All-Star Break) to be ready to play everyday again, it's not a terribly unrealistic scenario for the Sox to still be mingling around the division lead by then, IMO.

I would not plan on getting a healthy Quentin back this year. I think Kenny should be looking for another legit bat out there who can play CF or LF. A power bat. We are lacking a power bat, which is what Quentin is.

So if we get another healthy bat here to go along with Gordon, I think I can agree with you that we can take off and win this thing.

Maybe this is why Poreda is up, to see if we can move an arm like Danks or Floyd to get a premier middle of the order hitter.

We can soak up a big contract here assuming all this money from those other guys comes off the books next year.

I think the Sox are in spending/buying mode right now.

Sockinchisox
06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Cowley just updated saying Birmingham coaches told him he's starting in the pen before moving to the rotation.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Cowley just updated saying Birmingham coaches told him he's starting in the pen before moving to the rotation.

Sounds good to me. Was what I initially expected.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I think the Sox are in spending/buying mode right now.

Me, too. I'm hoping KW sees what I see in this team, not bad, but incomplete. The Sox have gotten good performances out of some key vets, it's jus been the miserable play of some of the youngsters, but they have several very enviable pieces (good to excellent bullpen, solid middle of the lineup) that they can build on.

Plus, I'd assume he realizes that Detroit and Minnesota aren't anything special, and the Central is very much up for grabs.

Lastly, I'd hope he realizes that while our farm system is improved, it can't sustain a full-scale Major League fire sale. We just don't have that many prospects ready to hit the Majors; gutting this team would be comitting franchise suicide for the next couple of years.

mantis1212
06-09-2009, 12:33 PM
How can you not? Do you really think the Tigers or Twins are going to run away with the division? With as many problems as the Sox have I don't see any team in the Central running away with the division. So if the Sox can play decent baseball while TCQ is hurt and stay within a couple games then when he returns I can see the team taking their game to another level.

Everyone is so quick to write off this season and it's June 9. I'm not always optimistic, but the idea of having a fire sale and gutting this team for no damn good reason makes zero sense to me. I want the Sox to compete, I want to watch at least decent baseball. I have no interest in the team dumping players and salary and then fielding a team of scrubs for the rest of the year. Because if that happens attendance will go down again, revenue will be lost, and then next year we'll hear about how KW only has 25 cents to spend instead of fifty cents. No thanks.

I agree with this, and I have to think KW would as well. I'm not sure if Cowley actually used the words "fire sale", but if he did I think he's full of it.

With Thome coming off the books next year, I think the JD would look great in the DH spot. That leaves this year to see what these kids can do, and some money to spend in the offseason.

Calling up these kids gives us a good idea for next year, while really not hurting our chances this year. Is replacing Fields, Colon, and one other veteran with Poreda, Bekham, and one more kid is a firesale? I don't think so

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:34 PM

Would have been nice to have him start on Friday at Milwaukee.

Reminding of the Alex Fernandez debut (which was also Frank Thomas' debut too)

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199008021MIL

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Me, too. I'm hoping KW sees what I see in this team, not bad, but incomplete. The Sox have gotten good performances out of some key vets, it's jus been the miserable play of some of the youngsters, but they have several very enviable pieces (good to excellent bullpen, solid middle of the lineup) that they can build on.

Plus, I'd assume he realizes that Detroit and Minnesota aren't anything special, and the Central is very much up for grabs.

Lastly, I'd hope he realizes that while our farm system is improved, it can't sustain a full-scale Major League fire sale. We just don't have that many prospects ready to hit the Majors; gutting this team would be comitting franchise suicide for the next couple of years.

I think JR is a very smart business man and will not allow for this to happen. They saw how hard it was to make this franchise relevant again and I would assume they will not want to piss it all away.

The Cleveland Indians have never recovered their fan base from their fire sale earlier this decade.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 12:37 PM

On the flip side, he absolutely cannot sell the farm to fix this team. Unless he expects to fill all future holes through free agency, he needs to have some of the options he has down in the minors. A balance needs to be found if we are buying.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM
On the flip side, he absolutely cannot sell the farm to fix this team. Unless he expects to fill all future holes through free agency, he needs to have the options he has down at the farm. A balance needs to be found if we are buying.

If he could sell the farm for a winner, I think no one here should be complaining.

Selling the farm (Freddy Garcia) is what won it for us in 2005.

Britt Burns
06-09-2009, 12:39 PM

Good. Let him face some lefties first, get some confidence, and then stick him in the rotation. It may be a little early to have called him up but hey, why not? He has a year+ on Beckham in pro ball.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 12:41 PM
If he could sell the farm for a winner, I think no one here should be complaining.

Selling the farm (Freddy Garcia) is what won it for us in 2005.

I have no qualms mortgaging the future for a world series contending team, but I do not see this team as that without many significant upgrades. I don't want to sell the farm to just eek out a division win this year. For the record I loved the potential Peavy deal. It wasn't just a quick fix. Deals that look to the long term I'm very fine with.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Jenks - declining fastball, increasing weight, and escalating contract in arbitration. Those three make him unattractive trade bait, although people overpay for closers (see Mets, NY)

Linebrink - Makes $15MM from 09-11 and has an injury history, and he's not really a setup guy anymore.

Dye - I still think Dye is a top flight outfielder who can still play some D. That being said, he has an OPS lower than 30 other outfielders and is owed a minimum of $12.5 (09 plus buyout). And he will block deals to NY and Boston, the teams that can afford his salary.

Just to be picky, Bobby has found that fast ball again. He's touched 98 several times this year and is regularly hitting 95. Add in his improving mental game and ability to throw off speed stuff and he's just fine.

I don't see ANY point in dumping all of the bullpen guys unless this team isn't planning on competing until 2012 and then they ought to trade Buehrle too. I doubt KW is even close to thinking that way...

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 12:59 PM

Walking.

It will come down to if the Sox can hit and the fact that they haven't so far but are about to dump two of the major offensive problems (CF and 3B) for better players, things should be looking up and soon...

cards press box
06-09-2009, 01:13 PM

So, who starts Friday: Richard (on three days rest) or Colon? And whose roster spot does Poreda take?

bigdommer
06-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Just to be picky, Bobby has found that fast ball again. He's touched 98 several times this year and is regularly hitting 95. Add in his improving mental game and ability to throw off speed stuff and he's just fine.

I don't see ANY point in dumping all of the bullpen guys unless this team isn't planning on competing until 2012 and then they ought to trade Buehrle too. I doubt KW is even close to thinking that way...

Touche, you are right on Jenks. He probably has more trade value than anyone on this team for several reasons: everyone needs bullpen arms, he's battle tested, reasonably cheap, and he could be moved again. That being said, it's all the more reason to keep him around until his walk year, as he'll always have value.

TheVulture
06-09-2009, 01:40 PM

Yes, but it just might be a lunatic you're looking for.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Still nothing official out of the White Sox front office?

JB98
06-09-2009, 02:14 PM
So, who starts Friday: Richard (on three days rest) or Colon? And whose roster spot does Poreda take?

That's what I want know. If Poreda's not starting Friday, then it's either Colon or Richard on three days.

I'm certain they won't ask Richard to pitch on short rest. And if Poreda is taking Colon's roster spot, then Colon has to be out of the mix for Friday. :scratch:

eriqjaffe
06-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Still nothing official out of the White Sox front office?Does Scott Merkin count as official?

http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/06/poreda_to_be_called_up.html

TheAnswer32
06-09-2009, 02:40 PM
That's what I want know. If Poreda's not starting Friday, then it's either Colon or Richard on three days.

I'm certain they won't ask Richard to pitch on short rest. And if Poreda is taking Colon's roster spot, then Colon has to be out of the mix for Friday. :scratch:

Please don't let me drive to Milwaukee to watch Colon pitch. :praying:

ChiSoxGirl
06-09-2009, 02:42 PM

No kidding!!!

JB98
06-09-2009, 02:45 PM

Fortunately for me, my friend is driving. :D:

TheAnswer32
06-09-2009, 02:51 PM
Fortunately for me, my friend is driving. :D:

It's the driving after wards part I'm worried about, and if Colon pitches, I won't be able to drive to the hotel.....

ajismyhero
06-09-2009, 02:56 PM
i feel like Kenny must have a trade up his sleeve - what does one team do with 7 starters? granted, only one of them has been consistently good this year.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Does Scott Merkin count as official?

http://scottmerkin.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/06/poreda_to_be_called_up.html

I was talking more on who is getting sent down, etc.

BigP50
06-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I really hope that we bring Poreda in the rotation for Colon. I had to witness the badness on sunday and he is scheduled to pitch friday, a game that I will also be at.

NLaloosh
06-09-2009, 03:14 PM
I have to believe that Colon is gone.

Poreda goes to the bullpen and the rotation is Buehrle, Danks, Floyd, Contreras and Richard.

I'd be surprised if any big trade was coming. With Quentin, Contreras, Beckham and Poreda that's a lot of new personnel/ help added already.

Gammons Peter
06-09-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Quentin is going to be out for a while

TheAnswer32
06-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I think Quentin is going to be out for a while

We can still activate him so that Ozzie can't even be tempted to put Wise in the game.

But seriously, I just don't understand why the Sox would call up Whisler for a few days and now go with Poreda in the pen instead. Just pick one guy and stay with him!

bridgeportcopper
06-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Colon on 15 day DL - per Boers & Bernstein!

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 03:41 PM

It's about time we got some word on this.

WhiteSox5187
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM

For what?

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
For what?

Pulled some fat...

Thanks for the straight line...:D:

Jim Shorts
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
For what?

Because it's crippling to only throw fastballs in MLB

PaleHoser
06-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Swelling in his left knee. (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/colon-placed-on-white-soxs-dl.html)

Gammons Peter
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
For what?

giant face

dickallen15
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Swelling in the knee? How could they tell?

twinslayer
06-09-2009, 03:48 PM
:scratch: I wonder how...

Chez
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Swollen ERA would be more accurate. :D:

sunofgold
06-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Poreda is like Beckham but he is a pitcher. Time to bring out the 6 man rotation. Let them play musical chairs for a few rounds.

DumpJerry
06-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Poreda is like Beckham but he is a pitcher. Time to bring out the 6 man rotation. Let them play musical chairs for a few rounds.
Ummm.....no. Don't you want the Sox to win games? Six man rotations are killers for the starters.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM

Check it again, he's managed to keep the ERA in check by giving up a ton of un-earned runs recently...

Chez
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM

No way. Poreda starts Friday; Richard to the bullpen. Jimmy Gobble should play the lotto tonight.

Chez
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Check it again, he's managed to keep the ERA in check by giving up a ton of un-earned runs recently...

Very true. How about swollen WHIP?

Jimmy Piersall
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM

Because Herm drained it this morning and gravy came out.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 03:58 PM

They are unearned walks and hits, so they don't count either...:?:

sunofgold
06-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Time to exact some revenge for all of the other rookies shutting us out. The Rookie Revenge will be sweet.

spawn
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Poreda is like Beckham but he is a pitcher.
I'm like Beckham too, except I don't play baseball.

doublem23
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
They are unearned walks and hits, so they don't count either...:?:

I've never heard of that.

chisoxfanatic
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I'm gonna see how this all works out before I get too questionable about it, but we do already have a ton of really young guys on this squad as it is. Hopefully this all works out.

DumpJerry
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Time to exact some revenge for all of the other rookies shutting us out. The Rookie Revenge will be sweet.
You might be on to something. If any team knows how a rookie pitcher making one of his first five starts can look like Nolan Ryan at his peak, it's the White Sox!

doublem23
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM

You've got just as many career hits!

DumpJerry
06-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Poreda is like Beckham but he is a pitcher.

I'm more like Poreda. Same ethnic background. I also bat and throw left.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 04:05 PM
I've never heard of that.

That's cuz I made it up. :D:

You know that I disagree on a pitcher being able to give up unlimited un-earned runs from a stats perspective. I figured if the runs shouldn't count than the walks and hits that led to them shouldn't either. I mean they never would have happened without the error...

sunofgold
06-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't know # what Poreda is going to take. I would recommend 59.

jdm2662
06-09-2009, 04:24 PM

I like inflammed ERA myself. It's a common injury in MLB.

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 04:26 PM

Pulled some fat...

Thanks for the straight line...:D:

LMAO, this thread is starting to get hot finally. Colon needs a break and has already proven he can still be effective; give the big bad fastballer a rest and use him down the line.

Domeshot17
06-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Might work if hes in the bullpen, but I don't expect much if he is in the rotation. Guys who have no offspeed pitches don't fare well in the pros. You can't get by with just a fastball at the pro level

Rohan
06-09-2009, 04:31 PM
:rolling:

The White Sox colon is swelling up again.

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
Might work if hes in the bullpen, but I don't expect much if he is in the rotation. Guys who have no offspeed pitches don't fare well in the pros. You can't get by with just a fastball at the pro level

I guess winning the Cy Young that way didn't count or the full hard year he gave us in '03 neither.

Konerko05
06-09-2009, 04:48 PM
I guess winning the Cy Young that way didn't count or the full hard year he gave us in '03 neither.

He's talking about Poreda.

Chez
06-09-2009, 04:51 PM
With Beckhan and Poreda called up within a week, is anyone else having bad flashbacks to Borchard and Rauch? God, I hope this turns out better. Much, much better.

Konerko05
06-09-2009, 05:01 PM
With Beckhan and Poreda called up within a week, is anyone else having bad flashbacks to Borchard and Rauch? God, I hope this turns out better. Much, much better.

I'm alright with Beckham being called up this season. He is an extremely polished player with a major league ready bat.

I'm not too excited about Poreda being called up. I think his ceiling is too high to call him before he has fully developed his secondary pitches. He has much more value as a starter than a reliever.

He's only 22. I would've liked him spend the rest of this year and AA, and start next year in AAA. The Sox are definitely rushing him.

If they plan to use him out of the bullpen, it makes doesn't make any sense to call him up. Why hinder his development for a need that is hardly pressing? I'd rather have Whisler or a pitcher of his caliber in the mop up role than deter Poreda's progress.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
You aren't seriously comparing Colon now to back then are you? I hope you aren't.

KenBerryGrab
06-09-2009, 05:17 PM

Did you have to bring that up? Jah deliver us from such a fate.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Bartolo Colon is so fat...he looks at a menu in a restaurant and says, "Okay."

06-09-2009, 05:18 PM

Because Colon wasn't throwing 97 in both those years or anything. Oh, and he had an 87 mph curveball that he actually used!

With the injury, he's reinvented himself this year to a control pitcher that has to spot his fastball almost all the time to be effective. The book is out on him and hitters are going to be sitting on his pitches, er, I mean the one pitch he throws.

Rocky Soprano
06-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Bartolo Colon is so fat...he looks at a menu in a restaurant and says, "Okay."

[crickets]

Keep your day job.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 06:27 PM
[crickets]

Keep your day job.
I'm retired.

Mohoney
06-09-2009, 07:05 PM
First Beckham, now Poreda?

Maybe this is Kenny's way of shaking up the atmosphere in the clubhouse a little bit?

gosox41
06-09-2009, 10:07 PM
First Beckham, now Poreda?

Maybe this is Kenny's way of shaking up the atmosphere in the clubhouse a little bit?

I think KW is trying to get some good PR by showing fans he is trying to win now. I think he also wants to show not every young player is a bust.

I think Beckham and Poreda were called up way too soon. I'm all for a conservative approach in player development and have no problem if players need a 2-3 full seasons in the minros, especially pitchers.

Bob