PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 6/8 ZOMG!!! Sox Win!!! Game 2 Postgame Thread!

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Discuss.

thomas35forever
06-08-2009, 09:30 PM
You didn't think Jose was washed up, did you?:cool:

Frankie5Angels
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Great game by Jose. Gotta give credit to Jose, for not bitching about getting sent down and actually accepting it and working out the problems he was having while in Charlotte. Kudo Jose.:gulp:

Harry Potter
06-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I guess we need to send everyone down to the minors for a few weeks to clear their minds and re-learn fundamentals

Jose! :gulp:

Marqhead
06-08-2009, 09:32 PM
As horrible as this team is, they are still only 4.5 back, and it's early June.

One hell of a stop gap start by Jose.

chisoxfanatic
I think we need to find a way to get Tom Glavine on this team.

:tongue:

Frater Perdurabo
This was a great "re-boot" for Contreras. That's just what we needed on a double-header day. Contreras certainly has earned another start. So who gets demoted from the rotation to the long relief role? Richard? Danks?

LoveYourSuit
The Sox are almost in must sweep mode the rest of this series.

Just to save a 6-6 Homestand

Soxman219
Props to Jose, looks like the 2005 version is back.

JB98
I'm really happy for Contreras. It's been so frustrating to watch him pitch this season. But tonight, he was in total command.

He needed that, and so did the Sox.

BleacherBandit
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
I think we need to find a way to get Tom Glavine on this team.

:tongue:

What's that all about?

ChiSox89
06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
great win after a tough loss. can't say enough of how awesome jose was tonite. 8 innings giving up 1 hit, awesome

JB98
06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
This was a great "re-boot" for Contreras. That's just what we needed on a double-header day. Contreras certainly has earned another start. So who gets demoted from the rotation to the long relief role? Richard? Danks?

Colon, IMO. Fatolo's stuff has been real flat the last two times out.

NDSox12
Obviously, Jose earned another start. Does this mean Richard is headed back to the bullpen?

Fortunately, I missed the first game. Not much to complain about in the night cap. Too bad Thornton blew the shutout, but that was as good a time as any for him to give up a home run.

GlassSox
Excellent outing by Jose. Can you believe Pods with a home run? Good comeback after the afternoon fiasco.

Jim Shorts
You just have to respect the level of pride that Jose has. He took the demotion and worked his **** out in Charlotte.

He came back today with some filthy stuff.

Keep your chin up, Gordon. It's coming and you'll be just fine.

chisoxfanatic
What's that all about?
It's in the game thread. Some outstanding caller on the B&B show today said he personally was gonna bring Tom Glavine to the Sox to become our closer.

Frankie5Angels
Colon. He is a one pitch pitcher right now.

Frater Perdurabo
OK, after splitting today, we have a "three game series" coming up with Detroit. Let's win tomorrow!

DrCrawdad
06-08-2009, 09:35 PM
As horrible as this team is, they are still only 4.5 back, and it's early June.

One hell of a stop gap start by Jose.

(Darn) Straight!

Harry Potter
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Jose saves our season and the ledge jumpers step down (at least for one night)

goon
06-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Jose was never done. Gotta get them tomorrow though.

PhillipsBubba
06-08-2009, 09:38 PM
You didn't think Jose was washed up, did you?:cool:

That remains to be seen...great job tonight....I'm looking for consistency from him.

I liked that he was working quickly and confidently.

GoGoCrede
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Had a test so I missed the game...great to hear that Jose got the job done and we were homer happy. I am so happy for Jose, it broke my heart to see him struggle earlier this season and hearing the boos for him.

Jim Shorts
06-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Had a test so I missed the game...great to hear that Jose got the job done and we were homer happy. I am so happy for Jose, it broke my heart to see him struggle earlier this season and hearing the boos for him.

You'll be really pleased then, because Jose was lights out tonight.

GoGoCrede
06-08-2009, 09:45 PM
You'll be really pleased then, because Jose was lights out tonight.

I just checked the box score. 8 innings, two hits?! :o: Mercy. I'm pissed that I missed it. Stupid midterm.

tstrike2000
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Just like a good business, Jose had location, location, location. Very nice and hopefully he can build on this start into a string of quality starts.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 09:47 PM
I just checked the box score. 8 innings, two hits?! :o: Mercy. I'm pissed that I missed it. Stupid midterm.
I'm pissed I went to the day game instead of the nightcap.

I'd imagine Colon will be feeling some heat if Contreras can keep this up.

GoGoCrede
06-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I'm pissed I went to the day game instead of the nightcap.

I'd imagine Colon will be feeling some heat if Contreras can keep this up.

And of course I was able to watch the day game in its entirety, but missed the whole nightcap. Life's funny like that. But yeah, must have been even worse for you. :redneck

palehozenychicty
06-08-2009, 09:49 PM
The key was strikes. When he does that, we win. It's always been that way. He's just streaky, so if we get one last good run, then fantastic.

DSpivack
06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
The key was strikes. When he does that, we win. It's always been that way. He's just streaky, so if we get one last good run, then fantastic.

I wonder if he wasn't completely healthy to start the season, too.

palehozenychicty
06-08-2009, 09:54 PM

It's possible that he needed some more time to get healthy and warm up. Time will tell.

tacosalbarojas
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
He may also have a found a new catcher.

ChiSoxFan81
06-08-2009, 09:56 PM
What a performance by Jose. We needed that. The fact that we still didn't shut them out is a bummer though. Makes all our shutouts look even worse.

BigP50
06-08-2009, 09:57 PM
what an amazing outing by Jose, good job big fella

ramblinsoxfan11
06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Now that Jose is pitching like he used to, can Floyd and Danks step up to the mound?!?

JB98
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Now that Jose is pitching like he used to, can Floyd and Danks step up to the mound?!?

Floyd's been real strong the last four starts. Looks like he has it turned around.

Frankie5Angels
06-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Floyd has stepped up big time since the beginning of the year. Danks and Colon are the only 2 who really need to step it up.

cheezheadsoxfan
06-08-2009, 10:03 PM
It's possible that he needed some more time to get healthy and warm up. Time will tell.

Ozzie alluded to that in the post-game press conference. Said he may not have been ready and "that was our fault".

SoxGirl4Life
06-08-2009, 10:05 PM
Amen, a win! I was running around all night, looks like I missed a great game by Jose! Gonna catch it on the archive. Lets take the rest of the series! :bandance:

BadBobbyJenks
06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
If only we would have signed Tom Glavine to be our new closer, we could have preserved the shut out.

ode to veeck
06-08-2009, 10:08 PM

That's a tough injury to get over at anyone's age; the extra time coudn't have done anything but help.

SoxGirl4Life
And lets keep Beckham starting at 3rd. That ninth inning of the first game was enough for me.

Whitesoxfan23
If only we would have signed Tom Glavine to be our new closer, we could have preserved the shut out.

Posf of the week.

SoxGirl4Life

I heard that call on the way home. That guy was certifiable.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 10:12 PM
It is just his first game back though. Let's see him hopefully do this a few times in a row.

Why did the MLB Network state in their little graphic about Dye's performance today that this doubleheader was against the RANGERS when they were just interviewing Dye?

voodoochile
06-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Great to see Jose pitching so effectively and the offense providing some runs early and often.

The big three pitchers are coming and the bats just woke up again. Gotta like our chances these next three games...

**** DETROIT!!!

:soxwin:

:)

ChiSoxGirl
06-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Actually, his line went like this: 8IP, 0ER, 1H, 1BB, 3Ks. :o: He was in command tonight, for sure!

veeter
06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Colon. He is a one pitch pitcher right now.I agree. Bartolo has looked like a guy in spring training who's, "just working on stuff". Jose's whole Sox career, through the ups and downs, he's always been a class act. Great job Contreras!!!!

kevingrt
06-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I agree. Bartolo has looked like a guy in spring training who's, "just working on stuff". Jose's whole Sox career, through the ups and downs, he's always been a class act. Great job Contreras!!!!

Agree. He has always been a class act. Hopefully he can hold it together the rest of the year pitch 6 innings per start and give up 3 ER, aka quality starts. I'd love to see him not take another trip to the DL as well.

Now what do we do? Move Colon to Charlotte or the bullpen? And if we demote him who is coming up?

voodoochile
06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Actually, his line went like this: 8IP, 0ER, 1H, 1BB, 3Ks. :o: He was in command tonight, for sure!

Bunch of weak ass swings by the kittens on that nasty breaking stuff he was throwing. Speeds varying between 93 and 75 MPH. That's tough.

The kind of performance that can give a boost to a struggling team too. Welcome back Jose...

voodoochile
06-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Agree. He has always been a class act. Hopefully he can hold it together the rest of the year pitch 6 innings per start and give up 3 ER, aka quality starts. I'd love to see him not take another trip to the DL as well.

Now what do we do? Move Colon to Charlotte or the bullpen? And if we demote him who is coming up?

I think if you are going to do something with Colon other than let him start, you have to DFA him. He's proved to be a bad seed when he isn't starting in the past...

DirtySox
06-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Another Quentin update:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-sox-bitsjun09,0,5772928.story

Doesn't sound like he will be ready for a while.

DSpivack
06-08-2009, 10:28 PM
I think if you are going to do something with Colon other than let him start, you have to DFA him. He's proved to be a bad seed when he isn't starting in the past...

When was this? A quick glance at his career numbers, he's only thrown three games of relief in his career, two in his rookie year.

voodoochile
06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
When was this? A quick glance at his career numbers, he's only thrown three games of relief in his career, two in his rookie year.

He refused to allow the Red Sox to move him to the pen last year. In fact it was part of the negotiations with the Sox that they were planning on using him exclusively as a starter.

This is as I recall. I don't have links...

DSpivack
06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
He refused to allow the Red Sox to move him to the pen last year. In fact it was part of the negotiations with the Sox that they were planning on using him exclusively as a starter.

Didn't know that, thanks. I guess that means Richard moves back to the pen, no?

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 10:32 PM

To be fair to him, some starters just have a thing about them that they HAVE to start and can't pitch out of the bullpen. They have to know exactly when and against whom they are going to pitch against for full preparation. It's more of a psychological thing than anything.

JB98
06-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Another Quentin update:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-sox-bitsjun09,0,5772928.story

Doesn't sound like he will be ready for a while.

I didn't take it quite that negatively. It just seems that Q isn't sure, so he gave a vague answer to the reporter.

He may not be ready Wednesday, but I'll bet he's back on the field within the next week.

JB98
06-08-2009, 10:33 PM

I think Friday night is a big start for Colon. If he delivers a quality outing, then Richard probably does go back to the pen.

russ99
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM

Well in a perfect world, the Sox would acquire another starter for the middle of the rotation, and move Richard either to the pen or as part of the deal.

But at this point I feel more comfortable with Colon giving us 1 good start out of every 3 at #5 then starting Richard, who IMO has gotten to the point where the league has figured him out.

DSpivack
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
I think Friday night is a big start for Colon. If he delivers a quality outing, then Richard probably does go back to the pen.

And if not...?

ChiSoxGirl
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
I didn't take it quite that negatively. It just seems that Q isn't sure, so he gave a vague answer to the reporter.

He may not be ready Wednesday, but I'll bet he's back on the field within the next week.

I don't know how feasible it is, but it sure would be nice to have TCQ back for the Milwaukee series this weekend. They're a tough bunch up there.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Great game by Jose. Gotta give credit to Jose, for not bitching about getting sent down and actually accepting it and working out the problems he was having while in Charlotte. Kudo Jose.:gulp:I thought he asked to be sent down, even though it was their plan anyway? :?: Sorry for the really late reply, but it was something I wanted confirmed or disproved... Great game though, since they won and I was there... I am a Sox fan again not suffering from major depression. :redneck

JB98
06-08-2009, 10:40 PM
And if not...?

If not, it's time to think about pulling Colon from the rotation. Especially if Contreras is good his next time out.

I don't have a lot of faith in Colon. Even at his best, he's a six-inning pitcher. He has to be pinpoint with his fastball, because his breaking stuff is real spotty.

JB98
06-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't know how feasible it is, but it sure would be nice to have TCQ back for the Milwaukee series this weekend. They're a tough bunch up there.

We know Thome isn't going to play in the NL parks, so it sure would be nice to get Quentin's bat in there.

No Q and no Thome makes for a weak lineup.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/6788/51537042.jpg
I think he's had a few before that and pretty important ones at that. :rolleyes:

russ99
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I think he's had a few before that and pretty important ones at that. :rolleyes:

Yow. That's quite a big mistake... Blue seat anyone? :redface:

Frankfan4life
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Awesome pitching performance by Jose. Unfortunately, I went to the wrong end of the double-header. Nevertheless, I enjoyed watching the second game and finally seeing the Sox play like a major league team. Well done!

Pods is amazing! I guess he got tired of waiting for someone to drive him in so he decided to do it himself. :tongue: I say we vote him into the All Star Game. How about it?

ChiSoxGirl
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
We know Thome isn't going to play in the NL parks, so it sure would be nice to get Quentin's bat in there.

No Q and no Thome makes for a weak lineup.

I'll say! I'm worried about this weekend's series.

I saw that and said, "1st homerun of career?! Did these people not watch the 2005 playoffs and World Series?!" As soon as the graphic flashed up, it came down almost immediately.

hi im skot
06-08-2009, 10:55 PM
That was unexpected. For once, I'm tipping my cap to our pitcher tonight.

Great game, Jose.

JGarlandrules20
06-08-2009, 10:59 PM
Haha. The man hit 12 with Milwaukee in '04.

Great win tonight. Jose really picked up his teammates after that awful first game.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I saw that and said, "1st homerun of career?! Did these people not watch the 2005 playoffs and World Series?!" As soon as the graphic flashed up, it came down almost immediately.
But, they showed it twice total! They do not count postseason stats towards "career" stats; but, he's hit 6 home runs since the start of the 2006 season even, including 5 for us!

WhiteSox1989
06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Outstanding game by Jose. I am once again impressed by his work ethic.

doublem23
06-08-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm psyched about Jose's start, but can we dull the talk about totally reworking the rotation around him? A week ago, everyone thought the Sox would have been crazy to let Clayton Richard go for a bum like former Cy Young winner Jake Peavy.

Mohoney
06-08-2009, 11:22 PM

John Danks is not getting replaced in the rotation.

longtimesoxguy
06-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Jose is an example to his teammates after his last few weeks. Work on what you need too and help the club.
Jose worked all of season on conditioning and not pitching. Who knows what he can do from here on out

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Jose is an example to his teammates after his last few weeks. Work on what you need too and help the club.
Jose worked all of season on conditioning and not pitching. Who knows what he can do from here on out
Considering the extent of his injury, I honestly did not think he would have been pitching until after the All Star Break. Anything we have already received or will receive until around then I will consider to be "gravy." This "gravy" we tasted tonight was surely delicious.

06-08-2009, 11:31 PM
What is all this talk about Richard getting sent back to the pen? He's a better option in the rotation then I throw one-pitch at 88 mph Colon. The guy is still going through his first ML season and will experience growing pains. Remember Danks rookie year? I can't believe no one is high on this kid, he just needs some movement on that fastball and he can be a good mid-rotation starter.

johnnyg83
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
What is all this talk about Richard getting sent back to the pen? He's a better option in the rotation then I throw one-pitch at 88 mph Colon. The guy is still going through his first ML season and will experience growing pains. Remember Danks rookie year? I can't believe no one is high on this kid, he just needs some movement on that fastball and he can be a good mid-rotation starter.

i like 'em a lot.

doublem23
06-08-2009, 11:37 PM

Because most of us see that Richard is, at best, an OK starter, but he's got the stuff to be a fantastic bullpen arm. Keeping him in the rotation because he's the least worst option would be like rushing your 2B/SS #1 prospect and forcing him to play everyday at 3B because you can't come up with any other ideas...

http://www.chicagosport.com/csport/assets/product_images/PAAAIAHHDAADIHPMt.jpg

jabrch
06-08-2009, 11:41 PM
A week ago, everyone thought the Sox would have been crazy to let Clayton Richard go for a bum like former Cy Young winner Jake Peavy.

What does that say about "everyone"?

BadBobbyJenks
06-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Because most of us see that Richard is, at best, an OK starter, but he's got the stuff to be a fantastic bullpen arm. Keeping him in the rotation because he's the least worst option would be like rushing your 2B/SS #1 prospect and forcing him to play everyday at 3B because you can't come up with any other ideas...

Haha that is POTW material right there.

Whitesoxfan23
06-09-2009, 12:18 AM

Awesome post. Yeah Richard would be a really good bullpen arm, but he never will be a special starter or anything.

DirtySox
06-09-2009, 12:32 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-sox-tigersjun09,0,6137418.story

Scouts from 8 teams were in attendance for today's game it mentions. Hmmm. Still hard to tell if we are going to be buyers or sellers. The rest of this series might determine that.

whitesoxfan
06-09-2009, 12:34 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-09-sox-tigersjun09,0,6137418.story

Scouts from 8 teams were in attendance for today's game it mentions. Hmmm. Still hard to tell if we are going to be buyers or sellers. The rest of this series might determine that.

My guess is they were there to see Clayton.

Thome25
06-09-2009, 02:15 AM

Hopefully Colon. That fat fat man needs to be in a galaxy far far away from the White Sox starting rotation.

guillensdisciple
06-09-2009, 02:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60og9gwKh1o

Victory song. Loved the performance by Contreras, and am really happy to see one of my favorite pitchers in the past 10 years pitch so well.

Here is to winning three more agains Detroit and righting the ship. This team can do it!

southside rocks
06-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I thought he asked to be sent down, even though it was their plan anyway? :?: Sorry for the really late reply, but it was something I wanted confirmed or disproved... Great game though, since they won and I was there... I am a Sox fan again not suffering from major depression. :redneck

No, he agreed to be sent down -- he is long out of options, they had to get his consent to send him to the minors, he could have refused.

Instead he said that he welcomed the chance to go and to get himself right by pitching regularly and working out the problems. And it appears that he did that. Last night was a wonderful game to watch. I was so happy for Jose, particularly when he got an ovation on leaving the field after the 8th. He's got a huge heart. I hope this is the start of a phenomenal comeback for him.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
My guess is they were there to see Clayton.

Well Josh didn't do himself any favors...

ChiSoxFan81
06-09-2009, 09:53 AM

Were you running the graphics last night? :tongue:
Love the new sig

Jim Shorts
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Well Josh didn't do himself any favors...

Sadly, neither did Clayton

WhiteSoxFTW
06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Damnit, I hate WCIU. I can't watch any of the Sox games that are on this stupid channel, because I am downstate. I really wish I could've seen the game last night.