PDA

View Full Version : Fields wants answers from Sox about future

Frankie5Angels
06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1612402,josh-fields-white-sox-gordon-beckham-060809.article

Like I said in the gamethread. Josh, if you don't start playing respectable baseball, you will have no future.

palehozenychicty
06-08-2009, 07:17 PM
+1. We can't even get rid of him now for anything.

Big D
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
I want answers from the Sox about Fields too. Answers to the question "Why is he in the big leagues?"

Frater Perdurabo
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
When are you going to shorten your swing and start making more contact, Josh?

dickallen15
06-08-2009, 07:31 PM
They should give him the "For Rent" classifieds in the Charlotte newspaper.

oeo
06-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't see what's wrong with what he said. Like he said, he got his average up, and then he got demoted. :scratch: He's gotten a pretty raw deal since after his rookie year. He has a right to know what's up.

What we should be looking at is how Fields mentions that everything is 'awkward' for the entire team. That's not good. Kenny should be questioned, as it appears the team is starting to do it.

Huisj
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
It's not like Fields has been a silver slugger or anything this year even with his recent streak of hitting decently, but the thing that makes the situation odd is that they chose to put Beckham at 3B instead of try him at 2B. Getz and Nix have not exactly been setting the world on fire there, and yet they seem perfectly content to keep running them out there day after day despite poor production.

Konerko05
06-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't see what's wrong with what he said. Like he said, he got his average up, and then he got demoted. :scratch: He's gotten a pretty raw deal since after his rookie year.

You are to Josh Fields what It's Dankerific is to Brian Anderson.

oeo
06-08-2009, 07:49 PM

Okay...

When I start hijacking threads about Josh Fields, asking why Fields isn't in the lineup everyday, knowing what Fields ate for breakfast that day, etc., then you can say that.

1. Tell me what's wrong with what he said. 2. Tell me how he hasn't gotten a raw deal- he was sent down last year for Crede, now he's losing his job this year to Beckham, who has zero experience at 3B.

EDIT: Surprise, surprise...he runs.

It's Dankerific
06-08-2009, 07:51 PM

Okay...

When I start hijacking threads about Josh Fields, asking why Fields isn't in the lineup everyday, knowing what Fields ate for breakfast that day, etc., then you can say that.

1. Tell me what's wrong with what he said. 2. Tell me how he hasn't gotten a raw deal- he was sent down last year for Crede, now he's losing his job this year to Beckham.

Leave me the **** out of this.

doublem23
06-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Fields sucks, the faster we can get rid of him the better the Sox will be (doubly so if he takes Wise with him).

Daver
06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
It's not like Fields has been a silver slugger or anything this year even with his recent streak of hitting decently, but the thing that makes the situation odd is that they chose to put Beckham at 3B instead of try him at 2B. Getz and Nix have not exactly been setting the world on fire there, and yet they seem perfectly content to keep running them out there day after day despite poor production.

Getz and Nix offer something that Josh does not, the ability to run the bases well, when you are a power hitter that plays poor defense, and you're not hitting much, you are going to be on top of the list to get replaced.

Konerko05
06-08-2009, 08:02 PM
Okay...

1. Tell me what's wrong with what he said. 2. Tell me how he hasn't gotten a raw deal- he was sent down last year for Crede, now he's losing his job this year to Beckham, who has zero experience at 3B.

EDIT: Surprise, surprise...he runs.

Huh? Who runs? Sorry I don't live my life in front of a computer screen.

Everything is wrong with what he said. He is a horrible baseball player and he shouldn't be calling out management to the media while he is costing the team ballgames.

What exactly has he done to keep his job at 3B? A sub .650 OPS with horrible defense?

Getting sent down for Joe Crede isn't a raw deal, it's just reality.

Oh, and sorry for the comment Dankerific. I was just messing around. At least your arguments about Anderson's playing time are warranted.

Huisj
06-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Getz and Nix offer something that Josh does not, the ability to run the bases well, when you are a power hitter that plays poor defense, and you're not hitting much, you are going to be on top of the list to get replaced.

Fair enough. The problem is that it's tough to use your skill on the bases much when you put up a .204/.269/.255 line like what Getz has done since May 1. Nix has a little more power, but he's been no better at getting on base.

oeo
06-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Huh? Who runs? Sorry I don't live my life in front of a computer screen.

You were reading the the thread, and then disappeared. Regardless, you made a ridiculous accusation have nothing to back it up.

Everything is wrong with what he said. He is a horrible baseball player and he shouldn't be calling out management to the media while he is costing the team ballgames.

I question whether you read what he had to say. He didn't call anyone out. He said he had some questions for Kenny, and he would like to sit down with him. He has a right to know what's going on.

What exactly has he done to keep his job at 3B? A sub .650 OPS with horrible defense?

His numbers were headed back upwards. I don't get moving our top prospect to a position he's not comfortable with.

Getting sent down for Joe Crede isn't a raw deal, it's just reality.

Sure it is. He did okay in his rookie year and had management behind him. He was supposed to start at third base in 2008, but it didn't happen; instead he was sent back to AAA. Remember, they were trying to get rid of Crede, but could not. Why would they be dealing Crede if they didn't let Fields know he was the future at third base?

Brian26
06-08-2009, 08:15 PM
He was supposed to start at third base in 2008, but it didn't happen; instead he was sent back to AAA.

Josh Fields lost the job in Spring Training 2008. Simple as that.

ajismyhero
06-08-2009, 08:18 PM
I concur with OEO, everyone seems to be all over Josh - last season and this season and happens to forget that he showed signs of brilliance at the plate in 2007 when Crede went down. He certainly hasn't been any worse than Nix or Getz at the plate and no worse than Alexei in the field. Yeah, Josh could tighten up his defense a little and it would be nice to see some more power, but to put him in the same category as DeWayne Wise just means you haven't watched enough baseball this season.

Konerko05
06-08-2009, 08:27 PM
You were reading the the thread, and then disappeared. Regardless, you made a ridiculous accusation have nothing to back it up.

I walked away from the computer with the thread open. I came back and out of habit refreshed the board by clicking "White Sox Interactive Forums." I don't even know why I'm explaining this to you.

I question whether you read what he had to say. He didn't call anyone out. He said he had some questions for Kenny, and he would like to sit down with him. He has a right to know what's going on.

I read the article, and he is clearly calling out management to the media. If he has questions for Williams, ask Williams. He shouldn't be crying to the media about losing his job. He has been playing awful on offense and defense. It's not like he's been doing anything worthwhile on the baseball field.

His numbers were headed back upwards. I don't get moving our top prospect to a position he's not comfortable with.

He hit a small hot streak, but it seems the Sox had already made up their minds that he is not going to cut as their everyday 3B. Was Fields raising his AVG to .244 supposed to change their minds?

Sure it is. He did okay in his rookie year and had management behind him. He was supposed to start at third base in 2008, but it didn't happen; instead he was sent back to AAA. Remember, they were trying to get rid of Crede, but could not. Why would they be dealing Crede if they didn't let Fields know he was the future at third base?

They let him know he was the "future at third base"? I highly doubt that. Don't have you to produce at the major league level before being annointed the future at third base? Maybe they just knew Crede's health was a question mark and wanted a little more clarity at the position.

I guess it's unfortunate for him he had to spend an extra year in the minors, but maybe it should have taught him how important defense is at the major league level.

Jim Shorts
06-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Josh Fields has not earned the right to question management.

Josh Fields has 60 SO's on the year.

Josh Fields is hitting below .250.

Josh Fields is making errors at an alarming rate.

Josh Fields has three homeruns this year.

Josh Fields needs to look in the mirror.

Whitesoxfan23
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Josh, you want the truth? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH. :tongue:

canOcorn
06-08-2009, 09:00 PM
What we should be looking at is how Fields mentions that everything is 'awkward' for the entire team. That's not good. Kenny should be questioned, as it appears the team is starting to do it.

Ozzie makes the "****ing lineup". Fields is questioning Kenny, but most of the team seems to be ignoring Ozzie. :shrug:

I concur with OEO, everyone seems to be all over Josh - last season and this season and happens to forget that he showed signs of brilliance at the plate in 2007 when Crede went down. He certainly hasn't been any worse than Nix or Getz at the plate and no worse than Alexei in the field. Yeah, Josh could tighten up his defense a little and it would be nice to see some more power, but to put him in the same category as DeWayne Wise just means you haven't watched enough baseball this season.

"Brilliance"? He still K'd at an alarming rate and was completely ****ing brutal in the field. He's still completely ****ing brutal in the field, K's at an alarming rate and doesn't hit for power anymore. He's better than Wise, but so are a decent number of fans in attendance.

CaptUSN
06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
He does not rate answers.... He has not done enough to warrant taking the time to even tell him not to let the door hit on the way out....:angry:

SoxandtheCityTee
06-08-2009, 09:10 PM
He says this stuff and then the day it's published he costs the club a game with his glove. "Awkward" indeed. **** and try to play better. Joshie.

GlassSox
06-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Field's needs to go away.

LoveYourSuit
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't see what's wrong with what he said. Like he said, he got his average up, and then he got demoted. :scratch: He's gotten a pretty raw deal since after his rookie year. He has a right to know what's up.

The only raw deal Fields has gotten is the Sox not finding him a permanent residence in a suburb of Charlotte.

ode to veeck
06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
now he's losing his job this year to Beckham, who has zero experience at 3B.

the problem is Beckham with zero experience at 3B is a better fielder there than Fields

JB98
06-08-2009, 09:37 PM
Fields has still started four of the six games since Beckham got called up. He's lucky he's getting this much playing time.

Jim Shorts
06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Fields has still started four of the six games since Beckham got called up. He's lucky he's getting this much playing time.

Ding ding ding.

We have a winner.

ode to veeck
06-08-2009, 09:44 PM

Actually that makes his situation worse, he had AN EXTRA YEAR to learn the position, and obviously it still a great liability there with the leather. Compare that to Crede who really took the time in the minors to learn the 3B position well. He was making as many as three amazing putouts an inning from the first game he game up (in Oakland, I happened to be about 4 rows up from him at his 1st start). On the other hand Fields has shown no consistent ability to play 3B, period.

gr8mexico
06-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I wonder if the Sox can trade Josh Fields to the Phillies for John Mayberry JR. The Phillies have to many OF especially after they signed Raul Ibanez.

JB98
06-08-2009, 10:20 PM
You have to wonder whether Fields is going to get his answer in the form of a trade or a demotion.

Since KW was seen storming out of the clubhouse after Game 1, maybe he was on his way back to his office to find a taker for Fields. :D:

I've been on the "Let's see what we have in Fields bandwagon" this year, but the comments in the paper followed by an amateurish error that helped cost the Sox a ballgame don't sit real well with me.

DSpivack
06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I wonder if the Sox can trade Josh Fields to the Phillies for John Mayberry JR. The Phillies have to many OF especially after they signed Raul Ibanez.

I don't see why either team does that. Mayberry can only play the corners, no? And Pedro Feliz is better both defensively and offensively than Fields.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 10:24 PM
The thing I don't like most about Fields is that, I think he can both hit and field, but his effort isn't there. He swings at air way too much and doesn't seem to like to get his uniform dirty. That just shows that he doesn't really care.

BadBobbyJenks
06-08-2009, 10:37 PM
In a related story, Ozzie Guillen wants answers from Fields about the Present

Lip Man 1
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Chris Rongey was right...he should have been traded last off season like Boone Logan.

I think reading Cowley's story the only thing that bothers me is Josh's comments about Gordon Beckham and the inference that it was somehow 'unfair' of the Sox to bring him up and start giving him chances at 3rd base.A real professional doesn't worry about things like that, he basically takes that as a challenge and goes out to kick everybody's rear end to make sure the job remains his. If Josh thinks it's 'unfair' all he has to do is start producing.

If he doesn't he has no one to blame but himself.

Lip

TheOldRoman
06-08-2009, 11:38 PM
When are you going to shorten your swing and start making more contact, Josh?That is very hard for a player to do. It would be nice if the Sox had some kind of person to, uh... you know... coach, uh... the hitting.

What's that? Oh, Greg Walker just threw Nick Swisher under the bus again.

doublem23
06-08-2009, 11:44 PM
What's that? Oh, Greg Walker just threw Nick Swisher under the bus again.

One day, someone will have to explain to me this Nick Swisher Martyr syndrome; as if Swisher somehow earned the right to pout about getting benched for hitting a robust .230.

TheOldRoman
06-08-2009, 11:53 PM
One day, someone will have to explain to me this Nick Swisher Martyr syndrome; as if Swisher somehow earned the right to pout about getting benched for hitting a robust .230.I wanted Swisher gone after last season, also. I was sick of his crap. And while I will never come onto the board screaming about every RBI Swisher hits, I think that last year will end up being a real outlier in his career. I guess that is what happens when you take a "swing from the shoetops" hitter and combine him with a coach who only knows to tell people to "swing from the shoetops." Maybe Walker's problem was that Swisher takes walks. As Walker said early last year, we were slumping because we were taking too many walks (yes, he said that).

Regardless, the way Walker handled the situation and the fact that he had to go whine to the press that Swisher wasn't listening to him, rubbed me the wrong way. I would bet that in the rest of Swisher's Walker-free career, he won't come close to last year's numbers. But he probably didn't hit in Chicago because "the weather didn't heat up yet".

Frankfan4life
06-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Chris Rongey was right...he should have been traded last off season like Boone Logan.

I think reading Cowley's story the only thing that bothers me is Josh's comments about Gordon Beckham and the inference that it was somehow 'unfair' of the Sox to bring him up and start giving him chances at 3rd base.A real professional doesn't worry about things like that, he basically takes that as a challenge and goes out to kick everybody's rear end to make sure the job remains his. If Josh thinks it's 'unfair' all he has to do is start producing.

If he doesn't he has no one to blame but himself.

LipVery good point. Field's attitude shows a lack of character or confidence, especially in light of Contreras' recent demotion to the minors and his inspiring comeback yesterday.

Carolina Kenny
06-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Josh Fields has not earned the right to question management.

Josh Fields has 60 SO's on the year.

Josh Fields is hitting below .250.

Josh Fields is making errors at an alarming rate.

Josh Fields has three homeruns this year.

Josh Fields needs to look in the mirror.

Your post is short and sweet. Unlike Josh's swing.

Josh has always suffered from a over inflated ego. I guess he doesn't understand how a critical error late in the ballgame, in a super important game with the division leader, on a routine grounder, could make his manager upset? He has always been a outsider in the clubhouse (reference his comments about the clubhouse culture a couple of years ago.)

I want him traded to Colorado, where he can be happy in that clubhouse that has the values and demeanor that Josh feels is important to Him.
Goodbye Josh, you can take your act to another team.

Sad
06-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Fields sucks, the faster we can get rid of him the better the Sox will be (doubly so if he takes Wise with him).

10-4 on all of that

Red Barchetta
06-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Robin Ventura was (and still is) my favorite modern era 3rd baseman for the SOX. I was slow to accept Crede as a result, however over time, he won me over with his heart, willingness to get dirty and his clutch hitting. At the end, I was very sorry to see him go, although I do acknowledge it was the right time.

Fields IMO is still thinking it's 2007. He feels the organization owes him something for having 3/4 of a good season and for graciously accepting a demotion to the minor league when Crede proved healthy again to play.

In hindsight, we should have traded him instead of demoting him when his trade value was the highest. However, I'm sure KW and the rest of the SOX brass have a better understanding of Field's mental approach than anyone else, that's why his name continues to pop up in trade discussions. Who knows what kind of attitude he has carried since the demotion. Add the fact that he got injured, he probably thinks he would be starting full time on any other team besides the SOX.

After yesterday's performance, I think we're going to see some fireworks from management.

beasly213
06-09-2009, 08:38 AM
The White Sox tried to trade Josh Fields for Miguel Cabrera a few years ago. Proving once again that NO ONE is untouchable in KW's Eyes.

twsoxfan5
06-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I was a huge Fields supporter at the beginning of the year. My sister loved Crede and I kept telling her that he was gone and that Fields was our third baseman now. Well Fields has played like crap, not only at the plate but more importantly in the field. He has no right to question anyone but himself. It is obvious that Ozzie was still trying to get this guy at bats by letting him DH. Josh you have NO future with the White Sox.

Law11
06-09-2009, 08:48 AM
espn 1000 had a stat on him. He's had 600 and some odd ABS and has struck out 35% of those ab's. Thats fine of you are teeing off 30+ homers in that mix but 3 at this stage of the season will see you on the bench, son.

cards press box
06-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I was at the doubleheader yesterday. Fields' performance offensively and defensively in Game #1 was just awful.

It is difficult to imagine how Fields' comments about playing time could have been more poorly timed.

Heffalump
06-09-2009, 08:58 AM
Wow, just wow.

Another whiny little bitch. He should just shut his mouth and actually work hard to try and EARN the roster spot and playing time he has been GIVEN due to his 2007 performance. The guy is a strikeout machine (which we knew) but has shown very little power and horrendous defense. Just a complete disappointment.

They should just send this guy to AAA for the rest of the year. If he performs, maybe his trade value rises a bit and we dump him in the offseason. Meanwhile, you give Beckham third base until be proves he can't handle it.

Cry baby, cry. Here's the facts Joshie: You were given the job and expected to perform. You sucked it up big time from every aspect of the game, so they took your job from you - just like any other adult that cannot do a job.

Jaffar
06-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I was in the group that thought Josh was going to be fine at third to start the season. He used to hit towering homeruns...what happened exactly since it's the only part of his game that has seemed to change?

SoxGirl4Life
06-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Actually, I'd like a few answers from Josh, myself!!

Seriously, though, shut up and play ball, dammit.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 09:15 AM
I seriously doubt this interview was given between games of the DH. Cowley mentions that Josh was playing in game one, but not what he did. I think it was given in the morning or even over the phone last night when Ozzie made out the lineup.

Yeah, I think Josh's performance just played his way out of the starting lineup except for occasional DH slots too, and I agree with that concept, but I don't think the kid had a horrible first game and then went running to the press. It's actually not a bad article. Josh mentions how the Sox have won a lot recently and he's sure they will figure out the situation even if it means trading him. He doesn't sound demanding. He's just confused. A lot of people get confused when their boss hires a second guy to do their job...

Heffalump
06-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I seriously doubt this interview was given between games of the DH. Cowley mentions that Josh was playing in game one, but not what he did. I think it was given in the morning or even over the phone last night when Ozzie made out the lineup.

Yeah, I think Josh's performance just played his way out of the starting lineup except for occasional DH slots too, and I agree with that concept, but I don't think the kid had a horrible first game and then went running to the press. It's actually not a bad article. Josh mentions how the Sox have won a lot recently and he's sure they will figure out the situation even if it means trading him. He doesn't sound demanding. He's just confused. A lot of people get confused when their boss hires a second guy to do their job...

Maybe it was taken the wrong way and maybe he is just confused and trying to express said confusion. However, if you are a professional (in any profession) you don't go blabbing about it to reporters, coworkers, etc. until after you get all the facts from management. I was a big fan of Josh, but I think he has handled this like a big selfish child.

voodoochile
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Maybe it was taken the wrong way and maybe he is just confused and trying to express said confusion. However, if you are a professional (in any profession) you don't go blabbing about it to reporters, coworkers, etc. until after you get all the facts from management. I was a big fan of Josh, but I think he has handled this like a big selfish child.

Knowing Cowley, he asked Fields what he thought about the Beckham call-up and how it would affect his playing time. The man lives for controversy...

Jenks4Prez
06-09-2009, 09:27 AM
I have no tolerance for little babies like this on my team.....especially when they can't hit or field.

Send this guy packing Kenny!

wilburaga
06-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Bottom line is that whenever Fields has been the regular third baseman the Sox have been a losing ballclub.

W

cards press box
06-09-2009, 11:31 AM

Yeah, I think Josh's performance just played his way out of the starting lineup except for occasional DH slots too, and I agree with that concept, but I don't think the kid had a horrible first game and then went running to the press.

I'm sure you're right. I'm only saying that the timing was unfortunate and probably could not have been worse.

LoveYourSuit
06-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Wasn't Fields the same guy that was considering retiring a few years ago?

The guy has a weak heart, go away.

skobabe8
06-09-2009, 01:01 PM
It was pretty obvious last year when Fields couldn't take the spot from ****ing Uribe.

ode to veeck
06-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Knowing Cowley, he asked Fields what he thought about the Beckham call-up and how it would affect his playing time. The man lives for controversy...

I would expect the tone of the interview could have been completely different from Cowley's article too. I like the fact Cowley roots for the Sox, but that's about all I have ever had in common with him or his style.

Risk
06-09-2009, 01:39 PM
A few things:

1) Fields has at times looked decent, but more often times has stunk, so he would be better served to shut up and take advantage of the playing time he gets (ok, you've raised your batting average .030 points, here's a cookie and you're still hitting only .244);

2) I still think that Fields may turn into a decent player (I can remember lamenting about Crede until 2005, and even shaking my head at Ventura when I was just a "know it all" teenager);

3) From what I read, other than wanting to know where he stands with the organization and saying it right before having a crap game, I didn't read anything in there that was really inflammatory (but see point no. 1); and

4) Cowley's a jag and a bomb-thrower who likes to stir up crap.

Just my $0.02 (or $0.04).

Risk

UChicagoHP
06-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Sadly, I agree. Fields isn't anything special, never will be. If he taps his potential, he can stick around as a power bat off the bench, but his shortcomings make this unlikely as well.

gobears1987
06-09-2009, 02:15 PM
I have no depth perception and can field a ball better than him. I can deal with Beckham not hitting because he can at least field the position.

4 points
06-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I say, trade him straight up for "Strawberry".:bandance:

balke
06-09-2009, 04:46 PM
My two cents:

I think of two things.

a) Kenny normally hates this crap. Who is a young struggling player to call out his GM and tell him how the team feels about his situation in the papers? And where is this attitude that you deserve to be coddled because your batting average went up for 2 weeks?

Josh, the main problem is that your defense is not there. And the bigger problem is Betemit is WORTHLESS. So, when you suck there is NO insurance. Beckham being up is YOUR BACK UP. You are inconsistant with your bat and you look soft at 3B with poor instincts.

b) At least he has confidence about his situation. I'd rather see a player with some self esteem, than see him hang his head or mope. Jon Garland had this kind of confidence, and he was able to straighten himself out because of it. People called him "Smug", but he at least believed in himself. Guys like Macdougal Rauch and countless failed minor leaguers who have been called up in the past 7 years generally fail as soon as they get down on themselves.

Overall, you made your point, now shut up and hit. Everyone wants to see you succeed and you are failing.

Frankie5Angels
06-09-2009, 06:50 PM
As far as Josh Fields wanting some more answers from the organization about his future?

Mod Edit: Don't copy & paste entire paragraphs from other sources. Please provide a link to the quotes.

There is your answers Fields.

GlassSox
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I say, trade him straight up for "Strawberry".:bandance:

Or a "raspberry" or whatever else we can get for him. :tongue:

jongarlandlover
06-09-2009, 09:37 PM
b) At least he has confidence about his situation. I'd rather see a player with some self esteem, than see him hang his head or mope. Jon Garland had this kind of confidence, and he was able to straighten himself out because of it. People called him "Smug", but he at least believed in himself. Guys like Macdougal Rauch and countless failed minor leaguers who have been called up in the past 7 years generally fail as soon as they get down on themselves.

This made me rather happy. Oh, how I miss Jon Garland...

Anyway, back on topic, while I understand why Fields wants answers (I know I would if I was in his place), he needs to realize that his performance has been awful lately. And I agree with everyone else, either he sucks it up and starts hitting better or he should be traded.

RowanDye
06-10-2009, 09:58 AM
This made me rather happy. Oh, how I miss Jon Garland...

Anyway, back on topic, while I understand why Fields wants answers (I know I would if I was in his place), he needs to realize that his performance has been awful lately. And I agree with everyone else, either he sucks it up and starts hitting better or he should be traded.

He sucks it up just fine.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-10-2009, 11:49 AM
As far as Josh Fields wanting some more answers from the organization about his future?

Mod Edit: Don't copy & paste entire paragraphs from other sources. Please provide a link to the quotes.

There is your answers Fields.

Here is an actual link to what Ozzie had to say about Fields. Also some good stuff there on what he frankly told Poreda.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4246779&name=friedell

gobears1987
06-10-2009, 03:05 PM
I love what Ozzie said.

akingamongstmen
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Here is an actual link to what Ozzie had to say about Fields. Also some good stuff there on what he frankly told Poreda.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4246779&name=friedell

Ozzie's Southwest Airlines comment was hysterical. To paraphrase, Ozzie told Poreda that Southwest has non-stop service to Charlotte and claimed that he checked into this personally. That's one helluva warning to throw strikes.

TomBradley72
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
If Fields could play AVERAGE defense, I would be willing to be patient that his bat would come around. He has a career .951 fielding percentage across 167 games, and after watching primarily Ventura and Crede cover 3rd base over the past 20 years or so (with one nice year from the "Milkman")..Fields resembles Greg Norton or Chris Snopek more than Robin or Joe.

At this point, Fields has been beaten out by a player who was playing college ball a year ago (Beckham) and a rookie 2nd baseman (Getz) who's hitting .239 (if Fields was solid at 3rd, Getz would be the guy benched for Beckham). He's 26 y.o....time to face reality.

TDog
06-10-2009, 03:52 PM
I have no depth perception and can field a ball better than him. I can deal with Beckham not hitting because he can at least field the position.

Strangely enough, the reason Joe Crede settled in at third base was that his depth perception wasn't good enough to play the outfield.

And Crede could field third better than Fields.

tstrike2000
06-10-2009, 04:20 PM
To paraphrase what Ozzie's answer should be to Fields, "Josh, if you no hit, you go and sitdonna."

fram40
06-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Given that Fields is now the odd man out and his opportunity to make it in Chicago is probably closed, Cowley (on the Score this morning) speculated Fields' comments were probably thought out and spoken with a purpose - to compel the Sox to trade Fields and let him get a chance in another organization. Cowley mentioned that the Sox might like Fields as a backup and Fields is not ready to settle in as a backup yet. Cowley compared the situation to BA - a fourth outfielder at best. Backup is not Fields preferred MLB career track

An interesting viewpoint given that Cowley is the one that wrote the original piece and then speculated about the purpose two days later.

I would not mind if Fields' wish is granted ASAP.

Big D
06-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Given that Fields is now the odd man out and his opportunity to make it in Chicago is probably closed, Cowley (on the Score this morning) speculated Fields' comments were probably thought out and spoken with a purpose - to compel the Sox to trade Fields and let him get a chance in another organization. Cowley mentioned that the Sox might like Fields as a backup and Fields is not ready to settle in as a backup yet. Cowley compared the situation to BA - a fourth outfielder at best. Backup is not Fields preferred MLB career track

An interesting viewpoint given that Cowley is the one that wrote the original piece and then speculated about the purpose two days later.

I would not mind if Fields' wish is granted ASAP.

I'm sure lots of teams are looking for terrible fielding third basemen who are hitting .240 with 3 home runs.

PhillipsBubba
06-10-2009, 05:18 PM
I love what Ozzie said.

Me too...

daCoach was entertaining but Ozzie is off-the-charts fun!:gulp:

southside rocks
06-10-2009, 06:05 PM
Ozzie and KW are the reason I renew my ticket package each year.

:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2009, 01:20 AM
I'm continually amazed by the attitude of rookie (or near rookie) players who have accomplished nothing, but think that they are owed "answers" from the manager and GM.

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I think Fields' short-term future is at first base. :(: Let's hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 09:35 AM
I think Fields' short-term future is at first base. :(: Let's hope he makes the most of this opportunity.

Yup...b/c of PK's injury, he gets another shot. Let's hope for his sake (and our sanity's), he makes the most of it.

I'm sure lots of teams are looking for terrible fielding third basemen who are hitting .240 with 3 home runs.

I doubt we could get much for him this year, but maybe a change in scenery would pick those hitting numbers up a little.

peelwonder
06-11-2009, 11:48 AM
It seems from everything I read about Fields(Rongey's interview, request for info from Sox) that he is one of these guys that has a higher opinion of himself than other people do.

We've all worked around someone who thought they were much better than they really are and it seems to me this might be the case.

Of course maybe I'm wrong but if I were him I'd concentrate on making alot more contact and not as many K's.

Konerko05
06-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Of course maybe I'm wrong but if I were him I'd concentrate on making alot more contact and not as many K's.

He should concentrate on being able to field routine groundballs on the smoothest playing surface in the MLB.

mantis1212
06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
I heard something recently I never had heard before- that Josh was the guy in the clubhouse complaining about the blow-up dolls two years ago, something about being very religious.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Seems like more proof of a lack of team-player attitude if true.

Regardless, like others have said hopefully he makes the most of the time at 1B. Maybe then get something in a trade when Paulie comes back...

DirtySox
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
I heard something recently I never had heard before- that Josh was the guy in the clubhouse complaining about the blow-up dolls two years ago, something about being very religious.

Does this sound familiar to anybody? Seems like more proof of a lack of team-player attitude if true.

Regardless, like others have said hopefully he makes the most of the time at 1B. Maybe then get something in a trade when Paulie comes back...

http://soxmachine.com/blogs/soxmachine/archive/2008/02/08/11836.aspx

jdm2662
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Fields wasn't even with the team during the blowup doll incident.

ajismyhero
06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Ok, so I admit, I'm biased. I like Josh Fields and have not counted him out yet. That said, I will admit that he hasn't performed to the level expected of him and for that he should be benched a bit.

However, to permanently bench him for a prospect with new proven major league skill who has never spent time at 3rd base doesn't seem like the "best way to win."

Secondly, of course Josh can ask questions of management. Just like you all would ask questions of management at your company if you felt your job might be on the line.

Thirdly, he's from the bible belt - 'nuff said. If he praying is the way he deals with the pressures of being a pro athlete i don't think we should criticize him for that.

kitekrazy
06-11-2009, 11:00 PM
He should concentrate on being able to field routine groundballs on the smoothest playing surface in the MLB.

This is where I start to point fingers at the scouting or the minor league development.

voodoochile
06-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Just an FYI, there's an article on the Sox Website that talks about a sitdown Josh had with Kenny. It's pretty informative about other things, though the person quoted is Josh who only says, he received a blunt assessment and though that's good it was also very tough.

The article talked about Josh's claim that the timing was odd and goes on to mention the problem of course was Betemit. He couldn't be trusted to backup 3B so they had to bring up Gordon and you aren't going to bring up your top prospect and not play him, so Josh naturally went to the bench regardless of whether he was on a hot streak at the time.

Carolina Kenny
06-12-2009, 03:33 PM

This and previous comments he is known to have said, stil make me believe his ultimate baseball destination is Colorado. Trade him for Adkins, Kenny.

southside rocks
06-12-2009, 04:50 PM
This and previous comments he is known to have said, stil make me believe his ultimate baseball destination is Colorado. Trade him for Adkins, Kenny.

I think the Rockies are not the same team now that they were under Clint Hurdle.

southside rocks
06-12-2009, 04:53 PM
This is where I start to point fingers at the scouting or the minor league development.

I start to wonder about how the game is being taught way before the minor-league level. This has been a topic of discussion in my office this week: are kids playing baseball today being taught any more about the game than just "how to get a hit"? Is there any emphasis placed on the nuances of the game, like advancing runners and playing good defense? Because by the time future MLB players get to the minors, they have habits that have been developed over 10+ years of playing ... and habits are hard to break.

PhillipsBubba
06-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Josh Fields looks completely overmatched at the plate. Perhaps some coach in the minor league chain can correct that horrible swing of his.:scratch:

Greg Walker hasn't gotten through to him (and I'm sure he's tried).

That may not be the answer he's looking for but it's the only one that makes sense.