PDA

View Full Version : We're shooting ourselves in the foot

HawkDJ
06-02-2002, 01:48 PM
Rarely have we been actually beaten by a team over these last 6 games. We have beaten ourselves. Probably better yet, we are killing ourselves. Bad baserunning, big errors, scoring opportunities going to waste. Getting beat by good pitching or good defense or good offense is one thing, I can get over that. But beating ourselves is another, I can't get over that.

FanOf14
06-02-2002, 02:01 PM
When a team is in as bad a funk as the Sox are, shouldn't a manager take a huge risk to shake the team up? Obviously the "let it be" method isn't working and the shake up the lineup method isn't either. When bases were loaded in the second and Klayton was coming up, why not pull him and let Valentin or someone on the bench try. I am sure he could strike out just as well as Clayton did - he didn't even get wood on the ball. It could shake them up and at worst, it makes it look Manuel is trying something to help turn this around. Maybe I am just getting desperate for some runs and wins again...

Now this bad baserunning thing is disgusting. Don't they work on that stuff in practice? They keep making the same boneheaded baserunning mistakes time after time this year. What's the deal with that?

RKMeibalane
06-02-2002, 03:14 PM
Clayton is a joke. I don't even know why Williams wanted him in the first place. I suppose one could argue that his glove helps to improve the Sox defense, but I don't buy that. No one short Ozzie Smith could make the Sox infield any better. At the plate, Clayton is a sinkhole. He comes up, and bad things start to happen. If that isn't an indicator of his ability, or lack thereof, then I don't what is. I realize that some players are better hitters than others, but this is ridiculous. Royce is a Major League Baseball player. He should be able to hit at least .225, but even that is too difficult for him. Mike Hampton hits for a higher average than Royce. I don't know why it is so difficult for him. He has been in the Major Leagues in some way, shape, or form since 1991, when he broke in with the San Francisco Giants.

Clayton has failed everywhere he's been. He was supposed to be the Giants' shortstop of the future, but he was mediocre at best, so they didn't want him back after the 1995 season. When the Cardinals got him, he was supposed to replace Ozzie Smith, arguably the best defensive shortstop of all time. Give me a break. Royce, of course, failed trying to replace a Hall-of-Famer, then the Texas Rangers took a chance on him in 1998 as they closed in on a division title. He was with them until the 2000 season, doing nothing, as usual.

When someone has not made the most of the opportunties he has had, that should tell a GM that he's not worth pursuing. Williams wanted to get Clayton for some reason, perhaps to turn around and trade him again. But there's a problem with that. Nobody else wants him on their roster. No self-respecting GM would add that thing to his ballclub.

Cheryl
06-02-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Clayton is a joke. I don't even know why Williams wanted him
...No self-respecting GM would add that thing to his ballclub.

Williams has said trading for Clayton was a mistake, and the idea was to trade Clayton to someone else immediately. But that didn't happen of course, because Clayton's stellar defense doesn't make up for his utter lack of offense.

I'm completely over this season. I'm supposed to go to the park tomorrow but I'm not going to bother. They're going to have to win a few to get me interested again.

LongDistanceFan
06-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Williams has said trading for Clayton was a mistake, and the idea was to trade Clayton to someone else immediately. But that didn't happen of course, because Clayton's stellar defense doesn't make up for his utter lack of offense.

I'm completely over this season. I'm supposed to go to the park tomorrow but I'm not going to bother. They're going to have to win a few to get me interested again. and that is th reason for the lack of attendance.......... i mean no off

people are wondering why the lack of att, well if the stupid management decide to do the right thing and get rid of some idiot, then maybe this will bring in the fans............
nardi,
clayton,
bring up crede,
trade ray,
for starters........

RKMeibalane
06-02-2002, 03:47 PM
I just spent the past few minutes ripping Royce Clayton... for being himself, and now I'm going to pick on everybody else, because I feel like there are some things that need to be said.

There is no excuse for poor baserunning. None. These guys spend a great deal of time on baserunning drills during Spring Training, going over every conceivable situation so they will know what to do. Furthermore, most players have probably been working on baserunning since high school. If they haven't figured out how to get from one base to the next by now, they never will.

Baserunning can be tricky, but it is not difficult if one pays attention what is going on around him. That includes, but is in no way limited to knowing how the defense is set up (i.e. is the infield in or back; is it at double-play depth, are the first and third baseman playing near the foul line), whether the pitcher has a good pickoff move, who is catching, what the allignment of the outfielders is, who the outfielders are (i.e. knowing that Larry Walker is in right as opposed to John Vander Wall, because Walker has a better arm).