PDA

View Full Version : Picnic in the Park?

soxfandoug
06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Hey guys,

I'm going to be in Chicago for some autograph signings the week of Picnic in the Park. I'm debating whether or not to attend. I've searched everywhere, and can't find much info about the event.

Is it worth the money to attend? Is the whole team there, or only a portion? Can you get autographs from everybody, or do you have to pick and choose? Can you generally get an autograph and a picture with each player, or is it one or the other?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Doug

salty99
06-08-2009, 09:20 AM
95% of the team is there. Last year everyone was there except Buehrle and Cabrera. They have a set time for autographs. I think it's like 1.5-2 hours and then they stop and either eat with their families or leave. Alot of the less popular guys will sign in the beginning and then leave if nobody is in their line. Thome, Quentin, and Swisher were the longest lines. You won't be able to get everyone there, but you can get most of them. They try to limit it to 1 item per person per player. They also said no pictures with the players but some were taking photos anyway.

soxfandoug
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
The three current Sox guys I need most are Buehrle, Guillen, and Thome. I thought I saw somewhere that Buehrle wasn't there in 2007 either. Does he ever attend?

If those 3 guys are there, would I likely be able to get all 3, if they were the 3 I focused on?

Thanks!

salty99
06-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Buehrle wasn't there in 2007 either. I think one year was because of a death in the family and another year because of his wife being pregnant. Yes you could get all 3. Get in line early and get Thome first, then the other two. Guillen's line was pretty empty after the first hour or so.

soxfandoug
06-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks a lot Salty. You've always been very accommodating in answering my questions, on this site as well as another. It really is appreciated!

Can you re-enter a line to get somebody a second time? And in your opinion, if you could only attend one of Soxfest and Picnic in the Park, which would you attend? Living in Florida makes it difficult to attend all of these different functions, lol.

salty99
06-08-2009, 03:15 PM
If you are going just for autographs then Picnic in the Park hands down. Yes at the end of the autograph time the guys will usually do like 3 things for you if there is no one else there. You can tell they get annoyed though if people are hounding them after this point. I think this is why Konerko and Thome and some others just leave right away. It's kind of surreal though standing in a food line and Jose Contreras and Octavio Dotel are standing right behind you. HAHA! Swisher was awesome talking with everyone/talking photos with people, etc.

soxfandoug
06-08-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, that would be surreal!

Last questions (I think). How many people usually attend? Do you take the field immediately following the end of the game?

Thanks again!

salty99
06-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Not sure how many tickets they sell. They let you on the field around 30-45 minutes after the game ends outside the park through gate 1.

soxfandoug
06-10-2009, 07:30 AM
Ah, so you exit the stadium after the game, and then re-enter?

Are there separate lines for each player during the autograph session, or is it like 3 players at a table?

Do any former players attend, like Minnie Minoso, Bill Melton, etc?

Thanks again.

salty99
06-10-2009, 09:55 AM
yes you have to leave and reenter...one line for each player.

No former players

grenda12
07-19-2009, 11:27 PM
Did anybody go?

Nelfox02
07-20-2009, 12:12 PM
yes, my wife and I went, our second year going. I think this is a wonderful event, and in contrast to how the Sox community relations people run sox fest, very well put together for the fans.

I highly recommend this event to anyone who enjoys getting autographs and having a few moments to interact with the players.

salty99
07-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I was also there. I think the entire 25 man roster was there.