PDA

View Full Version : Tim McCarver, will you please shut up? Re: Frank Thomas

AngryCollins
06-06-2009, 05:51 PM
In general, I want Tim McCarver off of my television.

But saying Frank Thomas was just a DH so he should not be in the proper Hall of Fame? All those years playing first, and he is just a DH?

Please.

ChiSoxFan81
06-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Seriously, the guy's an idiot. I came here just to discuss his asinine comments. He says Thomas will have the HOF doors shut to him because he was a DH. First of all, in the prime of his career, he played 1B. Secondly, DH is a position in the AL and has been for almost 4 decades. Then when asked for his opinion on DHs in the HOF, he says he doesn't know what it is. What? He also said the Sox are known for the solo HR. Granted, it's usually HR or nothing, but I don't know about solo HRs. Sosa was the king of meaningless solo HRs. This guy is a tool.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Other than the Frank Thomas stuff he's been fine. Calm down, it's just an opinion.

Gavin
06-06-2009, 05:56 PM
other than the frank thomas stuff he's been fine. Calm down, it's just an opinion.

qft

ChiSoxFan81
06-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Other than the Frank Thomas stuff he's been fine. Calm down, it's just an opinion.

Ha! An opinion that he hasn't even formulated!! C'mon, I've met 4 year olds that have an opinion on that.

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Which is a discussion for the game thread. The part about Frank is a legitimate discussion.

WhiteSox1989
06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
He's ridiculous. I was just laughing as he said that. How stupid.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2009, 06:04 PM
Frank Thomas belongs in the Hall of Fame.

Tim McCarver belongs in a sound-proof room so he can spend the rest of his days talking to himself.

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 06:26 PM

Tim McCarver belongs in a sound-proof room so he can spend the rest of his days talking to himself.

The most laughable thing to me was not saying that he shouldn't be in the hall because he is a DH, but that there should be a separate wing of the HOF just for DHs. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the day when the playoff broadcasting team is someone other than Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

ChiSoxFan81
06-06-2009, 06:28 PM
The most laughable thing to me was not saying that he shouldn't be in the hall because he is a DH, but that there should be a separate wing of the HOF just for DHs. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for the day when the playoff broadcasting team is someone other than Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

Yeah, maybe they can put plaques for the DHs above the urnials in the restroom.

SoxFan1979
06-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Never liked McCarver talks to much ****

Mod edit: Evading the language filters can result in a ban on posting privileges. Spell the word out and let the filters do their job.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2009, 06:48 PM

You're going to have to wait until the playoffs are off of Fox.

kevingrt
06-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Never liked McCarver talks to much ****

And 99% of it does not make sense.

JB98
06-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I guess pitchers shouldn't be allowed in the HOF either. After all, they can't hit. They are one-dimensional. They only do one thing well.

McCarver is stuck in the 1960s.

Frater Perdurabo
06-06-2009, 07:02 PM
McCarver needs to have his head examined; he should see his proctologist.

Rohan
06-06-2009, 07:15 PM

:)

Woofer
06-06-2009, 07:47 PM
I guess pitchers shouldn't be allowed in the HOF either. After all, they can't hit. They are one-dimensional. They only do one thing well.

I like the way that you turn this around. Pitchers are one dimensional, and starters only play every 5 games.
When Thomas was at his true peak, he was a decent first baseman. His biggest problem was trying to make a throw to second base. It never went well.

russ99
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
While this is a bit of a boneheaded statement, the reality is that Frank is going to hear this a lot in regard to his HOF chances. The baseball writers elect the HOF members, and there is a bias against DH's among that group.

It may keep him off first-ballot election, but he will get in, especially since he'll be on the ballot against known cheats after the first few HOF elections. I see his entry a lot like Jim Rice, it will take a few years for the momentum to build up, since there's no denying he's HOF-worthy, especially considering his performance with the Sox.

SaltyPretzel
06-06-2009, 08:24 PM
I guess they shouldn't allow American League pitchers in the HOF since they don't hit.

ChiWavDave
06-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Did you notice after he said his ridiculous statement, the director kept cutting to Jim Thome. I assume the director wanted McStupid to comment on his hall chances as a "DH" Either McDumb**** was too ignorant to figure that out, or he knew his theory didn't hold any water so he wouldn't take the bait. Moron!

october23sp
06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
I think he still has that taste in his mouth from the 05 World Series.

ZING!

TDog
06-06-2009, 08:51 PM
While this is a bit of a boneheaded statement, the reality is that Frank is going to hear this a lot in regard to his HOF chances. The baseball writers elect the HOF members, and there is a bias against DH's among that group. ...

This is what I took away from this thread. (I didn't hear Tim McCarver say anything today and happily haven't heard his voice this year.)

Sure, it's a boneheaded thing to say. But it is the way a lot of people who select members of the Hall of Fame think. Harold Baines belongs in the Hall of Fame but he is barely hanging on the ballot instead of getting more representative support because he is remembered as a DH.

It isn't just the baseball writers. It's baseball broadcasters and former ballplayers (both of which Tim McCarver is one) and members of the Hall of Fame (which Tim McCarver is not because he couldn't hit).

Instead of whining about what an idiot Tim McCarver is, which is like whining about grass being green because being green is what you expect grass to do, consider that there may be some truth in what he is saying.

He is wrong about Frank Thomas belonging in the Hall of Fame. I'm not sure that he's so wrong about Frank Thomas being elected to the Hall of Fame. I certainly don't expect Frank Thomas to be elected in his first year of eligibility. Whether I would put him on the ballot I don't have is irrelevant.

sullythered
06-06-2009, 08:53 PM
It's a really, really, REALLY stupid opinion.

And Tim McCarver has never been fine. He's a blithering idiot, and always has been.

sullythered
06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
It would be an embarassment if the best right handed hitter of his era was not in on the first ballot. An embarassment.

MarySwiss
06-06-2009, 09:46 PM

JB, please stop with the logic. Doesn't work with guys like McCarver.

Foulke You
06-06-2009, 11:02 PM
I think he still has that taste in his mouth from the 05 World Series.

ZING!
:D: One of the greatest "insert your foot into your mouth" moments in baseball broadcasting history.

Buck- "Do you think Lidge still has the taste in his mouth of that blown save against Albert Pujols and the Cardinals?"

McCarver- "I don't think he still has that taste in his mouth"

**Crack of the Bat from Pods/Mass Hysteria at The Cell**

McCarver- "I don't believe it!"

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20051024/whigh24/1lidge.jpg

Rohan
06-06-2009, 11:16 PM
:D: One of the greatest "insert your foot into your mouth" moments in baseball broadcasting history.

Buck- "Do you think Lidge still has the taste in his mouth of that blown save against Albert Pujols and the Cardinals?"

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20051024/whigh24/1lidge.jpg

I get chills just reading it :D:

SOXPHILE
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Oh come on now. I love McCarver, especially when they were showing that album he did, and playing some track of him singing.:shakehead:

C-Dawg
06-07-2009, 01:03 AM

"How do these things happen?"

ChiSoxGirl
06-07-2009, 01:18 AM

This exchange was absolutely classic and definitely one of the best I've EVER heard. It was like Podsednik was almost listening in on their conversation with how perfectly timed that homerun was; kind of like, "Hey McCarver... watch this!" :wink:

DSpivack
06-07-2009, 01:49 AM
Oh come on now. I love McCarver, especially when they were showing that album he did, and playing some track of him singing.:shakehead:

I loathe McCarver. But the singing... wasn't as bad as I was expecting.

Soxfest
06-07-2009, 12:15 PM
FT and TM............... Steel Cage :smile:

Britt Burns
06-07-2009, 12:26 PM
By McCarver's 'logic', all of the one-dimensional slugging first basemen who were defensive liabilities should be removed from the Hall. Frank could have played first his entire career, and if there was no DH he would have.

The guy is a tool. Always has been.

getonbckthr
06-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Frank will get on with the 1st ballot. His numbers in addition to the fact he is seen as the "clean one". WHere as Bonds, Manny, Sosa, Palmeiro, Arod, Clemens are all seen as dirty Frank is seen as clean.

slavko
06-07-2009, 12:40 PM
You people have something against sour, humorless, devoid of broadcast talent and lacking in insight?

Boondock Saint
06-07-2009, 01:50 PM
I wonder if McCarver thinks Ty Cobb isn't a Hall of Famer, too. After all, he had 278 career errors. He clearly sucks at baseball.

pilotsox
06-07-2009, 06:08 PM
**** the DH controversy. Frank belongs in the Hall, and it should be on the first ballot.

1) In terms of the career ratio of games played in the field, Frank is far from the most prominent DH. He has spent 41% of his career at first base, and the rest at DH. However, the first two people I turned to for proof, Harold Baines and Edgar Martinez, spent 38% and 27% of their careers in the field, respectively. And both of these men have significant HOF movements with far less numbers and production than Frank, so I don’t think it should hinder him.

Now, even if Frank had played in the field for a greater part of his career, that wasn’t going to put him in the Hall. He was never known for his defense. It wasn’t awful, it wasn’t great; it just was. Think about other greats. Ted Williams, Mel Ott, Willie McCovey, etc. Are any of these players renowned for their defense? No. They’re all famous batsmen and that is why they are in. Frank should receive the same honor.

And it’s not like there aren’t other one-sided players in the Hall. Just think Ozzie Smith or Ray Schalk. Those guys were nothing special with the bat, at all. Schalk was a .253 career hitter for crying out loud. But they were incredible with the glove. Great defenders, average-to-poor hitters, and still enshrined. Why should it be any different for a legendary hitter who didn’t do much on defense and even avoided it for part of his career? I don’t think that’s fair at all.

2) His honesty. In an era where PEDs boosted a lot of stats and tarnished the game, Frank deserves a strong commendation for coming out in favor of drug testing throughout his entire career. While turds like Sammy Sosa flew by Frank on a bed of needles and HGH, Frank became one of the best hitters in history on his own raw talent.

3) People criticize Frank’s “down” years. Years like 1998, where he hit .265 with 29 HRs and 109 RBIs. I dare anyone to look me straight in the eye and tell me that’s crappy year. Wanna know why anyone would look down on it? Because when you spend seven years hitting .350 with 40 HRs and 130 RBIs, dropping off by 80 points, 10 bombs and 20 ribbies is a decline. But it’s only a relative thing. I’d bet my left nut that 95% of the players in the history of the game would kill to have a season like Frank did in 1998, 2003, 2007 or even 2002, all considered by the “experts” (ROFLMFAO) to be off seasons. When you slump and still do what he did, that says Hall of Fame caliber to me.

4) Just look at his stats. I don’t need to explain this part, but statistical comparisons constantly put Frank’s name up there with Williams, Foxx, Gehrig, Musial and company. He should be in the Hall by statistical acquaintance, if nothing more.

So **** McCarver, **** the DH dilemma and **** the Hall if they don’t put him in on the first try. In my admittedly short life, I’ve never seen a player this deserving of enshrinement.

PS- this is my second version of this post. The first, which I liked a lot more, was unfortunately lost, but I think this still gets my point across.

Dolanski
06-07-2009, 10:25 PM
My ninth circle of hell:

Forced to watch Cubs games broadcast by Tim McCarver and Joe Morgan.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-07-2009, 11:04 PM
The fact that Tim McCarver once complimented a fan holding a "John 3:16" banner for knowing Tommy John's career ERA pretty much tells you everything you need to know...

doublem23
06-08-2009, 12:52 AM

Well done.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=13&id=3799

itsjustinf
06-08-2009, 08:50 AM
http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com/

asindc
06-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Frank will get on with the 1st ballot. His numbers in addition to the fact he is seen as the "clean one". WHere as Bonds, Manny, Sosa, Palmeiro, Arod, Clemens are all seen as dirty Frank is seen as clean.

You have to include Junior Griffey with Frank on this list. As for McCarver,
what he means is this:

"You see, since Frank Thomas played DH most of his career, he was not allowed to play a position in the field in those games. For that reason, he cannot be said to have played a full career."

eriqjaffe
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
You have to include Junior Griffey with Frank on this list. As for McCarver,
what he means is this:

"You see, since Frank Thomas played DH most of his career, he was not allowed to play a position in the field in those games. For that reason, he cannot be said to have played a full career."That's like saying, "You see, since Goose Gossage pitched from the bullpen most of his career, he was not allowed to start in those games. For that reason, he cannot be said to have played a full career."

downstairs
06-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I disagree that Thomas is not a HoF'er. He is. First ballot.

However, the argument that a DH at least needs to be scrutinized is valid. They need a lot more offensive production to overcome their zero defensive production.

But, along those lines... a DH is neither a liability nor an advantage in the field. By not playing the field, one could argue that they're BETTER than, say, a first baseman that hits at a HoF level but is a defensive liability. Right?