PDA

View Full Version : MLB/FOX Blackout discussion...

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Just realized the Sox are on Fox today. Please, can we not look as bad as we have lately.

So that means I probably can't watch it. Great. :angry:

NDSox12
06-06-2009, 03:28 PM
So that means I probably can't watch it. Great. :angry:

You are correct. We get Phillies/Dodgers in this part of the country. It seems like almost every week we get the same matchup on Fox Saturday as ESPN Sunday night. This week is no exception.

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 03:33 PM
You are correct. We get Phillies/Dodgers in this part of the country. It seems like almost every week we get the same matchup on Fox Saturday as ESPN Sunday night. This week is no exception.

It's still blacked out on MLB.tv, too, right? Ridiculous MLB blackout rules. Selig pissing off the fans, once again.

NDSox12
06-06-2009, 03:36 PM
It's still blacked out on MLB.tv, too, right? Ridiculous MLB blackout rules. Selig pissing off the fans, once again.

I assume so. I know its not on MLB Extra Innings. I guess I'll be listening to Farmer and DJ on my iPhone.

manders_01
06-06-2009, 04:06 PM

I'm right there with ya! ****ing stupid blackout rules!!! Can someone in Selig's office please call someone in Goodell's office and have them explain it (in simple terms of course)!!! :angry:

I guess I shoudn't bitch too much - I can still listen to Farmio and DJ and "watch" the game on Gameday.

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 04:14 PM
I get Twinkies/Mariners. :(:

Phillies Dodgers here on the right coast...

thomas35forever
06-06-2009, 04:17 PM
It's always entertaining to see out-of-towners complain about FOX's blackout policy.:popcorn:

Whitesoxfan23
06-06-2009, 04:19 PM
It's always entertaining to see out-of-towners complain about FOX's blackout policy.:popcorn:

Their poilicy sucks.

manders_01
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM

Why entertaining? I pay to get Sox games and come Saturday afternoon, these are the only ones I can't see. Of course I'd be a little bitter about it.

DirtySox
06-06-2009, 04:20 PM

I'm only an out of towner for Saturday Fox games apparently.

Whitesoxfan23
06-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Why entertaining? I pay to get Sox games and come Saturday afternoon, these are the only ones I can't see. Of course I'd be a little bitter about it.

Same here. I'm not sure what is so "entertaining" about it either. This is the only option that I can afford too.

soltrain21
06-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Their poilicy sucks.

They pay quite a bit of coin for it.

Gavin
06-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Same here. I'm not sure what is so "entertaining" about it either. This is the only option that I can afford too.

At least you recognize that there are options. You could watch this game on your TV if you wanted to.. it's just a matter of what you're willing to pay. I didn't realize watching the White Sox on TV was an American right.

manders_01
06-06-2009, 04:31 PM
At least you recognize that there are options. You could watch this game on your TV if you wanted to.. it's just a matter of what you're willing to pay. I didn't realize watching the White Sox on TV was an American right.

Well if you would like to pay my moving expenses, my cost of living increase and find me a new job, I'll never say another word about not get blackouted games. :rolleyes:

Gavin
06-06-2009, 04:40 PM
Well if you would like to pay my moving expenses, my cost of living increase and find me a new job, I'll never say another word about not get blackouted games. :rolleyes:

You know, there was a time when people didn't get to watch every baseball game on TV. Somehow, they managed. Griping on internet message boards just conveys a sense of entitlement that is childish.

Should I bitch because I can't afford to go to every White Sox game despite living in Chicago? Take what you can get..

Whitesoxfan23
06-06-2009, 04:46 PM
You know, there was a time when people didn't get to watch every baseball game on TV. Somehow, they managed. Griping on internet message boards just conveys a sense of entitlement that is childish.

Should I bitch because I can't afford to go to every White Sox game despite living in Chicago? Take what you can get..

What is your problem? The point is we are paying out of our hard earned paychecks, so we can watch White Sox baseball games, and we aren't able to do that on Saturday afternoon's. You are childish for picking a fight with people who expect to watch the games, considering that is what MLB tv is supposed to do. I'm not sure why you are making a big deal out of this, but back off.

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 04:47 PM

Should I bitch because I can't afford to go to every White Sox game despite living in Chicago? Take what you can ge t..

It's not really about that. It's about paying for a service to watch every game during the year, and MLB having bull****, nonsense rules that prevent that.

Gavin
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
What is your problem? The point is we are paying out of our hard earned paychecks, so we can watch White Sox baseball games, and we aren't able to do that on Saturday afternoon's. You are childish for picking a fight with people who expect to watch the games, considering that is what MLB tv is supposed to do. I'm not sure why you are making a big deal out of this, but back off. It's not really about that. It's about paying for a service to watch every game during the year, and MLB having bull****, nonsense rules that prevent that.

Well, I mean, it's stated in the terms of agreement--explicitly so for Saturday day and Sunday night games--all before you hand them your credit card information. So... yeah. I lived in NC for most of my life and somehow managed to still follow the White Sox.

Rohan
06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
What is your problem? The point is we are paying out of our hard earned paychecks, so we can watch White Sox baseball games, and we aren't able to do that on Saturday afternoon's. You are childish for picking a fight with people who expect to watch the games, considering that is what MLB tv is supposed to do. I'm not sure why you are making a big deal out of this, but back off.

Well said and amen. Watch (or listen to) the baseball game.

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 04:49 PM

Can we all just let this drop? You are no better than he is when you start throwing around personal attacks (I highlighted it for you).

It's not really that important folks. You know you don't absolutely have to argue every single point that someone makes on these forums. It's possible simply to let something go...:rolleyes:

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Well, I mean, it's stated in the terms of agreement--explicitly so for Saturday day and Sunday night games--all before you hand them your credit card information. So... yeah. I lived in NC for most of my life and somehow managed to still follow the White Sox.

I'm not accusing them of breach of contract, I'm saying their rules suck and needlessly piss off fans. I don't see the point of banning fans from watching baseball games for no good reason.

Gavin
06-06-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not accusing them of breach of contract, I'm saying their rules suck and needlessly piss off fans. I don't see the point of banning fans from watching baseball games for no good reason.

Yeah, they're lame. That's another discussion. I just think it's whiny to complain about it every single time an instance comes up. I'm done.

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 04:53 PM

FOX pays good money for the exclusive rights. That is so FOX can be the only baseball people can watch in this time slot and thus they can charge more for their commercials because people who just want to watch baseball can only watch it on FOX during this 3 hour block of time.

I don't like it either, but that's why they do it and all the teams make money off that deal which is what baseball cares about. It's very understandable WHY baseball allows this to happen and again, I don't like it either, but it is what it is...

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 04:56 PM
FOX pays good money for the exclusive rights. That is so FOX can be the only baseball people can watch in this time slot and thus they can charge more for their commercials because people who just want to watch baseball can only watch it on FOX during this 3 hour block of time.

I don't like it either, but that's why they do it and all the teams make money off that deal which is what baseball cares about. It's very understandable WHY baseball allows this to happen and again, I don't like it either, but it is what it is...

But why not just have one game in that timeslot and broadcast that game nationally? There should be a way to watch the game(s) that Fox is not carrying.

I believe they actually changed the timeslot from 1 pm to 4 pm for this reason. And yet nothing has really changed.

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 05:02 PM
But why not just have one game in that timeslot and broadcast that game nationally? There should be a way to watch the game(s) that Fox is not carrying.

I believe they actually changed the timeslot from 1 pm to 4 pm for this reason. And yet nothing has really changed.

Isn't FOX broadcasting all the games that are on in this time slot at least locally? All the games that started at 4PM that is the case for. I cannot understand WHY any team would start a game between 4-7 ET on Saturdays.

The games have always mostly started at 4 though they used to start at 3:50 I think. They moved it back those 10 minutes or whatever to allow teams to start games at 1 ET and still broadcast locally.

The Sox are on FOX this week, just not nationally...

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Isn't FOX broadcasting all the games that are on in this time slot at least locally? All the games that started at 4PM that is the case for. I cannot understand WHY any team would start a game between 4-7 ET on Saturdays.

The games have always mostly started at 4 though they used to start at 3:50 I think. They moved it back those 10 minutes or whatever to allow teams to start games at 1 ET and still broadcast locally.

The Sox are on FOX this week, just not nationally...

Right, that's my point. Fox has exclusivee national broadcast rights to the 4pm timeslot. They should have one game during that timeslot and one game only, as ESPN does on Sunday nights.

Or, if they are going to have multiple games, there should be some way to watch the games that are not showing in your market. MLB.tv already blacks out locally telecast games, I don't see why they can't blackout the Fox game being shown in the local market, while having the others available.

It's Dankerific
06-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Why not allow us to purchase the game individually then? I'd pay 1.99 some saturdays to watch the game.

spongyfungy
06-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Whole mess of people yelling about local blackouts

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/5619630/MLB-on-FOX-TV-Listings

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Right, that's my point. Fox has exclusivee national broadcast rights to the 4pm timeslot. They should have one game during that timeslot and one game only, as ESPN does on Sunday nights.

Or, if they are going to have multiple games, there should be some way to watch the games that are not showing in your market. MLB.tv already blacks out locally telecast games, I don't see why they can't blackout the Fox game being shown in the local market, while having the others available.

Because again, it allows fans to not watch FOX advertising if they allow MLB to broadcast games. It's about money.

And that's the same reason MLB allows FOX to dictate the rules during this time slot because FOX pays MLB a boatload of money. You want to be mad at someone, be mad at FOX. If MLB told FOX they couldn't have rights to several games and allow them to pick the games they wanted to broadcast then I imagine FOX would offer a lot less money in their negotiations. Teams from LA, Philly, NY, Boston and Chicago all draw good ratings because they are big cities thus those teams tend to be on a lot. Why they are broadcasting the MIN/SEA game this week I have no idea, maybe it's an obligation or maybe they are trying to cover as many geographical areas as they can with 3 or so games to their rights...

Hey and Fields just homered.

:dinger:

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Why not allow us to purchase the game individually then? I'd pay 1.99 some saturdays to watch the game.

That would be up to FOX...

DSpivack
06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Because again, it allows fans to not watch FOX advertising if they allow MLB to broadcast games. It's about money.

And that's the same reason MLB allows FOX to dictate the rules during this time slot because FOX pays MLB a boatload of money. You want to be mad at someone, be mad at FOX. If MLB told FOX they couldn't have rights to several games and allow them to pick the games they wanted to broadcast then I imagine FOX would offer a lot less money in their negotiations. Teams from LA, Philly, NY, Boston and Chicago all draw good ratings because they are big cities thus those teams tend to be on a lot. Why they are broadcasting the MIN/SEA game this week I have no idea, maybe it's an obligation or maybe they are trying to cover as many geographical areas as they can with 3 or so games to their rights...

Hey and Fields just homered.

:dinger:

They could still have the ads online.

Also, it seems every offseason Selig says that they're looking into changing the blackout rules [also the sometimes ridiculous blackout markets, particularly seen out west, where Vegas is blacked out from 7 or so team broadcasts], but surprise, nothing ever really gets done.

I don't see how Fox loses any money by allowing their own out-of-market broadcasts to be watched via MLB.tv.

It's Dankerific
06-06-2009, 05:16 PM
That would be up to FOX...

I know, it seems they have been throwing away money. They have the exclusivity, use it. Doesn't do any good for them if I dont want to watch the Mariners on Fox. When I COULD be paying them to watch the Sox game. Some of the advertising is national, so they keep that. The regional advertising would be augmented by the out of town revenue.

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 05:18 PM
They could still have the ads online.

Also, it seems every offseason Selig says that they're looking into changing the blackout rules [also the sometimes ridiculous blackout markets, particularly seen out west, where Vegas is blacked out from 7 or so team broadcasts], but surprise, nothing ever really gets done.

I don't know about you, but here in Jacksonville, NC, FSS picked up Orioles' broadcasts as the home team. Of course they show like 10 Orioles' games a year when they are facing NY or Boston (I suspect this is why they picked up the games). So when the Sox are playing Baltimore, I have to use Gamecast even though Baltimore is like 7 hours away. I wrote a nasty note to FOX, but they ignored me... What ya gonna do?

We're still talking about missing less than 20 broadcasts a year and you can still use radio (I can't, but most people can).

voodoochile
06-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Okay, let's try to drop the Blackout discussion. If someone needs to really talk about it, start a thread in the TB forum and give it a go.

Floyd is absolutely smoking...

thomas35forever
06-06-2009, 05:22 PM
Okay, let's try to drop the Blackout discussion. If someone needs to really talk about it, start a thread in the TB forum and give it a go.

Floyd is absolutely smoking...
Any chance we could move all the posts about it from this thread?

It's Dankerific
06-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for moving the thread.

I think its hard for people in chicago to understand the folks that are outside of chicago being frustrated. Most of us have some sort of package allowing us to watch games. I watch a lot of games, but like everyone else, I usually have saturday free. Its a good time to watch a game, and fox knows this because they purchased the rights. Its not at all similar to not being able to attend every game, because you can catch a few innings, or the end of the game, or whatever on TV.

I'll stick by my statement that Fox is losing some revenue by not offering either a per game price or a package price for their exclusive games. it could be done with mlb. 10 extra bucks or whatever to get saturday games too.

NDSox12
06-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Here is my idea to solve this problem. Fox could elect to put at least one of their additional games on FX, like they used to do when they had both LCS games on at the same time a few years ago. That way, more fans would be able to see their teams and Fox wouldn't lose any total viewers from their network of channels. I doubt FX has "must see" programming on Saturday afternoons anyway.

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2009, 09:11 PM
MLB is just a money whore soliciting to the highest bidder. The hell with the fans, or what they want to see. As long as MLB can walk away with their pockets full, the fans will continue to suffer the consequences. Someone has to pay Buds salary.

manders_01
06-07-2009, 01:11 PM
I guess the thing that's most irritating to me is that if the game is not being broadcast in your area, there's no possible way to see it. I think as others have mentioned, FOX/MLB are missing out on profits because out-of-market fans that already pay to see their team would more than likely pay for these few additional games.

I have missed several games due to this but the one that hurts the most is missing the "AJ Gets Punched" game.

pearso66
06-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe people should be writing into Fox to stream the games on their website Saturday afternoons. They could charge a fee to get every Saturday game, and then also get the commercials on the streamed game. I would think this would be the only option.

cnw8052
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Here in my area, we're in the White Sox, Cubs, and Cardinals market areas.

I emailed the local FOX station ( KLJB FOX-18) and they said they show the teams in this order, if they are playing at the same time on Saturday: Cubs, Cardinals, then the White Sox.

Something needs to be done in areas like this where the markets are overlapped.

getonbckthr
06-07-2009, 08:17 PM
If I were FOX and MLB I would charge $2 for each out of market game on PPV. $1 going each way. If they get 100,000 buys a week it adds up to what 2.5 million dollars more a year for basically doing nothing?

DSpivack
06-07-2009, 08:36 PM
If I were FOX and MLB I would charge $2 for each out of market game on PPV. $1 going each way. If they get 100,000 buys a week it adds up to what 2.5 million dollars more a year for basically doing nothing?

It should be on MLB.tv.

getonbckthr
06-07-2009, 08:45 PM
It should be on MLB.tv.
No it shouldn't. The fine print indicates that local blackout restrictions still apply. If people were to read these things before afreeing to signing up there wouldn't be a complaint.

cws05champ
06-07-2009, 08:58 PM
I guess the thing that's most irritating to me is that if the game is not being broadcast in your area, there's no possible way to see it. I think as others have mentioned, FOX/MLB are missing out on profits because out-of-market fans that already pay to see their team would more than likely pay for these few additional games.

I have missed several games due to this but the one that hurts the most is missing the "AJ Gets Punched" game.
I just don't see with all the channels available on Cable and Satelite that they can't have additional FOX channels that broadcast these games to anyone that wanted to watch any game and still play the national commercials in each game. I'm not going to waste my Sat afternoon watching two teams I don't care about, but I would watch the Sox. They are losing me as a commercial watching customer by not having the game I want to watch.
Have they learned absolutely nothing from the most interactive media there is now, the internet?

DSpivack
06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
No it shouldn't. The fine print indicates that local blackout restrictions still apply. If people were to read these things before afreeing to signing up there wouldn't be a complaint.

I've asked this question once before without an answer. How would Fox lose money by having their own out-of-market telecasts online, through MLB.tv or through any other means? I'm not talking about the games broadcast on local Fox stations, but the broadcasts that aren't being shown in that market. MLB.tv is supposed to be fore 'live, out-of-market' games. That should cover the out-of-market Fox games.

Again, I am not referring to the contract as it is, but what it should be. Just because a rule or law exists doesn't mean it's a valid one.

I just don't see with all the channels available on Cable and Satelite that they can't have additional FOX channels that broadcast these games to anyone that wanted to watch any game and still play the national commercials in each game. I'm not going to waste my Sat afternoon watching two teams I don't care about, but I would watch the Sox. They are losing me as a commercial watching customer by not having the game I want to watch.
Have they learned absolutely nothing from the most interactive media there is now, the internet?

Exactly. Offer it through other means. I don't know that Fox has other channels they could broadcast it on, but at least over-the-air digital has one or more 'extra' channels. Either do that, offer it online either through MLB.tv or their own service, or through some other cable channel, be it FX [as they did for the playoffs] or whatever.

getonbckthr
06-07-2009, 10:02 PM
I've asked this question once before without an answer. How would Fox lose money by having their own out-of-market telecasts online, through MLB.tv or through any other means? I'm not talking about the games broadcast on local Fox stations, but the broadcasts that aren't being shown in that market. MLB.tv is supposed to be fore 'live, out-of-market' games. That should cover the out-of-market Fox games.

Again, I am not referring to the contract as it is, but what it should be. Just because a rule or law exists doesn't mean it's a valid one.

I'm sure i'm wrong but i don't think MLB.tv counts towards ratings. Maybe its a ratings thing with FOX.

DSpivack
06-07-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm sure i'm wrong but i don't think MLB.tv counts towards ratings. Maybe its a ratings thing with FOX.

I don't even see how that matters. Hard to get ratings in markets that can't see the game.

voodoochile
06-07-2009, 11:40 PM
I don't even see how that matters. Hard to get ratings in markets that can't see the game.

Well that's the point, they are hoping people will tune into the game they can see rather than watch nothing. And yes, ratings are what determine ad rates, so it matters a HUGE amount to FOX...

It's Dankerific
06-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Well that's the point, they are hoping people will tune into the game they can see rather than watch nothing. And yes, ratings are what determine ad rates, so it matters a HUGE amount to FOX...

Thats why I would like to compensate them for letting me watch the game.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on here with the blackouts, because I've always been able to watch every game going on in MLB during that time slot when I visit my boyfriend (he has the sports package). Is this only because he does not live in the United States?

It's Dankerific
06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand what's going on here with the blackouts, because I've always been able to watch every game going on in MLB during that time slot when I visit my boyfriend (he has the sports package). Is this only because he does not live in the United States?

I believe so. I think internationally, you can watch whatever game you want.

chisoxfanatic
06-08-2009, 12:48 AM
I believe so. I think internationally, you can watch whatever game you want.
Interesting. So, guys, if you don't want to deal with the blackouts, purchase a Canadian satellite system such as Expressvu. I know of at least one guy here in the Chicago area who did this just to get the Blackhawks home games when they were not televised.