PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else really starting to worry about Danks?

Whitesoxfan23
06-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I am hoping he is just going through a rough patch, like Floyd did earlier in this season. His changeup though has been terrible lately, and has obviously had some huge command issues. Do you think he's just going through a rough patch, or did he have a career year last year?

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2009, 01:29 AM
I am worried about EVERY starting pitcher whose name is not Mark Buehrle.

Whitesoxfan23
06-06-2009, 01:33 AM
I am worried about EVERY starting pitcher whose name is not Mark Buehrle.

Yeah, me too. Floyd has been really good lately though, I think. Richard is probably going to have good starts, and really bad ones, and Colon has been pretty good, but can't pitch around errors. Our offense is a huge problem too. Hell, this whole team needs some work. Except the bullpen of course. I love our bullpen.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Yeah, me too. Floyd has been really good lately though, I think. Richard is probably going to have good starts, and really bad ones, and Colon has been pretty good, but can't pitch around errors. Our offense is a huge problem too. Hell, this whole team needs some work. Except the bullpen of course. I love our bullpen.
Unfortunately, the bullpen can only be as effective as the starting pitching and hitting/defense allow it to be.

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2009, 01:39 AM
It doesn't really matter how many runs your pitching gives up if you can't score a run. :scratch:

MarkZ35
06-06-2009, 01:44 AM
My thoughts on Danks lately is that his stuff is pretty good but his command is god awful. You can have the best pitch in baseball but if you constantly throw it down the middle of the plate your going to get rocked. The count seems to have been beating him a lot also. Today with 2 walks already in the inning he goes full to Derosa with Martinez on deck and Garkos homerun was a 3-1 count.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2009, 03:15 AM
I don't think he had a career year but I think he's certainly hit a rough spot and has some issues that need to be worked out. I think it's more than just a rough spot, something is wrong with his command and I don't know how to fix it.

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2009, 03:41 AM
I don't think he had a career year but I think he's certainly hit a rough spot and has some issues that need to be worked out. I think it's more than just a rough spot, something is wrong with his command and I don't know how to fix it.Fortunately, that's not your job.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Tonight Hawk mentioned that he now added a side-step in his delivery with runners on, which has caused to to miss alot more. Maybe he needs to go back to the old style?

FarWestChicago
06-06-2009, 06:51 AM
I am hoping he is just going through a rough patch, like Floyd did earlier in this season. His changeup though has been terrible lately, and has obviously had some huge command issues. Do you think he's just going through a rough patch, or did he have a career year last year?Danks should be released. It's obvious he sucks.

Can you release/fire an entire team? The Sox should be rapidly contracted. Step up, Bud!

:tool

We are blocking the movement of the Phoenix Coyotes to a country that actually loves hockey..oh ****, I'm talking about the wrong sport.

DumpJerry
06-06-2009, 07:55 AM
I don't think he had a career year but I think he's certainly hit a rough spot and has some issues that need to be worked out. I think it's more than just a rough spot, something is wrong with his command and I don't know how to fix it.
I do, but Brooks has ignored all my emails on the subject. I can also turn Alexei into a .400 hitter, but, alas, those emails don't get answered either.

dickallen15
06-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Funny, if a hitter struggles, its usually Greg Walker's fault. Danks has struggled, no mention of Don Cooper. I have no problem with Cooper, but why is it when any hitter stinks up the joint, its on Walker, but when pitchers struggle, Cooper doesn't get a mention?

Over By There
06-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I was listening to the radio call last night. Farmer and Singleton seem to thing that Danks may be tipping pitches. Hopefully that's it, because count me as concerned about Johnny. However, as someone said, none of this matters if you don't score runs. It wasn't a great outing last night but it's not like he was shelled. Some run support and the complexion of things changes a lot.

pearso66
06-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I think Danks main problems are a lack of control, and he seems to always be pitching out of the stretch. I listened to his last start, and they were saying that he has let the first guy get on base in like 60% of his innings. He needs to get ahead in counts and put guys away. He seems to always fall behind and then either walk the guy or give him something good to hit.

I didn't see last nights game, but if it was anything like Buehrle's last start, he got squeezed. I saw Buehrle throw pitches right down the middle that were called balls. It's hard for a pitcher to succeed when they have to throw through teacups.

LITTLE NELL
06-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm worried about the whole damn team.

hi im skot
06-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Funny, if a hitter struggles, its usually Greg Walker's fault. Danks has struggled, no mention of Don Cooper. I have no problem with Cooper, but why is it when any hitter stinks up the joint, its on Walker, but when pitchers struggle, Cooper doesn't get a mention?

My guess is that since Cooper is, as far as I can tell, recognized across the league as one of baseball's best pitching coaches, he gets a bit of a pass.

Walker hasn't really done anything to garner any trust or respect across the league.

I've never been a big fan of blaming Walker for all of our offensive woes, but it's gotten to the point where something needs to happen, even if it's for the sake of being the sacrificial lamb.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm sure his pissed he didn't sign that deal with the Sox now. :rolleyes:

Britt Burns
06-06-2009, 01:10 PM
I am worried about myself. I don't know how I am going to be able to emotionally handle an entire season of getting shutout by Pavano-esque pitchers.
:o:

oeo
06-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Danks will be fine. Remember, he's only 24, and threw by far the most amount of innings he has in his career last year.

AnkleSox
06-06-2009, 01:37 PM
I think Danks is better than he has been this year, but definitely not as good as he was last year. Just a middle rotation starter, really.

Which is really disappointing.

pearso66
06-06-2009, 07:35 PM
I'm sure his pissed he didn't sign that deal with the Sox now. :rolleyes:

He's still under team control for 3 more years after this I'm pretty sure. After that's up, he'll get a lot of money anyway.

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I think Danks main problems are a lack of control, and he seems to always be pitching out of the stretch. I listened to his last start, and they were saying that he has let the first guy get on base in like 60% of his innings. He needs to get ahead in counts and put guys away. He seems to always fall behind and then either walk the guy or give him something good to hit.

I didn't see last nights game, but if it was anything like Buehrle's last start, he got squeezed. I saw Buehrle throw pitches right down the middle that were called balls. It's hard for a pitcher to succeed when they have to throw through teacups.

The reason he's always pitching from the stretch is because he's having his troubles from the wind up.

TDog
06-06-2009, 10:08 PM
It doesn't really matter how many runs your pitching gives up if you can't score a run. :scratch:

The offense would score more runs if starting pitching kept the Sox in the game longer.

Chicken Dinner
06-06-2009, 11:05 PM
The offense would score more runs if starting pitching kept the Sox in the game longer.

How is that possible? :scratch:

Foulke You
06-06-2009, 11:15 PM
There was some speculation from Hawk and then later discussed today on WSCR that Danks could possibly be tipping his change up at times. I realize his control of that pitch has been terrible but there could be something to this theory. It seemed Hafner was more than ready for the Danks changeup which was an odd pitch to sit on. It could be that the hitters have picked up on something subtle that is tipping them off.

My feeling is the same as others on this thread. Johnny's control hasn't been nearly as fine as it was last year. He has walked too many hitters and seems to spontaneously lose the feel for his pitches out of the blue which has bitten him in the ass. I have confidence that he'll turn it around much like Gavin Floyd has.

Rohan
06-07-2009, 12:24 AM
There was some speculation from Hawk and then later discussed today on WSCR that Danks could possibly be tipping his change up at times. I realize his control of that pitch has been terrible but there could be something to this theory. It seemed Hafner was more than ready for the Danks changeup which was an odd pitch to sit on. It could be that the hitters have picked up on something subtle that is tipping them off.

My feeling is the same as others on this thread. Johnny's control hasn't been nearly as fine as it was last year. He has walked too many hitters and seems to spontaneously lose the feel for his pitches out of the blue which has bitten him in the ass. I have confidence that he'll turn it around much like Gavin Floyd has.

Shouldn't tipping be a one game thing rather that a string of a few? Pitching coaches tend to figure that stuff out after a few innings.

JB98
06-07-2009, 01:14 AM

I'm pretty sure that was a hanging deuce that Hafner hit out.

The offspeed stuff has been killing Danks this year. I'd like to see him throw fewer breaking balls and focus more on locating his fastball.

jabrch
06-07-2009, 01:26 AM
I'm worried about global warming. I am not worried about John Danks.

DonnieDarko
06-07-2009, 01:46 AM
I was listening to the radio call last night. Farmer and Singleton seem to thing that Danks may be tipping pitches. Hopefully that's it, because count me as concerned about Johnny. However, as someone said, none of this matters if you don't score runs. It wasn't a great outing last night but it's not like he was shelled. Some run support and the complexion of things changes a lot.

Wait, what? Singleton's back? o_O

Big D
06-07-2009, 10:54 AM

How is that possible? :scratch:

All our starters have to do is shut the other team out for nine innings and send the game to extras. Eventually, around the 14th or 15th inning, our offense will score a run.

Shoeless
06-07-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm worried about global warming. I am not worried about John Danks.

I'm more worried about the economy than Al Gore's pocket book.

voodoochile
06-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I'm more worried about the economy than Al Gore's pocket book.

Is the rule on no politics that hard to understand?

Here, I'll make it simple for you...

NO POLITICS!

You want/need to talk politics, join us at www.wsiforums.com (http://www.wsiforums.com).

Sockinchisox
06-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty sure that was a hanging deuce that Hafner hit out.

The offspeed stuff has been killing Danks this year. I'd like to see him throw fewer breaking balls and focus more on locating his fastball.

I'd like to see him get rid of the curveball all together. It was an awful pitch for him in 07, he ditched it in 08, and brought it back this year.

Konerko05
06-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I think Danks is better than he has been this year, but definitely not as good as he was last year. Just a middle rotation starter, really.

Which is really disappointing.

So you think Danks maxed out at age 23? Most pitchers are still in the minor leagues at that age.

He's stuggling right now, but he will come around. I expect him to be a very good #2.

BadBobbyJenks
06-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Funny how Floyd was gutless for taking the contract and Danks was turning down a laughable contract for him not too long ago.

JB98
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd like to see him get rid of the curveball all together. It was an awful pitch for him in 07, he ditched it in 08, and brought it back this year.

You're right. He was mostly fastball, cutter, change last season. He gave up fewer homers than in 2007 because he ditched that inconsistent deuce of his. It seems that pitch is more trouble than it is worth.

DonnieDarko
06-07-2009, 09:08 PM
Brightside of this: if Danks continues to stink up the joint, he can be signed for less next year? >_>