PDA

View Full Version : At the 1/3 of the season point...

StillMissOzzie
06-06-2009, 12:14 AM
...this team gets a D. Rather than rant about tonight's train wreck, let's look at the season so far. At 25 - 29, this team projects to 75 - 87, which is pretty much a flip-flop of my pre-season prediction of 85-90 wins this year.

Nine shutouts - already? And 3 of the last 4 GAMES, all shutouts? I do not want to join the fire Walker bandwagon, but it is getting to the point where he will be made the sacrificial lamb, his fault or not.

If the 2009 Sox are going to win 90 games this season, then they need to win 65 of the next 108, which is about a .602 pace. Do you see that happening?

And 1 - 7 against noobs this year? That alone is an embarrassment!

I am reminded of the old poker adage: If you look around the table and can't find the sucker, than YOU are the sucker. Sadly, I am beginning to believe that the Sox might be the sucker of the 2009 ALC. C'mon, you guys, prove me wrong!

SMO
:angry::whiner::scratch:

35th and Shields
06-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Yep, really not looking good right now but just last week I was feeling really good about this team!!!

I'm not sure if this is a hot and cold team or they just got hot for a bit and now suck and will continue to suck but I'm not about to give up because I see the same with every other team in this division.

Also we're without our MVP candidate of last year who, if he can stay healthy, could do A LOT to solve this teams hitting problems. Not only does it get him in the line-up but gets Anderson and Wise out (let's admit it, they both suck and shouldn't start).

Looking at all this I still think the Sox have a good chance to win the division.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm glad I had Blackhawk hockey to look forward to the first 2 months of this season. This summer's gonna be a long one, though. When does Bears' training camp start?

JB98
06-06-2009, 12:31 AM
Unless Kenny makes a couple key acquisitions in the coming weeks, I think what you see is what you get. This looks like a 74- to 78-win team to me.

I always say that it's no longer "early" once you get to the 60-game mark. We're about a week away from that. At that point, you have a pretty good feel for what you have.

What we have is a team with a good bullpen that can't hit a lick. Their starting pitching is erratic and enigmatic. When they get a lead, they generally hold it. But they don't ever come from behind in games, and you need to steal wins at times in order to be a division champion. As a matter of fact, I think this team tends to surrender when it gets behind early in a game.

These guys are just good enough to hang around in the weakest division in baseball, but I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs without KW adding a piece or two.

MarkZ35
06-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Everytime I get that sick feeling of the way the Sox are playing right now I just look at the standings and realize that the Tigers aren't really any better because they are only up 3.5 games. So far they are giving the Sox and every other team in this division a chance. Even after how bad the Indians are I think they are only 6 games out right now. Maybe one key acquisition along with Quentin coming back and returning to last years form and we can win this divsion. So as for now I'm not giving up on this team.

Rohan
06-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I just want a division championship.. That's all i ask this year.

This team is going to be great in three years.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2009, 01:08 AM
This team is going to be great in three years.
There is no way this can be determined at this time.

LoveYourSuit
06-06-2009, 01:12 AM

you are so right.

no one has the slightest clue what this team will look like even next season, let alone 3 years.

Rohan
06-06-2009, 01:14 AM

I just trust our managerial staff. The White Sox organization is doing something they have not done in a long time.

They're developing players in their farm system that are studs. They're taking risks and actually going after high risk guys like Gordon Beckham and Aaron Poreda.

This is a strategy that, with the right coaching in place, and a little luck, will pay off. This team WILL be good in three years.

JB98
06-06-2009, 01:17 AM
I just trust our managerial staff. The White Sox organization is doing something they have not done in a long time.

They're developing players in their farm system that are studs. They're taking risks and actually going after high risk guys like Gordon Beckham and Aaron Poreda.

This is a strategy that, with the right coaching in place, and a little luck, will pay off. This team WILL be good in three years.

High risk? :scratch:

Rohan
06-06-2009, 01:20 AM
Getting a high pick and keeping it rather than trading it. Rather than settling for a mediocre young guy and trading or signing a guy who's currently a vet or a player who's already defined himself.

It's risky, it has a high payoff if successful.

JB98
06-06-2009, 01:23 AM
Getting a high pick and keeping it rather than trading it. Rather than settling for a mediocre young guy and trading or signing a guy who's currently a vet or a player who's already defined himself.

They don't trade draft picks in MLB.

I don't think Gordon Beckham is high risk at all. My sense is the Sox are bringing him to the big leagues too quickly, but he's going to be a good player. I think drafting him was a no-brainer, hardly high risk.

chisoxfanatic
06-06-2009, 01:25 AM

Quit kidding yourself. You do not have 4 or 5 minor leaguers in a major league lineup at the SAME time. You maybe bring up a couple to learn the ropes of being a major leaguer, and when they're comfortable, then you bring another guy or two up to learn the ropes. What they are doing right now is throwing a bunch of guys who do not even belong on a major league roster into a ring of fire at the same time. What a poor way to develop them. Truly, at least a couple of these guys should be getting more seasoning in AAA or AA before they even set foot on the Sodfather's field.

WhiteSox5187
06-06-2009, 03:17 AM
I think this is probably a .500 team at best and it will be a maddening season.

Dan H
06-06-2009, 07:58 AM
Quit kidding yourself. You do not have 4 or 5 minor leaguers in a major league lineup at the SAME time. You maybe bring up a couple to learn the ropes of being a major leaguer, and when they're comfortable, then you bring another guy or two up to learn the ropes. What they are doing right now is throwing a bunch of guys who do not even belong on a major league roster into a ring of fire at the same time. What a poor way to develop them. Truly, at least a couple of these guys should be getting more seasoning in AAA or AA before they even set foot on the Sodfather's field.

I agree with this. We were told that the Sox had a lot of great young talent at the start of the season. But are they really that good? Or are they up too soon? I don't understand why Beckham was called up at this point. The Sox don't sign Crede because he's had his injury problems and they wanted to give Fields a shot. Now Fields is on the bench? Is a third of a season a real shot?

KW was angry at the start of the season becasue he said fans didn't understand what he is doing. Well, just what is he doing?

DumpJerry
06-06-2009, 08:03 AM

They don't trade draft picks in MLB.
Not only do they not trade draft picks, but the teams are not allowed to trade picks. If they could, you would see the Yankmees and Blow Sawks with the tops six picks each year since they have the $$$ to buy those picks from the hapless teams who own them each year.

ndgt10
06-06-2009, 08:32 AM
This team is terrible. In fact, after the way we lost to Oakland and the Indians, I think this team is the worst in the AL.

wassagstdu
06-06-2009, 09:21 AM
Fire USCF -- and Greg Walker. Even a hitter like Getz takes one look at this park and develops an uppercut swing. And Walker can't prevent that. As Ozzie said, they look at too much video, try to anticipate too much looking for precisely the pitch they can park in the seats, rather than seeing the ball and making contact. I agree with Ozzie, but what do I know? Our hitters are the ones with their careers on the line and they are professionals. They look at the park and, perhaps correctly, decide their best shot is to aim for the seats every at bat.

JB98
06-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I agree with this. We were told that the Sox had a lot of great young talent at the start of the season. But are they really that good? Or are they up too soon? I don't understand why Beckham was called up at this point. The Sox don't sign Crede because he's had his injury problems and they wanted to give Fields a shot. Now Fields is on the bench? Is a third of a season a real shot?

KW was angry at the start of the season becasue he said fans didn't understand what he is doing. Well, just what is he doing?

I don't know what he's doing. We're not built to win, but we're not rebuilding either. We're stuck in the middle.

The only reason we're even contending is the fact that our division is awful. Thankfully, there is no power team in the AL Central this season.