PDA

View Full Version : Byrd for CF?

jkubian
06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
With all the OF's Texas has and even though Josh went down, they are still looking to trade an OF. I know they want bullpen help, so what about Dotel and Poreda.. even though I'm not sure what Byrds contract is at the moment.

getonbckthr
06-05-2009, 07:36 PM
With all the OF's Texas has and even though Josh went down, they are still looking to trade an OF. I know they want bullpen help, so what about Dotel and Poreda.. even though I'm not sure what Byrds contract is at the moment.
Not a chance in hell I would trade Poreda for Byrd. He isn't anything special. Our centerfielder is on the team its just a matter of Ozzie realizing it. Which we will find out after his finishes the flu.

oeo
Why would we trade Poreda for a 31-year-old outfielder who was mediocre, at best, before moving to Texas? Our outfield isn't a problem. In fact, when Quentin comes back, we'll have too many outfielders.

Ha.

BigP50
06-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Poreda was gonna be the main piece in the Peavy trade, why would we trade him for a semi-decent old outfielder.

we could get a way better outfielder if we wanted to throw in Poreda

getonbckthr
06-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Poreda was gonna be the main piece in the Peavy trade, why would we trade him for a semi-decent old outfielder.

we could get a way better outfielder if we wanted to throw in Poreda
If Poreda is being moved for an Outfielder his name should be Matt Holliday with the catch being when he steps into to Comiskey he hands Kenny a signed extension.

JB98
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them add a veteran outfielder, just because Quentin and Podsednik are both extremely injury-prone. We really do not have a lot of outfield depth in the organization.

However, it would be silly to trade Poreda to address that need.

BigP50
06-05-2009, 07:54 PM
If Poreda is being moved for an Outfielder his name should be Matt Holliday with the catch being when he steps into to Comiskey he hands Kenny a signed extension.

I like it.

soxfanreggie
06-06-2009, 02:16 AM
If we're going after Holliday, why give up that huge piece for a guy who's going to be a free agent anyway? I would only give up Poreda if it means getting Holliday right now and then for him to sign a 3 to 4 year extension, minimum. That extension will come at a price though. His current contract is $23 million with $9.5 in the first year and $13.5 in the second. That would mean a 3 to 4 year extension could be looking between $50-60 million. If we outlay that for him (basically Thome's $$$), we would then probably spend Dye's $$$ on a leadoff. We could find a good leadoff for $11.5 million a year, and then use Contreras' $$$ for a new starter. Thus, you could probably get a lot younger talent in here and not increase payroll.