PDA

View Full Version : Too much inexperience in the lineup?

chisoxfanatic
06-04-2009, 06:11 PM
If you look at a typical lineup, you'll see at least 3 or 4 guys who have yet to play a full major league season (Nix and Getz are still in the beginning stages, Fields has been given chances before, and Ozzie's CF lover Wise has yet to play even half of a complete ML season in his career). TCM still has only 1 year under his belt. Really, if you look at the hitters on the roster, only 5 possible guys have a wealth of experience at the major league level (Pierzynski, Konerko, Podsednik, Dye, Thome). The rest either have yet to prove themselves in a major league uniform or are just in the beginning stages of their careers.

I know everyone deserves a chance to get experience; but, do you think there is too much inexperience at the same time in this lineup?

I personally think there needs to be one more experienced bat here.

DirtySox
06-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I think it's more so that the inexperienced players are just not very good and likely won't be in the future. (Beckham aside) Nix isn't and won't be a regular. Wise shouldn't even be on a major league team. While BA has looked better this year, I don't think he will amount to a solid regular. The jury is out on Fields, but he hasn't instilled any confidence that he will be around much longer. I don't know that we need more experienced players, but we certainly need better ones.

Big D
06-04-2009, 06:28 PM
I think it's more so that the inexperienced players are just not very good and likely won't be in the future. (Beckham aside)

Yeah, it's not like Getz is considered a top prospect or anything. Maybe if he reaches his full potential he'll be an average second baseman. Wise is in his 30's, the reason he hasn't had many big league at bats is because he's not very good. Nix was released in the offseason. Fields is the only one who's been a disappointment compared to expectations (I'm not including Quentin here simply because he's been playing hurt).

Britt Burns
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM
Not experience. There's too much suck in the lineup.

RowanDye
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
I've had the feeling that the Sox are a bit of a "tweener" team for the past couple of years.

It can be a fun, rewarding experience watching young guys break into the game, but it's hard to balance that with winning.

The vets are not quite good enough to do it by themselves and getting older by the day. The rooks are not quite good enough to play (yet?).

That's a recipe for mediocrity.

russ99
06-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Don't want to say "told ya so" yet, but we'd be leading the division by a wide margin had Kenny signed a few experienced players like Hudson or Tavarez with economy-reduced salaries.

I'm still not on board with "Kids Can Play 09" but let's see what Beckham can do.

I just hope Kenny keeps up his even-year offseason spending plan next year, because if 2 more kids who the Sox can't develop into major leaguers end up replacing Dye and Thome, we'll be a very bad team.

TomBradley72
06-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Fields will never be a regular 3rd baseman in the major leagues, I doubt Getz will be either...nice player but he's utility player type guy who only plays one position, and Anderson is a 4th OF. It's already been said, we're not too young, we're just too mediocre.

BleacherBandit
06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I voted yes. For today. Wise, Fields and Nix shouldn't all be on the starting roster at the same time in my opinion. We were facing a left-hander, so I guess that may constitute giving Thome a break, but seriously, Fields at DH? It's a way to get him away from putting his mitt on, and I guess if Carlos were here, we'd be able to use him as a DH, but I didn't like seeing all of those players in today.

In my opinion, we shouldn't send down Fields just yet because we don't know if Beckham is going to do much better in the short-time.

JB98
06-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Without a doubt, there's too much inexperience in the lineup. There are only four established MLB hitters on this team: Thome, Konerko, Dye and AJ.

Quentin and Ramirez were good last year, but they have to do it again in order to join that club.

chisoxfanatic
06-04-2009, 08:46 PM
When I examined the lineup they came out of camp with, I was scratching my head wondering how Kenny and Ozzie expected to see much production at all in the hitting department. A lineup truly cannot survive with 4 or 5 "proven" hitters when you have the rest of the lineup consisting of what this team has. Add to that the expectation that even those 4 or 5 proven hitters will slump every once in a while, and that makes the necessity of having at least an extra proven bat in the lineup even more important.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 09:44 PM
Experience is nice, but our main problem is we have way to many ****ty hitters. I'll take a good rookie over an average veteran any day of the week.

thedudeabides
06-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Young players are very inconsistent, and some take a full year or two to figure it out, if they ever do. There are very few Longoria's out there. Even Pedroia struggled mightely for a couple of months before it clicked. If the Sox are planning on sticking with this plan, then they have to be patient. For all the people who have been pushing for a youth movement, you better be patient because most prospects don't work out and even the ones that do can take a while to develop.

I'm not sure Fields will ever be a major league regular, but he has made some adjustments and it's too early to tell. Getz has looked good in stretches, but has ubfortunately gotten dinged up a couple of times. The same goes for Anderson. There seems to be a lot of people who think Nix is garbage, but I don't think he has looked over matched at the plate, and he is excellent with the glove and on the bases. I guess my point is, the jury is still out on these players and might be for a while. But, that's usually how it goes with young players.

As far as Wise goes, the level of hate for him seems odd around here. He is not a good player, but without injuries he would be the 5th outfielder, at best, on this team. He is only playing because there are literally no other options for outfielders at the time, and he is coming off of a serious injury.

tsoxman
06-04-2009, 10:12 PM
I think it's more so that the inexperienced players are just not very good and likely won't be in the future. (Beckham aside) Nix isn't and won't be a regular. Wise shouldn't even be on a major league team. While BA has looked better this year, I don't think he will amount to a solid regular. The jury is out on Fields, but he hasn't instilled any confidence that he will be around much longer. I don't know that we need more experienced players, but we certainly need better ones.

Agreed...A lot of these guys were never very good or even thought to be decent prospects...When you think that this team also had Betemit, Lillibridge and Miller, I wonder what our esteemed GM was thinking of when he put this team together last winter?

JB98
06-04-2009, 10:14 PM
Young players are very inconsistent, and some take a full year or two to figure it out, if they ever do. There are very few Longoria's out there. Even Pedroia struggled mightely for a couple of months before it clicked. If the Sox are planning on sticking with this plan, then they have to be patient. For all the people who have been pushing for a youth movement, you better be patient because most prospects don't work out and even the ones that do can take a while to develop.

I'm not sure Fields will ever be a major league regular, but he has made some adjustments and it's too early to tell. Getz has looked good in stretches, but has ubfortunately gotten dinged up a couple of times. The same goes for Anderson. There seems to be a lot of people who think Nix is garbage, but I don't think he has looked over matched at the plate, and he is excellent with the glove and on the bases. I guess my point is, the jury is still out on these players and might be for a while. But, that's usually how it goes with young players.

As far as Wise goes, the level of hate for him seems odd around here. He is not a good player, but without injuries he would be the 5th outfielder, at best, on this team. He is only playing because there are literally no other options for outfielders at the time, and he is coming off of a serious injury.

Absolutely. And it's hard to win when you've got so many young guys who are trying to find their way. Chances are, a couple of these guys will pan out and a couple won't.

I think the Sox organization is sending mixed messages as far as what direction they are going. On one hand, management continues to insist that we're going for it, that we have a chance to win. But at the same time, they are trying to break in a number of young players at the big-league level.

If they somehow pull it off and win the division this way, Ozzie and his staff will deserve a huge tip of the cap, IMO. This club doesn't have anywhere near enough consistency offensively, and that's because guys like Getz, Fields, Anderson and even Ramirez are still trying to figure out what they need to do to be consistent and effective at the big-league level.

It's Dankerific
06-04-2009, 10:22 PM

Without injuries, he was the starting CF.

thedudeabides
06-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Without injuries, he was the starting CF.

I'm sorry I even brought it up.