PDA

View Full Version : Dontrelle Willis yanked in "middle" of a No-Hitter

jabrch
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
2.1 IP, 0H, 5BB, 1HBP and 5 ER - absolutely no control. In the third, he got 1 out, hit one batter, and walked 4 before Leyland had seen enough.

If he is still in the rotation, we will see him when Detroit comes to town next week.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
If he is still in the rotation, we will see him when Detroit comes to town next week.

Leyland should give him one more start.

AnkleSox
06-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Leyland should give him one more start.

He will undoubtedly shut out the White Sox offense.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2009, 04:24 PM
When does that deal expire? '10?

It's really sad what has happened to him. He was one of my favorite pitchers with the Marlins.

BleacherBandit
06-04-2009, 06:21 PM
He will undoubtedly shut out the White Sox offense.

We hadn't seen him last year and we kicked his ass the first few starts against us. Rather, he had no control then either.

Huisj
06-04-2009, 06:26 PM
2.1 IP, 0H, 5BB, 1HBP and 5 ER - absolutely no control. In the third, he got 1 out, hit one batter, and walked 4 before Leyland had seen enough.

I caught a little piece of this game on the radio in the third inning. The announcers said that he looked great and relaxed in the first two innings and had fine control and then all the sudden couldn't find his release point at all. They said it looked like every other pitch he went back and forth between overthrowing and aiming, and it just got worse and worse.

Huisj
06-04-2009, 06:30 PM
We hadn't seen him last year and we kicked his ass the first few starts against us. Rather, he had no control then either.

Kicked his ass might be overstating it a bit. In his first start against the Sox, he walked 7 guys, but in typical Sox fashion, they only got 3 runs on 1 hit out of it. His second start was a game where it had been raining and raining off and on, and he came out and slipped on the mound during the second batter he faced (he walked both of them). He left the game after that and didn't pitch again for more than a month because of a leg injury from that slip.

TheOldRoman
06-04-2009, 06:37 PM
He will undoubtedly shut out the White Sox offense.Yep. I think we will load the bases with no outs in each of the first three innings, getting 1 run total. Then, he will "lock in" and retire the next 12 Sox in a row on just 30 pitches.

BleacherBandit
06-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Kicked his ass might be overstating it a bit. In his first start against the Sox, he walked 7 guys, but in typical Sox fashion, they only got 3 runs on 1 hit out of it. His second start was a game where it had been raining and raining off and on, and he came out and slipped on the mound during the second batter he faced (he walked both of them). He left the game after that and didn't pitch again for more than a month because of a leg injury from that slip.

Yeah, that might be true. But it's still a truth that he sucked last year and we won both of the games he started (I think).

Fenway
06-04-2009, 07:15 PM
it was brutal to watch

Shaughnessy: Willis was hard to watch (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2009/06/05/its_hard_to_watch)

Huisj
06-04-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah, that might be true. But it's still a truth that he sucked last year and we won both of the games he started (I think).

Detroit won the one where he left in the first. The immortal Aquilino Lopez and our formerly beloved Jason Grilli shut us down as the Tiger bullpen allowed just 4 hits and 1 run in 9 innings.

ChiSoxFan81
06-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Didn't he have a game similar to this last year vs. the Sox? He was into like the 5th inning with no hits but walked like 8 guys? Am I misremembering? Then we finally killed him?

InKennyWeTrust
06-04-2009, 11:15 PM
Didn't he have a game similar to this last year vs. the Sox? He was into like the 5th inning with no hits but walked like 8 guys? Am I misremembering? Then we finally killed him?
Untill I read this, I thought it was a bump of a thread for last year. But then, why would it be in Talking Baseball?

Become a slugging outfielder.