PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Well that was deflating 6/4 Postgame Thread

Sockinchisox
06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
1-3 vs the As at home is not good. Time to get to work against the very banged up Tribe.

thomas35forever
06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
You know what to do.:whiteflag:

Soxman219
06-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Bad times again.

:(:

aryzner
Yet another shutout. :\

ChiSoxFan81
1-3 vs the As at home is not good. Time to get to work against the very banged up Tribe.

The Toons are calling up 3 AA starters as we speak.

Frankie5Angels
KW needs to start shipping players out of here, and while he is at it, ship Walker out of here too. There is no excuse for this horrid, pathetic offense.

LoveYourSuit
You know what to do.:whiteflag:

Stop the "doom and gloom" nonesense. :tongue:

Jenks4Prez
The Chicago White Sox are bad.

DirtySox
06-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Meh. Used to it by now.

Soxfest
Who the hell would want to pay there hard earned money to see this in person? This is beyond pathetic for a MLB team what % of there losses have been shutouts in 2009? KW needs to take some heat because there is no team close to being shutout this many times even in the NL!:angry:

chisoxfanatic
The Toons are calling up 3 AA starters as we speak.
That means we go 0-3 this weekend if they all start. :angry:

It's Time
Embarrassing would be a good word for that series. Shut out two more times against a bunch of stiffs. How has this team been shut out eight times in 1/3 of the season already?

That's a pace for 24 for the year.

Pathetic!

Frankie5Angels
28.57% of our losses have been via the shutout

WhiteSoxOnly
06-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I can smell the stink all the way out here.Kind of like the old
Stockyards back in the day.

It's Dankerific
06-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Please don't forget, a few days ago we were .500... for a day.

Whitesoxfan23
KW needs to start shipping players out of here, and while he is at it, ship Walker out of here too. There is no excuse for this horrid, pathetic offense.

I don't understand how some people can still make excuses for this offense, when we have had the same problems we have had since the 2nd half of the 2006 season. This has nothing to do with weather, bad luck, or anything else. They just have an "all or nothing" approach at the plate. Walker needs to go. No if's and's but's about it. This has gone on long enough. It isn't going to change overnight.

CubsfansareDRUNK
How many shutouts is that so far?

LoveYourSuit
Man, very sad. We took 10 steps forward in that road trip and we now took most of them back with this pathetic showing vs a very bad baseball team .... AT HOME :angry:

WhiteSoxFTW

That's very disheartening.

thomas35forever
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
This offense that was once homer-or-nothing is now just nothing.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Times shutout
2000- 3

2001- 4

2002- 7

2003- 8

2004- 8

2005- 7

2006- 6

2007- 11

2008- 11

2009-...8 in 53 games.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Man, very sad. We took 10 steps forward in that road trip and we now took most of them back with this pathetic showing vs a very bad baseball team .... AT HOME :angry:

3 = most of 10?

:scratch:

http://practicesheets.com/cat/images/PMUST1A-2.jpg

soxjim
06-04-2009, 03:31 PM
My friend called this series right on because of unknown pitchers, which have been a pain in our bottoms for a while now. My concern is being shut out 8 times all ready.:(:

Whitesoxfan23
06-04-2009, 03:32 PM
I hope (and have a feeling) that his may be the last straw for KW, and he may make a move after us being humiliated at home by the Oakland ****ing A's. I really think he's gonna make a trade. To make a statement if not for anything else.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 03:33 PM
3 = most of 10?

:scratch:

3 loses at home to a very bad team.... yes, by my math it's worth more than 3 games.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 03:35 PM
**** ozzie. I can't stand him. He was asked how GB looked, and he said he looked bad. But Wise looks so good to him. **** YOU OZZIE!!

doublem23
3 loses at home to a very bad team.... yes, by my math it's worth more than 3 games.

Thankfully, MLB standings use standard math, where 1 loss is still just 1 loss.

By your figures, shouldn't we have gotten an extra win or two for beating Zack Greinke and his sub-1.00 ERA after 10 starts, coming from behind, on the road? That should at least cancel out one of these losses, right?

soxinem1
I hope (and have a feeling) that his may be the last straw for KW, and he may make a move after us being humiliated at home by the Oakland ****ing A's. I really think he's gonna make a trade. To make a statement if not for anything else.

Seems the rumored or non-trade worked out the best. They started playing well after the nixed Peavy deal.

doublem23
**** ozzie. I can't stand him. He was asked how GB looked, and he said he looked bad. But Wise looks so good to him. **** YOU OZZIE!!

Did he actually say that or are you speaking on his behalf?

Whitesoxfan23
06-04-2009, 03:36 PM

He said Beckham looked bad his first game? Not a very confidence boost for Beckham. If Ozzie said that shame on him.

guillensdisciple

I said that we would never see .500 again after that, and I hope that we do again, because I thought they would go over not under.

ChiSoxFan81
Thankfully, MLB standings use standard math, were 1 loss is still just 1 loss.

By your figures, shouldn't we have gotten an extra win or two for beating Zack Greinke and his sub-1.00 ERA after 10 starts, coming from behind, on the road? That should at least cancel out one of these losses, right?

It doesn't matter. After all, we're never going to overcome that 8.5 game deficit with 3 teams ahead of us.

Wait, what?

johnnyg83
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM

Good memories

SoxGirl4Life
06-04-2009, 03:37 PM
:popcorn:

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Did he actually say that or are you speaking on his behalf?
He just said that on TV. Beckham looked bad, and that he isn't gonna be answering Beckham questions every day. I'm so sick of Ozzie. He criticizes this kid in his first game, but will stick up for Wise, who is absolutely terrible. I hope Ozzie gets fired or quits, because I have no faith in him teaching young kids.

kobo
06-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Shutout twice in 3 days. Against Oakland. It's mind-blowing that this team is struggling with offense at home.

Big D
06-04-2009, 03:41 PM
He just said that on TV. Beckham looked bad, and that he isn't gonna be answering Beckham questions every day. I'm so sick of Ozzie. He criticizes this kid in his first game, but will stick up for Wise, who is absolutely terrible. I hope Ozzie gets fired or quits, because I have no faith in him teaching young kids.

What the ****? It's like he's upset to have one of the top prospects in baseball on his team or something. What a dumb thing to say.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Thankfully, MLB standings use standard math, where 1 loss is still just 1 loss.

Yes, by my standards Greinke's win should have counted for 2 games.

But then again, this team sleeped walked the first 6 weeks of the season, so they have a ton of ground to make up. So "insane" wins like that one are now a requirement being that we had dug ourselves into a big hole. Losing 3 of 4 to Oakland, not good.

Whitesoxfan23
What the hell did Beckham do to Ozzie? Goodness.....

dagame2005
What the ****? It's like he's upset to have one of the top prospects in baseball on his team or something. What a dumb thing to say.

I think we can read into this and say bringing Beckham up was Kenny's call and Ozzie was likely not in favor of it.

thomas35forever
If Ozzie gets fired or quits, who do you have in mind to replace him? Cora? What am I missing here?:scratch:

seventyseven
06-04-2009, 03:43 PM

I've never jumped on the "Fire Walker" bandwagon ... until now. This offense is dysfunctional. He's the scapegoat.

Heffalump
****! ****! ****!

Just when I thought I was out (of corpseball), they pull me back in.

Seriously, another shutout? By another no-name?

I'm sorry, I don't care if he really is doing a great job, Greg Walker needs to be fired just to shake things up.

doublem23
I hope Ozzie gets fired or quits, because I have no faith in him teaching young kids.

No MLB manager should be teaching young kids, MLB players should already know what the hell they're doing.

0-3, 1 K, 0-1 w/ RISP... Beckham is a big boy, I'm sure he didn't need Ozzie to tell him he had a bad day at the plate.

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 03:44 PM

He said he played bad today, and doesn't want people talking about him like he is Maridona, because he is a regular team mate just like everyone else.

He did not say the kid was bad, he said he was bad today, and he ACTUALLY said that he will be fine. He was just angry that people were asking questions about him like he was a God. Please refrain from putting crap into peoples mouth.

It's Time
Bah. That's just Ozzie taking a shot at the fans. He said yesterday that: "White Sox fans will be happy now" after they called him up.

Perhaps Ozzie didn't want the kid up here right now?

Woofer
I don't really have anything to say. I'm pissed right now. They just flat out will not hit against unproven pitchers.
What else can you say, let's start winning tomorrow.

The Milkman
The Greg Walker Era.....................Where shutouts happen.

Frankie5Angels
If Ozzie gets fired or quits, who do you have in mind to replace him? Cora? What am I missing here?:scratch:
I would rather have Buddy Bell come up and manage the young kids once they are brought up, and they will be.

Big D
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
I think we can read into this and say bringing Beckham up was Kenny's call and Ozzie was likely not in favor of it.

That's no reason to take it out on Beckham. I'm usually an Ozzie defender, but it's pretty unprofessional to bash one of your players for no reason just because you disagreed with the decision to call him up. Christ, he's on the team now, so Ozzie better hope he plays well.

SoxGirl4Life
06-04-2009, 03:45 PM
He said he played bad today, and doesn't want people talking about him like he is Maridona, because he is a regular team mate just like everyone else.

He did not say the kid was bad, he said he was bad today, and he ACTUALLY said that he will be fine. He was just angry that people were asking questions about him like he was a God. Please refrain from putting crap into peoples mouth.

Thank you for the translation

doublem23
06-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes, by my standards Greinke's win should have counted for 2 games.

But then again, this team sleeped walked the first 6 weeks of the season, so they have a ton of ground to make up. So "insane" wins like that one are now a requirement being that we had dug ourselves into a big hole. Losing 3 of 4 to Oakland, not good.

Ok, that's fair enough. As maddeningly bad as this team can be at times, I still look over to the standings and see 3.5 GB. I know, I know, just winning the division isn't enough for some people (and to each their own), but as long as 1st place is within striking distance, I'm going to have to stay relatively optimistic, especially because, as I said in the Gamethread, I really think this team just needs to add 1-2 players to become prohibitive division favorites.

But hey, to each their own, if you disagree with me, I can't blame you. We have looked awfully bad for a distubring percentage of this season already.

Frankie5Angels
No MLB manager should be teaching young kids, MLB players should already know what the hell they're doing.

0-3, 1 K, 0-1 w/ RISP... Beckham is a big boy, I'm sure he didn't need Ozzie to tell him he had a bad day at the plate.
His manager shouldn't come out on the day he gets called up in his fioirst game and call him out like that. That's bush. You don't do that ****. Do you ever criticize anything about the Sox or Guillen?

Demps2
I'm getting sick of the "weather" excuse!!!! the A's had no problem hitting 2 HR's and scoring 7 runs. Weren't they playing in the same conditions we were? Also, is it that cold outside today? I live in the suburbs, and I have the windows open. I don't think it's 30 degrees at the Cell.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Do you ever criticize anything about the Sox or Guillen?

Yes.

You probably should go back and watch that interview, since, according to another poster, you totally missed the point of what Ozzie was saying.

thomas35forever
06-04-2009, 03:48 PM
I would rather have Buddy Bell come up and manage the young kids once they are brought up, and they will be.
IIRC, Bell already said he was done managing. Can someone confirm this?

khan
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Wow. Just wow. This team really isn't very good at baseball, unfortunately.

Woofer
06-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Bah. That's just Ozzie taking a shot at the fans. He said yesterday that: "White Sox fans will be happy now" after they called him up.

Perhaps Ozzie didn't want the kid up here right now?

Ozzie should be nice to us fans. We turned on LaRussa, Lemont and Jerry Manuel. We could turn on him at any time with this underperforming team.

Foulke You
06-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm getting sick of the "weather" excuse!!!! the A's had no problem hitting 2 HR's and scoring 7 runs. Weren't they playing in the same conditions we were? Also, is it that cold outside today? I live in the suburbs, and I have the windows open. I don't think it's 30 degrees at the Cell.
Yeah, the weather thing is getting overblown. What is mystifying about this year's club is that they have managed to hit WORSE in our home park than on the road this year which is where we usually do a lot of our damage. In the last several homestands, we have been getting outslugged in our own ballpark.

Frankie5Angels
How is any of what he said unjust? The kid played BAD in his first game, and most rookies do. No reason to fire Ozzie, and he did not blame him for the loss. I think he knows damn well who is to blame for this series.
How come he doesn't call out any of the other players? How come he is acting like he doesn't want GB here? Hell, he said it a while back if GB gets called up the Sox are in trouble. He said yesterday after he found out GB was coming up, he needed to go home and have a coule Vodka's/ He may not have anything against this kid, but he sure as hell comes across that way. I think it is obvious KW said GB was coming up, and OG didn't have a say in the matter.

areilly
His manager shouldn't come out on the day he gets called up in his fioirst game and call him out like that. That's bush. You don't do that ****. Do you ever criticize anything about the Sox or Guillen?

He didn't call him out, he was asked about it. Big difference.

For what it's worth, the same answer could apply to pretty much anyone who played for the Sox today.

guillensdisciple
Thank you for the translation

No problem.

I just hate when people slant the truth in order to spark some kind of dissenting opinion. If you are going to quote something a person states, quote all of it, not just the part that will make people piss themselves.

Wait a second, just stay positive, just stay positive hahaha.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Yes.

You probably should go back and watch that interview, since, according to another poster, you totally missed the point of what Ozzie was saying.
I don't need to watch it again. I'm spot on in what he said.

LoveYourSuit
Ok, that's fair enough. As maddeningly bad as this team can be at times, I still look over to the standings and see 3.5 GB. I know, I know, just winning the division isn't enough for some people (and to each their own), but as long as 1st place is within striking distance, I'm going to have to stay relatively optimistic, especially because, as I said in the Gamethread, I really think this team just needs to add 1-2 players to become prohibitive division favorites.

But hey, to each their own, if you disagree with me, I can't blame you. We have looked awfully bad for a distubring percentage of this season already.

I will man up and say that I'm of the crowd who will not be satisfied in playing .500 ball and winning the division. I don't believe in these kinds of miracle seasons like the Cardinals in '06 and the Twins in '87. Those outcomes are very rare. Mediocre baseball teams get swept out of the first round 90% of the time. I don't want that.

SoxGirl4Life
Do we have to start a FOGB thread in the Roadhouse already?

and don't get me wrong, i like the kid and I think he's going to be a great player.

areilly
06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
How come he doesn't call out any of the other players? How come he is acting like he doesn't want GB here? Hell, he said it a while back if GB gets called up the Sox are in trouble. He said yesterday after he found out GB was coming up, he needed to go home and have a coule Vodka's/ He may not have anything against this kid, but he sure as hell comes across that way. I think it is obvious KW said GB was coming up, and OG didn't have a say in the matter.

I'm curious why you have such an axe to grind with Guillen and why you're so obsessed with protecting Beckham, and also how you know so much about the office politics around 35th and Shields.

Frankie5Angels

Coming from a guy with the name GuillenDisciple!! LOL You aren't biased at all. LOL

LoveYourSuit
Do we have to start a FOGB thread in the Roadhouse already?

and don't get me wrong, i like the kid and I think he's going to be a great player.

I never understood what the FOGB portion would stand for?

What is this?

pilotsox
06-04-2009, 03:54 PM

What is this?

Friends of.

Britt Burns
Aaaaaaaaghhhhhhhhhhh!!!! This is the Groundhog Day season, where the same thing happens over and over again no matter what we try or who we try it against.

doublem23
I will man up and say that I'm of the crowd who will not be satisfied in playing .500 ball and winning the division. I don't believe in these kinds of miracle seasons like the Cardinals in '06 and the Twins in '87. Those outcomes are very rare. Mediocre baseball teams get swept out of the first round 90% of the time. I don't want that.

Yeah, that's fine, I certainly can't dissuade or hold that opinion against you. TBH, my preseason expectations for this team weren't all that great, so if they make the play-offs I'll be pretty impressed. I still see 2009 as a transition season for the Sox, with so much payroll coming off the books next year and a couple of maturing players in the upper levels of our minor league system, I just think this is going to be one of those "blah" years that you have to kind of endure every now and then.

But, if KW wants to go out and add some pieces to clear up this dysfunctional lineup, I'll be happier. :cool:

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 03:55 PM

Dude, everything you have said has had a fire ozzie slant to it that is completely unjust. Ozzie has said nothing but good things about this kid. He does not call out any of the other players because no one asked him about the other players. He never acted like he does not want Gordon there. Yes he said it, and LOOK WHERE WE ARE: IN FREAKING TROUBLE. I think he knows that having a rookie in the majors is not the greatest situation so he is trying to play this the right way.

No special treatment for Gordon, and he is making sure people understand that he will not be treated as a higher up on the team. I have not heard him say a single word about how he dislikes Gordon.

Again if you dislike Ozzie, that is okay, but please do it right and find legitimate reasons to dislike him.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm curious why you have such an axe to grind with Guillen and why you're so obsessed with protecting Beckham, and also how you know so much about the office politics around 35th and Shields.
I don't have an axe to grind with OG. Just pisses me off when you say a kid just called up and making his ML debut, was bad, when he never criticizes a POS like Wise or Betemit.

RowanDye
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
The silver-tealed lining: at least Beckham didn't get a chance to go 0 for 4!

Seriously though, per the story on whitesox.com Beckham didn't sleep at all last night. Ozzie was just being honest and said he didn't look good today. The truth hurts sometimes, but I'm pretty sure Beckham isn't going to cry over it.

beasly213
06-04-2009, 03:56 PM
The Sox looked real bad these past three games. The offense was actually not so hot the first game minus Thomes HR.

Getting shutout is frustrating but whatever I'm pretty much used to it by now. Firing Greg Walker isn't going to change the swing for guys like Thome, Dye, Konerko, Rameriez etc. They are power hitters and will continue to try and be power hitters.

If the Sox go ahead and spank the tribe this weekend (I think they will) no one will see boo about Greg Walker.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
I don't have an axe to grind with OG. Just pisses me off when you say a kid just called up and making his ML debut, was bad, when he never criticizes a POS like Wise or Betemit.

I bet Wilson Betemit would trade places with Beckham right now.

http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:FlYPiLhBF3u35M:http://bertram.bourdrez.org/temp/zing.jpg

RowanDye

That's not true. I don't have time to look up the quotes, but he has said that both Wise and Betemit were "bad" or "terrible" within the past week.

areilly

Okay, so let's hear about all the good things Gordon Beckham did in today's game.

Frankie5Angels, you have the floor.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Okay, so let's hear about all the good things Gordon Beckham did in today's game.

He was chewing pink bubble gum instead of dipping. A good example, you know, for the kids.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Dude, everything you have said has had a fire ozzie slant to it that is completely unjust. Ozzie has said nothing but good things about this kid. He does not call out any of the other players because no one asked him about the other players. He never acted like he does not want Gordon there. Yes he said it, and LOOK WHERE WE ARE: IN FREAKING TROUBLE. I think he knows that having a rookie in the majors is not the greatest situation so he is trying to play this the right way.

No special treatment for Gordon, and he is making sure people understand that he will not be treated as a higher up on the team. I have not heard him say a single word about how he dislikes Gordon.

Again if you dislike Ozzie, that is okay, but please do it right and find legitimate reasons to dislike him.
Im sure he isn't gonna come out and admit he doesn't like GB. Are you serious about reporters not asking him questions about other players? Do you ever listen to the post game press conference?

beasly213
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM

I think Ozzie gets annoyed that Beckham has already been crowned the savior and he has no MLB experience and barely any minor league experience.

He probably just wants to provea point to Beckham, if you want to be a big leaguer you better be ready for some big league critisisim every day until you have a proven track record.

Woofer

What is this?

My guess: Friends Of

SoxFan1979
Geez this is getting too embarrassing. 5-1 road trip now 1-3 already at home w/ 2 shutouts. :angry:

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Coming from a guy with the name GuillenDisciple!! LOL You aren't biased at all. LOL

You are attacking me with an unjust claim, I believe that is the straw-man fallacy (I took logic last semester but might have forgotten which one it is exactly). What does my user name have to do with how biased or unbiased I am? I just chose a name and used it to stay on these forums. It was unique, and yes I do like Ozzie and his character. However, that does not mean I don't see the truth when it is in front of me. If Ozzie messes up, he will get criticized from me, because I am for this team above any person on it. THAT is what makes Ozzie so special in the first place, he puts the players above the INDIVIDUAL. Again, this is kind of what he was pointing to today when talking about Beckham. Telling the media that they should not call him God is rational, and perfectly understandable. If you wish to idolize him, go right ahead, but realize that baseball is a team game.

Frankie5Angels

My point is your manager shouldn't come out and say he was bad. he could have said he got his feet under him and that he had a good approach at the plate. Not that he was bad, he struckout. Come on man, that's bush.

Big D

He managed to go a whole game without making an error! He's already our best fielding third baseman.

And sadly, that isn't in teal.

doublem23
My guess: Friends Of

Friends of, Fans of... I'm pretty sure they're interchangable.

I would hope everyone right now is a FOGB... This team could use a spark.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
I can't say that I'm surprised at the result. Our hitters just looked like an old, uninspired bunch. It's unclear what Q can do to help either, as injuries seem to bite him a lot. Getz and Anderson have been hurt too. We just don't have the depth to combat these issues.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah, that's fine, I certainly can't dissuade or hold that opinion against you. TBH, my preseason expectations for this team weren't all that great, so if they make the play-offs I'll be pretty impressed. I still see 2009 as a transition season for the Sox, with so much payroll coming off the books next year and a couple of maturing players in the upper levels of our minor league system, I just think this is going to be one of those "blah" years that you have to kind of endure every now and then.

But, if KW wants to go out and add some pieces to clear up this dysfunctional lineup, I'll be happier. :cool:

I don't see this.

The cream of the crop is down in AA and many here believe that they are still a few seasons away. AAA has Zero talent to offer the big club.

I think the Sox are going to have to get fat again here either by the deadline or be aggresive in the FA market next season.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
You are attacking me with an unjust claim, I believe that is the straw-man fallacy (I took logic last semester but might have forgotten which one it is exactly). What does my user name have to do with how biased or unbiased I am? I just chose a name and used it to stay on these forums. It was unique, and yes I do like Ozzie and his character. However, that does not mean I don't see the truth when it is in front of me. If Ozzie messes up, he will get criticized from me, because I am for this team above any person on it. THAT is what makes Ozzie so special in the first place, he puts the players above the INDIVIDUAL. Again, this is kind of what he was pointing to today when talking about Beckham. Telling the media that they should not call him God is rational, and perfectly understandable. If you wish to idolize him, go right ahead, but realize that baseball is a team game.
Idolize? This coming from a guy who again had Guillendisciple as a name? You can't make this **** up if you tried?:D:

beasly213
06-04-2009, 04:02 PM
My point is your manager shouldn't come out and say he was bad. he could have said he got his feet under him and that he had a good approach at the plate. Not that he was bad, he struckout. Come on man, that's bush.

If he wants to be an MLB player he better get used to it. This isn't college or the minors, you're expected to be the best because you are playing with the best. It isn't Ozzies job to coddle the kid and tell him "aw shucks you tried your best"

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Im sure he isn't gonna come out and admit he doesn't like GB. Are you serious about reporters not asking him questions about other players? Do you ever listen to the post game press conference?

Today they asked about the "team" hitting and Mark's pitching. Mark pitched well and made one mistake. Ozzie blamed himself for the mistake because he called for the intentional walk, and said that Mark just made one bad pitch. Ozzie speaks it how he sees it- you don't like it, don't listen.

kobo
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
How old is Beckham? I think he can handle criticism and I'm sure if asked he would say the same damn thing as Ozzie said. Bottom line is Beckham did look bad today, Ozzie was asked and he answered. Why would you expect any different from him?

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Forget the Ozziespeak or his bad call on an intentional walk -

I'm more puzzled how this team wins their last 4 series, has a strong opening game, then seems like they're comatose. It's weird.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 04:06 PM
I think Ozzie gets annoyed that Beckham has already been crowned the savior and he has no MLB experience and barely any minor league experience.

He probably just wants to provea point to Beckham, if you want to be a big leaguer you better be ready for some big league critisisim every day until you have a proven track record.

I have not heard anyone refer to him as a "savior." Unless he can lead off, play CF, and also be a starting pitching ..... he is not the missing piece. He could help jolt/spark this thing but savior is a huge stretch.

I don't know who is calling him a savior where Ozzie is so annoyed by this. And besides, how about being professional and a leader and stop antagonizing the fans and media regardless of their hopes about this kid?

areilly
06-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Do you know how postgame conferences actually work? Every beat reporter - S-T, Tribune, CSN, WGN, AP, etc. - is writing the same recap story as we speak: BECKHAM MAKES DEBUT. So how do you write that story? Not with quotes about Paul Konerko, Josh Fields, Mark Buehrle, etc. but with quotes about Beckham.

And, getting back to my original question, how did Beckham look today? You still haven't explained why Guillen's comments were incorrect or out of line, save for some nonsense about an adult and professional needing the kid-glove treatment.

LoveYourSuit
Forget the Ozziespeak or his bad call on an intentional walk -

I'm more puzzled how this team wins their last 4 series, has a strong opening game, then seems like they're comatose. It's weird.

Well, until Thome hit that HR in the 8th, it was more of the same old corpseball we saw the entire series.

I guess the bright side is that we did not get swept?

guillensdisciple
Idolize? This coming from a guy who again had Guillendisciple as a name? You can't make this **** up if you tried?:D:

I am giving you the option to idolize, or like him however much you wish. I don't know if you do, and nor do I care. It is obvious that you have some kind of thing with Ozzie, and I wish it had more legitimate backings to it.

Attacking my username does not legitimize your argument. You actually kind of sound silly. I have answered your questions and backed them with concrete and rational answers. You have given me a bunch of claims that don't have much behind them, and jabs at my user name.

This reminds me of arguing with munchman about Derrick Rose (no offense munch, you are alright with me).

I have nothing against you Frankie, and I think everyone is a little frustrated right now, but slanting arguments never does anyone any good.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 04:10 PM
How old is Beckham? I think he can handle criticism and I'm sure if asked he would say the same damn thing as Ozzie said. Bottom line is Beckham did look bad today, Ozzie was asked and he answered. Why would you expect any different from him?

So did the 24 other guys.

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 04:11 PM
So did the 24 other guys.

No one is denying that.

beasly213
06-04-2009, 04:12 PM
I have not heard anyone refer to him as a "savior." Unless he can lead off, play CF, and also be a starting pitching ..... he is not the missing piece. He could help jolt/spark this thing but savior is a huge stretch.

I don't know who is calling him a savior where Ozzie is so annoyed by this. And besides, how about being professional and a leader and stop antagonizing the fans and media regardless of their hopes about this kid?

No one has directly refered to him as that but by the way everyone is reacting to him being called up they might as well have.
I actually like GB a lot and am glad he was called up. However I can understand why Ozzie is being tough on him.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 04:13 PM
No one is denying that.

I think the approach I would have taken if I was Ozzie when asked about Gordon:

"Gordon looked bad, but so did my other 8 hitters."

areilly
06-04-2009, 04:14 PM

Yeah, otherwise he might have offended a bunch of internet baseball people . . . truly a fate worse than death.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Do you know how postgame conferences actually work? Every beat reporter - S-T, Tribune, CSN, WGN, AP, etc. - is writing the same recap story as we speak: BECKHAM MAKES DEBUT. So how do you write that story? Not with quotes about Paul Konerko, Josh Fields, Mark Buehrle, etc. but with quotes about Beckham.

And, getting back to my original question, how did Beckham look today? You still haven't explained why Guillen's comments were incorrect or out of line, save for some nonsense about an adult and professional needing the kid-glove treatment.
I answered your question. GB looked to have a good approach at the plate today. he had an 0-fer but I will cut him some slack today.

Guillen should have just said what I just said. No need to come out and say he was bad and that he struckout. It has nothing to do with kid glove treatment.

SoxGirl4Life
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Is this like "Ozzie hates BA"? that's what its starting to sound like to me

Demps2
06-04-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't see this.

The cream of the crop is down in AA and many here believe that they are still a few seasons away. AAA has Zero talent to offer the big club.

I think the Sox are going to have to get fat again here either by the deadline or be aggresive in the FA market next season.

this team is RARELY aggressive w/ big-name players in the offseason. They will have to get it done by trades in season or after the season, probably the latter. We have been bridesmaid so many times w/ top free agents it's not even funny (see CF situation in the 07-08 offseason)

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 04:19 PM
I am giving you the option to idolize, or like him however much you wish. I don't know if you do, and nor do I care. It is obvious that you have some kind of thing with Ozzie, and I wish it had more legitimate backings to it.

Attacking my username does not legitimize your argument. You actually kind of sound silly. I have answered your questions and backed them with concrete and rational answers. You have given me a bunch of claims that don't have much behind them, and jabs at my user name.

This reminds me of arguing with munchman about Derrick Rose (no offense munch, you are alright with me).

I have nothing against you Frankie, and I think everyone is a little frustrated right now, but slanting arguments never does anyone any good.
I never got into the whole Idol thing.

My whole point is Ozzie is coming across TO ME, as he has some sort of problem with this kid, and I don't like it. Key words in that sentence are TO ME.

I have nothing against you, hell, I don't even know you. I'm not slanting my arguments, I am just expressing my opinion. Whether you agree with it, really is not important to me.

Frankie5Angels
06-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Anyone who doesn't think Ozzie has issues with BA is blind, and I am not a BA fan at all. Does he hate him? Who knows, but he definitely has issues with him.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, until Thome hit that HR in the 8th, it was more of the same old corpseball we saw the entire series.

I guess the bright side is that we did not get swept?

Yeah, you're right there. Monday seems so long ago.

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 04:26 PM

To make it better, Beckham has only played one game.

Lip Man 1
06-04-2009, 04:27 PM
There is absolutely nothing 'positive' to be gained from the team's performance the past three days.

To lose three straight, at home, to one of the worst teams in baseball with a nothing pitching staff goes beyond descriptive words. That same pitching staff that has pretty much individual losing records with high ERA's.

I said this homestand would determine what Kenny Williams does the rest of the way, if nothing changes immediately, he better be ready to back up the truck, admit the off season was a disaster, use the dreaded "r" word (rebuilding) and start over the upcoming winter regardless of how badly attendance drops.

Trying to play "kids" while saying you are "contending" doesn't work very well. Either bring up all the kids and sacrifice a year or two or go out and get what you need to win in reality, not in someone's figment of imagination.

Lip

spawn
06-04-2009, 04:35 PM
There is absolutely nothing 'positive' to be gained from the team's performance the past three days.

To lose three straight, at home, to one of the worst teams in baseball with a nothing pitching staff goes beyond descriptive words. That same pitching staff that has pretty much individual losing records with high ERA's.

I said this homestand would determine what Kenny Williams does the rest of the way, if nothing changes immediately, he better be ready to back up the truck, admit the off season was a disaster, use the dreaded "r" word (rebuilding) and start over the upcoming winter regardless of how badly attendance drops.

Trying to play "kids" while saying you are "contending" doesn't work very well. Either bring up all the kids and sacrifice a year or two or go out and get what you need to win in reality, not in someone's figment of imagination.

Lip
One positive thing: The Sox losing streak seems to have brought you back to WSI. You were nowhere to be found when they were winning. So...Welcome back!

Patrick134
06-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Tigers lost their last 3 at home also, so no harm done.

DirtySox
06-04-2009, 04:38 PM

Er what? So you are only supposed to play prospects if you don't plan on contending?

chisoxfanatic
06-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Tigers lost their last 3 at home also, so no harm done.
The harm done was that we could've gained at least another game on them. That's bothersome.

Big D
06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Er what? So you are only supposed to play prospects if you don't plan on contending?

Yeah, the Rays went to the World Series last year playing a lot of young players. The problem is that our young players haven't played that well this year (too early to tell on Beckham, obviously).

spawn
06-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Seemed to work pretty well for the Rays last year. :shrug:

ShoelessJoeS
06-04-2009, 04:56 PM
The harm done was that we could've gained at least another game on them. That's bothersome.Exactly. This team against rookie pitching is bothersome.

BadBobbyJenks
06-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Well that sucked.

Searching for some positives. Well...

Well the park was empty so we sat where ever we wanted, so that was something.

AJ's new song was fun though anyone heard that before? Ehhhh Jayyyyyy

WhiteSox1989
06-04-2009, 05:02 PM
Well that sucked.

Not to be a buzz kill but, he's had the for awhile. So I guess there's only one positive.

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
The harm done was that we could've gained at least another game on them. That's bothersome.

I think too many people believe that what happened last season can happen again. So "it's OK to sleep walk."

You can't expect to win divisions by one game each year and play a 163rd game.

Every game counts and every series is huge from here forward.

Taking a series off versus the lowly Athletics, that's unacceptable. I don't care what the Tigers did at home. Besides, the Tigers lost 3 to a team which is better than them.

BadBobbyJenks
06-04-2009, 05:03 PM

Lip

What? Bringing up our best prospect means we are trying to play kids and not contend?

BadBobbyJenks
06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Not to be a buzz kill but, he's had the for awhile. So I guess there's only one positive.

Haha, first time I noticed it.

DirtySox
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah, the Rays went to the World Series last year playing a lot of young players. The problem is that our young players haven't played that well this year (too early to tell on Beckham, obviously).

Agreed.

Teams need to be able to instill some youth in the lineup to create a nice balance. You can't just decide to fill every hole with a free agent veteran. I don't have a problem with the "kids" in the lineup except Fields who isn't even a prospect anymore. This team isn't failing because of the kids, they are failing because they just aren't that good.

And for the record, the game is turning towards the kids. The Longos, F-Marts, Prices, Wieters, McCutchens, the Rays, the whole Oakland rotation. The White Sox (thankfully) have recognized the need for a strong farm system in today's game and are succesfully improving theirs. Next years team will likely have even more kids on it. Successful teams are a mixture of proven veterans and younger homegrown talent.

Dan H
06-04-2009, 05:12 PM
It is one thing to lose three in a row, it is another to get shut out twice and score two earned runs in that span. Just when we thought we could feel good about this team, they pull this crap. We have to worry there will be more offensive slumps in the future to the point they are more than just slumps. The weather was warm for this game and we are a third of the way into the season. No more excuses.

joegraz
06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Blind faith and blind enthusiasm is...er....blind. Fortunately for me, I am not. This is a mediocre team at best. We all get pumped up after Pods' return and 4 in a row (me too) then our eyes are ripped back open. I never knew there were so many Cy Young re-incarnations that could beat us in a sleep walk.

WhiteSox5187
06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
That was a pretty pathetic excuse for an effort by the Sox today.

TomBradley72
06-04-2009, 05:34 PM
From the beginning of spring training, I viewed this season as hinging on how the "kids" performed, out of Anderson, Getz and Fields, my assessment was that we needed 2 of the three to really come through.

Anderson- .263/.346 OBP, DL'd for a while, above average defense
Getz- .248/.309 OBP, average defense
Fields- .239/.302 OBP, below average defense

That's not going to get to done + Quentin's injury = mediocre team.

Overall, our veterans (Dye, PK, AJ, Thome) have done the job.

But having 3 mediocre young players in your starting line up will not bring you to the post season. Add to that the quality (or lack of) of our bench/role players like Lillibridge, Betemit and Miller....that's ~50% of your position players who pretty much suck.

TomBradley72
06-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Overall, we're 12th in runs scored, 14th in doubles, 11th in triples, 10th in HRs, 13th in total bases, 13th in walks, 7th in strike outs, 8th in stolen bases (but we lead the league in caught stealing), 11th in OBP, 12th in slugging, 12th in batting average, 10th in sac flies, 13th in sac hits, 12th in OPS....just not a well configured roster/offense.

9th in fielding pct. as well.

It's a shame, our pitching has come along pretty well...we're up to 5th in team ERA.

Big D
06-04-2009, 05:56 PM

That was what I thought at first too, but now that I actually read the quote that was pretty much what Ozzie said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-05-white-sox-as-chicago-jun05,0,1647813.story

Never mind.

russ99
06-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Overall, we're 12th in runs scored, 14th in doubles, 11th in triples, 10th in HRs, 13th in total bases, 13th in walks, 7th in strike outs, 8th in stolen bases (but we lead the league in caught stealing), 11th in OBP, 12th in slugging, 12th in batting average, 10th in sac flies, 13th in sac hits, 12th in OPS....

Then why exactly does our hitting coach still have his job? Just cause we went on a little run of good hitting for a few games doesn't change anything. The hitting overall this season has just been bad. How much longer will this farce continue?

Don't tell me what a great job he's doing with the kids, either. I don't want Walker's "little preparation, swing for the fences" mentality messing with Beckham either.

soltrain21
06-04-2009, 06:00 PM
This team is .500 at the absolute best, and I'm already sick of seeing Gordon Beckham called "kid."

Big D
06-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Overall, we're 12th in runs scored, 14th in doubles, 11th in triples, 10th in HRs, 13th in total bases, 13th in walks, 7th in strike outs, 8th in stolen bases (but we lead the league in caught stealing), 11th in OBP, 12th in slugging, 12th in batting average, 10th in sac flies, 13th in sac hits, 12th in OPS....just not a well configured roster/offense.

And we play in such a big home run hitters park that we can't get pitchers to accept trades to come here. Those are some ugly numbers.

Whitesoxfan23
06-04-2009, 06:14 PM

It's a shame, our pitching has come along pretty well...we're up to 5th in team ERA.

There can't be a positive spin on this. These are facts. We are in trouble if something isn't done. This isn't 05, this isn't last year. Each year is different. We got to get things going and fast. We barely squeaked by and won the division last year, and IMO we had a better team last year. They gotta get some sort of consistency going and fast.

ShoelessJoeS
06-04-2009, 06:18 PM

It's a shame, our pitching has come along pretty well...we're up to 5th in team ERA.Cue the Al Bundy pic...

LITTLE NELL
06-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Just sad, we play great on the road trip and come home, win a game and then fall flat on our face.
I don't know weather to cry or scream.

BleacherBandit
06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Just sad, we play great on the road trip and come home, win a game and then fall flat on our face.
I don't know weather to cry or scream.

Cry and scream. Open your windows. Can't you hear the hysteria?

Funny observation: Beckham was wearing Betemit's number. That's a fine door slam on your behind, isn't it?

JB98
06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't need to watch it again. I'm spot on in what he said.

No you're not. Your dead wrong. I believe Ozzie is actually trying to protect Beckham, to limit the amount of scrutiny and the amount of expectations surrounding him. This is a 22-year-old kid trying to break into the big leagues. He doesn't need a gaggle of reporters surrounding his locker asking him what went wrong every time he goes 0-for-3.

This ballclub stinks, and Beckham is being thrust into the role of savior in a major-media market. It's not really fair to him. Ozzie is trying to bring the absurdly high expectations back to reality by pointing out that Beckham is hardly a finished product at this stage of his career.

JB98
06-04-2009, 07:13 PM
Getting away from the "Ozzie is a meanie" cryfest, I have a couple other comments on today's game.

It seems to me that everytime Ozzie calls for an intentional walk, it comes back to bite him in the ass. I made that comment to my uncle as Buehrle was issuing the free pass to Holliday in the sixth. My uncle responded by explaining why it was a good move: Holliday is Oakland's best hitter. You set up the double play. You get the lefty-on-lefty matchup with Giambi, who is hitting .216 or whatever this year. All good points. It was the percentage move.

Moments later, it blew up on the Sox. Does anyone else feel like we should never intentionally walk someone again?

Send these guys back on the road. They hit like **** at the Cell, which is apparently only a hitters' park for other teams. The team batting average is hovering around .220 at home. Just brutal. As Sox fans, we paid good money to watch that crap out there today. I guess the joke is on us.

JB98
06-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Well that sucked.

It was nice in the sun, wasn't it? I got a little burn on my arms, but nothing too bad.

Weather and room to stretch out in the stands. Those were the positives.

slavko
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
The record in these Thursday day games, which are usually our getaway day, have been depressing for years. Maybe if they wore real dark sunglasses.......

DirtySox
06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
Don't expect Beckham to play much 2B, Ozzie likes Getz.

BA is fine and ready to go now.

Q will likely go on a rehab assignment before rejoining the Sox.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=298560

infohawk
06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
It looks like the swizzle sticks are back. :scratch:

anewman35
06-04-2009, 07:54 PM
The Sox aren't very good. We all know that. The thing is, nobody in the division is very good. At this point, we're clearly still in the thick of things. If we go and get swept the next two series, yeah, we've got problems. However, if we go play other crappy AL Central teams decently, we have a shot at this.

JB98
06-04-2009, 10:26 PM

HA!

I've got the NBA finals on in the background right now, and I just saw a commercial for the ABC News. The anchor said, "Stay tuned to see how the Sox savior did in his rookie debut!"

BleacherBandit
06-04-2009, 10:40 PM
HA!

I've got the NBA finals on in the background right now, and I just saw a commercial for the ABC News. The anchor said, "Stay tuned to see how the Sox savior did in his rookie debut!"

+1 for Irony. :bandance:

LoveYourSuit
06-04-2009, 11:11 PM
HA!

You don't get it.

They are mocking Ozzie.

Ozzie was the first one to refer to him as "some sort of savior" to paraphrase.

twinslayer
06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Okay, went to the game today, and after a day's worth of festivities, I realized that the Sox offense = 0. Everytime we got a runner on base, we couldn't turn on and get a hit. Konerko was the first Sox to hit a XBH, and that was when they trailed 7-0. Overall, the Sox sucked, and they ought to step it up here, they're home for 12 games! Come on!

Lip Man 1
06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Bobby:

Our best prospect is 22 years old with less then a year of pro ball experience. As others have said he is going to have an adjustment period and it isn't fair to expect him to produce big numbers. Eventually he may.

My point is having a roster of kids like Fields, Getz, Lillibridge now Beckham along with mediocre journeyman players like Wise, Miller, Betemit and their ilk is not going to get it done.

Either say we are rebuilding and bring up Poreda, Shelby, Jordan Danks etc the whole crew, take your lumps for two years and see where you are at or get some quality players...thinking the guys I mentioned above to go along with folks like Owens, MacDougal and so forth were going to "contend" was wishful thinking. And they may still contend in a terrible division...then what?

I give Kenny all the credit in the world for cutting his losses. But the question remains, what was he thinking of when he signed these guys in the first place? Did he really think career lifetime hitters like Wise (.214) and Betemit (.260), Miller (under .200) and so forth were going to 'get it done?'

Lip

Whitesoxfan23
06-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Bobby:

Our best prospect is 22 years old with less then a year of pro ball experience. As others have said he is going to have an adjustment period and it isn't fair to expect him to produce big numbers. Eventually he may.

My point is having a roster of kids like Fields, Getz, Lillibridge now Beckham along with mediocre journeyman players like Wise, Miller, Betemit and their ilk is not going to get it done.

Either say we are rebuilding and bring up Poreda, Shelby, Jordan Danks etc the whole crew, take your lumps for two years and see where you are at or get some quality players...thinking the guys I mentioned above to go along with folks like Owens, MacDougal and so forth were going to "contend" was wishful thinking. And they may still contend in a terrible division...then what?

I give Kenny all the credit in the world for cutting his losses. But the question remains, what was he thinking of when he signed these guys in the first place? Did he really think career lifetime hitters like Wise (.214) and Betemit (.260), Miller (under .200) and so forth were going to 'get it done?'

Lip

That's what I have been saying... He deserves to be criticized for this years awful offseason.

jabrch
06-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Either say we are rebuilding and bring up Poreda, Shelby, Jordan Danks etc the whole crew, take your lumps for two years and see where you are at or get some quality players...

Lip

LMAO...

I can only imagine how intolerable this place would be.

DirtySox
06-05-2009, 10:23 AM
Either say we are rebuilding and bring up Poreda, Shelby, Jordan Danks etc the whole crew, take your lumps for two years and see where you are at or get some quality players

Lip

Well I hope you are ready to take some extended years of lumps, as none of the players you mentioned are ready to be playing in the bigs and won't be called up until 2010 at the earliest. Like it or not, kids are going to be gradually inserted into the White Sox lineup if the renewed focus on the farm system continues. Allen and Poreda are likely to be part of the big league roster next year, and I fully expect to contend if Kenny wisely spends the money coming off the books.

TomBradley72
06-05-2009, 10:38 AM
Then why exactly does our hitting coach still have his job? Just cause we went on a little run of good hitting for a few games doesn't change anything. The hitting overall this season has just been bad. How much longer will this farce continue?

Don't tell me what a great job he's doing with the kids, either. I don't want Walker's "little preparation, swing for the fences" mentality messing with Beckham either.

Because this roster is filled with mediocre hitters. There isn't a ****ing hitting coach in the history of baseball that would turn this group of players into a top run scoring team. I'm not defending Walker...but in my opinion this is much more "Kennyball" than "Walkerball".