PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Beckham being called up will lead to a trade?

Whitesoxfan23
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Getz and Richard moved for a good SP. What trade do you think this may lead to, or do you think it won't lead to a trade?

doublem23
06-04-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm just going to fix your post for you, before we get a 10-post tangent about "Gets."

BadBobbyJenks
06-04-2009, 12:17 PM
If somehow Getz were to sweeten the deal for some team shopping an ace, then I am on board.

Whitesoxfan23
06-04-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm just going to fix your post for you, before we get a 10-post tangent about "Gets."

I am guessing I spelled it with a S. Not sure why I did that. Lol. Thanks for fixing it.

kevingrt
06-04-2009, 12:35 PM
What about a possible trade of Fields. I don't know if the Beckham promotion necessarily means the Sox are more active on the trade market (as we saw they already are active). But I do think it shows the public that the Sox are confident about their depth in the infield meaning anyone is available to be traded.

pilotsox
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Getz and Richard moved for a good SP. What trade do you think this may lead to, or do you think it won't lead to a trade?

Poor showing last night aside, I don't want to trade Clayton. Not for Peavy, or Oswalt, or anyone. Sure, he might end up in the realm of Jaime Navarro someday (yes, sacrilege, I know), but for now, I'm very interested to see what he's got. And I want it to be in OUR colors.

If we're trading youngsters, Fields and Getz are my top choices. Nothing personal, of course. As I see it, the future White Sox infield has Paulie at first, Alexei at second, Beckham at short (those two can be flipped around, for all I know, don't take it too seriously) and Viciedo at third. Fields and Getz can be traded because the future doesn't really have a spot for them.

voodoochile
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
What about a possible trade of Fields. I don't know if they Beckham promotion necessarily means the Sox are more active on the trade market (as we saw they already are active). But I do think it shows the public that the Sox are confident about their depth in the infield meaning anyone is available to be traded.

I agree. In fact it's a good time to shop Fields, because he has been playing pretty well recently. His hard slide last night won't hurt his trade value either. Fields' value may never get higher - not that it's mind blowing now, but he's at least been hitting the ball fairly consistently, has driven in some big runs and even stolen a base. I am sure there are teams who would take a chance on him based on his recent surge and his previous power numbers.

Soxfest
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Fields days are numbered in Sox uniform. KW is not a fan of his anyway!

soxfan21
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM
I would rather see Fields go than Getz because I think Getz has a lit more upside to him. Also, I think an infield with Paulie at first, Getz at second, TCM at short, and Beckham at third isn't that shabby either.

beasly213
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Good God Beckham hasn't even seen one major league pitch in an MLB game yet and we're already talking about trading Josh Fields? :shakehead:

oeo
06-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Fields days are numbered in Sox uniform. KW is not a fan of his anyway!

First of all, Kenny drafted him. Secondly, if this is true, then he's been lying through his teeth for the past 5 years.

kobo
06-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I don't want to see anyone go anywhere until Beckham proves he is capable of being an everyday starter.

beasly213
06-04-2009, 01:06 PM
First of all, Kenny drafted him. Secondly, if this is true, then he's been lying through his teeth for the past 5 years.

He did the same thing McCarthy. Of course a GM will talk up how great his players are. What is he supposed to say "I think this guy will be an average MLB player."

No matter what Williams says though its all irrelevant to other GMs and scouts. None of them are going to get a player or not get a player based on Kenny Williams opinion when they have their own scouts and their own way of evaulating talent.

kevingrt
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't want to see anyone go anywhere until Beckham proves he is capable of being an everyday starter.

Pretty high expectations for a guy who a year ago was just leading his team into the CWS. People better not have too high of expectations for this guy or he better have his head screwed on right here in Chicago.

Bu then again Ozzie said he did not want to see Beckham in Chicago until they knew he could be an everyday starter. So I guess you are just reiterating what Ozzie wants to see from our future middle infielder. Makes sense. I just hope this kid takes criticism well if he falters at any point this season especially early on.

oeo
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
He did the same thing McCarthy. Of course a GM will talk up how great his players are. What is he supposed to say "I think this guy will be an average MLB player."

That's not the 'same thing' at all. Kenny got a deal he couldn't pass up for McCarthy.

When we get a young, stud third baseman for Fields, then it will be the same thing.

beasly213
06-04-2009, 01:18 PM
That's not the 'same thing' at all. Kenny got a deal he couldn't pass up for McCarthy.

Actually it is. Saying a guy is untouchable then moving him is the same thing as bringing a guy up to replace him.

angiew
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Amen!

bigdommer
06-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Actually it is. Saying a guy is untouchable then moving him is the same thing as bringing a guy up to replace him.

Agreed. Nobody initially liked the McCarthy trade because we traded an "untouchable" guy who showed "flashes of brilliance" in limited starts. Prospects are "untouchable" until a GM can land a player that he covets more.

BigP50
06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
I think it might mean a trade

someone on the Sox Message Boards on scout.com who lives in the San Fran area said that are rumors that we could get the pitcher Sanchez. also in the deal would be Randy Winn

WSox597
06-04-2009, 05:48 PM
I actually like Chris Getz. He's a solid player. Not much power, but that won't hurt him on this club.

He seems to know the game pretty well, and doesn't make any bonehead plays usually.

Sargeant79
06-04-2009, 05:59 PM

someone on the Sox Message Boards on scout.com who lives in the San Fran area said that are rumors that we could get the pitcher Sanchez. also in the deal would be Randy Winn

For who? Fields? There would have to be more involved. Probably pitching.

JB98
06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
I think KW is looking to make a major move, regardless of the goings-on with Beckham.

Knowing KW's mindset, it's hard for me to imagine the results the Sox are getting right now sit too well with him.

Big D
06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I think KW is looking to make a major move, regardless of the goings-on with Beckham.

Knowing KW's mindset, it's hard for me to imagine the results the Sox are getting right now sit too well with him.

The division is right there for the taking too. You'd think that Detroit's pitching is eventually going to come back to earth. Minnesota's young players have regressed. The Royals are back to being the Royals, and Cleveland is a few weeks away from blowing up the team if they don't get hot. 84 wins might be enough. One trade might be the difference for the Sox.

JB98
06-04-2009, 08:57 PM
The division is right there for the taking too. You'd think that Detroit's pitching is eventually going to come back to earth. Minnesota's young players have regressed. The Royals are back to being the Royals, and Cleveland is a few weeks away from blowing up the team if they don't get hot. 84 wins might be enough. One trade might be the difference for the Sox.

You're absolutely right. This Sox team, as it is constructed right now, will NOT win the division, IMO. Weak division that it is, I just don't think the Sox are good enough.

But if KW can get us a veteran bat and possibly another arm, this is winnable.

As bad as the Sox have been, they are just 3.5 off the pace. And the teams they are chasing are not good either.

getonbckthr
06-04-2009, 09:17 PM
Agreed. Nobody initially liked the McCarthy trade because we traded an "untouchable" guy who showed "flashes of brilliance" in limited starts. Prospects are "untouchable" until a GM can land a player that he covets more.
Actually I wish I can find the thread because I loved that deal.

Rdy2PlayBall
06-04-2009, 09:27 PM
I really hope so because if not, bringing Beckham up now is just stupid. Fields has brought his average up just as fast as Alexei and has been doing good. Beckham has NO experience in the MLB and his defense away from SS is nothing to brag about. Fields is our safest bet at a decent season. With 07' numbers, the Sox are set at 3B for this season. Let Beckham get a year in AAA! Just saying.

I don't know if Beckham will ever lurk around here or anything but just in case, this is nothing against him at all. I just want him to be amazing starting next year.

BigP50
06-04-2009, 10:35 PM
For who? Fields? There would have to be more involved. Probably pitching.

the poster didn't give much specifics, but I think Fields was most likely involved and most likely a pitching prospect

Whitesoxfan23
06-04-2009, 10:37 PM
He did say Fields.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-04-2009, 10:58 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. 1-2 moves could really turn this team around and win the division. The Peavy deal is a foreshadowing of something else IMO.

MtGrnwdSoxFan
06-04-2009, 11:56 PM

Jonathan Sanchez and Randy Winn for Fields?

Unless there is more involved (and there HAS to be), then KW would be robbing the Giants at gunpoint. That would almost not be fair.

KRS1
06-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Jonathan Sanchez and Randy Winn for Fields?

Unless there is more involved (and there HAS to be), then KW would be robbing the Giants at gunpoint. That would almost not be fair.

I know Josh isn't exactly loved around these parts, but come on. A 35 corner outfielder with no power and a garbage arm is a robbery for 26 year old 3b who still has some upside as he flashed early and as of late? No, I don't expect a huge haul for Josh, but I expect more than that for his upside alone.

tm1119
06-05-2009, 12:50 AM
I know Josh isn't exactly loved around these parts, but come on. A 35 corner outfielder with no power and a garbage arm is a robbery for 26 year old 3b who still has some upside as he flashed early and as of late? No, I don't expect a huge haul for Josh, but I expect more than that for his upside alone.

Randy Winn is a very solid player that would help a lot of teams out a lot. And Sanchez in not even close to "a garbage arm". This is only his 2nd full season, and he has the stuff to be a top of the rotation pitcher. He just has had some control issues that could very well be fixed (Coop). And Fields' potential isnt nearly as high as you are making it out to be. Sure he hit 23 Hrs in a season, but that was with a .244 avg and a .308 obp. And his season so far is not exactly helping his stock.

KRS1
06-05-2009, 12:57 AM
Randy Winn is a very solid player that would help a lot of teams out a lot. And Sanchez in not even close to "a garbage arm". This is only his 2nd full season, and he has the stuff to be a top of the rotation pitcher. He just has had some control issues that could very well be fixed (Coop). And Fields' potential isnt nearly as high as you are making it out to be. Sure he hit 23 Hrs in a season, but that was with a .244 avg and a .308 obp. And his season so far is not exactly helping his stock.

Pitchers with great stuff and no control are a dime-a-dozen. Every time I have seen Sanchez pitch, he can't find the zone and ends up walking everybody until he is forced to throw get-me-over pitches that get rocked. A big time strikeout pitcher who can't even manage a 2:1 K:B ratio doesn't help this team out regardless of stuff. Winn is what he is, a (aging) nice player that gets his job done. Is that one year of him really worth Josh? Not at all IMO.

Whitesoxfan23
06-05-2009, 02:22 AM
I'd like to put a package together of Fields, Poreda, Richard, and somehow get Cain and Winn. I know it won't happen, but I can dream.

russ99
06-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Pitchers with great stuff and no control are a dime-a-dozen. Every time I have seen Sanchez pitch, he can't find the zone and ends up walking everybody until he is forced to throw get-me-over pitches that get rocked. A big time strikeout pitcher who can't even manage a 2:1 K:B ratio doesn't help this team out regardless of stuff. Winn is what he is, a (aging) nice player that gets his job done. Is that one year of him really worth Josh? Not at all IMO.

We said the same things about Gavin Floyd a year and a half ago...

The difference between a guy like Sanchez and Richard is that Sanchez has the tools and minor league results to be a upper-rotation starter and Richard does not. Winn would be a drastic upgrade over most our bench, regardless of age.

Clayton's last outing is much more in line with what I expect from him, and Kenny would be wise to move him while he has value.

I'd love to see us get Matt Cain, but without dealing Poreda. Not sure if it's possible, though.

Whitesoxfan23
06-05-2009, 06:24 PM

The difference between a guy like Sanchez and Richard is that Sanchez has the tools and minor league results to be a upper-rotation starter and Richard does not. Winn would be a drastic upgrade over most our bench, regardless of age.

Clayton's last outing is much more in line with what I expect from him, and Kenny would be wise to move him while he has value.

I'd love to see us get Matt Cain, but without dealing Poreda. Not sure if it's possible, though.

I would give Poreda up for Cain most definitely.

Big D
06-05-2009, 07:20 PM

I doubt they trade Cain for more young pitching, since that's the one thing they don't need. They desperately need some bats. They'd probably want two of Danks/Viciedo/Allen. They'd probably prefer a big-league ready bat though, so we don't really match up well with them.

getonbckthr
06-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I would gladly give SF Poreda, Fields, Allen and Richard for Cain.

Whitesoxfan23
06-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Cain is an awesome pitcher. I would too. I think this team needs an offensive boost as well too though... Obviously. I wouldn't mind Winn.

BigP50
06-05-2009, 07:53 PM

Poreda is our future ace, Fields.....whatever we have Becks, Allen is our future at 1B after Paulie leaves, and Clayton has the potential to be a huge contributor in this rotation.

KMcMahon817
06-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Hmmm...while Cain is a very solid pitcher, that is a bit of a lofty price.

BigP50
06-05-2009, 07:56 PM

yea, I dont even think they would demand that much

TDog
06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Such speculation is laughable. Beckham being called up is a sign of desperation.

getonbckthr
06-05-2009, 09:04 PM
Poreda is our future ace, Fields.....whatever we have Becks, Allen is our future at 1B after Paulie leaves, and Clayton has the potential to be a huge contributor in this rotation.

yea, I dont even think they would demand that much
We were willing to give up Poreda and Richard for Peavy. Why not for a younger cheaper as good pitcher? As far as Allen goes finding a 1B isn't exactly the hardest thing to do in baseball.

sullythered
06-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Richard has a better career ERA in both the minors and the majors than Sanchez, and he's younger.

sullythered
06-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Me too. Matt Cain is WAY more valuable than Jake Peavy, Roy Oswalt, or anyone else who has been rumored about.

He's actually a guy I would consider moving Beckham for, if it were allowed.

BigP50
06-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Me too. Matt Cain is WAY more valuable than Jake Peavy, Roy Oswalt, or anyone else who has been rumored about.

He's actually a guy I would consider moving Beckham for, if it were allowed.

really???

I don't know if I would go that far