PDA

View Full Version : Bryce Harper....

getonbckthr
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Who is this freak?
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156215/3/index.htm

cws05champ
06-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Who is this freak?
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1156215/3/index.htm
I knew about this kid, as the most likely 1st overall pick in 2011. The 24/7 media need someone to latch onto now that Strasburg will be drafted next week.

He's only 16 and has a long way to go and stay healthy to get to the majors.

southside rocks
06-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh goody, his parents are already talking to Scott Boras. :o:

eriqjaffe
06-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Oh goody, his parents are already talking to Scott Boras. :o:Well then, whoever he is, he won't be a member of the White Sox.

getonbckthr
06-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh goody, his parents are already talking to Scott Boras. :o:
Wouldn't you?

DirtySox
06-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Freak is an apt description.

I posted this is another thread a few weeks ago. The power showcase starts at the 3ish minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liS3kGvQ9Bk

I recommend muting it though.

palehozenychicty
06-04-2009, 01:27 PM
He could turn out well.

southside rocks
06-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Wouldn't you?

No, I wouldn't.

I don't elevate money above all else in life, and IMO those athletes who use Boras have elected to make money the most important aspect of their careers.

I think that as Mark Buehrle demonstrated recently, it is possible to live as well on $14 million a year as on $25 million a year. :tongue:

And I think that Scott Boras is slime, and I would not deal with him or have my son deal with him if I were this kid's mom.

Domeshot17
06-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Impressive, great young player, but hes doing it with a metal bat vs teenage pitching. Time will tell if he can do it at the pro level.

ChiSoxFan81
06-04-2009, 02:13 PM
No, I wouldn't.

I don't elevate money above all else in life, and IMO those athletes who use Boras have elected to make money the most important aspect of their careers.

I think that as Mark Buehrle demonstrated recently, it is possible to live as well on $14 million a year as on $25 million a year. :tongue:

And I think that Scott Boras is slime, and I would not deal with him or have my son deal with him if I were this kid's mom.

I agree. To some people, squeezing out the most money is the only thing. I could never have a job like insurance claims adjuster, where I look for reasons to deny people coverage, and I could never have a guy like Boras represent me.

getonbckthr
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
No, I wouldn't.

His job is to get you the best deal he can. For the most part he usually does his job.

southside rocks
06-04-2009, 02:32 PM
His job is to get you the best deal he can. For the most part he usually does his job.

I would differ a bit and say that he regards his job as being: to get the player the most MONEY he can. And yes, for the most part, he usually does his job.

Some of his clients might have done better to consider other aspects of their life and not just the money. A-Rod, for instance, was never going to starve to death, but his contracts have brought him a lot of stress -- some would say more than he can handle.

Interesting part in the book "Roger Clemens: American Icon" about Boras's relationship with the officials of the MLBPA. Doesn't reflect too favorably on either party. That was a good book, I recommend it.

chisoxfanatic
06-04-2009, 05:29 PM
He's already hitting 570-foot home runs! :o:

Big D
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
He says he wants to be "considered the greatest baseball player who ever lived."

He might very well become a star, but I hope he realizes there are going to be times the game humbles him. This isn't basketball, nobody comes into the big leagues as an 18 year old and dominates like Lebron James did. We'll see how he reacts when he becomes a professional and has his first taste of failure.

06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
Using a metal bat. Still impressive, no doubt.

Britt Burns
06-05-2009, 12:21 AM
This kid looks unbelievable--his bat speed is off the charts. You just have to wonder though how he can handle quality offspeed and breaking pitches, especially with that little leg tuck he does at the beginning of his swing. Time will tell.

DumpJerry
06-05-2009, 01:18 AM
:LTP
*Yawn*