PDA

View Full Version : Sosa to retire and "calmly wait for HOF induction"

Hitmen77
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
The one time hero of Cub-dumb, Corky McSteroids, is officially calling it quits.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31093821/

Boondock Saint
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I'll calmly wait for him to shut his piehole and just vanish into the ether.

TommyJohn
06-04-2009, 09:59 AM
The one time hero of Cub-dumb, Corky McSteroids, is officially calling it quits.

He's got Paul Sullivan's vote!

voodoochile
06-04-2009, 10:03 AM
It will be interesting to see how the HOF voters deal with Sosa. There's plenty of smoke, but there's no smoking gun that he used. Yes, he cheated when he used the corked bat, but he never failed a test and no one has come forward to say they sold, gave or injected ShamME* with steroids/PED's.

Unlike McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, ARod, etc. ShamME* managed to get out without getting busted. Be that by dumb luck or design, that's a loophole that might allow the voters to safely vote for him. I hope they don't. I think he used. I just wonder how it will go...

daveeym
06-04-2009, 10:09 AM
It will be interesting to see how the HOF voters deal with Sosa. There's plenty of smoke, but there's no smoking gun that he used. Yes, he cheated when he used the corked bat, but he never failed a test and no one has come forward to say they sold, gave or injected ShamME* with steroids/PED's.

Unlike McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, ARod, etc. ShamME* managed to get out without getting busted. Be that by dumb luck or design, that's a loophole that might allow the voters to safely vote for him. I hope they don't. I think he used. I just wonder how it will go... I'd just add a big YET to all of which you just said. The steroids story isn't done by a longshot.

spawn
06-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Unlike McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, ARod, etc. ShamME* managed to get out without getting busted. Be that by dumb luck or design, that's a loophole that might allow the voters to safely vote for him. I hope they don't. I think he used. I just wonder how it will go...
Well, I think he's going to be riding in the same bus as those mentioned. Yes, there is smoke, and no, he's never failed a test. However, he ended up having the same videogame HR numbers as Barry, Mac, etc. He may get in, but it won't be as quickly as he may think...or the writers may just say screw it, and not vote in any of the players whose numbers they feel may be tainted. It should be interesting.

Boondock Saint
06-04-2009, 10:10 AM

I think his magically forgetting how to speak English in front of Congress will raise enough suspicion with the voters.

mrfourni
06-04-2009, 10:11 AM
For someone who speaks so little English that he needed a translator at his congressional hearings, he writes pretty well.

Risk
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I think his magically forgetting how to speak English in front of Congress will raise enough suspicion with the voters.

That and the carefully prepared response by his lawyer which said something along the lines of "I've never injected anything into my body which was illegal in this country."

Risk

Eddo144
06-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Honestly, I'd probably vote for all these guys. If we blackball all suspected users, we'll wind up with less than five non-pitchers from a 20 year span (Griffey, Thomas, Thome(?), Biggio) in the Hall.

doublem23
06-04-2009, 10:28 AM
McGwire never actually failed a test or admitted to using did he? He was just ratted out by Jose Canseco and his brother, both of whom were also drumming up support for their "tell-all" books.

Not that I'm saying Big Mac didn't juice (he obviously did), but he's being held out basically on circumstantial evidence, too, right? Not like Palmeiro (who failed a test) or A-Rod (who came clean, and failed a test).

Risk
06-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Honestly, I'd probably vote for all these guys. If we blackball all suspected users, we'll wind up with less than five non-pitchers from a 20 year span (Griffey, Thomas, Thome(?), Biggio) in the Hall.

I'm actually ok with the proposition of only putting clean, non-suspected players in the Hall of Fame, rather than those raging juice heads who have done nothing but pissed on the integrity of major league baseball.

The sad thing is...out of all those bums who testified before Congress that day, Jose Canseco is now the most believable (sans Big Frank, who wasn't there testifying in person).

Risk

areilly
06-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Unlike McGwire, Bonds, Palmeiro, ARod, etc. ShamME* managed to get out without getting busted.

I can't wait to see what happens with ROIDger and Ivan ROIDROIDguez get passed over. Too bad Chuck KnoblauCHEAT, Brady AnderSTEROIDS and Kevin Brown Was A Juicer aren't big enough to warrant larger discussions.

voodoochile
06-04-2009, 10:41 AM
McGwire never actually failed a test or admitted to using did he? He was just ratted out by Jose Canseco and his brother, both of whom were also drumming up support for their "tell-all" books.

Not that I'm saying Big Mac didn't juice (he obviously did), but he's being held out basically on circumstantial evidence, too, right? Not like Palmeiro (who failed a test) or A-Rod (who came clean, and failed a test).

McGwire's where it all started. He had a bottle of something in his locker that reporters saw and asked about. There are lots of eye-witnesses to that fact.

spawn
06-04-2009, 10:46 AM
McGwire's where it all started. He had a bottle of something in his locker that reporters saw and asked about. There are lots of eye-witnesses to that fact.
Yep. it was androstenedione (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/1998/08/22/mcgwire_supplement/).

WhiteSoxFTW
06-04-2009, 11:20 AM

It's funny how Cub's fans are now completely disassociating themselves with that part of his career...like he never existed on their team.

ChiSoxFan81
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
If he's "calmly waiting", I hope he has alot of patience. If by some sham he does get in the HOF, I wonder what language his speech will be in?

voodoochile
06-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Yep. it was androstenedione (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/1998/08/22/mcgwire_supplement/).

Right at the time it was considered a "pre-cursor" (whatever that means), IIRC, but it's just as banned as anything else these days and I believe it's not officially viewed as a PED though I don't know if it's technically a steroid or not.

RKMeibalane
06-04-2009, 11:44 AM

And?

This is the Hall of Fame, an establishment dedicated to honoring baseball's greatest players. If only five men are deserving of the honor, then so be it.

Eddo144
06-04-2009, 11:50 AM
And?

This is the Hall of Fame, an establishment dedicated to honoring baseball's greatest players. If only five men are deserving of the honor, then so be it.
And what happens after Player X is elected, then we find out he took PEDs. Do we kick him out?

I don't feel comfortable having baseball writers making moral judgments, that's all. Barry Bonds is one of the twenty best players of all time, period. He should be in the Hall. I guess that's where we differ. I still think Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Ramirez, et al, are "deserving".

voodoochile
06-04-2009, 11:51 AM
And?

Exactly there are 202 total MLB players in the HOF since it opened in 1939. That's less than 3/year and early on they were catching up on all the players who deserved to be in it before the HOF was founded.

It's not unusual to have one or two players a year get in. If there were a 5 year stretch or so with that happening, it would be fine with me.

I'd rather no one got in than the cheaters did...

spawn
06-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm ok with that. :shrug:

beasly213
06-04-2009, 12:03 PM
And what happens after Player X is elected, then we find out he took PEDs. Do we kick him out?

I don't feel comfortable having baseball writers making moral judgments, that's all. Barry Bonds is one of the twenty best players of all time, period. He should be in the Hall. I guess that's where we differ. I still think Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, Ramirez, et al, are "deserving".

Barry Bonds won't be in the Hall because he took the most sacred and storied records in all of sports and made a mockery of it by cheating to achevie it.

He took a record held by Hank Aaron and destroyed it by cheating while Aaron worked long and hard to achevie it.

Bonds is a cheater. Keep him out of the hall of fame.

Sox
06-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Personally I hope he doesn't get elected to the Hall of Fame. What a sham if he does. Zero credibility with me if the baseball writers vote him in.:mad:

Moses_Scurry
06-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Sammy* and the Big Hurt on the same first ballot would make for some interesting theatre. I don't know if Frank is going to hang it up on time though.

downstairs
06-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Sosa and Mark McGwire are forever linked. If Mac doesn't get in, Sosa doesn't get in. I'll bet their vote counts are near identitcal year in year out.

southside rocks
06-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Sosa and Mark McGwire are forever linked. If Mac doesn't get in, Sosa doesn't get in. I'll bet their vote counts are near identitcal year in year out.

I agree.

If Sosa were to get voted into the HOF, that would open the door to a closet chock-full of really nasty MLB skeletons.

If it does turn out that the 90s are represented by only a few players in the HOF -- Junior Griffey, Frank, and Thome come to mind -- I would be fine with that.

thomas35forever
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
If Sosa's "calmly" waiting for his HOF induction, he better learn to be patient with everything else in life because all that is more likely to happen first.

Britt Burns
06-04-2009, 03:01 PM
At the Sosa household. Sammy stting in his recliner, staring at the phone:

Waiting....

Still waiting....

Had to go to the bathroom, rushes back to see if he missed a call. He didn't.

The phone rings. 'Hey Sammy, this is McGwire. anything yet?'

'Not yet, but I'm getting off the phone. They may call while we're talking!'

And more waiting...

Ain't gonna happen Sammy.

Hitmen77
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
It's funny how Cub's fans are now completely disassociating themselves with that part of his career...like he never existed on their team.

Yep...after they spent years filling their ballpark with people who were more interesting in seeing Sosa HRs than seeing a Cubs win.

WSox597
06-04-2009, 06:14 PM

Bingo, my thoughts exactly. That act was as phony as a three-dollar bill.

slavko
06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Right at the time it was considered a "pre-cursor" (whatever that means), IIRC, but it's just as banned as anything else these days and I believe it's not officially viewed as a PED though I don't know if it's technically a steroid or not.

IIRC, it turns into a steroid once you take it, but it isn't technically a steroid. McGwire went way beyond that according to Canseco, whom I believe. And I believe there are undetectable or legal chemicals that do the same thing that are in use today.

Nellie_Fox
06-05-2009, 02:46 AM
That and the carefully prepared response by his lawyer which said something along the lines of "I've never injected anything into my body which was illegal in this country."This is why sentence construction is important. Is the important word "injected?" Did he use only oral steroids? Where are we placing the punctuation in the last half of the sentence? Is "in this country" a parenthetical phrase? Meaning he never injected while in this country? Or was he in the DR when he said it, and what he injected wasn't illegal there,but is in the U.S.? So many ways to spin that statement.

PaleHoser
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
"Calmly wait for HOF induction". :puking::puking:

Iwritecode
06-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Yep...after they spent years filling their ballpark with people who were more interesting in seeing Sosa HRs than seeing a Cubs win.

What, you mean getting 3 million people to come and watch a team lose 100 games is unusual? :tongue:

slavko
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
This is why sentence construction is important. Is the important word "injected?" Did he use only oral steroids? Where are we placing the punctuation in the last half of the sentence? Is "in this country" a parenthetical phrase? Meaning he never injected while in this country? Or was he in the DR when he said it, and what he injected wasn't illegal there,but is in the U.S.? So many ways to spin that statement.

I remember the quote as "I never used any illegal steroids." Fits right in with your reasoning.

Risk
06-05-2009, 11:00 AM
This is why sentence construction is important. Is the important word "injected?" Did he use only oral steroids? Where are we placing the punctuation in the last half of the sentence? Is "in this country" a parenthetical phrase? Meaning he never injected while in this country? Or was he in the DR when he said it, and what he injected wasn't illegal there,but is in the U.S.? So many ways to spin that statement.

Exactly Nellie. I mean, the responses read by Soso the Clown's attorney were so open ended yet allow for deniability that its clear that this mope was in full CYA mode.

Risk

Red Barchetta
06-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Bingo, my thoughts exactly. That act was as phony as a three-dollar bill.

..especially after watching his marketing act for three years on Chicago TV. Not to mention his ability to talk English during all the post-game interviews getting his "thoughts" on the Cubs lose despite another multiple home run game. :rolleyes:

Out of all of them (McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Giambi, Canseco, Palmeiro, Clemens, etc.), the only guy I really hated to see go down was Palmeiro. I really liked rubbing it in to my Cub fan friends that their management chose Grace over Palmeiro (and I doubt anyone will ever think Grace was juicing). LOL!

Hitmen77
06-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Shammy has Derrek Lee's support for the HOF:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-05-cubs-brite-chicago-jun05,0,1593859.story

gobears1987
06-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I'd probably vote for all these guys. If we blackball all suspected users, we'll wind up with less than five non-pitchers from a 20 year span (Griffey, Thomas, Thome(?), Biggio) in the Hall.I actually have no problem with having only Junior. Frank, Thome, and Biggio going in.

soxfan2504
06-06-2009, 01:31 AM
I'll calmly wait for him to shut his piehole and just vanish into the ether.

Um, I think he already has.

FarWestChicago
06-06-2009, 07:14 AM
:nandrolone

You Sox fans are pathetic. Bow down, worship at my feet. I hold the record, well I don't actually hold any records, but I'm better than that big ****er who played for you while I was injectin' an playin' for the Flubs fans. The joke is on all you Sux fans! Look at the World Series Championship flags flying a few miles north. :roflmao:

DumpJerry
06-06-2009, 08:10 AM
What a coincidence! I am calmly waiting to win $100,000,000.00 in the Mega Millions Lottery. Scammy and I can wait together in our meditation class.

I think this is the perfect time for Frank to make it official. Put him on the same first ballot at this clown.