PDA

View Full Version : 100 years of failure = 'uplifting saga'

ChiSoxFan81
06-03-2009, 01:27 PM
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/True-Believers.html
Caution: Article may induce vomiting

kittle42
06-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I hope they are marketing it as a comedy.

hi im skot
06-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Is it wrong that I'd actually like to see this?

ChiSoxFan81
06-03-2009, 01:41 PM

It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry. Just at the opposite time from everyone else in the crowd.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-03-2009, 01:42 PM
I like this line from the story... "and is sponsored by -- surprise, surprise -- Budweiser."

guillensdisciple
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM

I kind of want to see it, but I do not know if it is for the right reasons.

WizardsofOzzie
06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
This sentence caught my eye
"plumbs the depths of the typical Cubs fan's psyche during "We Believe" in an attempt to explain the mystical attraction between Chicago (http://www.nbcchicago.com/topics?topic=Chicago+Cubs) and its Cubbies. "

That would be the aspect I'd be interested in seeing.

Jimmy Piersall
06-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I like this line from the story... "and is sponsored by -- surprise, surprise -- Budweiser."

Of course...Harry Caray was Bud-Man you know and he was a
cub broadcaster all his life...they can prove it to becuase there
is a statue out side their ballpark !

Risk
06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
I kind of want to see it, but I do not know if it is for the right reasons.

Perhaps one of the reasons would be--Schadenfreude.:D:

Risk

spawn
06-03-2009, 01:46 PM
The "most loyal fan base in all of baseball"? Really? Why? Becasue they've suffered through a 100 year championship drought? Please.

guillensdisciple
06-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Perhaps one of the reasons would be--Schadenfreude.:D:

Risk

I wikipedia-ed that, and the answer is yes for that reason.

soxpride724
06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
You mean, the most loyal since the early 80's, when the stadium and the neighborhood became trendy.

kittle42
06-03-2009, 02:00 PM
You mean, the most loyal since the early 80's, when the stadium and the neighborhood became trendy.

They ought to make a documentary about the marketing genius that turned a team that was nothing special into "Chicago's" or, worse, "America's" team without ever winning a goddamn thing. That, I think, would be worth watching.

Risk
06-03-2009, 02:06 PM
They ought to make a documentary about the marketing genius that turned a team that was nothing special into "Chicago's" or, worse, "America's" team without ever winning a goddamn thing. That, I think, would be worth watching.

No way that happens because it would be a combination of requiring critical thinking skills mixed in with researching facts--something that is a deadly combination to Scrub fans and their "beloved."

Risk

JB98
06-03-2009, 02:08 PM
The "most loyal fan base in all of baseball"? Really? Why? Becasue they've suffered through a 100 year championship drought? Please.

Just once, I'd like to see someone in the national media challenge this notion that Cubs fans are "the most loyal" and "deserve a championship."

The Cubs fans have been booing their asses off this year. I suppose they are just "proving their loyalty" by turning their backs on their underachieving heroes.

You never hear people say that Pirates fans "deserve a championship," and Pittsburgh has sucked even worse than the Cubs over the last couple decades.

palehozenychicty
06-03-2009, 02:12 PM

Indeed.

LITTLE NELL
06-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Lee Elia will tell you how loyal they are.

RadioheadRocks
06-03-2009, 02:44 PM

No more calls, we have a winner!

ChiSoxFan81
06-03-2009, 02:48 PM
No more calls, we have a winner!

You're our Brown's Chicken poster of the thread! Moooooooooo!

soxpride724
06-03-2009, 03:03 PM
You're our Brown's Chicken poster of the thread! Moooooooooo!

Sweet!:bandance:

SOXPHILE
06-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Just exactly what are the requirements for a fan, or a fanbase to be labeled the "most loyal in the world" ? Would somebody tell a fan of a teams such as the Cardinals, White Sox, Phillies, Mets, Red Sox, Tigers, etc. that "Sorry, but Cubs fans are more loyal than you."

The amount of time since a team's last championship is not a measure of how loyal the fans are, nor is the history detailing how they've been mosty bad since 1945. They have not been waiting 100 years for a championship. This would only be the case if said fans were more than 100 years old. I wasn't waiting 88 years for the White Sox to finally win a World Series in 2005. I began watching baseball when I was about 5 or 6, and then began to understand it and follow it with regularity when I was about 8 or 9. Therefore, I had been "waiting for a championship" for roughly 25 years. 22 year old backwards hat and pookah bead wearing fratboys have not been waiting 100 years.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-03-2009, 04:38 PM
22 year old backwards hat and pookah bead wearing fratboys have not been waiting 100 years.

I went to college with those kids in 2003. God, that loss to the Marlins was sweet.

WhiteSox5187
06-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Are there no Sox fans that are film makers? How come we didn't get an HBO documentary after we won in '05 like the Red Sox and even the god damned Cubs in '03? And really, you would think that someone would interview John McDonagh to hear how he marketed losing and turned Wrigley Field from a cold, desolate ball park where the upper deck was closed most days into "Beautiful Wrigley Field."

WhiteSoxFTW
06-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Are there no Sox fans that are film makers? How come we didn't get an HBO documentary after we won in '05 like the Red Sox and even the god damned Cubs in '03? And really, you would think that someone would interview John McDonagh to hear how he marketed losing and turned Wrigley Field from a cold, desolate ball park where the upper deck was closed most days into "Beautiful Wrigley Field."

What year did he start?

Oh, and I'm guessing I'm not the only one that wants to see the Tribune keep the team? Haha.

spawn
06-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Are there no Sox fans that are film makers? How come we didn't get an HBO documentary after we won in '05 like the Red Sox and even the god damned Cubs in '03?
We weren't "cursed".

Jimmy Piersall
06-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure when McDonough started on the North Side and
i don't really care.But i'm pretty sure that the roots of the whole
cub popularity thing goes back to Harry Caray moving across
town and WGN becoming a superstation.That started this mess
that we have to endure today.The sight of Harry hoisting a cold
one or six,on national television in the friendly barf confines,got
the snowball rolling.Throw in the occasional visit by Harry to the
bleachers,Budweiser in tow,and the standard camera shots of the
hot women wearing not much and understanding even less,and
there's your recipe for the mess we have today.

MeteorsSox4367
06-03-2009, 05:23 PM

You, sir, are correct. I went to a Cubs-Giants doubleheader in '79 (I like the Giants) with my Dad and we took the Archer bus to the 'El' downtown. The 'El' didn't stop at Addison, so we got off at Irving and Sheridan and walked back.

I just remember my Dad telling me to stay close because the neighborhood wasn't that great. This was at 11 am.

And now, it's Disneyland.

SOXPHILE
06-03-2009, 05:38 PM
"It" started in 1981 when TribCo bought the team, but it exploded in full force in 1984. I remember it clearly, thinking at the time how amazingly different it was from 1982 & 1983, when the park was less than half full, to just 1 year later, when the park and the entire neighborhood were overrun. "It" is now 25 years old.

Woofer
06-03-2009, 05:43 PM
It'll make you laugh, it'll make you cry. Just at the opposite time from everyone else in the crowd.

This makes me laugh out loud. Can you imagine how priceless it would be to hear laughter during all the "sad cubby" times?
Black cat runs out in front of Santo-Ha ha ha
Dude can't bring the pet goat in and curses Cubs for all eternity-He he he
Bartman episode-people rolling in aisles of theater
I would love to see the movie just to get silent laughs like that.

DSpivack
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
This makes me laugh out loud. Can you imagine how priceless it would be to hear laughter during all the "sad cubby" times?

Yeah, this doc sounds like a perfect example of 'unintentional' hilarity.

TDog
06-03-2009, 05:51 PM
Are there no Sox fans that are film makers? ...

Actually, John Hughes, who did for Chicago (and suburban North Shore) what John Ford did for Monument Valley, is a huge White Sox fan. In his production of Only the Lonely, John Candy takes Ally Sheedy for a first date onto the infield grass of Old Comiskey, lamenting that he can't believe they're going to tear this whole place down.

John Hughes also took Matthew Broderick and the gang out to Wrigley Field to catch a foul ball, for which some Sox fans have never forgiven him.

Wrigley Field is mythology for people who have never been to it, and even some who have. I hear plenty of Wrigley hype on the radio, and I live in Northern California.

But I don't take it personally.

Foulke You
06-03-2009, 06:36 PM
John Hughes also took Matthew Broderick and the gang out to Wrigley Field to catch a foul ball, for which some Sox fans have never forgiven him.
On the director commentary track for Ferris Bueller, Hughes addressed why he had Ferris go to Wrigley. He mentioned that they only had a 2 day window to get that shot and the Sox were out of town. Not to mention, they played almost all night games and they needed a day game since Ferris was playing hooky from school. I believe his quote went and I'm paraphrasing here "Wrigley is a nice place, too bad it was the wrong team." :cool:

DSpivack
06-03-2009, 07:40 PM
On the director commentary track for Ferris Bueller, Hughes addressed why he had Ferris go to Wrigley. He mentioned that they only had a 2 day window to get that shot and the Sox were out of town. Not to mention, they played almost all night games and they needed a day game since Ferris was playing hooky from school. I believe his quote went and I'm paraphrasing here "Wrigley is a nice place, too bad it was the wrong team." :cool:

You can clearly see an empty upper deck, there, too.

Nellie_Fox
06-04-2009, 03:02 AM
I believe his quote went and I'm paraphrasing here "Wrigley is a nice place, too bad it was the wrong team." :cool:But it's not even a nice place. It's a dump.

BleacherBandit
06-04-2009, 03:20 AM
But it's not even a nice place. It's a dump.

The ivy on the walls makes up for everything.

guillensdisciple
06-04-2009, 04:37 AM

I doubt it, to most Cubs fans this will probably be the movie of a century. A real tear- jerker that shows the compassion and grit of a fanbase that has gone through so much only to receive so little.

TommyJohn
06-04-2009, 10:04 AM

I find myself wishing I had gone to bars during the 2005 postseason with a video camera and made my own makeshift doc. Of course, Cub fans would sneer at us that the reason we don't have one is that "no one cares." And seriously, I wonder why that is. What made the Cubs and Red Sox so special, so "magical"? What's the difference?

ChiSoxFan81
06-04-2009, 11:27 AM
I find myself wishing I had gone to bars during the 2005 postseason with a video camera and made my own makeshift doc. Of course, Cub fans would sneer at us that the reason we don't have one is that "no one cares." And seriously, I wonder why that is. What made the Cubs and Red Sox so special, so "magical"? What's the difference?

They were......CURSED!

http://boingboing.net/images/gopher-look.gif

soxpride724
06-04-2009, 12:01 PM
You, sir, are correct. I went to a Cubs-Giants doubleheader in '79 (I like the Giants) with my Dad and we took the Archer bus to the 'El' downtown. The 'El' didn't stop at Addison, so we got off at Irving and Sheridan and walked back.

I just remember my Dad telling me to stay close because the neighborhood wasn't that great. This was at 11 am.

And now, it's Disneyland.

Was this when they roped off the upper deck, to make the stadium look "Full" for the T.V.?

Sox
06-04-2009, 12:11 PM
I think that it's a little late in the year for an April Fool's Joke. :kneeslap:

Shoeless
06-07-2009, 01:52 AM
They can have their documentary. I'll keep my copy of this...

http://spln.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pMLB2-2505995reg.jpg

SoxFan1979
06-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Of course...Harry Caray was Bud-Man you know and he was a
cub broadcaster all his life...they can prove it to becuase there
is a statue out side their ballpark !

Oh man I'm sure you get messed up looks when you tell Flub fans he was on the South Side 1st and even crazier looks when you tell Flub fans that he was in St Lou before that.

QueerGirrl
06-07-2009, 05:57 AM

:thumbsup:

pilotsox
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Actually, this is why I do NOT hate the Cubs. Seriously, I don't even dislike 'em.

They play in a different league, have nothing to do with us, and they haven't wont a damn thing in one hundred years. It'd be like me hating the kid who picked on me in high school but never went to college because he got addicted to meth and now has a promising career at Burger King. Sure, he was an asswipe, but he sucks so much at life that he's not even worth the negative attention. He's a joke, the Cubs are a joke.

Now, admittedly, I've been away from Chicago for a long time so I don't have to put up with their fans. Maybe that's the big difference.

SOXPHILE
06-10-2009, 03:55 PM
Now, admittedly, I've been away from Chicago for a long time so I don't have to put up with their fans. Maybe that's the big difference.

When it comes to the "fans" and the local, slobbering media, it is the difference.

SOXSINCE'70
06-10-2009, 04:24 PM

I will always cherish mine.:cool:

TommyJohn
06-10-2009, 04:45 PM
When it comes to the "fans" and the local, slobbering media, it is the difference.Slobbering? I am insulted. That is too kind a word to describe the media's attitude. Morrissey and Dave Kaplan on Chicago Tribune Live recently are fine examples, talking about the Cubs having a shot at tying the Braves' record for most consecutive division titles. To quote tennis immortal John McEnroe-You cannot be serious.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2009, 02:54 AM
Actually, this is why I do NOT hate the Cubs. Seriously, I don't even dislike 'em.

They play in a different league, have nothing to do with usOh, but that's not true. The Cubs obsession in Chicago directly hurts the White Sox. The Sox compete directly with the Cubs for the Chicago entertainment dollar. They compete directly for the attention of the sports fans during the baseball season. The Twins are only a temporary divisional rival. Those come and go. The Cubs will always be there, eight miles away, sucking the life out of Chicago baseball.

pilotsox
06-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Oh, but that's not true. The Cubs obsession in Chicago directly hurts the White Sox. The Sox compete directly with the Cubs for the Chicago entertainment dollar. They compete directly for the attention of the sports fans during the baseball season. The Twins are only a temporary divisional rival. Those come and go. The Cubs will always be there, eight miles away, sucking the life out of Chicago baseball.

What fans are these? They aren't competing for my love, or your love. Neither of us are going to be skipping over to the northside in this lifetime or the next, and the same goes for every Sox fan on this board. So I can't buy the idea of competing over fans. If there are fans who will be swayed north in some way, the Flubs can keep them. Only diehards on the southside.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2009, 03:21 AM
What fans are these? They aren't competing for my love, or your love. Neither of us are going to be skipping over to the northside in this lifetime or the next, and the same goes for every Sox fan on this board. So I can't buy the idea of competing over fans. If there are fans who will be swayed north in some way, the Flubs can keep them. Only diehards on the southside.Maybe YOU want to reject the casual fan; I guarantee you the Sox don't. The Sox and Cubs each have hardcore fans, and they compete for the casual fan. The Cubs win this contest more often than not for the past couple of decades, because it is trendy to be a Cubs fan. And that hurts the Sox. That's a fact.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-11-2009, 09:10 AM
And today's casual fan can become the future's regular fan, core of the core or season ticket holder. A recent college grad, not from Chicago, moves here and picks a baseball team to root for. They may stick with it, and that may bring into the fold, over time, the grad's friends, future spouse and kids, and more "casual" revenue from their visitors who come to town.

white sox bill
06-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Maybe YOU want to reject the casual fan; I guarantee you the Sox don't. The Sox and Cubs each have hardcore fans, and they compete for the casual fan. The Cubs win this contest more often than not for the past couple of decades, because it is trendy to be a Cubs fan. And that hurts the Sox. That's a fact.

IIRC Richard Roeper, author of Sox and the City, claims both teams have approx. same number of hardcore fans (still think they have more). He says difference is cubs get 90% of the casual or bandwagon fan.

kittle42
06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
IIRC Richard Roeper, author of Sox and the City, claims both teams have approx. same number of hardcore fans (still think they have more). He says difference is cubs get 90% of the casual or bandwagon fan.

I pretty much agree with this. As long as it is true, we will continue to operate with only 50 cents.

pilotsox
06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
And today's casual fan can become the future's regular fan, core of the core or season ticket holder. A recent college grad, not from Chicago, moves here and picks a baseball team to root for. They may stick with it, and that may bring into the fold, over time, the grad's friends, future spouse and kids, and more "casual" revenue from their visitors who come to town.

Personally, I think true fans are developed long before college. As my profile says, I became a Sox fan because my family moved to Chicago when I was 5. It was the perfect timing because I was just old enough to understand sports, and by pure luck, I picked the White Sox over the Cubs.

That's the only team I die hard for. Well, them and Penn State football because that's my alma mater. But my later attempts to be a fan of other sports teams, such as the Raiders, failed completely. I just couldn't feel any real emotion for them. "Regular" fans are made at a young age.

kittle42
06-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Personally, I think true fans are developed long before college. As my profile says, I became a Sox fan because my family moved to Chicago when I was 5. It was the perfect timing because I was just old enough to understand sports, and by pure luck, I picked the White Sox over the Cubs.

That's the only team I die hard for. Well, them and Penn State football because that's my alma mater. But my later attempts to be a fan of other sports teams, such as the Raiders, failed completely. I just couldn't feel any real emotion for them. "Regular" fans are made at a young age.

That's fine, but you have to compete for the average joe's entertainment dollar, and the Cubs kill the Sox on that front.

Moses_Scurry
06-11-2009, 01:44 PM
So here's my question:

When will the trend be to buck the current trend? For example, first it was hip and trendy to have a cell phone. Then, it became hip and trendy to intentionally NOT have a cell phone.

When will it become not cool to be a sheep and cool to be different and be a White Sox fan?

WhiteSox5187
06-11-2009, 01:55 PM
So here's my question:

When will the trend be to buck the current trend? For example, first it was hip and trendy to have a cell phone. Then, it became hip and trendy to intentionally NOT have a cell phone.

When will it become not cool to be a sheep and cool to be different and be a White Sox fan?

When we start winning.

RedHeadPaleHoser
06-11-2009, 02:11 PM
When we start winning.

Consistently.

ChiSoxFan81
06-11-2009, 03:10 PM
So here's my question:

Hopefully never. I'd rather have a half-full stadium of baseball fans who are knowledgeable than a stadium full of partying nitwits.

DSpivack
06-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Hopefully never. I'd rather have a half-full stadium of baseball fans who are knowledgeable than a stadium full of partying nitwits.

So you'd rather the team you're rooting for have half the revenue, half the money to spend on talent on the field, just so you can be surrounded by 'baseball fans'?

I don't know why some people focus on the makeup of the people sitting in the stands, rather than the players and product on the field.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 03:26 PM

I for one, can't imagine what it must be like for a die-hard, knowledgeable Cub fan (there has to be at least a half-dozen or so, right?) to go to Wrigley Field on a regular basis and have to deal with all the tourists and drunken idiots.

Though, I don't want to deal w/ the drunken idiots, I for one would much rather have a full ballpark than a half-full one. That means the $$ to spend for the product on the field is greater, and we can get some of the big-name free agents that we haven't gotten.

I still will never understand why tourists want to go to Wrigley. It's such a dump of a ballpark with terrible sightlines. Why wouldn't you want to go to the nicer of the two ballparks?

ChiSoxFan81
06-11-2009, 03:28 PM
So you'd rather the team you're rooting for have half the revenue, half the money to spend on talent on the field, just so you can be surrounded by 'baseball fans'?

I don't know why some people focus on the makeup of the people sitting in the stands, rather than the players and product on the field.

Absolutely. I've had Cubs fans sitting behind me this year at a Sox game, and it was brutal. College girls talking about their drunken exploits for the whole damn game. Besides, I like being able to wake up in the morning and decide to go to a game and walk up and buy good tickets. I don't want it to be the hip thing to do and turn the Cell into a tourist trap. The Cubs sell out almost every game and still haven't won anything so the revenue argument is irrelevant.

kittle42
06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
The Cubs sell out almost every game and still haven't won anything so the revenue argument is irrelevant.

No, it's not. Just because the Cubs haven't spent their money or, more recently, haven't spent it wisely, doesn't mean that your team doesn't have a better chance of winning when more revenue is available. In fact, seeing as we have seen a direct correlation between attendance, money available, and willingness to spend in the Reinsdorf era, selling out every game would be a boon for us as Sox fans.

I hate Cub fans, too, but don't be shortsighted just because they suck.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-11-2009, 03:51 PM
No, it's not. Just because the Cubs haven't spent their money or, more recently, haven't spent it wisely, doesn't mean that your team doesn't have a better chance of winning when more revenue is available. In fact, seeing as we have seen a direct correlation between attendance, money available, and willingness to spend in the Reinsdorf era, selling out every game would be a boon for us as Sox fans.

I agree. A lot of the Cubs' recent problems, IMHO, is due to a lackluster GM. He gets to focused on one issue and has to fix that issue at all cost. The Cubs needed more left-handed bats in last years playoffs, so he cuts payroll and gets Bradley. Everyone says he is gonna hit, but I wonder. (.209/.325/.364)

Iwritecode
06-11-2009, 03:56 PM
I still will never understand why tourists want to go to Wrigley. It's such a dump of a ballpark with terrible sightlines. Why wouldn't you want to go to the nicer of the two ballparks?

Because they believe all the myths about the two stadiums that have been around for years. "Beautiful Wrigley Field" is THE place to be because it's historic, the fans are all wonderful, the neighborhood is a giant party, etc...

US Cellular is bland, the fans are rowdy, it's located in a dangerous neighborhood, etc...

I can't count how many times I've heard of somebody walking into US Cellular field for the first time and they are just amazed at how great it is and how wrong the stereotypes are.

kittle42
06-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Because they believe all the myths about the two stadiums that have been around for years. "Beautiful Wrigley Field" is THE place to be because it's historic, the fans are all wonderful, the neighborhood is a giant party, etc...

US Cellular is bland, the fans are rowdy, it's located in a dangerous neighborhood, etc...

I can't count how many times I've heard of somebody walking into US Cellular field for the first time and they are just amazed at how great it is and how wrong the stereotypes are.

Ligue and Dybas really screwed the Sox on this front.

Iwritecode
06-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Ligue and Dybas really screwed the Sox on this front.

That's mostly the media. You notice the stories about Cubs fans acting like fools are always quietly swept under the rug and never brought up again.

The guy that stole the hat from the Dodger's catcher.

The guy that ran onto the field while Bob Howry was standing on the mound.

The dozens of fans that threw balls onto the field that caused Marty Brennaman to go off on them.

Yet anytime either of the two you mention so much as sneezes, they are talking about what happened at the cell.

DSpivack
06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Absolutely. I've had Cubs fans sitting behind me this year at a Sox game, and it was brutal. College girls talking about their drunken exploits for the whole damn game. Besides, I like being able to wake up in the morning and decide to go to a game and walk up and buy good tickets. I don't want it to be the hip thing to do and turn the Cell into a tourist trap. The Cubs sell out almost every game and still haven't won anything so the revenue argument is irrelevant.

Then expect your team to be mediocre.

Big D
06-11-2009, 04:41 PM
That's mostly the media. You notice the stories about Cubs fans acting like fools are always quietly swept under the rug and never brought up again.

The dozens of fans that threw balls onto the field that caused Marty Brennaman to go off on them.

Yet anytime either of the two you mention so much as sneezes, they are talking about what happened at the cell.

Or the 7 or 8 times a year the fans throw garbage on the field at Wrigley after a controversial call. When was the last time that happened at the Cell?

kittle42
06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Or the 7 or 8 times a year the fans throw garbage on the field at Wrigley after a controversial call. When was the last time that happened at the Cell?

Passion. Fire.

Big D
06-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Coincidentally enough, the garbage throwing usually seems to occur around the time beer sales are cut off.

TommyJohn
06-11-2009, 04:59 PM

Agree 100%. There have been at least three cases of fans running out onto the field at Wrigley in 2006-07. Quick, name any one of the three off the top of your head.......

still waiting...........

But the names of Ligue and Dybas are practically world famous.

ChiSoxFan81
06-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Yeah, we can see how well spending money worked for the Yankees the past decade. It's not like the Sox are wallowing at the bottom of the payroll list. They have plenty to work with using the income they have at their disposal. If winning consistantly comes at the expense of bad experiences at the ballpark, then count me out. Sox fans should take pride in not being trendy or hip. If the Cell could be filled with knowledgeable baseball fans there to watch the game every day, I'd enjoy it. But to have to deal with jackasses that ruin your enjoyment of the game isn't worth it to me.

kittle42
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
If the Cell could be filled with knowledgeable baseball fans there to watch the game every day, I'd enjoy it. But to have to deal with jackasses that ruin your enjoyment of the game isn't worth it to me.

You apparently don't pay enough attention to the people at the Cell. There are plenty of imbeciles and jackasses. I think that, as Sox fans, we sometimes choose to look past some of the people in our own fanbase who populate our stands.

pilotsox
06-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Two words: tourist trap. There are nicer museums in Paris than the Louvre, nicer areas in Manhattan than Times Square, and nicer beaches in Hawaii than Waikiki. But the tourists don't know that.

pilotsox
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, we can see how well spending money worked for the Yankees the past decade. It's not like the Sox are wallowing at the bottom of the payroll list. They have plenty to work with using the income they have at their disposal. If winning consistantly comes at the expense of bad experiences at the ballpark, then count me out. Sox fans should take pride in not being trendy or hip. If the Cell could be filled with knowledgeable baseball fans there to watch the game every day, I'd enjoy it. But to have to deal with jackasses that ruin your enjoyment of the game isn't worth it to me.

I've agreed with everything you've said until this. I don't like the jackass fans that hop on the bandwagon, and if there was anything I didn't like about 2005 is that we got a lot of those *******s until they fell off in 2007 (which was probably the only thing I liked about that season). So yeah, **** those fans, but do not **** them to the extent that we will be losers simply to avoid them. Even if we are swamped in those types, I would much prefer 2005's til the end of time than 2007's.

ChiSoxFan81
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
You apparently don't pay enough attention to the people at the Cell. There are plenty of imbeciles and jackasses. I think that, as Sox fans, we sometimes choose to look past some of the people in our own fanbase who populate our stands.

I'm not denying this. It's not like I think EVERY Sox fan is a baseball historian who actually knows every player on our 40-man roster and knows how to behave themselves. I just don't want boorish behavior to become the norm rather than the exception. Aren't we the same Sox fans that take pride in being knowledgeable and expecting a winning team? Aren't we the same Sox fans that despise the marketing machine that is the Cubs and the sheep that is their fanbase? So, are we really debating whether or not it would be beneficial to our payroll, and in turn our team's success, if we emulated the Cubs?

ChiSoxFan81
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I've agreed with everything you've said until this. I don't like the jackass fans that hop on the bandwagon, and if there was anything I didn't like about 2005 is that we got a lot of those *******s until they fell off in 2007 (which was probably the only thing I liked about that season). So yeah, **** those fans, but do not **** them to the extent that we will be losers simply to avoid them. Even if we are swamped in those types, I would much prefer 2005's til the end of time than 2007's.

I'm not really talking so much about bandwagon fans though. If you only want to come around when the team is doing well, fine. Just don't act like a jerk. If you're there to watch the game, you can be a Cubs fan for all I care. But you don't go to a movie to talk loudly with friends, you don't go to a concert to get drunk and yell at everyone about how bad their favorite band sucks. Likewise, doing so at a baseball game is unacceptable.

Sox-on-TV44
06-14-2009, 01:45 PM
http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/True-Believers.html
Caution: Article may induce vomiting
That Cubs 100 years movie?Well,it's sooooo bad (HOW BAD IS IT?!),it made these movies look great....
http://1416andcounting.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/gigli.jpg
http://1416andcounting.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/glitter_ver1.jpg?w=336&h=440
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/From-justin-to-kelly.jpg

May I continue?:rolling: