PDA

View Full Version : "White Sox Journal"-by John Snyder

TommyJohn
06-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Has anybody purchased this book yet? I did yesterday and started reading it. I am hooked. I highly recommend it to anyone who thirsts for knowledge of White Sox history. It is literally a "This Date in White Sox History" type book and has more info than you could imagine. Or that you'll ever need.

There are a few errors, though. I guess that is to be expected in a book as volumnious as this one. One is in the 1901 entry about grand slams by Herm McFarland and Dummy Hoy, stating that the next grand slam would be hit in 1910 by "Jesse Tannehill." Whoops, it wasn't Jesse, it was his brother Lee. Jesse was a pitcher for the Red Sox who no-hit the White Sox-including his brother-in 1904.

Another states that the Yankees tied the Sox's record 19 game winning streak in 1953 (it was 1947.) By far the funniest was this 1906 entry: "The White Sox win the world championship with an 8-3 win over the White Sox." (Cubs, actually).

One interesting error is this one, in the August 23, 1972 entry about Dick Allen's bleacher blast "the ball was caught by Mark Liptak, a fan who was interviewed on the radio by Harry Caray." Not a direct quote, but close enough. As Lip has stated various times on this site, he was 10 feet from where the ball landed but did not retrieve it.

I don't mean to pick on Snyder's errors, though. I am sure the vast majority of things in there are correct. The book is a great resource for any White Sox fan.

soxfan21
06-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I picked up this book about two months ago and it is a very good read. There are a lot of errors in it though, but as you pointed out that can be expected from a book this size. My favorite error is the one that lists jerry manuel as the manager of the '05 team. I am actully starting to read it year by year now, and am currently on the 1926 season.

35th&Shields
06-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I picked up this book about two months ago and it is a very good read. There are a lot of errors in it though, but as you pointed out that can be expected from a book this size. My favorite error is the one that lists jerry manuel as the manager of the '05 team.

That's a pretty egregious (and unforgiveable) error.

RadioheadRocks
06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I picked up this book about two months ago and it is a very good read. There are a lot of errors in it though, but as you pointed out that can be expected from a book this size. My favorite error is the one that lists jerry manuel as the manager of the '05 team. I am actully starting to read it year by year now, and am currently on the 1926 season.

This one jumped right out at me as well. I'll concur that it's an egregious and unforgiveable error as well (come on, they were the fricken World Champions!!!!!).

Rohan
06-02-2009, 07:50 PM
i picked up this book about two months ago and it is a very good read. There are a lot of errors in it though, but as you pointed out that can be expected from a book this size. My favorite error is the one that lists jerry manuel as the manager of the '05 team. I am actully starting to read it year by year now, and am currently on the 1926 season.

wow.

TommyJohn
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
I found another error, alas. This one states that the first night game in Comiskey Park history was was on August 18, 1939. It was actually August 14, 1939 against the Browns. If you are researching this, how do you get it wrong? Seriously.

The game was won 5-2, John Duncan Rigney was the winner. The first Browns hit came in the 6th off the bat of John "Dr. Steve Hardy" Berardino. Seriously, if you are doing a book on a franchise, how does this escape your notice?

october23sp
06-02-2009, 09:12 PM
How can you believe anything in this book. Unless its stated once that Manuel was the manager and in light context but if it repeatedly says it than the book is junk.

TommyJohn
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I did discover one fact that I verified-Rollie Zeider and Dutch Zwilling are the only players to play for all three Chicago teams in the 20th century-White Sox, Cubs and the Whales of the Federal League. In fact, Zwilling played for all three Chicago teams and no other clubs. Zeider almost did the same thing. He played with all three plus a half-season with the Yankees.

soxfan21
06-02-2009, 09:26 PM
How can you believe anything in this book. Unless its stated once that Manuel was the manager and in light context but if it repeatedly says it than the book is junk.

I think it was just a misprint because in the rest of that section it has Ozzie as the manager.

FielderJones
06-03-2009, 12:03 PM
I think I'll wait for the second edition to give them a chance to clean some of this stuff up.

KenBerryGrab
06-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Those are some pretty big errors. I will avoid this.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-03-2009, 04:50 PM
I have this book, and there are alot of errors that ruin the credibility of this book. They're almost put in there like a joke. I don't understand how someone could allow for these errors, especially confusing Manuel with Guillen.

TommyJohn
06-03-2009, 08:26 PM
The more I'm finding, the more I find I must retract my earlier endorsement of the book. I bought it at Barnes & Noble, picking it over a book titled "America At the Fair" about the 1893 Columbian Exposition. Clearly I should have picked that one instead.