PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Frank!

hawkjt
06-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Listening to Mully and Hanley this am, they are talking about an article in the NW Herald where it was reported that Kenny and Jerry have talked to Frank about coming back when he is ready to hang it up, sign with the Sox,retire as a Sox, and get his statue and appropriate honors.

I am a huge Frank fan, and am glad to hear this. I hope it happens. I know Kenny and Frank have issues, but good to hear Kenny will not let that get in the way. Reinsdorf has always liked Frank and vice versa so it should happen.

It does piss me off to hear Mully and Hanley(especially) rip on Frank all morning. As they say, frankly,whiny media, I do not give a damn if Frank was not your best buddy in the locker room. Those of us who pay for tickets to the park,like to get value for our money,and Frank was the best value in baseball for a decade. When he came up, everybody stopped and watched.
Hanley is saying Frank did not want to let the fans watch batting practice...what I remember is Frank wanted to have bp before the visitors,and the gates did not open in time. Well, has that changed since Frank left? I doubt it. I suspect most of the team liked it that way ,but the media singled out Frank as the jerk who is shutting out the fans.

They are harping on his music business failure...who cares? Did he get arrested? Did he use steroids? That is all I care about.

Hanley is such a prick,and a certified Frank-hater..I expect that. Mully seems to be just like the Mariottis of the chicago media...thin-skinned.
Then they hammer Frank for the same thing. Yes, Frank was thin-skinned and not a perfect human being,but I did not go to the games to have a best friend, I wanted production on the field...and Frank was the greatest right-handed hitter in MLB history outside of maybe Foxx...so screw the media...welcome back Frank...make it happen,Kenny!

soltrain21
06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
What exactly do we need Frank Thomas for right now? I loved him when he was here, but really - that's about it.

I liked Robin Ventura more, anyway.

The Immigrant
06-02-2009, 09:27 AM
What exactly do we need Frank Thomas for right now?

To retire with the Sox and then go away.

soltrain21
06-02-2009, 09:34 AM
To retire with the Sox and then go away.

I don't get the whole "retiring with a team thing" anyway. Seems like an empty, forced gesture.

rdwj
06-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I like it and hope it happens. It's a nice way send the big hurt into retirement and gives the fans a chance to show their appreciation. It would be a class move by the Sox to make it happen

beasly213
06-02-2009, 09:39 AM
I don't get the whole "retiring with a team thing" anyway. Seems like an empty, forced gesture.

Agreed. When he retires he will be known as a member of the White Sox not as anything else anyway.

Steelrod
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I like it and hope it happens. It's a nice way send the big hurt into retirement and gives the fans a chance to show their appreciation. It would be a class move by the Sox to make it happen
Sounds to me like the invitation has already been made. The ball is now in Frank's court! He will probably make some pointless demand and kill it.

TommyJohn
06-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Listening to Mully and Hanley this am, they are talking about an article in the NW Herald where it was reported that Kenny and Jerry have talked to Frank about coming back when he is ready to hang it up, sign with the Sox,retire as a Sox, and get his statue and appropriate honors.

I am a huge Frank fan, and am glad to hear this. I hope it happens. I know Kenny and Frank have issues, but good to hear Kenny will not let that get in the way. Reinsdorf has always liked Frank and vice versa so it should happen.

It does piss me off to hear Mully and Hanley(especially) rip on Frank all morning. As they say, frankly,whiny media, I do not give a damn if Frank was not your best buddy in the locker room. Those of us who pay for tickets to the park,like to get value for our money,and Frank was the best value in baseball for a decade. When he came up, everybody stopped and watched.
Hanley is saying Frank did not want to let the fans watch batting practice...what I remember is Frank wanted to have bp before the visitors,and the gates did not open in time. Well, has that changed since Frank left? I doubt it. I suspect most of the team liked it that way ,but the media singled out Frank as the jerk who is shutting out the fans.

They are harping on his music business failure...who cares? Did he get arrested? Did he use steroids? That is all I care about.

Hanley is such a prick,and a certified Frank-hater..I expect that. Mully seems to be just like the Mariottis of the chicago media...thin-skinned.
Then they hammer Frank for the same thing. Yes, Frank was thin-skinned and not a perfect human being,but I did not go to the games to have a best friend, I wanted production on the field...and Frank was the greatest right-handed hitter in MLB history outside of maybe Foxx...so screw the media...welcome back Frank...make it happen,Kenny!

Hanley also annoyed me this morning when Mully brought up 2005. I guess Hanley must've been smirking or giggling because Mully made a self-deprecating "cowards and losers" remark that indicates that Hanley is one of those "living in the past" *******s. Tell you what, if you encourage Sox fans to quit living in the past-tear down Wrigely Field, the statue of Banks, and stop celebrating the anni of Lee Elia's tiresome tirade.

I am with you on Frank Thomas-I was a huge Frank fan and I never cared that he wasn't the media's best friend. That was their problem, not mine. I was just glad to have an elite hitter in a White Sox uniform. Who the hell cares if he whined or wasn't "Chicago Tough" (whatever the hell that means.) He got the job done. He was great to watch.

That being said, THIS is why a few weeks earlier I was doubting that he would make the Hall of Fame. First, he committed the ultimate sin of being a DH, thus upsetting the perfect purity of baseball as God created it on the 6th day. Second, the media remembers him as a meanie-weenie. He hurt their little feelings by not being what they wanted him to be. These factors will count against him.

ChiSoxFan81
06-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Sounds to me like the invitation has already been made. The ball is now in Frank's court! He will probably make some pointless demand and kill it.

I lol'd. Sure, Frank wasn't Mr. Congeniality, but he could mash the ball. The guy is a HOFer and the best hitter in Sox history. He WAS the Sox for a decade. I was hoping he'd get picked up by someone, but I doubt it will happen. If he could retire as a Sox, and mend some fences, that would be great moving forward.

voodoochile
06-02-2009, 11:01 AM

An empty forced gesture with meaning. I would bet if the Sox announced that Frank was going to don the uniform on such and such a date and sit on the bench for a day and even get a chance to PH possibly, the house would immediately sell out.

It's a gesture. They matter. No, it's not a huge issue and no it's not an important moment on a global scale, but like it or not, most Sox fans loved Frank and would love to see him retire as a Sox player. Personally, I wouldn't mind signing him on August 31 and letting him be a PH in September and then carry him into the playoffs just to be a possible PH for the pitchers in the WS... Wouldn't that be something? Frank getting a bat in late October when it really mattered...

Noneck
06-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Personally, I wouldn't mind signing him on August 31 and letting him be a PH in September and then carry him into the playoffs just to be a possible PH for the pitchers in the WS... Wouldn't that be something? Frank getting a bat in late October when it really mattered...

Carrying an aging, over the hill vet that was out of baseball for a year and can only DH or PH on a post season roster is not a smart decision.

soxfanreggie
06-02-2009, 11:18 AM
I am a-ok with doing this so he can retire with the team, even if it is as a "bench coach" for a game, or whatever we can do to get him in uniform one last time to hear Gene bellow "Number 35...FRANK THOMAS"

Over By There
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I am definitely all for this. Frank was the White Sox when I was growing up as a Sox fan, and I wholeheartedly welcome a gesture that welcomes him back to the Sox family for his retirement. Everything else is water under the bridge at this point - I look forward to seeing 35 up on the outfield wall. I think a day such as this would be a day to remember for Sox fans.

southside rocks
06-02-2009, 11:24 AM
An empty forced gesture with meaning. I would bet if the Sox announced that Frank was going to don the uniform on such and such a date and sit on the bench for a day and even get a chance to PH possibly, the house would immediately sell out.

It's a gesture. They matter. No, it's not a huge issue and no it's not an important moment on a global scale, but like it or not, most Sox fans loved Frank and would love to see him retire as a Sox player. Personally, I wouldn't mind signing him on August 31 and letting him be a PH in September and then carry him into the playoffs just to be a possible PH for the pitchers in the WS... Wouldn't that be something? Frank getting a bat in late October when it really mattered...

Totally agree. :D:

There will be a Frank Thomas statue on the concourse one day ... as there should be. As thrilled as Mariners fans were to welcome Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle, Sox fans would give the Big Hurt an equal ovation. I hope it happens.

And yes, I know that Junior is batting about .210 right now, and I know that Frank is running on empty. Both those guys left it all on the field day after day for the Mariners and White Sox respectively, and honoring that is what this would do.

NLaloosh
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Frank Thomas is probably my all-time favorite player but,forgive my ignorance, wouldn't this hurt a team that's fighting for a playoff berth ?

ChiSoxFan81
06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Totally agree. :D:

There will be a Frank Thomas statue on the concourse one day ... as there should be. As thrilled as Mariners fans were to welcome Ken Griffey Jr. back to Seattle, Sox fans would give the Big Hurt an equal ovation. I hope it happens.

And yes, I know that Junior is batting about .210 right now, and I know that Frank is running on empty. Both those guys left it all on the field day after day for the Mariners and White Sox respectively, and honoring that is what this would do.

It would be unbelievable if these two guys were in the same HOF class. I'm already planning my trip to Cooperstown for when Frank goes in.Frank Thomas is probably my all-time favorite player but,forgive my ignorance, wouldn't this hurt a team that's fighting for a playoff berth ?

This isn't about signing him to play. It's simply a gesture to allow him to retire as a Sox (or with any team for that matter, since he isn't playing now).

voodoochile
06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Carrying an aging, over the hill vet that was out of baseball for a year and can only DH or PH on a post season roster is not a smart decision.

Well they wouldn't have to carry him for the AL rounds, but could add him for the WS if they made it, provided he was signed by 8/31.

voodoochile
06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Frank Thomas is probably my all-time favorite player but,forgive my ignorance, wouldn't this hurt a team that's fighting for a playoff berth ?

Why?

rdwj
06-02-2009, 11:43 AM

No, they just shuffle the roster for a day. It will have zero impact

voodoochile
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
No, they just shuffle the roster for a day. It will have zero impact

In September after the rosters expand, it would be easy to do.

thomas35forever
06-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I think his playing days with the Sox are over, plus with Thome starting to mash the ball again, I don't think we need two DHs. However, signing a contract to retire with the team a la Emmitt Smith doesn't sound too shabby.

Red Barchetta
06-02-2009, 12:18 PM

I guess they could do something like that when the expand rosters in September, however I'm hoping the SOX are in contention then and bringing in a guy (even Frank) who hasn't faced live MLB pitching during a pennant chase would probably be a bad idea. The fan expectations would be too great and it might become a circus.

If Frank doesn't hook up with any team this season, I think it's only fair to consider his career over. At that point, I would welcome the idea of celebrating his career and having a "Frank Thomas Day" at the Cell next season. Hopefully, sometime in the late spring/summer when there is a smaller chance of bad weather ruining the moment. (Remember that horrible Halloween game at Soldier Field a few years ago on Monday night!) Planes crashing, etc.

NLaloosh
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
I read something where the idea was that Frank would hit his last home run as a White Sox. If that's the case they might have to play him 15 games. I think that would hurt the team.

If it's one game only then I understand.

palehozenychicty
06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I love #35 as much as anyone here, and hope that he gets a one-time deal done with the Sox. But he can't really play anymore.

spawn
06-02-2009, 01:09 PM
I love #35 as much as anyone here, and hope that he gets a one-time deal done with the Sox. But he can't really play anymore.
From the inital post, they said when he's ready to retire, he could sign with the White Sox so he could retire a member of the Sox. I don't think anyone is saying sign him to play. It says when he's ready to retire. Go back and read the initial post in this thread.

Noneck
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Well they wouldn't have to carry him for the AL rounds, but could add him for the WS if they made it, provided he was signed by 8/31.

Wonderful thought but having 2 players(Thomas, Thome) on a WS roster that can't play a position or run is not good.

hawkjt
06-02-2009, 01:37 PM
clear enough...this would be like a one day contract for Frank, who would then retire the next day as a Sox. No impact on this years team outside of a day with Frank on the bench,maybe, or just having to watch a ceremony at a Frank Thomas Day....thats it.

It's Time
06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Why is this in what's the score? We are discussing the greatest Sox hitter ever in what's the score?:scratch:

NLaloosh
06-02-2009, 02:20 PM
clear enough...this would be like a one day contract for Frank, who would then retire the next day as a Sox. No impact on this years team outside of a day with Frank on the bench,maybe, or just having to watch a ceremony at a Frank Thomas Day....thats it.

In that case, I'm all for it!:)

voodoochile
06-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Wonderful thought but having 2 players(Thomas, Thome) on a WS roster that can't play a position or run is not good.

Why, starters will be playing every game anyway... Having two huge bats to PH for pitchers late in NL parks would be great...

Bring in a Loogy, it's Frank

Bring in a Roogy, it's JT

Other team would have to pick their poison...

Edit: You also pick up at least one roster slot because the 5th starter becomes your long reliever.

voodoochile
06-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Why is this in what's the score? We are discussing the greatest Sox hitter ever in what's the score?:scratch:

Because it's just a rumor at this point in time...

Noneck
06-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Why, starters will be playing every game anyway... Having two huge bats to PH for pitchers late in NL parks would be great...

Bring in a Loogy, it's Frank

Bring in a Roogy, it's JT

A double switch situation arises and then its trouble. Having 1 player on a roster that can't play a position in a NL park is bad enough. Having 2
would never happen but is fun to think about getting that far.