PDA

View Full Version : Changes are coming

HBaines03
06-01-2009, 08:21 AM
The Sox are playing better baseball and have an important 5 games coming up, at home, against Detroit. I am curious on what or if the Sox make changes in 3 different areas of the team and would like opinions. The items and names discussed for each area are not my personal feelings but comments I have read on other sites.

1. Do the Sox make a change at 3rd base or do they stick it out with Josh Fields? They have promoted Beckham to AAA and he is playing 3rd base and there are also discussions of a potential for the Sox to go after Miguel Tejada (I don't like that). I personally hope they stay where they are and potentially move up Beckham.

2. With Quentin currently on the DL we have Dye, Podsednik, B. Anderson & Wise as our outfielders. Podsednik is playing well and has filled the leadoff role better than any other option we have tried. I think he has added a little spark to the offense right now. JD is playing like he usually does and that leaves Wise and Anderson. Anderson has earned the right to play in my opinion but what happens when Quentin comes back? I think they give Quentin additional time to heal if outfield play continues as it has. Does someone get sent down or released and who might it be?

3. Should the Sox wait to see what other teams do over the course of the next month before trying to make a deal for a frontline starter? I am thinking if a few teams start to falter the doors may open for potential high end pitching that wasn't there during the Peavy attempt. My thoughts are Toronto (Halladay) and maybe KC (Greinke). Not sure we have any real possibility with Greinke but Halladay I feel could be a possibility if Toronto falters. Peavy could still be a chance but only if SD falters and the Cubs and Brewers don't act. Other possibilities I have seen are Bedard (don't like) and Oswalt. Thoughts........

I appreciate the responses

esbrechtel
06-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Oswalt said publically that he would not accept a trade to the White Sox.

jabrch
06-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Fields has had a great week. He also started off hot for a few weeks. I think they are going to stick with him.

My guess is Wise goes and Pods stays. Not sure how the ABs will go, but I am guessing they will try and use Pods to get JD some more rest (BA to RF and Pods to CF?), make sure TCQ doesn't play too much, and protect BA from some of the tougher guys he'd have to face.

As much as I'd love to see them add a legit #1, I also wouldn't want to trade away Clayton and Poreda for a middle to back end guy. Oswalt has been unimpressive this year and the Score just reported that he wouldn't approve a trade here anyhow. Bedard, if healthy, is great. But he is only signed for this season. Would we really give up more than we offered for Peavy for Bedard? Halladay? I'd take him in a heartbeat...I just don't believe for one moment that Toronto is trading him.

mcm3312
06-01-2009, 09:18 AM
As ugly as his twinkle toe slap shot swing is, Scott Podsednik has played a large role in the recent Sox hot streak. With that being said he is obviously a huge downgrade to BA in center field. So, I ask you, assuming both players continue similar production, what does Ozzie do with the outfield when Carlos returns? Does he platoon them based on matchups? If so who leads off when BA plays....please don't tell me Getz

barryball
06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
You have to play PODS assuming TCQ can run with the bum foot. PODS has been a big part of our offensive success. I like BA but it seems he will never be much of a hitter and does not possess the lead-off skills PODS provides. I think we DFA Wise and keep BA as PODS is an upgrade on Wise as well.

:bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

NLaloosh
06-01-2009, 09:43 AM
You have to play PODS assuming TCQ can run with the bum foot. PODS has been a big part of our offensive success. I like BA but it seems he will never be much of a hitter and does not possess the lead-off skills PODS provides. I think we DFA Wise and keep BA as PODS is an upgrade on Wise as well.

:bandance::bandance::bandance: :bandance:

Exactly. I hope that it happens like this.

NLaloosh
06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I hope that KW does not make any big moves that either take on a huge salary or empty the farm.

I admire his willingness to do so but I don't think that one big move in any one area will substantially improve this team. I think that a couple of smaller moves might be all this team needs.

Besides, with this economy wouldn't it be better to wait for a desperate team that needs to unload a star for a bargain deal? Why be so aggressive that you're trying to lure players that don't want to play here or their team is not actively shopping? The Sox should not be the desperate ones.

mcm3312
06-01-2009, 09:50 AM
well if Quentin's foot isn't 100 percent better what about Pods in left, BA in center, and a platoon of Thome and Quentin at DH. Though I doubt Ozzie would ever do this it seems logical for a couple weeks while Carlos recovers

EnglishChiSox
06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
well if Quentin's foot isn't 100 percent better what about Pods in left, BA in center, and a platoon of Thome and Quentin at DH. Though I doubt Ozzie would ever do this it seems logical for a couple weeks while Carlos recovers

Vs Lefties Carlos may get a DH day when it would usually be given to Paulie but no way should the only LH power in the everyday lineup be platooning, If Carlos cannot play the field then he's not fully recovered from his injury and should stay on the DL. These things usually have a strange way of working themselves out ultimately.

Chez
06-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Assuming the Sox don't make a move before TCQ comes off the DL (and I don't think they will), it would not surprise me if Betemit, and not Wise, is DFA'd. I think you have to ride Pods until he cools off meaning a platoon in center with Anderson.

jabrch
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Assuming the Sox don't make a move before TCQ comes off the DL (and I don't think they will), it would not surprise me if Betemit, and not Wise, is DFA'd. I think you have to ride Pods until he cools off meaning a platoon in center with Anderson.

Don't we need Betemit to back up the CIs? If we cut Betemit, then all we have in the IF is Fields, Alexei, Getz, PK and Nix. Meanwhile we'd have BA, JD, Pods, Wise and TCQ. Who plays 1B if you need to sit or even pinch run for PK? I don't see us carrying 5 OF and 5 IF.

hawkjt
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Vs Lefties Carlos may get a DH day when it would usually be given to Paulie but no way should the only LH power in the everyday lineup be platooning, If Carlos cannot play the field then he's not fully recovered from his injury and should stay on the DL. These things usually have a strange way of working themselves out ultimately.

Right now, Thome, Pods and Fields are hot. If that continues, I will be estatic and we will have some decisions to make. But that is at least a couple weeks away. As you say, stuff usually works out...someone will get hurt, or go cold. Carlos needs to rest until he is 100%..no more fooling around with that foot. Josh has a seven game hitting streak and just needs to keep it going and third base is fine. DWise can platoon with BA this homestand in center and he needs to show he can give us some good lefty hitting. BA is on the team no matter what..but could ultimately platoon with Pods/Wise vs many rightys. I like having options out there.

As far as a deal for a pitcher...screw Oswald and Peavy. Lets see if Clayton can build on his 3 start,3 earned run,3-0 streak the next two starts. I believe in this kid. If Bart handles his stuff, and Jose gives us a good start vs the tigers, we are operating from a position of strength in terms of trading. Right now, I like our rotation. Sure, Peavy would have strengthened it,but not dramatically..just by degrees. If Peavy had come in, given us 3 wins on 3 earned runs in 20 innings, fans would have said he is the ultimate difference maker. Well, we got that without giving up major chips and spending 16 million/yr the next 4 years....so yes, their will be some guys on the market that are attractive,but with every strong outing by our rotation, Kenny can drive a harder bargain. My only concern is that the Twins or Tigers might make a big move...as long as we match what they do, I am fine.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I hope that KW does not make any big moves that either take on a huge salary or empty the farm.

I admire his willingness to do so but I don't think that one big move in any one area will substantially improve this team. I think that a couple of smaller moves might be all this team needs.

Besides, with this economy wouldn't it be better to wait for a desperate team that needs to unload a star for a bargain deal? Why be so aggressive that you're trying to lure players that don't want to play here or their team is not actively shopping? The Sox should not be the desperate ones.

Let's face it, the Sox are not a popular choice out there for players to come here and play. The Sox have to be ahead of everyone else and aggresive in order to try to get a difference maker in here. You can't wait to get in a bidding war with the Red Sox/Yankees/etc.

The Sox SHOULD be the desperate ones.

Chez
06-01-2009, 10:42 AM
Don't we need Betemit to back up the CIs? If we cut Betemit, then all we have in the IF is Fields, Alexei, Getz, PK and Nix. Meanwhile we'd have BA, JD, Pods, Wise and TCQ. Who plays 1B if you need to sit or even pinch run for PK? I don't see us carrying 5 OF and 5 IF.

I thought of that before I posted. Nix could back-up Fields but getting rid of Betemit would leave us without a back-up at first (other than Thome). I just get the feeling that Betemit is in Ozzie's doghouse and may be the one to go. You also could live without Jimmy Gobble, but with interleague road games coming up, the Sox probably want to keep 12 pitchers.

eriqjaffe
06-01-2009, 11:04 AM
I thought of that before I posted. Nix could back-up Fields but getting rid of Betemit would leave us without a back-up at first (other than Thome). I just get the feeling that Betemit is in Ozzie's doghouse and may be the one to go. You also could live without Jimmy Gobble, but with interleague road games coming up, the Sox probably want to keep 12 pitchers.The Sox do have Daryle Ward hanging out in Charlotte, and he could fill that backup 1B / corner OF slot. He's no great shakes, but I can't imagine him being any more of a defensive liability than Betemit.

cws05champ
06-01-2009, 11:12 AM
The Sox do have Daryle Ward hanging out in Charlotte, and he could fill that backup 1B / corner OF slot. He's no great shakes, but I can't imagine him being any more of a defensive liability than Betemit.
Daryle Ward .....:kukoo:

soxinem1
06-01-2009, 11:15 AM
All the more reason that KW should have went after Frank Catallanotto.

While definitely not the best defensive option out there, he is sure better in ever facet than Betemit (hard to believe he was ever a SS) with some proven pop to boot. Nix could then back up 2B, SS, and 3B. That would have been pretty solid.

And now that we have a better backup catcher than we've had in a LONG time, it might be better to find another LHP for the pen. Being able to rest AJ more frequently will keep him fresh down the stretch.

But the bullpen roles seem to be defining themselves more in the past few weeks. Dotel, Thornton, Linebrink, and Jenks have set themselves in a nice little groove lately, and Carrasco has saved the bullpen on several occasions already.

kobo
06-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Let's face it, the Sox are not a popular choice out there for players to come here and play.
Why not? And what is the basis for this assumption? Because Peavy turned down a deal to come here? Because Oswalt has said he wouldn't come here? That's 2 guys with NTC's, they have every right to say no to the White Sox, doesn't mean players don't want to come here.

voodoochile
06-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Stick with Fields for another month. Don't want to rush Beckham and end of June is a fast jump to the majors anyway. If Fields stays hot, the question becomes moot and Beckham can either take over for Getz (if he falters) or spend the year in AAA making sure he is ready. That would be the best thing because having too much talent is never a bad thing and it would mean Getz or Fields would be good tradebait which would improve the chances of landing a stud pitcher or even CF.

Pods/BA is the burning question, but if Pods keeps doing what he's doing as a leadoff hitter, he has to get the majority of the PT, IMO. I agree, TCQ should be given plenty of time to heal and plenty of rest time once he does. No need to rush him if the team keeps hitting and coming home to Chicago as the weather warms up should be great for Dye, PK and JT. There's even the chance that TCM and Fields will start to jack a few too.

I'd never wait to make a trade for a top 2 starter if the price is right and the logisitcs can be worked out. Top of the rotation pitchers are how you win championships. I wouldn't sell the farm to get one, but I'd trade Poreda and Richard in a heartbeat. Like I said earlier if both Getz and Fields prove to be keepers and Beckham ends up being too good to keep at AAA, then the trade becomes easier to make and maybe doesn't cost Poreda. I mean Richard, BA and Getz (for example) is a heck of a lot of MLB ready talent to be offering provided they all continue to perform well and should bring some kind of solid return.

voodoochile
06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Why not? And what is the basis for this assumption? Because Peavy turned down a deal to come here? Because Oswalt has said he wouldn't come here? That's 2 guys with NTC's, they have every right to say no to the White Sox, doesn't mean players don't want to come here.

They are both NL pitchers too, which normally means they want to stay there...

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 11:26 AM

Is it by accident that those 2 are perhaps the best starting pitching options that are available right now?

Both have said no IMO because:

1) they don't think we are ready to win this year (which I think it's nonesense)
2) they just don't like management here (from JR to Ozzie).
3) they hate our ballpark when it comes to pitching.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
They are both NL pitchers too, which normally means they want to stay there...

MLB is going to have to even the playing field here soon and either remove the DH or add it to one of the leagues.

It makes no sense to have interleague baseball and the playing field not being even.

This is why IMO the NL is so much weaker and "pitcher friendly" than the AL.

southside rocks
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM

1) they don't think we are ready to win this year (which I think it's nonesense)

And your opinion is based on what, exactly? Anything more than the fact that both players said 'no thanks' to a trade to the Sox?

You don't think it could have anything to do with the fact that Peavy and his family reside in San Diege; and Oswalt was born and currently resides with his family in Mississippi; and neither of those locales are (a) anywhere near Chicago or (b) cold in the fall/winter/spring?

Maybe they both really do want to stay in the NL, where they play a slightly different style of baseball? Maybe they don't want to face DHs, or they want to keep playing NL ball?

Maybe they don't want to spend the first 6 weeks of the season in a city and park where it's cold and even snowy, when they don't have to because they can pick and choose where they go?

Or maybe that's just how I would feel if I were one of those two pitchers.

Domeshot17
06-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Is it by accident that those 2 are perhaps the best starting pitching options that are available right now?

I think the other underlying factor is both are in the same boat in 1 area. They each have probably 1 more BIG contract after their deals expire. Pitchers of that Calibur tend to not want to be journemen, and they know they aren't getting the big payday here. I mean, it is tough, we are talking to 2 guys who are comfortable where they are, Oswalt I think a few years ago said hed retire before leaving Houston, and even with this recent surge our 24 wins are 5th lowest in the AL. There really isn't 1 STRONG reason for a pitcher to accept a trade here, especially right now.

voodoochile
06-01-2009, 11:37 AM
MLB is going to have to even the playing field here soon and either remove the DH or add it to one of the leagues.

It makes no sense to have interleague baseball and the playing field not being even.

Of course it is. The DH extends careers, but if your bat is good enough most teams will find a place for you to play. It's made it easier for teams to move players to first base instead of living with them in LF for example - think Dave Kingman.

The players union will never allow them to do away with the DH because it's a pretty well paid position (Jim Thome for example). That may drop a bit as the instance of PED users declines, but it still won't ever become a minimum wage job for the most part. Odds are the NL eventually adopts it after getting tired of getting their lunch handed to them in the WS by teams with more big bats...

soxinem1
06-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Of course it is. The DH extends careers, but if your bat is good enough most teams will find a place for you to play. It's made it easier for teams to move players to first base instead of living with them in LF for example - think Dave Kingman.

The players union will never allow them to do away with the DH because it's a pretty well paid position (Jim Thome for example). That may drop a bit as the instance of PED users declines, but it still won't ever become a minimum wage job for the most part. Odds are the NL eventually adopts it after getting tired of getting their lunch handed to them in the WS by teams with more big bats...

But won't that upset the 'baseball purist and traditionalist' in you?

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 11:44 AM

If you only knew how much it sickens me to watch NL pitchers pick up a piece of lumber which they call a bat.

Their 3-4 pitch ABs are the most useless 2 minutes of any sporting even, ever.

Purists can kiss my ass.

voodoochile
06-01-2009, 11:44 AM

:D:

Never did get why purists enjoy seeing a guy like Getz get an IBB so the other team can pitch to the pitcher.

palehozenychicty
06-01-2009, 11:48 AM

I think if anything, the National League will add the DH. In a perfect world, I want it gone.

Craig Grebeck
06-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Could we please place a moratorium on any speculation about the Royals trading Zack Greinke? Are people really that stupid?

TomBradley72
06-01-2009, 12:01 PM

If you're a National League pitcher who holds all the cards (ie. No trade clause), it's not surprising that some of them don't want to a) come to the American League, and b) come to one of the most hitter friendly parks in the AL. That's just the way it is with multi-millionaires who do not have to settle for less than the perfect scenario.

It will take a run of a few more World Series appearances for us to overcome that.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 12:30 PM
I think if anything, the National League will add the DH. In a perfect world, I want it gone.

Really?

You enjoy watching over-matched pitchers at the dish?

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2009, 12:33 PM
If you only knew how much it sickens me to watch NL pitchers pick up a piece of lumber which they call a bat.

Their 3-4 pitch ABs are the most useless 2 minutes of any sporting even, ever.

Purists can kiss my ass.

:cool::gulp:

doublem23
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Really?

You enjoy watching over-matched pitchers at the dish?

The problem is that every minor league has a DH, so National League pitchers literally could go years between having to bat in a meaningful game situation. That's hard to shake.

Because I'm an American League fanboy, I'd prefer to see both leagues adopt the DH, but I'd take a non-DH AL over the current format. At least then MiLB leagues would likely go back to having the pitchers bat, so at least these guys wouldn't be so miserably unprepared by the time they reached the Majors. As painful as it is watching pitchers bat 90% of the time, it's made up for the excitement of watching a pitcher lay into a fastball and rip it to the gap for a double. That's so awesome.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 01:14 PM
The problem is that every minor league has a DH, so National League pitchers literally could go years between having to bat in a meaningful game situation. That's hard to shake.

Because I'm an American League fanboy, I'd prefer to see both leagues adopt the DH, but I'd take a non-DH AL over the current format. At least then MiLB leagues would likely go back to having the pitchers bat, so at least these guys wouldn't be so miserably unprepared by the time they reached the Majors. As painful as it is watching pitchers bat 90% of the time, it's made up for the excitement of watching a pitcher lay into a fastball and rip it to the gap for a double. That's so awesome.

You know what excites me? Watching Frank Thomas or Jim Thome hit 40 tape measured shots every season. That excites me.

ML Starting Pitchers cost way too much money to have a season ending injury doing something they are not good at. ML pitchers have the most workload on defense of any of the 9 guys on the field. Catchers being the next one.

Tragg
06-01-2009, 02:30 PM

I agree with this. Rents, paying premium prices in terms of farm talent or veterans simply is not a winning formula anymore. It simply isn't.

Had the "Trade the world for AJ Burnett" crowd gotten their way in 2005, it likely would have cost us a world championship..

Ramirez and Sabathia were had for a renters' price...cheaper, frankly, than what Williams gave up for Wilson Betemit.

Fields will hit. He may need to learn another position - first base perhaps. Certainly don't give him away.

DSpivack
06-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Am I the only one who actually likes having a difference like that between the two leagues?

CashMan
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Am I the only one who actually likes having a difference like that between the two leagues?

No! I think you have the Big Boy pitchers in the AL who pitch to a DHs.

JB98
06-01-2009, 03:28 PM
The Sox are playing better baseball and have an important 5 games coming up, at home, against Detroit. I am curious on what or if the Sox make changes in 3 different areas of the team and would like opinions. The items and names discussed for each area are not my personal feelings but comments I have read on other sites.

1. Do the Sox make a change at 3rd base or do they stick it out with Josh Fields? They have promoted Beckham to AAA and he is playing 3rd base and there are also discussions of a potential for the Sox to go after Miguel Tejada (I don't like that). I personally hope they stay where they are and potentially move up Beckham.

2. With Quentin currently on the DL we have Dye, Podsednik, B. Anderson & Wise as our outfielders. Podsednik is playing well and has filled the leadoff role better than any other option we have tried. I think he has added a little spark to the offense right now. JD is playing like he usually does and that leaves Wise and Anderson. Anderson has earned the right to play in my opinion but what happens when Quentin comes back? I think they give Quentin additional time to heal if outfield play continues as it has. Does someone get sent down or released and who might it be?

3. Should the Sox wait to see what other teams do over the course of the next month before trying to make a deal for a frontline starter? I am thinking if a few teams start to falter the doors may open for potential high end pitching that wasn't there during the Peavy attempt. My thoughts are Toronto (Halladay) and maybe KC (Greinke). Not sure we have any real possibility with Greinke but Halladay I feel could be a possibility if Toronto falters. Peavy could still be a chance but only if SD falters and the Cubs and Brewers don't act. Other possibilities I have seen are Bedard (don't like) and Oswalt. Thoughts........

I appreciate the responses

1. Stick it out with Fields. He's shown signs of life on the road trip, and this is the year where the organization needs to find out once and for all whether he's a long-term solution at third base.

2. Send down the 12th pitcher when Quentin comes off the DL. Ozzie is using only 10 pitchers regularly, and the team can get by with an 11-man staff. Due to the injury history of Quentin and Pods, I'm loathe to DFA Wise -- because the other outfield options in our minor-league system are not good and we might get caught with our pants down if one of our injury-prone big-leaguers gets hurt again.

3. You can never have too much pitching, and I would be open to any deal that brings another starter to the South Side. I'd like to see us add a veteran outfielder to come off the bench. Doesn't have to be a great player. Just a guy who is better than Wise, who can start once or twice a week.

doublem23
06-01-2009, 04:31 PM
You know what excites me? Watching Frank Thomes or Jim Thome hit 40 tape measured shots every season. That excites me.

ML Starting Pitchers cost way too much money to have a season ending injury doing something they are not good at. ML pitchers have the most workload on defense of any of the 9 guys on the field. Catchers being the next one.

I get that, but there's an underdog feeling watching a guy barely hitting .100 connect for an extra base hit at a big moment.

voodoochile
06-01-2009, 04:47 PM
I get that, but there's an underdog feeling watching a guy barely hitting .100 connect for an extra base hit at a big moment.

But really how often do they even get that chance? I mean most of the time if it's a "big moment" then the pitcher gets pulled for a PH. The most you can hope for is that in the first 6 innings he gets a chance to drive in a run or two and succeeds. Even more likely that he lays down a good bunt and that gives the next guy a chance to drive in some runs and none of that is worth watching the opposing team repeatedly walk the slick fielding second baseman who bats 8th due to his .220 BA and .675 OPS...

everafan
06-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Oswalt said publically that he would not accept a trade to the White Sox.

No. A reporter that did not name his source, reported that. Not saying it's untrue, but we haven't heard from Oswalt in this yet.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 04:55 PM
But really how often do they even get that chance? I mean most of the time if it's a "big moment" then the pitcher gets pulled for a PH. The most you can hope for is that in the first 6 innings he gets a chance to drive in a run or two and succeeds. Even more likely that he lays down a good bunt and that gives the next guy a chance to drive in some runs and none of that is worth watching the opposing team repeatedly walk the slick fielding second baseman who bats 8th due to his .220 BA and .675 OPS...

I think for the good of the game, add excitement, even the playing field..... you have to get the DH into the NL.

It also handcuffs many teams of being able to make trades to unload an expensive bat no glove guy because you only have 1/2 the league you can trade him to.

Soriano, C Lee, A Dunn .... none of those guys should be wearing a baseball glove the rest of their careers. It's a joke.

34 Inch Stick
06-01-2009, 05:42 PM

Nothing like watching Dewayne Wise come to bat.

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2009, 05:53 PM

Too soon?

doublem23
06-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Exactly. Don't you all remember how you feel when Wise gets a hit? I get all tingly.