PDA

View Full Version : Today is June 1

doublem23
06-01-2009, 05:20 AM
... and the team with the best record in the American League?

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/RangersLogo.gif

If anyone saw this coming, by all means, now is the time to gloat.

WSox597
06-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Most would have said No Way, including myself if told that in April.

Not with that pitching, would have been the thought.

"That's why they play the games" as the cliche goes.

DumpJerry
06-01-2009, 07:17 AM
You probably won't see any postings in this thread from the local sports media.

They are in shock over the Cubs being in FOURTH PLACE and having more than five losses on their record. It would be fun in October if they replay all those tapes of "the question is not will the Cubs win the NL Central, but by how much?" conversations they held.

NLaloosh
06-01-2009, 09:04 AM
I know. I was going to post this. It's unbelievable - to me.

Detroit's pitching and their record is also unbelievable to me. Edwin Jackson? Wow. This is what makes me feel good about our Sox team. Minny and Cleveland have plenty of problems and I still don't fear Detroit.

We'll see. I think when Q is healthy and either Fields plays better or Becks comes up this team will be fine. I mean we actually have a legit 6th starter with Contreras.

I'm feeling pretty good right now - especially if they can take 3 of 4 from Oak.

FloridaTigers
06-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Detroit's pitching and their record is also unbelievable to me. Edwin Jackson? Wow. This is what makes me feel good about our Sox team. Minny and Cleveland have plenty of problems and I still don't fear Detroit.

You don't fear Detroit because the Sox have our number. Its getting tiring as a Tigers fan that the White Sox walk all over us. Aside from that, the Tigers have the pitching to go far.

doublem23
06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
You don't fear Detroit because the Sox have our number. Its getting tiring as a Tigers fan that the White Sox walk all over us. Aside from that, the Tigers have the pitching to go far.

A lot of here, myself included, defintely underestimated how good the Tigers pitching would be, but you're right, the Sox have been very successful against Detroit over the years, so that makes me feel good. Put it this way, the Sox will be at Detroit for the final series of the season. I feel much better about that than I would their last series being in the Metrodome.

FloridaTigers
06-01-2009, 09:35 AM
A lot of here, myself included, defintely underestimated how well the Tigers pitching would be, but you're right, the Sox have been very successful against Detroit over the years, so that makes me feel good. Put it this way, the Sox will be at Detroit for the final series of the season. I feel much better about that than I would their last series being in the Metrodome.

I feel better about facing the Sox at home than the Twins at the dome too. Don't we all? :D:

I didn't expect pitching to be this good after last season. I don't think any Tigers fans saw the emergence of Edwin Jackson. I thought Porcello would be at-best a decent #5, but he's gone well above that for a 5-0, 1.50 ERA in May. Even the back end of the rotation is better than most. Galarraga has struggled, but his last outing was promising, and Dontrelle will eat innings. I feel better about our pitching than say Cleveland or Chicago, but it'll probably be a dogfight to the end as always

hawkjt
06-01-2009, 09:39 AM
Texas and the Tigers are the positive surprises so far. Angels have disapointed. Everybody else is about where we thought in the AL.
But, Texas has to prove they can play in the heat of summer and remain a contender. The Tigers are pretty solid,but I doubt they can run away with it. Twins,Tigers and Sox probably will battle all summer,imo. Should be fun.

ChiSoxFan81
06-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Texas and the Tigers are the positive surprises so far. Angels have disapointed. Everybody else is about where we thought in the AL.
But, Texas has to prove they can play in the heat of summer and remain a contender. The Tigers are pretty solid,but I doubt they can run away with it. Twins,Tigers and Sox probably will battle all summer,imo. Should be fun.

Interesting that the Rangers are playing only a handfull of day games at home this year, all on Sundays, and 3 of those are in September. They won't be playing out in the sun all summer.

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
The Tigers you knew had the talent to surprise people.

It's amazing how a good a team can get when they have a reliable back end of the bullpen.

Until the Twins find someone to get the ball to Nathan, they are toast.

This is why we have as good a chance as anyone to go far because we have 3 guys that can get the ball to Bobby.

captainclutch24
06-01-2009, 11:22 AM
The Yankees are in first place in the AL East.

hi im skot
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
The Yankees are in first place in the AL East.

Ok.

BleacherBandit
06-01-2009, 12:47 PM
... and the team with the best record in the American League?

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/RangersLogo.gif

If anyone saw this coming, by all means, now is the time to gloat.

The 1984-1993 Texas Rangers? Do they have time travel? :redneck

PKalltheway
06-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I don't know about you, but I really think that the year the Tigers had last year was similar to the Sox's horrendous 2007. Just a year where everything went wrong. With the way things look this year, I really believe that the Tigers are here to stay.

Hopefully for my case if the Sox stay in it, it should have the makings of a fun race this summer.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2009, 04:33 PM
The 1984-1993 Texas Rangers? Do they have time travel? :redneck

I do love that logo.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-01-2009, 05:34 PM
I don't know about you, but I really think that the year the Tigers had last year was similar to the Sox's horrendous 2007. Just a year where everything went wrong. With the way things look this year, I really believe that the Tigers are here to stay.

Hopefully for my case if the Sox stay in it, it should have the makings of a fun race this summer.

The Tigers have been following the plot line of the Sox since 2006 (though with less success :cool:). Based on what happened to the Sox last year, I think the Tigers will have good pitching from their young starters (Porcello and Galarraga), anchored by their veteran (Verlander). The offense will be up and down, relying too heavily on aging sluggers (Ordonez). In the end they will win the division by a game, but lose in the first round of the playoffs.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2009, 05:46 PM
I hope those Rangers enjoy it while it lasts.

Jogurt
06-02-2009, 11:26 AM
The Rangers will last as long as their pitching does. No doubt they will hit all year.

I've been to a few of their games down here and they have been fun to watch (well not the two games they beat the Sox but it would have been fun against anyone else)

So far they have had steady pitching from Feldman, Millwood, and McCarthy (the rest of the rotation is a mess), and their bullpen has been good with O'Day, Francisco, and Wilson.
None of those guys were better than mediocre last year.
You do get the feeling the pitching won't last forever if for no other reason than it's starting to get damn hot down here.