PDA

View Full Version : Advice for my 7 year-old and getting autographs

1400 S. State
05-31-2009, 12:20 PM
This might seem like a ridiculous post, but help me for a minute.

I have been bringing my 7 yo to the Cell since he was 5. I doubt he has remembered too much other than time spent with Dad. Well, this year, the kid is just nuts about playing baseball and watching the Sox. Instead of just getting in the building this year in the upper deck for our annual game, we have seats in 118. He wants to get players autographs (because of the movie Sandlot, I presume). I have never been an autograph seeker and will not begin at age 37. I do want him to have some fun trying to get autographs from the players.

Help me out here. Does anyone have any advice? Is it easy? When should we get there? Do I physically move adults that are in his way?:tongue:

Thanks everyone.

StillMissOzzie
05-31-2009, 12:34 PM
The Sox still do Kids Day on most, if not all, Sunday day games, and according to the promotional schedule (see linky below), they still sign autographs on those Sundays.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=cws&y=2009

SMO
:gulp:

soltrain21
05-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Get there early and stand on the baseline by the Sox dugout. I've seen Gavin Floyd signing autographs over there on a bunch of occasions.

1400 S. State
05-31-2009, 12:39 PM
Thanks so far. We will be there June 4th for the A's, so the Kid's Days are out. I did see that on the official site and thanks for the info.

southside rocks
05-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Do I physically move adults that are in his way?:tongue:

You might try asking them nicely to move, first, and let them see your little guy. Contrary to many media reports, the attendees at the Cell are on the whole quite well-mannered and respond well to civility. :tongue:

Seriously, I have sat near the autograph area (down the third-base line) many times, and I always see the little kids get shown to the front, where they can reach over the rail and hand their paper to the players on the field. I would be very surprised if any adults were such jerks as to block your son's access.

Teenagers, those are another question. Might want to bring a snare pole with you just in case. :redneck

1400 S. State
05-31-2009, 01:37 PM
You might try asking them nicely to move, first, and let them see your little guy. Contrary to many media reports, the attendees at the Cell are on the whole quite well-mannered and respond well to civility. :tongue:

Seriously, I have sat near the autograph area (down the third-base line) many times, and I always see the little kids get shown to the front, where they can reach over the rail and hand their paper to the players on the field. I would be very surprised if any adults were such jerks as to block your son's access.

Teenagers, those are another question. Might want to bring a snare pole with you just in case. :redneck

Agreed 100% on the fans at the Cell. I have never experienced anything negative in my numerous trips, and I am up with the upper deck folks (the ones who are not allowed to interact with others....:angry:)

My "adults" comment was more so pointed at any adults who take pleasure in getting the signatures of other adults for profit.

I am so excited to be in the lower bowl for this game.

jabrch
05-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Here's my suggestion...call Guest Relations. Tell them your situation. Ask if they can facilitate having any player or coach just stop by. Tell them you are willing to come early, and that it is just for your kid. They may or may not be accomodating. If you know a ST holder, that might help also. They are more accomodating to big $ ST holders sometimes.

TDog
05-31-2009, 02:07 PM
... My "adults" comment was more so pointed at any adults who take pleasure in getting the signatures of other adults for profit. ...

I mostly (almost exclusively since July 2003 and from 1978 to 2000) see the Sox on the road, so I really can't comment on the Cell. But what I've seen in many parks is adults using young children to get their autographs for profit.

MarySwiss
05-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Agreed 100% on the fans at the Cell. I have never experienced anything negative in my numerous trips, and I am up with the upper deck folks (the ones who are not allowed to interact with others....:angry:)

My "adults" comment was more so pointed at any adults who take pleasure in getting the signatures of other adults for profit.

I am so excited to be in the lower bowl for this game.
I can't speak to the situation at the Cell, but at Spring Training, I have seen "adults" elbow kids out of the way. As you said, they're often looking to sell the autographs; I've even heard some of them talking about it.

I've thrown a hip check or two to get a kid his chance, but let's hope you don't need to. IMO, you definitely should give Jabrch's suggestion a whirl.

salty99
05-31-2009, 04:22 PM
The last few years it seems like less and less Sox players sign at home games. I know before games the guys out in the bullpen will also sign above the pen. Alot more visitors sign over by their dugout.

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Try using common sense.

;)

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2009, 06:42 PM
It seems much easier at road games than away games. I was easily able to get the autographs of Man Soo Lee, Don Cooper, Mike MacDougal, and Jon Garland all in the matter of 3 minutes at a road game I attended. I wouldn't even try at home games. The congestion around the dugout just seems like too much.

You MAY be able to get an autograph or two by the dugout, though. Good luck!

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2009, 06:46 PM
This thread reminds me of going to games five years back and hearing little kids yelling "CARLOS!" as the bullpen catcher was jogging back to the pen.

chisoxfanatic
06-01-2009, 06:53 PM
This thread reminds me of going to games five years back and hearing little kids yelling "CARLOS!" as the bullpen catcher was jogging back to the pen.
I miss Man Soo Lee. He always had a smile on his face and greeted EVERY fan with a high level of respect, making everyone feel valued.

Rohan
06-01-2009, 06:54 PM
This might seem like a ridiculous post, but help me for a minute.

I have been bringing my 7 yo to the Cell since he was 5. I doubt he has remembered too much other than time spent with Dad. Well, this year, the kid is just nuts about playing baseball and watching the Sox. Instead of just getting in the building this year in the upper deck for our annual game, we have seats in 118. He wants to get players autographs (because of the movie Sandlot, I presume). I have never been an autograph seeker and will not begin at age 37. I do want him to have some fun trying to get autographs from the players.

Help me out here. Does anyone have any advice? Is it easy? When should we get there? Do I physically move adults that are in his way?:tongue:

Thanks everyone.

Look cute :D:

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2009, 06:59 PM
I always had best luck at Wrigley after the Crosstown Classic game when I was younger. The Sox would come right out and most of them were pretty good about signing stuff.

Got a Frank Thomas autograph outside of Wrigley.

Carolina Kenny
06-01-2009, 08:09 PM
My suggestion is to tell your child not to collect autographs. Figure out the reasons on your own why its a stupid pursuit.

Brian26
06-01-2009, 08:19 PM
My suggestion is to tell your child not to collect autographs. Figure out the reasons on your own why its a stupid pursuit.

What an ignorant-ass comment. A lot of people here enjoy collecting graphs, myself included. If it brings a 7-year old closer to the game, all the better.

Ron Karkovice
06-01-2009, 08:51 PM
What an ignorant-ass comment. A lot of people here enjoy collecting graphs, myself included. If it brings a 7-year old closer to the game, all the better.

Exactly. I remember getting the greatest feeling when I was a foot away from the big hurt getting an autograph.

Nelfox02
06-01-2009, 10:37 PM

this is an extremely ignorant comment, just because you dont enjoy this hobby does not make it stupid.

As for collecting autographs, as a autograph hunter of 20 years I have noticed it is harder and harder to get free autographs at the ball park, or anywhere else, there is just too much $ in it for the players and memorabilia dealers these days. Card shows tend to be over priced and charity events (like Sox Fest) tend to get over croweded. It is a pricey event, but I highly recommend the annual pic nic in the park event held each summer by the Sox. You will pretty much have a chance to meet every player on the team, get an autograph, and get a ball park dinner, fireworks, and chance to run around the field, hang out in the dugout etc. Great fun for a kid the age of your son

1400 S. State
06-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Yes, because every 7 yo should be a cynic.

As you can tell by my starting this thread that I have no idea how to go about this because it was not a big deal to me, ever, as a kid.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-02-2009, 04:19 AM

Wow, what a dumb and ignorant remark to make in a thread about a guy trying to make his kid happy and asking for advice to do so.

ChiSoxFan81
06-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Totally uncalled for. IMO, it's a stupid pursuit for adults trying to sell them for profit. I don't quite understand how there is even a market for autographs. To me, if I don't acquire an autograph personally, it means nothing. Let the kids have their fun.

buckdharma
06-02-2009, 11:04 AM
You don't get to see much BP at home. At away games, you stand out because you wear Sox garb and you can see their entire warm up. My son got Gavin and AJ to sign a ball in Tampa. He also got one signed by Quentin, AJ, Thome, Konerko, Ozzie, BA (it helps to know a personal friend of AJ). Try your network of friends.

06-02-2009, 11:11 AM
When I was a 7 year old kid I used to love collecting baseball players autographs.

I collected and still have over 100 autographed baseball cards.

The way I got mine was to send the card with a self addressed stamped envelope to the team with ATTN: Players Name on the bottom left corner of the sending envelope.

I know many things have changed over the past 21 years so I don't know how receptive the players are to this anymore. I would write a personalized letter for each and include the baseball card.

Once some time ticked by I would start getting signed cards back in the mail after a few weeks. I sent a ton of them out there so I was getting something every few days after awhile. Sometimes they would even include extras like schedules and team stickers. This was super exciting to a 7 year old.

So for the price of a few baseball card packs, a sheet of stamps and some envelopes, you can get your kid busy and writing and doing something fun.

Worth a shot at least.

twinslayer
06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
When I was a 7 year old kid I used to love collecting baseball players autographs.

The way I got mine was to send the card with a self addressed stamped envelope to the team with ATTN: Players Name on the bottom left corner of the sending envelope.

I know many things have changed over the past 21 years so I don't know how receptive the players are to this anymore. I would write a personalized letter for each and include the baseball card.

Once some time ticked by I would start getting signed cards back in the mail after a few weeks. I sent a ton of them out there so I was getting something every few days after awhile. Sometimes they would even include extras like schedules and team stickers. This was super exciting to a 7 year old.

So for the price of a few baseball card packs, a sheet of stamps and some envelopes, you can get your kid busy and writing and doing something fun.

Worth a shot at least.

That's a good idea; my little cousin is into it, maybe I should get him to try this.

ChiSoxFan81
06-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Worth a shot at least.

I also used to do this as a kid. Like you said, the market has gotten so filled with greedy adults, that I don't know how often this works anymore. Usually, the lesser-known players will be more likely to respond. I got reprinted autos from guys like Jim Kelly and Michael Jordan (understandable), likely sent out by a staffer, but at least it was something. I remember that Alex Fernandez sent back his card with an autograph. Also, I sent a Beckett magazine to David Robinson, and he actually autographed it and sent it back. He's pure class, all the way.

1400 S. State
06-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I like all of the replies, except for one.

I like the idea of sending something in to the players like the "old" days.

if my kid can't get anything at the game, we'll try that approach. I just hope does, for his sake.

Another thing...we will be riding the train in from Galesburg just for the day, so you know what this seven year wants to do for fun other than the game? Eat in Chinatown. Kind of odd, yet fun. He likes to explore when he goes somewhere. That is a good trait to have.

Sorry, don't mean to brag about my kid.

southside rocks
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM

Worth a shot at least.

I have done this several times over the past 3 years, and I'm no kid. :D:

I got back sigs from:

AJ Pierzynski, on a newspaper article about why he's booed so much;
Bobby Jenks, on a newspaper article about his consecutive-outs streak;
Brian Anderson, on a newspaper photo of him bashing a double off of Kenny Rogers at the Cell;
Mark Buehrle, on a printout of the pitch-by-pitch of his no-hitter;
and Carl Skanberg, on a Palehose6 strip

All of those are framed and hanging in my back porch along with the front pages from the 2005 World Series.

The only player who did NOT return my photo request was Joe Crede in April 2008.

I mail the stuff to the player at the Cell, when I know the team is in town, and I enclose a SASE. I also put a polite fan note in the request.

This season I want to get JD's autograph.

hi im skot
06-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I also used to do this as a kid. Like you said, the market has gotten so filled with greedy adults, that I don't know how often this works anymore. Usually, the lesser-known players will be more likely to respond. I got reprinted autos from guys like Jim Kelly and Michael Jordan (understandable), likely sent out by a staffer, but at least it was something. I remember that Alex Fernandez sent back his card with an autograph. Also, I sent a Beckett magazine to David Robinson, and he actually autographed it and sent it back. He's pure class, all the way.

I did this a lot, too. David Robinson signed a card for me. Ron Harper was another one who replied with an autograph.

I didn't have much luck with baseball players through the mail; most of mine came from Sox Fest and Kids Day. I met Frank at Kids Day in 1995, which at the time was perhaps the highlight of my life.

Road trips, as others have mentioned, were also good for me. I collected autographs from many Sox players in Milwaukee.

twinslayer
06-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Where do you send it to? How does this work? My cousin would love this!

ChiSoxFan81
06-02-2009, 12:02 PM

You send it to the stadium c/o the player. You can find the addresses on mlb.com, or just google it.

twinslayer
06-02-2009, 12:03 PM
You send it to the stadium c/o the player. You can find the addresses on mlb.com, or just google it.

Alright, simple enough, thanks.

jongarlandlover
06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
I would say to take him down to the bullpen. The guys are usually pretty nice down there and will even take the time out to have a conversation if you're polite. =D

guillen4life13
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I have a bunch of Sox autographs I got in the 2002-2003 years on a single white White Sox hat that I got for $10 outside the park in '02. I put my name on the underside of the bill also, which immediately makes it known that it's not for sale.

I got:
-Garland
-Rowand
-Lofton
-Vining
-Ginter
-Canseco
-Foulke
-Caballo

and a couple other players who never really made it (like Vining and Ginter). '02 was a year where lots of prospects came up that wouldn't do much in the long term. McKay Christiansen, Vining, Ginter, Barcelo, Biddle, etc.

southside rocks
06-02-2009, 12:25 PM

I sent all my requests to the player, c/o US Cellular Field, with the mailing address of the stadium.

Be SURE to put a stamped self-addressed envelope in so the player can send back the sig. No player is going to hunt up an envelope and proper postage just to send a fan an autograph.

And send it when you know the team is in town and not leaving the next day. I sent a request to Jim Thome when he hit #500, but the team left town the next day and then the season was over, I bet all the piled-up fan mail got tossed.

But every time (except for Crede) I have followed those rules above, I have gotten an autograph back. Buehrle even personalized it with my name, which is nice. AJ and Jenks sent it back within a day, it seemed like.

I have no intention of selling the stuff -- it isn't authenticated, or anything -- but it has great sentimental value to me.

buckdharma
06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I like all of the replies, except for one.

I like the idea of sending something in to the players like the "old" days.

if my kid can't get anything at the game, we'll try that approach. I just hope does, for his sake.

Another thing...we will be riding the train in from Galesburg just for the day, so you know what this seven year wants to do for fun other than the game? Eat in Chinatown. Kind of odd, yet fun. He likes to explore when he goes somewhere. That is a good trait to have.

Sorry, don't mean to brag about my kid.

Dude, you are supposed to BRAG about your kid. My kid won his first all start game last night!!!

I digress....Getting balls is exciting too. One trick my kid has been successful with - get right behind the dugout with 2 outs. If the third out is to an infielder, they often bring the ball back to the dugout and toss it to a kid who looks ready to catch one. Works for either team!

I believe my nine year old has about 10 ML balls (and dad has yet to get one). It is all about putting your kid in the right place and being respectful to the players/coaches. Get there when the park opens if you can!!!

1400 S. State
06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, I am about ready to head out for my couple days off.

Wish my kid luck, and a Sox win.

WhiteSoxFTW
06-03-2009, 01:23 PM
The only White Sox autograph I have ever recieved was at a road game in 1998 at Tropicana Field. It was from Mike Cameron. :(:

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-03-2009, 04:55 PM
I don't want to be a dark cloud or anything, but if anyone plans to send items to be signed in the mail, it's not a guarentee that the play actually signed it. My uncle's friend met and golfed a few times with Mickey Mantle and was told by him that the players would get a kick out of having the bat boy or their wives sign items for them they recieved in the mail. Granted, it was Mantle and nearly 50 some years ago, but there is a chance this could still happen, so I wouldn't send anything to any big name guys.