PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure this is a stupid question, but...

SephClone89
05-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Hearing all this talk about Contreras inevitably coming back to the club, and soon...why?

I don't care how he's been throwing in Charlotte. I don't want to give up Colon or Richard right now. We sent Contreras down because he was pitching terribly. Why does he need to come back up?

SoxFan1979
05-30-2009, 11:21 PM
I kinda agree. Let's see how Richards pitches in his next start. Maybe Jose will come out of the bullpen his 1st few games back.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-30-2009, 11:26 PM
As much as I still don't trust Richard, he's been way better than Contreras. Leave him in there and let him lose the job on his own, if even he does. As for Colon, I think it's only a matter of time before he fails, but he still gives the team a better chance to win than Contreras. If he does get called up, let him make 1 start and go with a 6-man rotation for that week. If he does bad, then put him in the bullpen.

Nelfox02
05-30-2009, 11:31 PM
I too have never understood the Sox love for Jose. Often times he is left in games too long, and it seems that they badly want him to come back to the team (despite the recent success of Richard and the overall effectiveness of Colon) Could it be the all the money they are paying him? If memory serves he is getting over 10 mil this season.........

hi im skot
05-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Based on the performances by Richard and Colon, Contreras is going to be relegated to the bullpen anyway.

MarkZ35
05-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Why fix something that isn't broken? The pitching staff isn't great but it has been much improved the last few weeks and that has been while Jose has been out of it. Contreras has been very bad this year so I would leave him out of the rotation as long as possible.

anewman35
05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all the talk now is him coming up to pitch in a doubleheader on June 8th (and we do need somebody to take that start, and assuming he's been pitching well in AAA then Jose is no worse an option than a bullpen day). Beyond that, I'd hope the Sox go with who's effective and don't just automatically plug Jose back in.

BigP50
05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
I think Jose can do very well in the bullpen but will do nothing in the rotation

Tragg
05-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Put Contreras in the pen.
It's ridiculous to move out Richard for Contreras.
But the back end of the pen is terrible right now - he's an obvious upgrade there.

JB98
05-30-2009, 11:37 PM
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all the talk now is him coming up to pitch in a doubleheader on June 8th (and we do need somebody to take that start, and assuming he's been pitching well in AAA then Jose is no worse an option than a bullpen day). Beyond that, I'd hope the Sox go with who's effective and don't just automatically plug Jose back in.

I'm not going to correct you, because you're right.

The Sox are considering recalling Contreras because they need a sixth starter due to the DH on June 8.

Noneck
05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
The answer to your question is Money. He is making 11m this year, 11m pitchers don't pitch in the minors for the Sox, He will be back soon.

PalehosePlanet
05-30-2009, 11:44 PM
No need to plug him into the rotation at this time but I'd much rather have him in the pen then Broadway.

Bottom line: He can still help this team.

Nelfox02
05-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Put Contreras in the pen.
It's ridiculous to move out Richard for Contreras.
But the back end of the pen is terrible right now - he's an obvious upgrade there.

I actually think for the most part the pen has been good this season---Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton, Carrassco, and Jenks all solid Gobble, Broadway (good luck!), scary at times But not counting on the for much anyway..........

Overall I would like to see what he can do in the pen, question: Jose is awful in the DH vs Tigers, no improvement, do the Sox keep him up with the team?

twinsuck
05-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Jose Contreras doesn't deserve ANOTHER chance he will blow. :mad: He's washed up.

hawkjt
05-31-2009, 12:53 AM
Lets see how he does vs the Tigers..then either you go with a six man rotation for a turn or two,or you put him in the bullpen. I prefer going to the six man rotation if Jose comes back strong, just to preserve Burls and Bart. Someone will fall out eventually and we will have that extra starter to use or trade.

I still think Jose can come back and give us some good starts. His arm is solid, just his control was lacking. Starters are like golden as the season wears on..having 6 would be a good problem.

jabrch
05-31-2009, 12:57 AM
Jose Contreras doesn't deserve ANOTHER chance he will blow. :mad: He's washed up.

It may or may not be true that he is washed up. But there is no reason to not start him when we need to call up someone. Can't hurt much. What are the options? If they try Whisler - fine. If they try Poreda - fine. But why not Jose?