PDA

View Full Version : Corky Miller on being DFA.

Whitesoxfan23
05-30-2009, 03:56 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090530&content_id=5040308&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

He talks about being DFA in that article. I feel bad for the guy, because he seems like a classy guy. Business is business though, and the Sox are trying to improve their club.

SOXfnNlansing
05-30-2009, 04:18 PM
At least the Sox brass are trying to make the team better with little deals like this. I know I didn't like the feeling with Lance bouncing back and forth from AAA to the big club. Corky was really great in spring training; I really was hoping he'd make the club. If the Sox were 30-15 right now, maybe the trade isn't made. Hope the best for both guys and hope the new guy fits in with our team.

soltrain21
05-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Because backup catcher was our problem - just like in 2007.

soxfanreggie
05-30-2009, 05:25 PM
We don't seem to have too many divas on our team, so we're probably not going to get too many bad reviews in exit interviews with players. It has to be hard on them and their families, but it is the business they chose to be in. All the best to Lance and Corky in the future.

tsoxman
05-30-2009, 05:37 PM
I think that this was a deal made on the basis of what the team may need in the not too distant future rather than a commentary on the job Corky was doing presently. To wit, the fact reamins that AJ, as he gets older will need more off days, and with Quentin out (and iffy with a lingering injury), and Getz, Fields and Anderson/Wise inconsistent from a production standpoint, we will need more offense from the lineup, especially on those days when AJ is not catching.

I like the move and wish that Kenny had made a similiar moves in the off season to shore up the offense.

Craig Grebeck
05-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Because backup catcher was our problem - just like in 2007.
Well this is a pretty ignorant view of the transaction.

CashMan
05-30-2009, 06:53 PM
and Getz, Fields and Anderson/Wise inconsistent from a production standpoint, .

Someone hitting .281 is inconsistent?

BadBobbyJenks
05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
I would forget Corky is even on this team if I didn't see him in the lineup once a week. I am amazed at how much discussion there has been over this.

MISoxfan
05-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Huh? Konerko and Dye have been the two best and most productive hitters on the Sox.

Thome has had his moments, especially the last couple weeks. Anderson has been decent, not great.

I think you can easily make a case for any of our three sluggers.

CashMan
05-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Nothing... Nothing at all, but someone said something negative about BA so of course someone else had to jump in and say something ridiculous to defend BA...

What was Thome's final batting avg last year?

CashMan
05-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey, I don't think Getz is going to hit 20 HR this year... It's probably true, but how and why is it germane to the discussion we are currently having? It isn't. Thus it is pointless.

Hopes that helps...

He lumped about 3-4 guys into a group of players that were struggling with their BA, where in fact one was not. I get what you are saying, but what he was saying was not true.

Jeckle2000
05-31-2009, 04:50 PM
I actually felt sorry for Corky Miller as well... In terms of being a backup catcher he wasn't doing all that bad... But we did upgrade so I can't complain to much. I hope he catches on somewhere...

PatK
05-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Hey, I don't think Getz is going to hit 20 HR this year... It's probably true, but how and why is it germane to the discussion we are currently having? It isn't. Thus it is pointless.

:dye:

I'm sorry, I thought I heard my name.

BleacherBandit
05-31-2009, 06:22 PM
:dye:

I'm sorry, I thought I heard my name.

:rolleyes:

esbrechtel
05-31-2009, 06:35 PM
I would forget Corky is even on this team if I didn't see him in the lineup once a week. I am amazed at how much discussion there has been over this.

just cuz he wore stirups...and stirups are sweet...

doublem23
06-01-2009, 08:10 AM
I feel bad if Corky Miller comes and lurks on this site. He's going to see a 30-post thred about him getting DFA'd, get all excited like we're talking about him, and find that over 1/2 the thread has nothing to do with him.

spawn
06-01-2009, 08:35 AM
I just cut out the BA posts and moved them to the appropriate thread. I'm really getting sick and ****ing tired of every thread being hijacked for support/angst over Brian Anderson. Stop it. Seriously. Before you post about Brian Anderson, stop yourself, and go to this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111134) thread. Debate about him until the cows come home. But stop hijacking legitimate threads.