PDA

View Full Version : Rox fire Clint Hurdle

DumpJerry
05-29-2009, 02:30 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9625622/Sources:-Rockies-fire-Hurdle-as-manager;-Tracy-in

manders_01
05-29-2009, 03:47 PM
:(: I'm a big fan of Clint. I know the Rox have been less than stellar this season but I was really hoping they'd turn it around.

Brian26
05-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Toughest job in the world. Less than two years after he took them to the World Series.

palehozenychicty
05-29-2009, 10:12 PM
I think getting to the World Series was his saving grace. He was badly outmanaged by Francona in that one, and posted a pretty mediocre record throughout his time. O'Dowd must be in trouble too.

TDog
05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
This is a bit of a surprise. I've had a couple of dealings with Clint Hurdle and considered him to be a good guy, at least good for the Rockies. He seemed to be a ballplayer who had respect for the fans.

manders_01
05-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Rockies won their first post-Clint game.

FloridaTigers
05-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Shouldnt've even been in that World Series.

DaveFeelsRight
05-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Shouldnt've even been in that World Series.seriously? they deserved it

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-01-2009, 02:59 PM
He was badly outmanaged by Francona in that one, and posted a pretty mediocre record throughout his time. O'Dowd must be in trouble too.

I don't recall any particularly bad moves that Hurdle made in that series. Basically, his hitters were rusty after almost two weeks of sitting around, and the rotation choked. In Game 4, the Red Sox hit a bunch of ground balls that made it through the infield.

Yes, I think O'Dowd is probably in trouble also, as his contract expires at the end of the season. And he should be; this team wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is with a decent bullpen. There were plenty of decent relievers available in the offseason, but he only considered the worst of the bunch.

Shouldnt've even been in that World Series.

Oh really? And who would you have anointed for the honor? Does winning games no longer count?

chisox77
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM
I remember when Clint Hurdle was a rookie with the Royals. He was supposed to be a star.

But he turned out to be a decent manager, and a pretty good guy.

palehozenychicty
06-01-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't recall any particularly bad moves that Hurdle made in that series. Basically, his hitters were rusty after almost two weeks of sitting around, and the rotation choked. In Game 4, the Red Sox hit a bunch of ground balls that made it through the infield.

Yes, I think O'Dowd is probably in trouble also, as his contract expires at the end of the season. And he should be; this team wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is with a decent bullpen. There were plenty of decent relievers available in the offseason, but he only considered the worst of the bunch.

Oh really? And who would you have anointed for the honor? Does winning games no longer count?

I think that's what I find a little strange about this team. If you look at their roster, it's full of young and athletic players. During their World Series run, they were just vacuuming every single ball. Their starting rotation is better now than at that point in time. As you said, the bullpen needs help. Nothing can demoralize a club more than a terrible pen.

It wasn't a particular move or moves that he made, but I never felt that Hurdle had his team's confidence in that World Series.
Francona isn't a great strategist, but he is good at motivating his roster and they respect him.

That being said, the Rockies need to find new leadership.

RockyMtnSoxFan
06-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I think that's what I find a little strange about this team. If you look at their roster, it's full of young and athletic players. During their World Series run, they were just vacuuming every single ball. Their starting rotation is better now than at that point in time. As you said, the bullpen needs help. Nothing can demoralize a club more than a terrible pen.

It wasn't a particular move or moves that he made, but I never felt that Hurdle had his team's confidence in that World Series.
Francona isn't a great strategist, but he is good at motivating his roster and they respect him.

That being said, the Rockies need to find new leadership.

You might have a good point there. From everything I've heard, the players actually liked Clint quite a bit. He seems like a nice guy. But with all of the speculation about replacing him, it had gotten to the point that the players were feeling the pressure of playing for someone else's job.

I think it all started going downhill last year when Corpas blew a whole bunch of saves early on. After that, they haven't had enough determination to win, and that is something that Hurdle should be responsible for.