PDA

View Full Version : SI's Jon Heyman believes Sox to be likely suitors for Bedard

Crede24Thome25
05-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Erik Bedard Names the White Sox, Phillies and Brewers as a possible fit for him.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/mariners-trade-talk.html

CHISOXFAN13
05-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Erik Bedard Names the White Sox, Phillies and Brewers as a possible fit for him.
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/05/mariners-trade-talk.html

Actually, Jon Heyman names those threes as suitors.

DirtySox
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
I could dig it.

Edit: Maybe the title of this thread should be changed.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 03:41 PM
No thanks. I love what he can do when he's healthy, but the guy never is healthy.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 03:44 PM
No thanks. I love what he can do when he's healthy, but the guy never is healthy.

No long-term commitment, he can walk at the end of this year, if he wants to.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 03:48 PM
No long-term commitment, he can walk at the end of this year, if he wants to.

Then why trade for him? This doesn't seem to be the year to make a big push for a World Series ring, IMO. If the Sox trade for anyone, I would want it to be for a guy that will be around for at least another year.

JohnTucker0814
05-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Then why trade for him? This doesn't seem to be the year to make a big push for a World Series ring, IMO. If the Sox trade for anyone, I would want it to be for a guy that will be around for at least another year.

Agreed, keep our prospects and pay him money at the end of the year to come here!

guillensdisciple
05-29-2009, 03:52 PM

Disagreed.

Every year should be a title run year (whether realistic or not).

doublem23
05-29-2009, 03:53 PM

Don't ask me, maybe KW/Heyman thinks this team can still get the job done.

:dunno:

jabrch
05-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Don't ask me, maybe KW/Heyman thinks this team can still get the job done.

:dunno:

5 games out in late May. Why is it unreasonable to think that is possible?

Depends on the cost. He would assumedly net us 2 draft picks in compensation in next year's draft. If the cost is low enough - let's go for it.

He'd cost less than Peavy for sure. Right?

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 04:11 PM
Depends on the cost. He would assumedly net us 2 draft picks in compensation in next year's draft. If the cost is low enough - let's go for it.

He'd cost less than Peavy for sure. Right?

Your first point is a good one. But as for the second part, the link the OP posted says that Bedard would likely cost more than what we offered for Peavy. :scratch:

jabrch
05-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Your first point is a good one. But as for the second part, the link the OP posted says that Bedard would likely cost more than what we offered for Peavy. :scratch:

Missed that part...THere's no way I'd give up more for Bedard than we offered for Peavy.

PaleHoser
05-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Bedard costs more because the Mariners gave up alot to get him. The M's have to get some return for the five guys they gave up to get him.

AzureJazzMan
05-29-2009, 05:54 PM
But, what it's for Bedard AND Beltre? Then it would be worth giving up more. Right?

Whitesoxfan23
05-29-2009, 06:16 PM
I am against giving up any valuable prospects for players that are free agents at the end of the season, especially since the Sox are still a very questionable team right now.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 06:22 PM
I am against giving up any valuable prospects for players that are free agents at the end of the season, especially since the Sox are still a very questionable team right now.

Luckily for us, we really don't have any of those at the moment.

Tragg
05-29-2009, 11:26 PM
The Sox are atop 5-10 payroll team.
What they need to do is develop their own players and sign free agents.

Yea, we don't have any valuable prospects. They stink. No value at all.

rdivaldi
05-29-2009, 11:36 PM

Poreda, Beckham, Flowers, Allen, Viciedo, (edit: Danks), Dan Hudson, Dexter Carter, Greg Infante

It would be nice if this "barren farm system" myth would go away.

palehozenychicty
05-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Poreda, Beckham, Flowers, Allen, Viciedo, Dan Hudson, Dexter Carter, Greg Infante

For real. I hope that a lot of these guys are in the Comiskular by '10 and '11.

cws05champ
05-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Disagreed.

Should the Nats have this same mentality? At some point in the season you have to be honest about your team and decide what direction you are going. We are not at that point to make a decision either way yet.

The way Richard is looking, and Poreda...I would be hesitant to make that trade with just those two for Bedard, let alone a package centered around them.

johnnyg83
05-30-2009, 12:26 AM

Tell that to your winning pitcher tonight. 3 ERs in his last 20 IPs

palehozenychicty
05-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Bedard isn't durable or mentally strong enough to warrant a large package. Seattle may want to recoup what it lost to Baltimore, but time will tell. I think the Phils really need Bedard, with Myers getting hurt.

pythons007
05-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Disagreed.

So when you're sitting in 4th place and about 10 games out. You sell the farm to win that particular year?:scratch:

jcw218
05-30-2009, 03:45 PM
So when you're sitting in 4th place and about 10 games out. You sell the farm to win that particular year?:scratch:

It all depends on timing. If you're sitting in 4th place 10 back in May, you see how the team does into the all-star break. If at that time you're still in 4th and 10 back, then you start selling the players that were not going to be in your future plans for younger talent.

But the goal when the season starts is to make a run at getting into the playoffs and going from there.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-01-2009, 12:48 AM
This has Bartolo Colon (the first time) and David Wells written all over it. Please. Avoid. At. All. Costs.

Domeshot17
06-01-2009, 01:26 AM
Poreda, Beckham, Flowers, Allen, Viciedo, (edit: Danks), Dan Hudson, Dexter Carter, Greg Infante

It isn't barren but it isn't anywhere above middle of the road. It is a good start but the only guy on that list cracking any top 50 prospect lists is Beckham.

I think its the perfect time to sell Poreda, but even in the Peavy deal, Olney was talking about how some scouts were calling him nothing more then a future middle relief. That is a tough label to shake on your teams best pitching prospect. I know everyone wants to ignore his lack of offspeed pitches, but he still hasn't developed them much.

It is also a great time to deal Richard IMO. He shut down some really poor offensives, but he lacks the stuff and velocity to keep this up long term. Teams will make adjustments on him. Richard is probably half the pitcher Danks is and look at the way the AL has adjusted to him.

I don't know if Bedard is the guy I buy though. I am not sure if it was this article or another I read that said they won't be looking for the package they dealt, but they will probably get a better package then the Sox were giving for Peavy.

I will agree though, while I am not high on Poreda, last draft was what we needed to restock the farm. Combining Buddy Bell with high picks worked. However, it still really sucks to think instead of Porcello-Matt Garza-and Joba we have Poreda Mcculloch and Broadway (or had). Striking out early in the draft happens, but consistently is a problem. Lets hope Bell keeps it turned around.

WhiteSox5187
06-01-2009, 01:28 AM
This has Bartolo Colon (the first time) and David Wells written all over it. Please. Avoid. At. All. Costs.

I seem to recall Bartolo being pretty good the first time he was with us. Is my memory that bad?

06-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I seem to recall Bartolo being pretty good the first time he was with us. Is my memory that bad?

He wasn't bad at all, 15-13 3.87 ERA 173 k's...he actually came on really strong the last few months. As for right now, I think he is doing just fine for a #5 starter

JB98
06-01-2009, 01:48 AM
I hope we stay far, far away from Bedard. He's injury-prone, and I don't think of him as a winner. He's been a disaster for the Mariners.

I certainly wouldn't give up ANY young pitching for that guy, and I'm the sort of fan who is usually willing to part with prospects.

I'll trade young pitching for Peavy, but screw Bedard.

rdivaldi
06-03-2009, 12:58 AM
It isn't barren but it isn't anywhere above middle of the road. It is a good start but the only guy on that list cracking any top 50 prospect lists is Beckham.

??? Poreda is top 50 as is Flowers, while Danks is on his way. We're above middle of the road at this point. The Barons are crushing the Southern League, the Dash are mashing and the Intimidators are pitching well.

Olney was talking about how some scouts were calling him nothing more then a future middle relief.

Pfft, then those scouts are well on their way to being out of baseball. Left handers that throw 97-99 are not "future middle relief" they are future starters, closers or at worst 8th inning set-up men ala Thornton.

It is also a great time to deal Richard IMO. He shut down some really poor offensives, but he lacks the stuff and velocity to keep this up long term. Teams will make adjustments on him.

I don't disagree with this, although I am impressed with Clayton's performance over the past month or so.

but he lacks the stuff and velocity to keep this up long term. Teams will make adjustments on him.

"Velocity"? You do realize that this kid throws in the mid 90's right? I worry about his control and offspeed stuff, but definitely not his velocity.

CashMan
06-03-2009, 01:14 AM
"Velocity"? You do realize that this kid throws in the mid 90's right? I worry about his control and offspeed stuff, but definitely not his velocity.

I am pretty sure Hawk said last year he was touching mid-90s, this season he is consistently hitting mid 90s.

A. Cavatica
06-03-2009, 09:25 AM
Peavy >> Bedard, and we don't need to pay a premium for a lefthanded starter because we have three at the moment. I hope we don't chase Bedard. Brandon Webb sounds like the guy to focus on.

doublem23
06-03-2009, 09:36 AM

Mid-90's fastballs are not that impressive if you don't have a decent breaking ball or off-speed pitch. If you're game is to just try and blow heat past people then you need a 100+ MPH fastball (i.e. Joel Zumaya).

Foulke You
06-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Peavy >> Bedard, and we don't need to pay a premium for a lefthanded starter because we have three at the moment. I hope we don't chase Bedard. Brandon Webb sounds like the guy to focus on.
I agree that Peavy would have been better since he is younger but don't overlook the value of Bedard's experience in the AL. He wouldn't have to learn to pitch to AL lineups because he has spent his entire career in the AL. Also, Clayton Richard will likely be a part of any deal to bring in a top pitcher like Bedard so we'll still likely have only three lefties in the rotation.