PDA

View Full Version : Quentin to DL, Wise activated

Sockinchisox
05-29-2009, 01:23 PM
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/white-sox-place-carlos-quentin-on-dl-activate-dewayne-wise.html

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 01:26 PM
Expected.

Get well soon, TCQ. We need that awesome bat of yours...

soltrain21
05-29-2009, 01:26 PM
This team has the opposite of depth. Yikes.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM

At least Pods and BA are producing at the moment. Hopefully that continues or the Sox might find themselves in a serious hole before TCQ gets back.

beasly213
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
At least he is on the DL now and won't keep trying to come back when he isn't 100%. We'll need TCQ for the long haul so lets try to keep winning without him. When he comes back we make our run!!

..I hope.

JB98
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM

I was really hoping Guillen would be able to give Dye more days off this year. I thought JD swung a tired bat in September last season.

Don't have that luxury with the injury to TCQ.

Hopefully, Wise's left-handed bat will help against the KC right-handers the Sox will face this weekend.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 01:28 PM
Can't wait for the first time Ozzie trots out Wise and Pods in the same lineup. Might need to shut down the forums for a few hours. :cool:

doublem23
05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
I was really hoping Guillen would be able to give Dye more days off this year. I thought JD swung a tired bat in September last season.

Well, hopefully a very, very well rested TCQ will be able to bear the burden of the Sox's offense during the final push of the season now.

JB98
05-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Can't wait for the first time Ozzie trots out Wise and Pods in the same lineup. Might need to shut down the forums for a few hours. :cool:

If it doesn't happen tonight, it will happen this weekend.

I'll be logging off at that time.

It's Dankerific
05-29-2009, 02:05 PM

If it doesn't happen tonight, it will happen this weekend.

I'll be logging off at that time.

Thats funny. I'll try to just drink myself into the corner instead of posting my displeasure.

I am bit amused how a seperated shoulder that keeps you out over a month needs less rehab than a pulled muscle....

Ranger
05-29-2009, 02:10 PM

You have a better option? At some point, that will probably happen and there isn't much he can do about it. He can't make Quentin's foot be healthy.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 02:10 PM
Thats funny. I'll try to just drink myself into the corner instead of posting my displeasure.

I am bit amused how a seperated shoulder that keeps you out over a month needs less rehab than a pulled muscle....

It's a needs thing. BA wasn't desperately needed as a backup when he was healed. Wise is.

It's Dankerific
05-29-2009, 02:13 PM
It's a needs thing. BA wasn't desperately needed as a backup when he was healed. Wise is.

We'll agree to disagree about that.

oeo
05-29-2009, 02:14 PM
We'll agree to disagree about that.

Yeah, because of course it has to be a conspiracy against Brian Anderson. Nothing else makes sense.

:rolleyes:

It's Dankerific
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Yeah, because of course it has to be a conspiracy against Brian Anderson. Nothing else makes sense.

Who said conspiracy. Its probably the same rationale. I happen to think its important that fly balls aren't dropped in CF and that we have a CF in CF and a LF in LF instead of a LF in CF and an IF in LF. TPTB do not.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
You have a better option? At some point, that will probably happen and there isn't much he can do about it. He can't make Quentin's foot be healthy.

Lillibridge, sure he can't hit but neither can Wise and he is fast.

oeo
05-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Who said conspiracy. Its probably the same rationale. I happen to think its important that fly balls aren't dropped in CF and that we have a CF in CF and a LF in LF instead of a LF in CF and an IF in LF. TPTB do not.

Everything you post concerning Anderson is some weird, pull-it-out-of-your-ass, conspiracy bull****.

Boy, it was nice not having to read this crap when Anderson was on the DL.

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I think Kenny will be out looking for another power bat here soon.

This foot issue with CQ has no gurantees for us this year.

Kenny has flexibility when it comes to adding a big bat just because of the expiring contracts in Dye and Thome. So that's good news.

If we don't mash we won't win playing at our park.

Ranger
05-29-2009, 02:22 PM
Lillibridge, sure he can't hit but neither can Wise and he is fast.

I'll assume you're not being serious. In no way are Wise and Lillibridge comparable at the plate. Wise has at least shown he can hit here a little bit. Lillibridge has absolutely not.

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

I so agree. We are very thin anytime someone goes down.

Other than Danks, our future OF prospect picture looks very dull.

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
I'll assume you're not being serious. In no way are Wise and Lillibridge comparable at the plate. Wise has at least shown he can hit here a little bit. Lillibridge has absolutely not.

Wise off the bench as a #4 OF is not a bad asset to have. It's when he plays everyday where I think he will get exposed.

Lilibridge couldn't hit, even in Batting Practice.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM

Wait, did you watch the same games I was watching where on opening day Wise had like 3Ks and you were asking on the post game why people were booing? As a 4th OFer, I would rather have Lillibridge.

kittle42
05-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Everything you post concerning Anderson is some weird, pull-it-out-of-your-ass, conspiracy bull****.

Boy, it was nice not having to read this crap when Anderson was on the DL.

Wasn't it a nice place for a couple weeks? But then, right as he was about to come back from injury, the absolute BIGGEST conspiracy bull**** I have ever seen on these boards (and that includes, among other things, Hangar's conspiracies about the media, Cubbie tampering with players, Selig, and anything else) re: the purposeful holding back of Anderson on rehab happened. Hmm, who could have started that one???

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Wait, did you watch the same games I was watching where on opening day Wise had like 3Ks and you were asking on the post game why people were booing? As a 4th OFer, I would rather have Lillibridge.

:?:

Sample size? Why not compare the limited complete samples the two players posted this year. Heck, throw in Wise's numbers from last season if you need to make them closer to equal in terms of PAs.

Now look deeper than just the ability to cover an OF slot defensively and consider that one factor in having a guy on your bench is the ability to PH. Wise as a PH against a RHP is a decent commodity to have. Lillibridge is worthless in that role. Wise also brings about the same ability to steal a base and can play all three OF positions, not just CF.

So WHY would you prefer Lillibridge? Just because there's no way in Hell that Ozzie would ever actually start him would be my guess, but if Pods and BA can carry their weight, the situation should become moot...

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:33 PM
:?:

So why would you prefer lillibridge? Just because there's no way in hell that ozzie would ever actually start him would be my guess, but if pods and ba can carry their weight, the situation should become moot...

yes!

kittle42
05-29-2009, 02:33 PM

There is really no defense for your position. Wise may be a crappy defender, but Lillibridge isn't even an OF. Wise may hit in the .230s, but Lillibridge can't even do that. Both run well, but only one even occasionally gets on base.

You want to boo Wise because he K'd three times on opening day and couldn't lay a bunt down? I wanted to, as well. That doesn't make him a worse player than Lillibridge.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
yes!

So you want less talent on the team because you don't trust the manager...

That's about the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on these forums...

doublem23
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM
There is really no defense for your position. Wise may be a crappy defender, but Lillibridge isn't even an OF. Wise may hit in the .230s, but Lillibridge can't even do that. Both run well, but only one even occasionally gets on base.

Lillibridge can't even hit .230 in Charlotte. Thankfully, he found his way into Ozzie's doghouse.

It's Dankerific
05-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Wasn't it a nice place for a couple weeks? But then, right as he was about to come back from injury, the absolute BIGGEST conspiracy bull**** I have ever seen on these boards (and that includes, among other things, Hangar's conspiracies about the media, Cubbie tampering with players, Selig, and anything else) re: the purposeful holding back of Anderson on rehab happened. Hmm, who could have started that one???

Yeah, but a guy with a seperated shoulder only needs what, 2 games? 3 games?

Do we remember that we had Lillibridge on the team when Brian was doing his time in rehab? And we couldn't even use him so we were using an IF in LF. I think we were just as "needy" then as now. But somehow, Wise needs fewer at bats. I guess an seperated shoulder doesn't affect swinging a bat.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:39 PM
You want to boo Wise because he K'd three times on opening day and couldn't lay a bunt down? I wanted to, as well. That doesn't make him a worse player than Lillibridge.

Simply, this is going to turn into Wise playing 2 times a week, then 3 days a week. Wise needs to be on the bench, but that won't happen.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 02:40 PM

Calm down, Ranger. I fully understand Ozzie's precarious situation with our absolute lack of depth in the OF. Unfortunately there are something like 12,000 registered members here, and they don't all take their cues from me (yet). :cool:

doublem23
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Do we remember that we had Lillibridge on the team when Brian was doing his time in rehab? And we couldn't even use him so we were using an IF in LF. I think we were just as "needy" then as now. But somehow, Wise needs fewer at bats. I guess an seperated shoulder doesn't affect swinging a bat.

:rolling:

rdwj
05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
Great - let's hope Ozzie has enough sense not to play him

kittle42
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM

Where is that tin foil tag?

ode to veeck
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM

the tin foil office cube photo was one of the funniest things I ever saw here ... and certainly would be appropriate for a number of posts in this thread lol

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Well, the minute Dye lands that suspension, that will be the day.

You do have to agree, Pods, Anderson, Wise will chalk up to one of the worst offensive OF ever put together for one game.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 03:06 PM
You do have to agree, Pods, Anderson, Wise will chalk up to one of the worst offensive OF ever put together for one game.

Definitely.

And to that note, Pods-Wise-Dye is probably the 2nd worst offensive OF in baseball.

I'm going to need a couple of stiff drinks to watch the Quentin-less White Sox.:drunken:

DSpivack
05-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Definitely.

And to that note, Pods-Wise-Dye is probably the 2nd worst offensive OF in baseball.

I'm going to need a couple of stiff drinks to watch the Quentin-less White Sox.:drunken:

Second?

doublem23
05-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Second?

Yes, behind Pods-Wise-Anderson.

That's an OF that would have gotten booed off the field in 1909.

JorgeFabregas
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM

You need to update your tracker. Brian has two assists now--one from CF and one from RF. He also doesn't have an on-base streak.

DSpivack
05-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, behind Pods-Wise-Anderson.

That's an OF that would have gotten booed off the field in 1909.

I actually read that as Pods-Wise-BA, didn't even see Dye there. :redface:

Hahn, Altizer, & Dougherty (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CHW/1909.shtml)take offense to that comment!

TomBradley72
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Just curious....so who exactly is the next right handed hitting outfielder on our organizational depth chart? KW should be pretty embarrassed that a single injury to our starting LF leaves us with two guys that no other MLB team wanted (Wise and Pods) as part of our 4 OF rotation.

It's Dankerific
05-29-2009, 03:27 PM
You need to update your tracker. Brian has two assists now--one from CF and one from RF. He also doesn't have an on-base streak.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I've been unable to keep up the last few days. I'm moving! =)

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Just curious....so who exactly is the next right handed hitting outfielder on our organizational depth chart? KW should be pretty embarrassed that a single injury to our starting LF leaves us with two guys that no other MLB team wanted (Wise and Pods) as part of our 4 OF rotation.Who cares who wants them, it only matters how they produce and so far Pods has produced just fine...

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Definitely.

As long as Dye stays healthy and can play out the string, I still hold hope.

Time for PK and Thome to pick up the power slack. Balls need to start going over the fences here. You too Mr Fields, you can't hit .220 and not hit the ball out of the park.

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Who cares who wants them, it only matters how they produce and so far Pods has produced just fine...

Small sample size.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Small sample size.

Hence the words "so far" in my statement. So far the OF depth and production has been fine. Yes, I'd love to see more power from our OF, but at least we're reaching base...

Edit: Oh and when healthy, Pods has always been a pretty productive player. The fact that he hasn't been healthy is what has held him back as much as anything these past few years. He appears to be finally better and it's showing...

Edit 2 : and the small sample size works both ways. Pods' numbers may actually improve as he gets more settled in...

spawn
05-29-2009, 03:42 PM

http://static.desktopnexus.com/wallpapers/23564-bigthumbnail.jpg

TomBradley72
05-29-2009, 03:46 PM
Who cares who wants them, it only matters how they produce and so far Pods has produced just fine...

Fair enough. Either Pods or Wise would be OK....but both is a problem. I think it is relevent that we have such an alarming lack of outfield depth as an organization. And especially the fact that for the next two weeks, when we face a lefty, we have no other choice, but to have Wise or Pods in the line up.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Fair enough. Either Pods or Wise would be OK....but both is a problem. I think it is relevent that we have such an alarming lack of outfield depth as an organization. And especially the fact that for the next two weeks, when we face a lefty, we have no other choice, but to have Wise or Pods in the line up.

Could use Nix in LF if they want to, but I suspect Pods will be the leadoff guy regardless of which arm the opposing starter uses.

How many teams have a MLB caliber player just itching to be called up from the minors when they suffer an injury? The Sox had 4 players they trusted as OF starters to begin the season. They added a 5th and have developed an emergency 6th. It's not the depth, it's the injuries and anytime you lose a bat as good as TCQ you aren't going to reach down to the minors and replace it because if you could that guy would already be starting on the team...

Britt Burns
05-29-2009, 05:35 PM
This season just gets better and better.

ChiSoxFan81
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Ozzie is waiting to start Wise until Monday so he can get a standing ovation from the home crowd.

WhiteSox1989
05-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Blah.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm sure you meant the one with the guy holding the disgruntled cat (http://cmacivor.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/tin-foil-hat2.jpg), but I prefer this one.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attachments/elections/14922d1203442021-obama-illegals-share-same-message-n522306244_197290_3718.jpg

thomas35forever
05-29-2009, 07:18 PM
This needed to happen sooner rather than later. Jack McDowell had something in the paper earlier this week that said the surgery needed to correct his injury would shelf him for the rest of the season. He'll just need to tough it out when he comes back.

DirtySox
05-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Q Could Return on June 10th (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/white-soxs-carlos-quentin-out.html)

Tragg
05-29-2009, 11:23 PM
Career .260 obp CF who plays lousy defense is back.
Oh boy.

Back to lousy outfield defense, Oz.

spawn
05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Career .260 obp CF who plays lousy defense is back.
Oh boy.

Back to lousy outfield defense, Oz.
So Brian Anderson has been benched? I guess I must not have gotten that memo. :shrug:

NDSox12
05-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Q Could Return on June 10th (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/white-soxs-carlos-quentin-out.html)

I hope so! That will be my first Sox home game of the year.

Frankfan4life
05-30-2009, 12:16 AM
How soon we forget that Wise was the White Sox starting CF until he got hurt (making a spectacular catch, I might add). I'd like to see him get as much of a chance to show what he can do just like BA has had. We've had a lot of crappy hitting on this team by almost everybody except for lately.

Wise is going to play and we need him to do well. That's why I'm going to root for him. GO WISE!!!! :bandance:

palehozenychicty
05-30-2009, 12:22 AM
How soon we forget that Wise was the White Sox starting CF until he got hurt (making a spectacular catch, I might add). I'd like to see him get as much of a chance to show what he can do just like BA has had. We've had a lot of crappy hitting on this team by almost everybody except for lately.

Wise is going to play and we need him to do well. That's why I'm going to root for him. GO WISE!!!! :bandance:

I am going to root for him to play well when he does, yet Dewayne does not deserve to start. Other than that catch, he did nothing to justify that respect.

doublem23
05-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I am going to root for him to play well when he does, yet Dewayne does not deserve to start. Other than that catch, he did nothing to justify that respect.

To be fair, Wise strung together a couple of good games at the plate between when Ozzie dropped him in the lineup and when he got hurt in Detroit. I know, the sample size is small, but there are plenty of Anderson's boys that point out every game BA looks good at the plate, so all's fair.

Whatever, as good as Brian has looked at the plate this year, he's still got a pretty significant lefty/righty split, so as long as Ozzie can keep himself under control and actually use a platoon, it probably won't be that big of a deal.

voodoochile
05-30-2009, 09:14 AM
To be fair, Wise strung together a couple of good games at the plate between when Ozzie dropped him in the lineup and when he got hurt in Detroit. I know, the sample size is small, but there are plenty of Anderson's boys that point out every game BA looks good at the plate, so all's fair.

Whatever, as good as Brian has looked at the plate this year, he's still got a pretty significant lefty/righty split, so as long as Ozzie can keep himself under control and actually use a platoon, it probably won't be that big of a deal.

Problem is BA's good split is against RHP same as Wise...

doublem23
05-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Problem is BA's good split is against RHP same as Wise...

I've resigned myself to the fact that Ozzie is going to try and cram Wise in the lineup, so it may as well just be part-time and at the best benefit to the team.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2009, 10:41 AM

The best defensive outfielders make hard catches look easy. Let's not mistake hustle for talent. Part of the reason Ozzie named Wise the starter is because he liked a left-handed hacker leading off. Well, Pods has filled that role quite nicely. Pods isn't great, but he's a much more experienced and talented leadoff hitter than Wise. BA has played his usual great defense and has hit the ball quite well, including against RHP, and is a better baserunner. There is no reason whatsoever for Ozzie to bench BA to start Wise, other than stubborn loyalty to a sub-mediocre left-handed hacker. For the time being Wise should be the fourth OF.

Frater Perdurabo
05-30-2009, 10:42 AM
I've resigned myself to the fact that Ozzie is going to try and cram Wise in the lineup, so it may as well just be part-time and at the best benefit to the team.

Given who is on the roster right now, I don't see any scenario in which it benefits the team to have Wise starting in CF.

voodoochile
05-30-2009, 10:50 AM
The best defensive outfielders make hard catches look easy. Let's not mistake hustle for talent. Part of the reason Ozzie named Wise the starter is because he liked a left-handed hacker leading off. Well, Pods has filled that role quite nicely. Pods isn't great, but he's a much more experienced and talented leadoff hitter than Wise. BA has played his usual great defense and has hit the ball quite well, including against RHP, and is a better baserunner. There is no reason whatsoever for Ozzie to bench BA to start Wise, other than stubborn loyalty to a sub-mediocre left-handed hacker. For the time being Wise should be the fourth OF.

Well he didn't start last night against a RHP, so maybe your wish has been granted...