PDA

View Full Version : AL All-Star Voting Update

doublem23
05-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Surprised nobody commented on this yet, if the voting ended today, starting lineup for the American League would be:

C: Joe Mauer, Twins
1B; Kevin Youkilis, Blosox
2B: Ian Kinsler, Rangers
3B: Evan Longoria, Rays
SS: Derek Jeter, NY
OF: Jason Bay, Sawx
OF: Josh Hamilton, Rangers
OF: Ichiro, Mariners

It'd be nice to not have the standard Yankees/Red Sox cluster**** of starters.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090527&content_id=4985248&vkey=allstar2009&fext=.jsp

Coolpapa
05-29-2009, 12:36 PM
There could be an all star line up from just the other teams in the East. Baltimore, Tampa, and Toronto all have the potential to , at least, play spoiler roles in September

Jogurt
05-29-2009, 12:38 PM
The variety of teams is great so far. Being down here in Dallas, I can say Kinsler has been awesome (and I think all of us Sox fans saw that as well). A bit surprised about Hamilton though, he hasn't played enough to make a big impact. Nelson Cruz should be there from the Rangers outfield instead (if a Ranger's outfielder deserves a start)

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Don't understand how Justin Morneu gets overlooked every year as a starter.

mantis1212
05-29-2009, 02:00 PM
I trying to think of any Sox that deserve to make the all-star team...

Buehrle
Jenks maybe

that's really it I think- kind of like 2007 :(:

CHISOXFAN13
05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
The variety of teams is great so far. Being down here in Dallas, I can say Kinsler has been awesome (and I think all of us Sox fans saw that as well). A bit surprised about Hamilton though, he hasn't played enough to make a big impact. Nelson Cruz should be there from the Rangers outfield instead (if a Ranger's outfielder deserves a start)

No, but the Home Run Derby last year made him one of the game's most popular players.

The Rangers may have more starters than NY. Even though Hamilton isn't deserving, I kinda like that.

LoveYourSuit
05-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I trying to think of any Sox that deserve to make the all-star team...

Buehrle
Jenks maybe

that's really it I think- kind of like 2007 :(:

Buehrle is a lock unless he implodes the next few weeks.

I think Dye and Jenks have slight chance too.

But that's it.

For this team to still have a pulse and in the hunt is amazing based on the lack of star power.

Thank a bad division in part.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 02:38 PM

I don't think he gets overlooked as much as he gets Boston/New York-ed. Also, for the last few years, there's been a good number of first basemen that have been just as worthy of an all star appearance. Some names that come to mind:

David Ortiz (when ASG played in NL, Blosox fans would vote him in there)
Carlos Pena in '07
Miguel Cabrera and Kevin Youkilis last year
Travis Hafner in 04-06

DSpivack
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't think he gets overlooked as much as he gets Boston/New York-ed. Also, for the last few years, there's been a good number of first basemen that have been just as worthy of an all star appearance. Some names that come to mind:

David Ortiz (when ASG played in NL, Blosox fans would vote him in there)
Carlos Pena in '07
Miguel Cabrera and Kevin Youkilis last year
Travis Hafner in 04-06

Konerko is off to a very good start thus far, and yet he's sixth in OPS among AL 1B.

FloridaTigers
05-29-2009, 06:02 PM

He's great, but is he really better than Kevin Youkilis? Or Miguel Cabrera? I'd say he's just as good as Teixeira is, even if the stats don't indicate it currently.

Brian26
05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
It'd be nice to not have the standard Yankees/Red Sox cluster**** of starters.

I agree, but I think Bay actually deserves it. And, it is somewhat nice seeing his name up there since he's not the most household name like Papi and Manny were.

WizardsofOzzie
06-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Meanwhile Griffey and his monster .208 average is 4th in outfield voting :scratch:

spawn
06-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Meanwhile Griffey and his monster .208 average is 4th in outfield voting :scratch:
Since when has All-Star voting been about the player that deserves to be there?

pmck003
06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I think Torii Hunter should be in CF. You could argue Bartlett for SS though if their numbers are close I think Jeter should start based on history/I've been led to believe he has been playing very good defensively. I know fielding percentage doesn't tell the whole story but he has a .990 so far.

ShoelessJoeS
06-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Meanwhile Griffey and his monster .208 average is 4th in outfield voting :scratch:Meh. ASG voting has been a joke for quite some time. Almost as big a joke as awarding home-field advantage in the World Series.

InKennyWeTrust
06-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Someone brought up the Ortiz at first ballot issue. I know everyone has their ways to change the game, but I think this one makes sense:

Every year, you vote for 8 starters in the NL, and 9 in the AL. The lineup is done just like in a regular season inter-league game.

When the game is at an AL park, the NL manager picks a bench player for DH, or to put at a position, while the original starter there goes to DH.
When it's at an NL park, the AL manager decides which of the nine to sit.

soxfan2504
06-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Meh. ASG voting has been a joke for quite some time. Almost as big a joke as awarding home-field advantage in the World Series.

Agreed on both points. But if you replace the former with a more workable, legitimate system by keeping dumbass fans out of it, then the latter won't be such a joke, if not one at all.

WizardsofOzzie
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Since when has All-Star voting been about the player that deserves to be there?

Meh. ASG voting has been a joke for quite some time. Almost as big a joke as awarding home-field advantage in the World Series.

Oh I know. Just makes me chuckle that as soon as he goes back to Seattle, he's deemed to be all star quality again, despite having better #'s at just about every other point in his career.

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Agreed on both points. But if you replace the former with a more workable, legitimate system by keeping dumbass fans out of it, then the latter won't be such a joke, if not one at all.I was listening to the Score recently, and one caller suggested that home-field advantage should be given to the league with the higher overall winning percentage in interleague play. I, for one, think that is a fantastic idea.

Moses_Scurry
06-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I was listening to the Score recently, and one caller suggested that home-field advantage should be given to the league with the higher overall winning percentage in interleague play. I, for one, think that is a fantastic idea.

So either way, the American League gets home field advantage for the World Series. :dunno:

The AL has won the All-Star game every year since that stupid rule was made. Did the NL come out ahead in interleague play any of those years?

ShoelessJoeS
06-03-2009, 12:27 PM
So either way, the American League gets home field advantage for the World Series. :dunno:

The AL has won the All-Star game every year since that stupid rule was made. Did the NL come out ahead in interleague play any of those years?I'm no stathead, so I'm not sure. But the way I posted seems much more fair than to decide it on one game. Your league deserves home-field if your league wins more interleague games. Makes perfect sense, right? And sure, the AL has been dominant for years, but that won't always be the case.

ChiSoxFan81
06-03-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm no stathead, so I'm not sure. But the way I posted seems much more fair than to decide it on one game. Your league deserves home-field if your league wins more interleague games. Makes perfect sense, right? And sure, the AL has been dominant for years, but that won't always be the case.

I don't comprehend why MLB just can't let the better win percentage decide HF advantage. Maybe the AS Game could be a tiebreaker. Selig claims it's not enough advance notice for logistics. But you still have to wait til the LCS is over for whatever league won the AS game right? We already decide seeding in the playoffs by record, even though there's an unbalanced schedule. While not all AL and NL teams play each other, there is interleague. The every-other-year thing was dumb too. Just reward the best remaining team.

Iwritecode
06-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Oh I know. Just makes me chuckle that as soon as he goes back to Seattle, he's deemed to be all star quality again, despite having better #'s at just about every other point in his career.

It's probably because of all the Japanese baseball fans that are also voting for Ichiro.

PKalltheway
06-03-2009, 02:02 PM

The AL has won the All-Star game every year since that stupid rule was made. Did the NL come out ahead in interleague play any of those years?
IIRC, 2003 was the last time the NL has come out on top in interleague play.

WizardsofOzzie
06-03-2009, 02:34 PM
It's probably because of all the Japanese baseball fans that are also voting for Ichiro.

Ahhh, I didn't think about that one. Good point

WhiteSoxFTW
06-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm no stathead, so I'm not sure. But the way I posted seems much more fair than to decide it on one game. Your league deserves home-field if your league wins more interleague games. Makes perfect sense, right? And sure, the AL has been dominant for years, but that won't always be the case.

The last year the NL won the series was 2003.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/history/interleague/records.jsp

Wins by League:
YEAR AL NL
1997 97 117
1998 114 110
1999 116 135
2000 136 115
2001 132 120
2002 123 129
2003 115 137
2004 126 125
2005 136 116