PDA

View Full Version : Should Jerry Manuel be fired?

Viva Magglio
06-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Should Jerry Manuel be fired?

DaveGusinSeattle
06-01-2002, 03:17 PM
Reinsdorf should be fired!!!
Except he's the boss, well let's make that KW and Nardi instead. But JR won't do that - at least not yet. :angry:
Poll on Firing KW anyone??

duke of dorwood
06-01-2002, 06:01 PM
Today, after the big meeting, they play even more stupid and again do not come back against a less than stellar staff. There is no fear,maybe the team cashed him in after blowing the Yankee games. He goes.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-01-2002, 06:44 PM
I voted no. Not yet, anyway. After the strike comes, maybe Reinsdorf will sell and we can clean out the entire barn.

Ah, dreams...

RedPinStripes
06-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I voted no. Not yet, anyway. After the strike comes, maybe Reinsdorf will sell and we can clean out the entire barn.

Ah, dreams...

You've just put me in a good mood thinking of the possibility.

rmusacch
06-02-2002, 09:36 AM
The Sox have hit a bad patch. Jerry should not be fired. A week ago you were praising how the Sox were playing.

FanOf14
06-02-2002, 11:16 AM
I have yet to see many (if any )posts saying how wonderful JM/NC are. They have been inept all year and show no signs of waking up any time soon. I have to wonder how many wins this seasin are because of JM/NC and how many are inspite of JM/NC.

kevingrt
06-02-2002, 11:21 AM
We are very harsh fans... If we fired JM now would that be the first manager ever to be fired with a above .500 record?

raul12
06-02-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch
The Sox have hit a bad patch. Jerry should not be fired. A week ago you were praising how the Sox were playing.

yes, we were praising how the sox were playing, but if you look back at the threads, you'll find a consistent theme....

:firenardi

:firejerry

that song has remained the same. well, here's hopin' for a win today. if we lose, we're tied with the tribe....ugh.

MarqSox
06-02-2002, 07:01 PM
This means very little, but no Sox manager has ever coached the Sox in two seperate postseasons. Ever. Granted, Gene Lamont would likely have pulled off this feat in 1994, but ... there's some "Fire Jerry" fodder for the superstitous.

ISUSoxfan
06-03-2002, 12:21 AM
I say keep Jerry, but fine him $1,000 every time Clayton bats, $2,000 every time Wunsch faces a right handed batter, and $5,000 every time Garland is left on the mound during a late inning jam.

Jerry still has some fire in him, as we saw today. He deserves the opportunity to lead us to the post season. If he can do it after a stretch like this, he deserves a contract extention.

Kilroy
06-03-2002, 01:00 AM
Launch his ass. Is it coicidence that the team mounte the first late inning comeback we've seen in weeks while Manuel was not in the dugout?

Get him on the first boat to Ghandi-ville...

bjmarte
06-03-2002, 01:07 AM
I vote "not yet".

nut_stock
06-03-2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by kevingrt
We are very harsh fans... If we fired JM now would that be the first manager ever to be fired with a above .500 record?

If you mean for the Sox...I don't know. But Mike Hargrove was fired from the Indians after 5 consecutive division championships.

Iwritecode
06-03-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by ISUSoxfan
I say keep Jerry, but fine him $1,000 every time Clayton bats, $2,000 every time Wunsch faces a right handed batter, and $5,000 every time Garland is left on the mound during a late inning jam.

Jerry still has some fire in him, as we saw today. He deserves the opportunity to lead us to the post season. If he can do it after a stretch like this, he deserves a contract extention.

You forgot to fine him for putting Foulke in to pitch more than one inning...

Anyway, I vote no, not yet at least. Sure Jerry should shoulder part of the blame for stupid decision making and tinkering with the lineup but the rest of it has to go to the players for not executing. Mostly the hitters. Where in the world has our offense gone? Why is Durham dropping a routine catch to not get the third out? Also, part of the blame has to go to Nardi. I don't know what he says or does with the pitchers but it doesn't seem to be working. Amazing how the "change of scenery" did wonders for Kip Wells and Josh Fogg but seems to have made Ritchie worse than he was last year.

voodoochile
06-03-2002, 11:59 AM
If they fire him who takes over, Nossek? Most teams do not improve when you fire the manager mid way through the season, so it won't help the team this year. I think they should evaluate him at the end of the season.

Anyone know how long he is signed for? That will factor into any decision. JR hates paying guys who don't actually work for him...

Clarkdog
06-03-2002, 12:30 PM
and here's why.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Manuel for what he did with this club in 2000 or 2001. I think he did some good things and knew how to get the best out of the young talent he had. But that is the kind of job he is best suited for, bringing up young clubs.

While Manuel has shown that he is prepared for every game, he manages by the book. With a good ball club, that will get you around .500. A championship caliber manager, manages through statistics and instincts. It is the instincts that make the difference in extra wins and losses. Manuel has shown that he doesn't have that skill, to break away from the book and trust his gut.

A lot of the bad decisions made, and the poor handling of the bullpen come from Manuel's poor instincts. That in addition to the fact that he cannot inspire this club with his leadership. I think the team sees Manuel as a part of the team, as opposed to the field general. He is far too political with the clubhouse and how he handles day-to-day play. His ridiculous use of Clayton in late inning situations is an example.

Contreras is much the same. He instructs pitchers by the book and that they must be perfect with location and fails to trust his instincts with the pitchers in his staff to get them to just trust that their stuff is good enough to challenge and get hitters out.

Kip Wells threw a 92-94 mph fastball when he pitched for the Sox and sought to spot his fastball. Why? Because Nardi said he got more movement on those pitches at that speed. Wells was pitching at 95-97 against the Cubs and was unhittable.
"I let the ball go now," said Wells, who is 8-2 with a 3.00 earned-run average. "I don't know if my velocity is up but I'm not picking as much. . . . I still miss my spots but when you're aggressive, you have a lot better chance to get guys."

Not a ringing endorsement of Nardi's ability to maximze talent.