PDA

View Full Version : Sox scouting Oswalt??

Rockabilly
05-29-2009, 12:25 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-28-whitesox-bitsmay29,0,6186114.story

kittle42
05-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Hey, Rockabilly! Nice to see you're actually posting real news sources!

In any event, nice job, Trib: "Special assistant Bill Scherrer is following Houston, which is in last place in the American League (http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/sports/baseball/american-league-15007001.topic) Central."

Dumbasses.

guillensdisciple
05-29-2009, 12:52 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-28-whitesox-bitsmay29,0,6186114.story

Rockability, you the man, it is good to see you back in these rumor threads.

Tragg
05-29-2009, 12:54 AM
hope not.

Taliesinrk
05-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Welcome back Rockabilly! For the Sox' sake however, I hope this doesn't happen (it's the Trib so I decided to not even read the article).

Frater Perdurabo
05-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I don't follow this NL that much (other than scouring the rosters of the dregs to suggest players that the Sox can cherry-pick), so my question is from pure ignorance: Why do some of you not want KW to acquire Oswalt?

On the surface, while Oswalt pitches in the NL, he has put up a low ERA in the juice box, which manages to be friendly to all varieties of extra base hits (HRs to LF and RF, triples to CF). Wouldn't that be more like the Cell than cavernous Petco Park?

Any info you can share would be appreciated.

cws05champ
05-29-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't follow this NL that much (other than scouring the rosters of the dregs to suggest players that the Sox can cherry-pick), so my question is from pure ignorance: Why do some of you not want KW to acquire Oswalt?

On the surface, while Oswalt pitches in the NL, he has put up a low ERA in the juice box, which manages to be friendly to all varieties of extra base hits (HRs to LF and RF, triples to CF). Wouldn't that be more like the Cell than cavernous Petco Park?

Oswalt has been injured off and on for the last few years, and at $15M per, I don't think he's worth the risk + giving up prospects.

Madvora
05-29-2009, 09:28 AM
Looks like the writer is just throwing a name out there. Fact-wise all it says is how much Oswalt makes, and nothing about interest or a trade idea.
Pointless.

Craig Grebeck
05-29-2009, 09:32 AM

Lots and lots of innings on that arm. He's also giving up more home runs this year. Velocity is up a little bit, but he's still struggling. Too much money for that type of risk.

Tragg
05-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Because he's beyond mid-career. Just what this team needs - more 32 year old veterans. He's been hard used AND he's declining. And he's a NL pitcher - Williams loves NL pitchers, but they don't love us - Ritchie, Vasquez anybody?

Further most of Williams' "pile on the talent" trades for veterans have not helped. The Sox system is pitching-scarce, so they want to trade whatever talent we do have for a declining veteran.
What is wrong with YOUNG talent, Ozzie?

GAsoxfan
05-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Looks like the writer is just throwing a name out there. Fact-wise all it says is how much Oswalt makes, and nothing about interest or a trade idea.
Pointless.

I agree. Given that Oswalt only pitches once every five games, I would think Bill's scouting more than just Oswalt.

If Tejada would be willing to play 3B, I think he'd be a good one-year rental.

kittle42
05-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree. Given that Oswalt only pitches once every five games, I would think Bill's scouting more than just Oswalt.

If Tejada would be willing to play 3B, I think he'd be a good one-year rental.

That's not a horrible idea - he is off to a good start this season.

Huisj
05-29-2009, 10:39 AM
He's got a full no trade clause according to Cot's Baseball Contracts.

munchman33
05-29-2009, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't trade for a big money SP outside of Peavy until I was sure Clayton wasn't going to get the job done. He's been surprisingly good enough.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I wouldn't trade for a big money SP outside of Peavy until I was sure Clayton wasn't going to get the job done. He's been surprisingly good enough.

You would not trade for Halladay?

PalehosePlanet
05-29-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, why would we want a fearless, 74 games over .500, bulldog of a pitcher, who is one of the very best pitchers of his generation. Makes no sense!

Typical WSI bull**** respones, per usual.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 11:16 AM
You would not trade for Halladay?

His point is that if Richard continues to do well, trading for A guy like Halladay isn't necessary.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 11:18 AM
I really hope Oswalt is not plan B. It is not think I do not like him, it is just I do not know how well an NL pitcher will translate over to the AL.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 11:24 AM
His point is that if Richard continues to do well, trading for A guy like Halladay isn't necessary.

I disagree. I am all for a youth movement, but to get a guy like that, I would make the trade 10/10 times.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I really hope Oswalt is not plan B. It is not think I do not like him, it is just I do not know how well an NL pitcher will translate over to the AL.

This is really blown out of proportion. An ace is an ace. Outside of injury concerns, I don't see any reason why someone wouldn't want a top NL pitcher (Peavy, Oswalt, Hamels, Lincecum and Webb come to mind). Anyone that flat-out doesn't want a guy like Peavy or Oswalt isn't seeing things right.

kittle42
05-29-2009, 11:31 AM
This is really blown out of proportion. An ace is an ace. Outside of injury concerns, I don't see any reason why someone wouldn't want a top NL pitcher (Peavy, Oswalt, Hamels, Lincecum and Webb come to mind). Anyone that flat-out doesn't want a guy like Peavy or Oswalt isn't seeing things right.

Agreed. There is certainly some statistical drop off from NL to AL, generally, and particularly over the last decade, but let's not act like bringing these guys to the AL makes them mid-rotation pitchers.

For the folks who never seem to want *any* marquee players, who the hell would you actually take? I really think that if the Sox were trading for Chase Utley, Ryan Braun, Dustin Pedroia, Joe Nathan or even Johan Santana, *someone* on WSI would have some reason each of these players would be a bust on the Sox.

Everyone wants the Sox to get better, but no one can ever agree on what outside the organization can help. The fact that anyone was against the Peavy trade, especially after it did not include Beckham, was preposterous.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 11:34 AM

Has Oswalt not been a little injury prone? I think with a pitcher, you need to take in account a few things. What type of ball park they pitch in, what they throw and if they face a DH every night. A sinker baller like Webb, I would want, a certain pitcher who is scared to pitch in the AL and currently pitches in a pitchers park I do not want. As for Oswalt, he has a decent amount of wear and tear on that arm, and for his price tag I would not wanna find out how much he has left. I am not against taking NL pitchers, just ones that would translate over, I.E. Webb, IMO.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 11:40 AM
Has Oswalt not been a little injury prone? I think with a pitcher, you need to take in account a few things. What type of ball park they pitch in, what they throw and if they face a DH every night. A sinker baller like Webb, I would want, a certain pitcher who is scared to pitch in the AL and currently pitches in a pitchers park I do not want. As for Oswalt, he has a decent amount of wear and tear on that arm, and for his price tag I would not wanna find out how much he has left. I am not against taking NL pitchers, just ones that would translate over, I.E. Webb, IMO.

He's pitched 200+ innings every year since his rookie season, save 2003. I'll take that kind of injury prone seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
He's pitched 200+ innings every year since his rookie season, save 2003. I'll take that kind of injury prone seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

I thought he had a few stints on the DL, well then I stand corrected.

cws05champ
05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
He has made at least 32 starts in every year 2004-2008 and pitched over 1600 innings in his career. I don't think we can debate that he HAS been good if not great. But his ERA has gone up each of the last 4 years, and we could debate on how much he has left in the tank. The cost of prospects plus his salary ongoing is what concerns me. I was not opposed to the Peavy trade because he is only 27, whereas Oswalt will be 32 this year....big difference for a small frame power pitcher.

JB98
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Because he's beyond mid-career. Just what this team needs - more 32 year old veterans. He's been hard used AND he's declining. And he's a NL pitcher - Williams loves NL pitchers, but they don't love us - Ritchie, Vasquez anybody?

Further most of Williams' "pile on the talent" trades for veterans have not helped. The Sox system is pitching-scarce, so they want to trade whatever talent we do have for a declining veteran.

Why do you keep insisting that Ozzie won't play young players? The Sox have four young players in the everyday lineup.

And we've got three youngsters in our starting rotation already, in case you didn't notice.

Right now, the "declining veterans" are keeping our big-league team afloat.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 01:39 PM

Have you not noticed in the last 10 years that all our young talent turns out to be ****ty, regardless if they come up with the Sox or get dealt elsewhere?

RCWHITESOX
05-29-2009, 01:43 PM

I'm with you. Any time you can pick up a #1 starter go get him if the price is right. How many teams actually have a #1 or 2 starter for that matter; and I mean one that really qualifies as a number 1 or 2 starter. Buehrle, Oswalt, Danks, Floyd sound pretty good to me.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Ugh, Oswalt is owed $31 M over the next two years guaranteed, plus a $16 M option for 2012 and I'd be willing to bet any trade that requires him to waive his NTC would hinge on someone's willingness to pick that option up.

Yeah, he'd be an upgrade over Richard/Colon (whoever gets displaced), but that's a ****load of money.

Are the Diamondbacks ready to implode their team yet? If the Peavy deal is indeed dead, #2 on Doub's Wish List is Dan Haren.

oeo
05-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Ugh, Oswalt is owed $31 M over the next two years guaranteed, plus a $16 M option for 2012 and I'd be willing to bet any trade that requires him to waive his NTC would hinge on someone's willingness to pick that option up.

Yeah, he'd be an upgrade over Richard/Colon (whoever gets displaced), but that's a ****load of money.

Are the Diamondbacks ready to implode their team yet? If the Peavy deal is indeed dead, #2 on Doub's Wish List is Dan Haren.

Why was money not an issue with Peavy? The Sox were cheap for not picking up the $22 million option.

Peavy was not going to be a Cy Young candidate here, he would not have been worth that dough. I'd actually be more confident in Oswalt in a Sox uniform than Peavy.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Why was money not an issue with Peavy? The Sox were cheap for not picking up the $22 million option.

Peavy was not going to be a Cy Young candidate here, he would not have been worth that dough. I'd actually be more confident in Oswalt in a Sox uniform than Peavy.

The thing I do not like about Oswalt is his age and the amount of IP at that age.

Konerko05
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Haren has one of the best contracts in baseball. I don't see the Diamondbacks trading him. If they did, Beckham and Poreda would most definitely be included among others.

Webb might be shopped when he returns from the DL. His cost would also be hefty, but it wouldn't cost the entire farm system like Haren's.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 02:47 PM

Oswalt is 2+ years older, strikes out fewer batters, and, though his GB/FB ratio is better than Jake's over the course of their careers, it has been falling for 3 straight seasons now, to an abysmal 0.71 in 2009 through his first 11 starts.

I didn't want the Sox to pick up Peavy's option, either. Peavy > Oswalt, JMO.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:53 PM

I agree, but I would feel comfortable with a sinker baller. And I hope Webb is on Kennys radar.

oeo
05-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Oswalt is 2+ years older, strikes out fewer batters, and, though his GB/FB ratio is better than Jake's over the course of their careers, it has been falling for 3 straight seasons now, to an abysmal 0.71 in 2009 through his first 11 starts.

I think Peavy is a product of the NL Worst and Petco Park, and Peavy agrees since he has to, at the very least, stay in the NL.

If you look at their statistics in a vacuum, then yes, Peavy has been the better pitcher. I think Oswalt would be more successful here in Chicago, however. To be honest, though, I don't think now is the time to be taking on any kind of big contract. One pitcher isn't going to put us over the top, and putting that kind of money into one guy could be deadly for the next few years.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
I think Peavy is a product of the NL Worst and Petco Park, and Peavy agrees, since he has to, at the very least, stay in the NL.

But he is an upgrade over Colon/Jose, then again that is a lot of money on a gamble.

oeo
05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
But he is an upgrade over Colon/Jose, then again that is a lot of money on a gamble.

I didn't say I wouldn't take him, he's still a good pitcher. He's just not as good as his past numbers indicate, IMO.

I think there's a better shot of Oswalt's numbers translating to the AL and the Cell than Peavy's.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
I think there's a better shot of Oswalt's numbers translating to the AL and the Cell than Peavy's.

If Kenny is scouting him, I hope you are right.

Boondock Saint
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
I agree, but I would feel comfortable with a sinker baller. And I hope Webb is on Kennys radar.

Personally, I think Webb would be better for the team than Oswalt or Peavy. He's a dominant sinkerballer, and he's been the epitome of consistency through his career.

oeo
05-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Personally, I think Webb would be better for the team than Oswalt or Peavy. He's a dominant sinkerballer, and he's been the epitome of consistency through his career.

I also would take Webb over Oswalt and Peavy here in Chicago.

CashMan
05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

That is why I want him.

doublem23
05-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I think Peavy is a product of the NL Worst and Petco Park, and Peavy agrees since he has to, at the very least, stay in the NL.

If you look at their statistics in a vacuum, then yes, Peavy has been the better pitcher. I think Oswalt would be more successful here in Chicago, however. To be honest, though, I don't think now is the time to be taking on any kind of big contract. One pitcher isn't going to put us over the top, and putting that kind of money into one guy could be deadly for the next few years.

Fair points, while I buy into some of that NL/AL, ballpark stuff I think a lot of that has been overblown in the Peavy talks, but that's just a point we'll have to disagree on and move forward.

Yes, Peavy's contract is expensive, but he's not even 28 years old yet and the deal runs through 2011 (w/ no option), meaning the Sox would have potentially a top tier pitcher locked for the next few seasons at an average of $16 M/year. Yeah, that's quite a sum but the Sox are shedding some massive contracts after this season and that is well what Peavy's worth would be on the open market, if not cheaper than a deal he could fetch.

KW seems to love picking guys up, especially pitchers, with a few years left on their contract instead of just finding a 1-and-done type guy. Peavy would be here through the rest of his prime years and combined with Buehrle, would give the Sox one of the best 1-2, R/L tandems at the top of a pitching rotation. Add Floyd and Danks (if they can pull their **** together), and you have a stellar rotation that is potentially, arguably as good as the staff that lead us to the World Series 4 years ago.

On top of that, San Diego was most interested in shedding Peavy's contract, so they were seemingly willing to dump Jake for next to nothing prospect-wise. I know some people love Poreda, but there is still considerable skepticism as to whether or not he'll ever amount to a reliable starter. Granted, who knows who the PTBNL were, but this trade seemed to be built around Poreda and Richard. That's an absolute steal for the Sox. I don't know how precarious Houston's financial situation is and how badly they'd like to rid themselves of Oswalt (if they even want to at all), but I'm not sure the Sox will be able to pull off a deal with such high rewards and such low risks, at least on the basis of personell.

SoxNation05
05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I knew you would be back the second I drove you off the site.

Tragg
05-29-2009, 11:32 PM
Roy Oswalt is not an Ace.
Those who are aces aren't aces forever. When you're 32, the window is closing fast.

I/we're stupid for not wanting to dump every prospect we have for a 32 year old pitcher?
Is that how the Red Sox operate?
The Cardinals?
The Dodgers?
The Phillies?
The Braves in their heyday?
The Angels?
The teams that are consistently in the playoffs?

russ99
05-29-2009, 11:41 PM
Roy Oswalt is not an Ace.
Those who are aces aren't aces forever. When you're 32, the window is closing fast.

I/we're stupid for not wanting to dump every prospect we have for a 32 year old pitcher?
Is that how the Red Sox operate?
The Cardinals?
The Dodgers?
The Phillies?
The Braves in their heyday?
The Angels?
The teams that are consistently in the playoffs?

I can't believe how short-sighted that is. Who cares how old he is? Pitchers stay dominant into their upper 30's and sometimes 40's.

Who's to say if Oswalt will do so, but this "everyone peaks at 28" mentality is ludicrous. How does that explain Jermaine Dye, who peaked when he was 32?

Oh and:
Red Sox - 3 starters over age 28
Cardinals - 4 starters over age 28
Dodgers - 3 starters over age 28
Phillies - 2 starters over age 28
Braves in their heyday - Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux are the poster boys for this being a complete fallacy as all 3 pitched great into their late 30's and competitively into their 40s.
Angels - 2 starters over age 28.

My point being, sure it would be nice to get a younger ace like Peavy, but an older guy like Oswalt with ace stuff and makeup (and not so much ace numbers with a bad Astros team) with a more affordable contract would certainly shore up the Sox starting staff.

Tragg
05-29-2009, 11:49 PM
Oh and:
Red Sox - 3 starters over age 28
Cardinals - 4 starters over age 28
Dodgers - 3 starters over age 28
Phillies - 2 starters over age 28
Braves in their heyday - Smoltz, Glavine and Maddux are the poster boys for this being a complete fallacy.
Angels - 2 starters over age 28.

My point being, sure it would be nice to get a young ace like Peavy, but an older guy like Oswalt with ace stuff and makeup (and not so much ace numbers with a bad Astros team) would certainly shore up the Sox starting staff.
That pitchers can pitch well over 32 is not the point. The point is whether you trade the guts of your farm system to get them. NONE of those teams listed did so.

What did we get for Javy? ONE prospect and 2 spare parts. Is he Oswalt? No; but he's got the "Stuff" and he's about the same age.
And an A ball prospect at that. A good one, but A ball.

Tragg
05-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Bedard's another one. He's got a career 3.72 ERA and a whip above 1.30, he had really ONE good year out of several, but people have convinced themselves that he's an "Ace" because of his great "stuff". He's a Javy; he's an AJ Burnett.
Seattle made a terrible trade; and incredibly, they're likely to be bailed out. Let it not be us: Flowers and spare parts.....just what we got for our Bedard.

ChicagoG19
05-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Sportsnite on Comcast Sportsnet just reported that the Sox are scouting the Astros who are in last place. The rumor mill is saying they are looking at Roy. Oswalt's contract is $18MM less than Peavy's.

BadBobbyJenks
05-30-2009, 10:12 PM

:scratch:
Oswalt is not an ace anymore and is on a downward trend.

EuroSox35
05-30-2009, 10:13 PM

And statements like that would make our fanbase the dumbest in sports

The Padres accepted that package, it's time to find someone stupid enough to think that Richard is a stud after these good starts and good something(s) that will help this team. Strike while the iron's hot!

soxfanreggie
05-31-2009, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to getting Oswalt, but I would rather have Matt Cain.

oeo
05-31-2009, 02:14 AM
:scratch:
Oswalt is not an ace anymore and is on a downward trend.

You don't just lose ability at 30 years old. But anyway, it's about how their numbers translate to the AL and the launching pad that is the Cell. Oswalt already pitches in a park that is pretty homer friendly. Peavy pitches in one of the least friendly homerun parks in baseball, if not the least, and to top it off, it's against the worst offenses in baseball.

Boondock Saint
05-31-2009, 06:29 AM
And statements like that would make our fanbase the dumbest in sports

Please inform me of what I said that makes you think that I'm so dumb...if Richard was to continue pitching well, how is gutting our farm system for an ace still a necessity instead of, say, fixing our problems at 3B or CF?

DumpJerry
05-31-2009, 11:08 AM
The Padres accepted that package,

Apparently, Broadway was part of that package.

DirtySox
05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
White Sox Pursue Oswalt After Being Spurned by Peavy (http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4217816&name=levine)

I would love to get Matt Cain but that might be a pipedream.

JermaineDye05
05-31-2009, 01:29 PM
White Sox Pursue Oswalt After Being Spurned by Peavy (http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4217816&name=levine)

I would love to get Matt Cain but that might be a pipedream.

Jeez one person hears the White Sox are scouting the Astros and the media goes insane and picks a name at random.

Craig Grebeck
05-31-2009, 01:46 PM
You don't just lose ability at 30 years old. But anyway, it's about how their numbers translate to the AL and the launching pad that is the Cell. Oswalt already pitches in a park that is pretty homer friendly. Peavy pitches in one of the least friendly homerun parks in baseball, if not the least, and to top it off, it's against the worst offenses in baseball.
I think it's very possible when said 30 year old has logged a ton of innings on a very small frame. I agree with what you're saying OEO, but I think the Oswalt of 2005 to 2007 may be gone for good.

BadBobbyJenks
05-31-2009, 01:54 PM

I didn't say pitchers lose the ability at 30, but it appears Oswalt has.

Since 2006:

06: 2.98 1.17 166 K
07: 3.18 1.32 154 K
08: 3.54 1.18 165 K
09: 4.62 1.36 47 K

The sub 3 ERA 200 K cy young candidate is not coming back.

sullythered
05-31-2009, 02:08 PM
I would love to have Oswalt, but it depends on the price.

Also, why does Matt Cain's name keep coming up? I mean, that would be awesome, but are they shopping him or something?

35th and Shields
05-31-2009, 02:11 PM

Also, why does Matt Cain's name keep coming up? I mean, that would be awesome, but are they shopping him or something?

Right. Obviously Oswalt would be an upgrade but if it's the same sort of package that was talked about for Peavy no way.

Big D
05-31-2009, 03:32 PM

They say they aren't. If they did shop him though, you can bet they'd be looking for a bat in return. They have plenty of young pitching prospects already.

gr8mexico
05-31-2009, 03:54 PM
The White Sox should be giving the DiamondBacks a call.
The DiamondBacks have many issues with that team and sure can use
the players. I'm sure they need to give up something really good to get Haren.
White Sox get Dan Haren
DiamondBacks get Gavin Floyd, Chris Getz & John Shelby.
That would leave a rotation of
Mark Buehrle
Dan Haren
John Danks
Clayton Richards
Bartolo Colon (Aaron Poreda 2010)

BadBobbyJenks
05-31-2009, 04:01 PM
White Sox get Dan Haren
Mark Buehrle
Dan Haren
John Danks
Clayton Richards

Gavin Floyd is not going anywhere.

getonbckthr
05-31-2009, 04:07 PM
White Sox get Dan Haren
Mark Buehrle
Dan Haren
John Danks
Clayton Richards
If the Sox could pull that off comparing Floyd's and Haren's contracts and how they elevate through the years the Sox could realistically still go after an Oswalt or try re-open talks for Peavy.

PatK
05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
I dunno, if he's available cheap, I'll take Oswalt.

DirtySox
05-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Oswalt just not that interested in us.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/report-roy-oswalt-not-interested-in-white-sox.html

Shunned again. :D:

guillensdisciple
05-31-2009, 06:27 PM

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/report-roy-oswalt-not-interested-in-white-sox.html

NL pitchers should grow a pair.

SoxGirl4Life
05-31-2009, 06:37 PM

Screw him.. I hope crap like this lights a fire under their (the Sox) collective butts.

getonbckthr
05-31-2009, 06:49 PM
I get the feeling with Oswalt it isnt a matter of AL/NL its more he likes his location of the south.

Whitesoxfan23
05-31-2009, 06:51 PM
This one stings, but not nearly as bad as the Peavy deal. I never got my hopes up, or gave this much consideration of actually happening. I just find it insulting that players don't want to play for the Sox.

soulfly
05-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I still don't see why we need to toss Richard to the side in any of these trades. I'm glad both Peavy and Oswlat won't come here. I'd rather see what our guys can do before KW makes one of these moves.

I really don't want to see Richard traded for anyone.

getonbckthr
05-31-2009, 06:58 PM
This one stings, but not nearly as bad as the Peavy deal. I never got my hopes up, or gave this much consideration of actually happening. I just find it insulting that players don't want to play for the Sox.
I have a feeling if we were located in like Mississippi or Alabama Oswalt wouldnt have an issue playing for the Sox.
I still don't see why we need to toss Richard to the side in any of these trades. I'm glad both Peavy and Oswlat won't come here. I'd rather see what our guys can do before KW makes one of these moves.

I really don't want to see Richard traded for anyone.
Cant be afraid of selling high on Richard. If there was ever a time to deal him it would be now.

Tragg
05-31-2009, 07:00 PM

I'm with you.
A trade in 2005 likely would have cost us a WS.

guillensdisciple
05-31-2009, 07:02 PM
I have a feeling if we were located in like Mississippi or Alabama Oswalt wouldnt have an issue playing for the Sox.

Cant be afraid of selling high on Richard. If there was ever a time to deal him it would be now.

I agree, most people get caught up with a hot start or good playing time and can't get their grip off them until they come down to Earth. I am assuming Richard will face growing pains once more, and once that happens everyone will regret a move not being made. Take the sure pick and get a proven star while you can.

TheOldRoman
05-31-2009, 07:15 PM
This one stings, but not nearly as bad as the Peavy deal. I never got my hopes up, or gave this much consideration of actually happening. I just find it insulting that players don't want to play for the Sox.Todd Helton and Brian Giles vetoed trades to the Red Sox. Do you think their fans are embarrassed about it?

What the hell is the point of having a NTC unless you use it? You don't have to go just anywhere. Many pitchers would not want to pitch in the Cell because of the way the ball flies. Oswalt already pitches in a bandbox, but if he actually went somewhere else, it would probably be to am more pitcher friendly park. He would likely have the same amount of wins at the end of the year, but it is all about stats. That isn't to say he wouldn't put up with it provided they were given incentives (i.e. option picked up). This is a non-issue to me. Besides, the Sox scouted Houston, not specifically Oswalt, no trade offer has been made, and the reporter asked Oswalt about a hypothetical. No big deal.

soulfly
05-31-2009, 07:31 PM

Or what if he actually turns out to be one hell of a picture? He's just finally starting to come into his own. I think he's going to be one hell of a pitcher. Marks been a great teacher to both him and Danks.

I hope Richard gets a great shot to show what he can do on this staff.

esbrechtel
05-31-2009, 07:39 PM
White Sox get Dan Haren
Mark Buehrle
Dan Haren
John Danks
Clayton Richards

Why does everyone keep calling him that? :scratch:

Isn't it Clayton Richard?

getonbckthr
05-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Or what if he actually turns out to be one hell of a picture? He's just finally starting to come into his own. I think he's going to be one hell of a pitcher. Marks been a great teacher to both him and Danks.

I hope Richard gets a great shot to show what he can do on this staff.
Thats the art of a good trade. Everyone wins from it.

RockJock07
05-31-2009, 08:53 PM
Not that surprised that Oswalt isn't interested. Peavy and Oswalt are from similar parts of the country and are very good friends.

At this point KW needs to look at Bedard. Of the pitchers rumored to be on the market he would cost the least, he's still going to command a pretty penny in return but he's still young and the sox can lock him up.

sullythered
05-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Not that surprised that Oswalt isn't interested. Peavy and Oswalt are from similar parts of the country and are very good friends.

At this point KW needs to look at Bedard. Of the pitchers rumored to be on the market he would cost the least, he's still going to command a pretty penny in return but he's still young and the sox can lock him up.
I wouldn't pay a pretty penny for half a year of his services. Actually I probably wouldnt trade ONE of the two that were reportedly involved in the Peavy deal for half a year of Bedard.

DirtySox
05-31-2009, 10:13 PM
This is clearly a sign that we will be trading for Matt Cain. Besides, the Giants don't need pitching with Alderson and MadBum on the way. Amirite?

The Immigrant
05-31-2009, 11:01 PM
I wouldn't pay a pretty penny for half a year of his services.

He could net us two draft picks if he walks at the end of the year. That's part of the equation.

CashMan
05-31-2009, 11:03 PM
He could net us two draft picks if he walks at the end of the year. That's part of the equation.

Are those 2 draft picks going to be better than the players we give up?

getonbckthr
05-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Are those 2 draft picks going to be better than the players we give up?
Sure if Bedard is a key component towards any sort of a post-season run.

CashMan
05-31-2009, 11:20 PM
Sure if Bedard is a key component towards any sort of a post-season run.

I just looked his stats up, he has never pitched 200 innings. No thanks!

MeteorsSox4367
05-31-2009, 11:23 PM
ESPN just reported on the crawl that Oswalt would invoke his no-trade in a deal with the Sox, according to the Houston Chronicle.

Red Barchetta
05-31-2009, 11:30 PM
ESPN just reported on the crawl that Oswalt would invoke his no-trade in a deal with the Sox, according to the Houston Chronicle.

First Peavy, now Oswalt. Sort of makes you wonder what MLB players in general, think of the White Sox organization?!

CashMan
05-31-2009, 11:33 PM
First Peavy, now Oswalt. Sort of makes you wonder what MLB players in general, think of the White Sox organization?!

Or, NL pitchers are scared of the AL.

balke
05-31-2009, 11:49 PM
I think Oswalt is good, but he is a strikeout pitcher who is losing his stuff. I don't think this is a good time for anyone to be trading for him. I'm pretty shocked he wouldn't want to come to Chicago. The Sox spend money, can get to the playoffs consistantly, and have the pitching to win in the playoffs. Doesn't he remember 2005?

If you can't beat em, join em Roy.

Tragg
06-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't pay a pretty penny for half a year of his services. Actually I probably wouldnt trade ONE of the two that were reportedly involved in the Peavy deal for half a year of Bedard.
What did Cleveland get for the 1/2 year rent of Sabathia? That should be the absolute max of what Bedard's worth for a 1/2 year rental. And probably less as Sabathia's a more accomplished pitcher.

WhiteSoxFan84
06-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Peavy rejected us. Now Oswalt is letting us know not to bother. Who's next? I still say Brandon Webb should be the guy we go after and we do whatever it takes to get him and ink him to a long-term deal before the trade is finalized. IMO, he would be the best out of all 3 of those guys for our White Sox.

It's sad that two guys like Peavy and Oswalt would rather stick with losing organizations with no chance of contending anytime soon. This instead of being the fourth and possibly final piece of a World Series contending rotation here with the Sox.

oeo
06-01-2009, 01:40 AM

Probably that we're just a middle of the road team right now? Not terrible, but still need some work to be a legit World Series contender. However, we're playing pretty well right now, and another pitcher could put us into the postseason.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-01-2009, 02:37 AM
Probably that we're just a middle of the road team right now? Not terrible, but still need some work to be a legit World Series contender. However, we're playing pretty well right now, and another pitcher could put us into the postseason.

But what's funny is that this comes from two players on SD and Houston, organizations that are alot worse than the Sox IMO, especially Houston.

cards press box
06-01-2009, 03:01 AM

I'm glad that Oswalt does not want to come here. It seems that his best pitching days are behind him. Once again, I would rather see the Sox keep their prospects.

mantis1212
06-01-2009, 10:05 AM
He's probably been scared of the AL ever since the Sox smoked him in Game 3. :cool:

Luke
06-01-2009, 10:22 AM
I might have simply missed it, or not searched hard enough when I heard this, but I haven't seen any quotes from Oswalt. I've just seen a ton of reports that refer to the live blog from Jose de Jesus Ortiz. He didn't cite any sources, he didn't offer any quotes. He just stated definitively that he knows this. Isn't that called speculation?

LoveYourSuit
06-01-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm glad that Oswalt does not want to come here. It seems that his best pitching days are behind him. Once again, I would rather see the Sox keep their prospects.

And not win this year?:?:

captainclutch24
06-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Jake Peavy and Roy are real good friends so they probably talked a lot. I remember in his press conference jake mentioned his buddy Roy, and I think that is who he was talking about

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2009, 01:07 PM
If we can land Webb for the same package we were going to send to San Diego, do it right now.

scarsofthumper
06-01-2009, 02:57 PM
If we can land Webb for the same package we were going to send to San Diego, do it right now.
No thanks.

CashMan
06-01-2009, 03:03 PM
No thanks.

Why?

guillensdisciple
06-01-2009, 03:32 PM
No thanks.

:o::o::o::o::o:

NLaloosh
06-01-2009, 03:37 PM

Getting either one wouldn't convince me the Sox would win anything.

JohnTucker0814
06-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Getting either one wouldn't convince me the Sox would win anything.

It's about getting better, isn't it? Doesn't Webb or Peavy make us better? Then no questions about it, you make the deal. Poreda is no sure thing...

cards press box
06-01-2009, 03:57 PM

I'd would love to see the Sox win this year. I just don't think Oswalt has much left. He is an undersized pitcher who turns 32 this year and who has logged as lot of innings. No thanks.

Peavy has already said no to a deal to the Sox. Consequently, if KW is going to deal prospects for a veteran starter, the only one left who interests me is Roy Halladay. if the Sox can figure out a way to get him at a fair price, great. Otherwise, I say keep the prospects and keep developing for the '09, '10, '11 and '12 seasons.

eriqjaffe
06-01-2009, 04:18 PM
the only one left who interests me is Roy HalladayDoesn't he have a NTC as well?

cws05champ
06-01-2009, 04:45 PM
Doesn't he have a NTC as well?
If Halladay were to turn us down to stay in Toronto and in the Yanks/Red Sox/Rays division, I would start to really worry.

Since Webb is signed pretty cheaply through 2010(6.5M this year, 8.5M option 2010) I wouldn't mind a deal with him if he is healthy enough to be dealt. The health scares me a bit but his value may never be lower.

I can see where KW is going after the Peavy trade, trying to deal 4 pitchers for one dominant guy to give you 4 solid starters for the next few years, with a bunch on higher level position prospects on their way.

With this years draft heavy on pitchers and the Sox with 5 relatively high picks they can replenish the lower levels.

BadBobbyJenks
06-01-2009, 06:43 PM
No thanks.

:kukoo: And why not?

chisox77
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Oswalt still mad about the '05 Series.

getonbckthr
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
From Kenny:
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/white-soxs-kenny-williams-denies-interest-in-houstons-roy-oswalt.html
My guess is either Tejada or Carlos Lee. Possibly Michael Bourne.

CashMan
06-01-2009, 07:51 PM
From Kenny:
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/06/white-soxs-kenny-williams-denies-interest-in-houstons-roy-oswalt.html

It says Kenny has not talked to the Stros about pitching, does not mean anyone in Kenny's office hasn't.

slavko
06-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Oswalt still mad about the '05 Series.

Crede was the only one he drilled good and he's no longer here. So no worries about a dead fish in the locker. Might have some worries about the dimensions of the OF.

Frater Perdurabo
06-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Crede was the only one he drilled good and he's no longer here. So no worries about a dead fish in the locker. Might have some worries about the dimensions of the OF.

I think he's more worried about the designated hitters inflating his precious ERA.

spawn
06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
From Kenny:
Here's more on this:
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090601&content_id=5092122&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws