PDA

View Full Version : Fernando Martinez Hustle Play

wilburaga
05-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Mets rookie in his second major league game. For shame.

9HS1RVJMdRU

W

waldo_the_wolf
05-28-2009, 01:26 PM
somewhere Carlton Fisk is laughing

35th and Shields
05-28-2009, 01:29 PM
I can't even imagine what Ozzie would do if this was one of our players but seriously, not running that out is a joke.

jabrch
05-28-2009, 01:34 PM
It never ceases to amaze me what some major leaguers do... If they weren't short handed with Church and Reyes both down, I imagine the Mets would make a point of sending him down.

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 01:47 PM
I can't even imagine what Ozzie would do if this was one of our players but seriously, not running that out is a joke.

He would do nothing.

Konerko dogged it out earlier this year. AJ does it too.

october23sp
05-28-2009, 02:17 PM
I understand the no hustle (not justifying it, but I understand it) but why did he not at least start light jogging or walking to first? He just stood there.

35th and Shields
05-28-2009, 02:18 PM
He would do nothing.

I guarantee you every player on our team would jog to first on a high pop-up to the pitcher instead of start walking starting to walk to the dug out. I'm not expecting anyone one to sprint to first on an obvious pop-out, but things like this happen and Martinez could have easily been safe if barely even jogged to first.

This guy is probably the only guy in the league other then maybe Manny that would do this. It's pure laziness that no manager would just let happen.

Zisk77
05-28-2009, 02:30 PM
He would do nothing.

You sure of the situation? sometimes the infield fly rule is in effect. Their is no need to run when this occurs. In fact running can cause confusion if the ball is dropped.

cws05champ
05-28-2009, 02:48 PM
He would do nothing.

Konerko WAS running, it just looked like he was standing still in the batters box.

Chez
05-28-2009, 02:49 PM
You sure of the situation? sometimes the infield fly rule is in effect. Their is no need to run when this occurs. In fact running can cause confusion if the ball is dropped.

No. There was no runner on first and, thus, no infield fly rule.

Viva Medias B's
05-28-2009, 03:41 PM

Should be a one-way ticket to Charlotte. Of course, Fernando's manager is you-know-who. Then again, if Fernando refuses to take part in a shuttle drill...

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 04:19 PM
No. There was no runner on first and, thus, no infield fly rule.

Exactly.

It was a game up in Tampa where he completely dogged it and the ball was dropped.

I will look up the game thread.

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Exactly.

It was a game up in Tampa where he completely dogged it and the ball was dropped.

Here it is:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111038&page=8

Konerko05
05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Exactly.

I'm not defending or excusing Konerko's lack of hustle, but Martinez must be an idiot. The guy is only up for two days and he completely dogs it on a ball in fair territory. You would think a guy in his position would be doing anything possible to make sure he stays in the majors. Instead, he does the exact opposite.

It's happening more and more often in baseball. Veterans are no longer getting on young players for not hustling because they are not hustling themselves. Professional athletes shouldn't need others forcing them to hustle, but unfortunately that's the way it is. Managers need to be more active in this aspect of the game, but the amounts of money players are making make things a little more complicated.

soltrain21
05-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Here it is:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=111038&page=8

I think you and I are the only two who call him out for dogging it on a fairly regular basis.

I ****ing hate his bat drop sulk.

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I think you and I are the only two who call him out for dogging it on a fairly regular basis.

I ****ing hate his bat drop sulk.

Yeah, that bat drop is very annoying. He does it so often that you would figure if he is annoyed that much he would find a way to stop popping out.

Brian26
05-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Mets rookie in his second major league game. For shame.
W

Fernando won't get any ice cream on Manuel's trip to DQ after the game.

veeter
05-28-2009, 10:23 PM
I can't believe a mjor league catcher took a pop-up off the face.

guillensdisciple
05-29-2009, 12:21 AM
I can't believe a mjor league catcher took a pop-up off the face.

I found that more interesting than the fact that the other guy did not hustle.