PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano tossed, bumps ump

twentywontowin
05-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Just happened, close play at home with a wild pitch. Carlos bumps the ump, gets thrown out, throws the ball into the bleachers, throws his glove into the dugout fence, and destroys the Gatorade machine with a bat.

Hilarious.

Whitesoxfan23
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
LOL. Did anybody else just see this? He threw a wild pitch, and the Pirates runner scored and was called safe (he was safe, but barely). Zambrano goes nuts and gets in the umps face and bumps the ump with his shoulder, and he goes nuts and he gets ejected and he makes the ejection motion at the ump.

He then attempts to throw the ball into the stands, but doesn't get it there, and he throws his glove, and then the gatorade machine gets the second bashing of the week. Good times.

palehozenychicty
05-27-2009, 04:16 PM
Just happened, close play at home with a wild pitch. Carlos bumps the ump, gets thrown out, throws the ball into the bleachers, throws his glove into the dugout fence, and destroys the Gatorade machine with a bat.

Hilarious.

Here comes the suspension and last place.

DirtySox
05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
Indeed it was.

The call was good by the ump though. Zambrano tagged the ground in front of the runner.

GregO23
05-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Who was that singing the 7th inning strech?

twentywontowin
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Who was that singing the 7th inning strech?

Tyrus Thomas. That may have been funnier than Zambrano.

voodoochile
05-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Bumping an ump by itself is normally a stiff suspension. Given he's a SP, how long will they give him? He's got to lose at least a week to miss a start, but beyond that it becomes a huge issue because of lost salary (I assume pitchers get paid for every day they are not suspended even if they are only pitching 1/5 days).

russ99
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
LOL. Did anybody else just see this? He threw a wild pitch, and the Pirates runner scored and was called safe (he was safe, but barely). Zambrano goes nuts and gets in the umps face and bumps the ump with his shoulder, and he goes nuts and he gets ejected and he makes the ejection motion at the ump.

He then attempts to throw the ball into the stands, but doesn't get it there, and he throws his glove, and then the gatorade machine gets the second bashing of the week. Good times.

HA! Can't wait to see the video when I get home. :D:

Looks like my wish of a short-CF throwdown of Zambozo vs. Bradley is getting ever so closer to coming true...

CashMan
05-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Tyrus Thomas. That may have been funnier than Zambrano.

I liked Mr. T the best, I loved him leaving "s" off words and sounding illiterate.

GoGoCrede
05-27-2009, 04:21 PM

That poor Gatorade machine. I'm bummed to see the abuse it's taking. It looks like an awesome machine with lots of different flavors.

Did he get fined?

twentywontowin
Bumping an ump by itself is normally a stiff suspension. Given he's a SP, how long will they give him? He's got to lose at least a week to miss a start, but beyond that it becomes a huge issue because of lost salary (I assume pitchers get paid for every day they are not suspended even if they are only pitching 1/5 days).

Here's the thing now, looking at the replay they showed, it now looks like the ump initiated the contact by putting his shoulder into Zambrano's, and Zambrano pushed it back. Soon as Zambrano pushed back, he got tossed. Surprisingly, Lou kept his cool.

These umps are sure getting gutsy this season with player contact.

DSpivack
I liked Mr. T the best, I loved him leaving "s" off words and sounding illiterate.

Ozzie Osbourne or Ditka were the best ones.

Risk
05-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Ozzie Osbourne or Ditka were the best ones.

Don't forget Steve "Mongo" McMichael.

Risk

BadBobbyJenks
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM

Seems like they have been doing 6 games and then the appeal drops to 5 and you still miss a start. I suppose this could be longer because of the rest of the antics.

Did that throw make it into the bleachers? I didn't see where it landed.

That was a good call by the ump, he was tagged on the chest after his hands were already on the plate.

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Don't forget Steve "Mongo" McMichael.

Risk

I also forgot Bob Uecker, that might've been the best of them all.

ChiSoxFan81
05-27-2009, 04:29 PM
:stooges:

Can't wait to see the video later!

doublem23
05-27-2009, 04:30 PM
There are few things non-White Sox related that make my day more than a Zambrantrum.

http://thesportsaddict.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/barrett-zambrano.jpg

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Seems like they have been doing 6 games and then the appeal drops to 5 and you still miss a start.You don't even have to miss a start if there's an off day in there. At worst, you get pushed back a day or two.

doublem23
05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
You don't even have to miss a start if there's an off day in there. At worst, you get pushed back a day or two.

Even if he's just pushed back a few days, that still forces the Cubs to start someone else in his place, right? Anyway, with SP, suspension length has a lot more to do with the amount of pay you're losing rather than what starts you may or may not miss.

BadBobbyJenks
05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
You don't even have to miss a start if there's an off day in there. At worst, you get pushed back a day or two.

True, it is not really missing a start, just delaying it.

jabrch
05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
The ump who bumped Zambrano should get a suspension as well.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Ryan Dempster and Carlos Zambrano are batting 1.000.

Against the Gatorade machine.

Hey-O!

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Did that throw make it into the bleachers? I didn't see where it landed.

Was it a strike, at least??:redneck

DumpJerry
05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
This ball he apparently threw into the Bleachers, I have some questions:

1. Did they throw it back?

2. Where was he when he threw it? If he was at Home (but it sounds like First from what people are posting), Kenny needs to get on the phone-he's a CFer who can hit!

WhiteSox5187
05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Alas, the Cubs are going to win this game and idiots will point to this as "when their season turned around."

guillensdisciple
05-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Alas, the Cubs are going to win this game and idiots will point to this as "when their season turned around."

Checked out one of their forums, and people are saying that exact same thing.

I feel dirty for checking a Cubs forum- I am going to take a shower.

LoveYourSuit
05-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I am in the minority, but I would love Zambrano pitching for the south side.

guillensdisciple
05-27-2009, 05:06 PM

He is the only Cubs player that I respect.

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 05:07 PM

I've always liked Derrek Lee.

LoveYourSuit
05-27-2009, 05:13 PM

The guy gives you 110% out there every time, all you can ask from from a ballplayer.

Jimmy Piersall
05-27-2009, 05:20 PM

Zambrano would to.

doublem23
05-27-2009, 05:21 PM
I wouldn't mind Zambrano, but he's not having a great year. His ERA is up again, his ERA+ has fallen the last 3 years, his WHIP is up, and he's giving up a lot of flyballs (especially considering he's been a very steady groundball pitcher his whole career).

You could do worse, but you could do better.

kobo
05-27-2009, 05:27 PM
The ump who bumped Zambrano should get a suspension as well.
For as much as I hate the Cubs I don't think Zambrano was in the wrong here. The ump initiated the contact.

amsteel
05-27-2009, 05:28 PM
I've always liked Derrek Lee.

Considering the slump hes been in, he would get eaten alive around here.

downstairs
05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Suspensions on pitchers are a complete joke in baseball.

So you'd suspend a normal player, what, 5 days?

What's 5 starts for a pitcher? One month? Yeah, no chance of that.

SOXPHILE
05-27-2009, 05:34 PM
He really is a swirling turd.

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Considering the slump hes been in, he would get eaten alive around here.

Yeah, I'm not saying I want him on the Sox, I'm just saying I've always had respect for him.

amsteel
05-27-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying I want him on the Sox, I'm just saying I've always had respect for him.

Most definitely, hes always seemed to be a good guy, and until the last year or a so, a monster at the plate.

spongyfungy
05-27-2009, 06:13 PM
He's a headcase but I have to say this ejection was entertaining

whtsox13
05-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Does anyone have a link? I can't find one that shows the whole thing.

Big D
05-27-2009, 06:16 PM
He's a headcase but I have to say this ejection was entertaining

My favorite part was when he made the ejection motion to the ump. "No, you're outta here!"

cws05champ
05-27-2009, 06:31 PM
My favorite part was when he made the ejection motion to the ump. "No, you're outta here!"

I just thought of the Naked gun when Leslie Nielson as the umpire was throwing out the other umpires.

TomBradley72
05-27-2009, 06:33 PM
I think the Cubs (and their fans) must lead the league in overall emotions, tantrums, etc. Ted Lilly leaves the dugout to argue with an ump on a night when he's not pitching (still remember him slamming his glove to the ground in the NLDS vs. DBacks), and now this Zambrano implosion...did the Cub fans bring out their grand tradition of throwing garbage on the field?

I love it...it's their achilles heel as a franchise/organization...losing their cool under pressure or when things don't go their way.

Brian26
05-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Does anyone have a link? I can't find one that shows the whole thing.

It's on MLB.com. I just watched it.

The Pirates runner slipped his left hand behind Zambrano's right foot and was clearly safe. Zambrano was looking at the runner's right hand and thought he tagged him before he reached the plate, but he didn't see the left hand obviously.

october23sp
05-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Does anybody have a picture of what these Gatorade Machines look like?

october23sp
05-27-2009, 07:21 PM

Nevermind watched the video on mlb.com. Why are they going after that machine? It looked like he was drawn to it to destroy it. :scratch:

DumpJerry
05-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Just saw it on Channel 5. It will be all over BBTN and Sportscenter tonight. It's pretty good. He tosses the Ump. He throws the ball. He throws his glove. He beats up the Gatorade machine. But he doesn't do windows.

WhiteSox1989
05-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Just watched the video. Morgan was safe. Zambrano acted like a four year old. If I were a Cub fan I would be embarrassed for him.

That being said, the umpire should be suspended as well.

rdwj
05-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Is that even considered a bump? Good grief.

getonbckthr
05-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Any confirmed reports on where the ball landed? Also what the hell is Larry Rothchild thinking? Did he not see round 1 & 2 of Zambrano vs Barrett? Why would you get near Z while he swings a bat in a passionate form of destruction of a poor quality machine?

Big D
05-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Just watched the video. Morgan was safe. Zambrano acted like a four year old. If I were a Cub fan I would be embarrassed for him.

Are they capable of embarrassment?

ernie14
05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
:dtroll::bandance

Haven't seen the video yet. I'm sure it will be all over the mlb network also.

Where was Lou Piniella in all of this? Was Zambrano the only one ejected?

whitem0nkey
05-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Suspensions on pitchers are a complete joke in baseball.

So you'd suspend a normal player, what, 5 days?

What's 5 starts for a pitcher? One month? Yeah, no chance of that.

just throwing some numbers around.

1 out of 33 starts is 3% of the season

while

5 out of 155 starts = 3% of the season

canOcorn
05-27-2009, 07:58 PM
just throwing some numbers around.

1 out of 33 starts is 3% of the season

while

5 out of 155 starts = 3% of the season

5 game suspensions for pitchers don't cost them a start. It delays it for maybe a day.

Marqhead
05-27-2009, 07:59 PM
I can't find a complete video with gatorade destruction and whatnot, so if someone has a link, please share.

From what I saw it sure looked like the ump made first contact. You can blame Z for blowing up at what he thought was a wrong call, but I don't think you blame him here for bumping the ump. I'm sure the MLB will see it a different way, but that's my .02.

Big D
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6065/eptsportsmlbexperts2270.jpg

The machine was still working afterwards too! It must really be an awesome machine to withstand all that abuse. I have a feeling Milton Bradley will finish it off at some point this season, though.

daveeym
05-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Nevermind watched the video on mlb.com. Why are they going after that machine? It looked like he was drawn to it to destroy it. :scratch:
Just staff competition. Like the 05 Sox went out each start trying to outdo the starter before them the Cubs are going out trying to out destroy the Gatorade machine.

thedudeabides
05-27-2009, 08:26 PM
They are really making a lot of friends with the umpires lately. Bradley complains the umps are out to get him, Lilly tossed when he's not pitching, Zambrano tirade. Sounds like Lou may want to get a hold on his veterans. This team is high drama.

CubKilla
05-27-2009, 08:27 PM
They are really making a lot of friends with the umpires lately. Bradley complains the umps are out to get him, Lilly tossed when he's not pitching, Zambrano tirade. Sounds like Lou may want to get a hold on his veterans. This team is high drama.

After awhile, it's not just the fans that start believeing the hype.

Woofer
05-27-2009, 09:54 PM
I just watched the video on mlb.com. Zambrano definitely took this way too far. The only reason there was contact with the umpire is because Zambrano literally jumped at Carlson while Carlson was still in his crouched position. Zambrano really needs to cool it, he is an embarrassment to the Cubs and to baseball itself. If he hits his coach with that bat, he could have caused him a serious injury. What if a piece of that machines plastic hits a teammate in the eye? He not only needs a suspension from mlb, but the Cubs should suspend him too.

whtsox13
05-27-2009, 10:09 PM
5 game suspensions for pitchers don't cost them a start. It delays it for maybe a day.

If I am not mistaken if a pitcher is suspended they have to miss a start.

kittle42
05-27-2009, 10:13 PM
If these were Sox players, some here would be applauding their fire and passion.

Marqhead
05-27-2009, 10:26 PM
If these were Sox players, some here would be applauding their fire and passion.

There were several people in this thread who praised Zambrano for his passion for the game and the fact that he gives it his all everytime out. :dunno:

soxfanreggie
05-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Poor Gatorade machine. They shouldn't let the Cubs have another one if they can't play nicely with them.

GlassSox
05-27-2009, 11:01 PM
For a pitcher, Zambrano is pretty good with a bat.

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 12:31 AM
There were several people in this thread who praised Zambrano for his passion for the game and the fact that he gives it his all everytime out. :dunno:

He does.

Why, you think he dogs it everytime out there?

kittle42
05-28-2009, 12:35 AM
He does.

Why, you think he dogs it everytime out there?

You're misreading him...he was pointing out to me that not everyone was jumping all over Zambrano.

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 12:43 AM
You're misreading him...he was pointing out to me that not everyone was jumping all over Zambrano.

mia culpa :redface:

rwcescato
05-28-2009, 02:08 AM
HA! Can't wait to see the video when I get home. :D:

Looks like my wish of a short-CF throwdown of Zambozo vs. Bradley is getting ever so closer to coming true...

i saw it on my itouch mlb app pretty funny

Nellie_Fox
05-28-2009, 02:15 AM
If I am not mistaken if a pitcher is suspended they have to miss a start."Missing a start" would mean you didn't pitch until your turn in the rotation came around again. There's nothing to stop the team from starting him on the very first day back from the suspension. So, say you pitch on Monday, are suspended Tuesday-Saturday, you pitch again on Sunday. If you hadn't been suspended, you'd have pitched on Saturday. That's not missing a start, it's just moving your start back a day.

DrCrawdad
05-28-2009, 08:21 AM
"Missing a start" would mean you didn't pitch until your turn in the rotation came around again. There's nothing to stop the team from starting him on the very first day back from the suspension. So, say you pitch on Monday, are suspended Tuesday-Saturday, you pitch again on Sunday. If you hadn't been suspended, you'd have pitched on Saturday. That's not missing a start, it's just moving your start back a day.

As you've explained, the suspensions that MLB hands out to starting pitchers are ridiculous. If you're going to suspend a MLB starting pitcher, it should be at least one week or maybe 8-9 days, beginning after his last start. That way the starter would miss at least one start.

Cangelosi CF
05-28-2009, 10:15 AM
the umpire in question is Mark Carlson from Joliet. He was a senior at Joliet West HS when I was a freshman. Nice enough guy but this isn't his first run-in with a Cubs pitcher. he tossed Kerry Wood back in 2004, IIRC, for arguing balls and strikes.

Also, Ozzie got in it with him (don't recall if he got ejected or not) at a game at Wrigley when Carlson blew a call at first base.

Railsplitter
05-28-2009, 10:41 AM
From qhat I saw of it, Carlson and Zambranno were moving toward each other when they made contact.

TomBradley72
05-28-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd like to see a Cubbie tantrum "greatest hits" video:

Alou stomping up and down after Bartman incident
Sucker punch to AJ
Various Zambrano tantrums
Lilly slamming glove to the mound like a little leaguer in NLDS
Lilly coming out of the dugout to argue with ump when he wasn't pitching
Cub fans throwing garbage on the field (multiple times)

kitekrazy
05-28-2009, 11:58 AM

Sucker punch to AJ

Cubs must lead the league in this area by far. No wonder they signed Milton Bradley. Maybe they should add Pac Man Jones.

And don't forget their leader always displayed some good film footage for tantrums, but he seems to have mellowed out.

kitekrazy
05-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Hendry does a good job of that.

Hitmen77
05-28-2009, 12:12 PM

Sucker punch to AJ

You're missing the grand daddy of them all:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-lee-elia-rant-mp3,0,5241709.mp3file

PatK
05-28-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't think you can blame the ump.

Even if he's moving towards Zambrano, he should know that you NEVER make contact with an umpire.

TomBradley72
05-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Cubs must lead the league in this area by far. No wonder they signed Milton Bradley. Maybe they should add Pac Man Jones.

And don't forget their leader always displayed some good film footage for tantrums, but he seems to have mellowed out.

I actually love it...I think the "hyper-emotion" stuff is an indication of a lack of mental discipline under pressure which leads to them choking. Lilly and Zambrano especially.

Hitmen77
05-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Zambrano suspended for 6 games:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/carlos-zambrano-suspended-for-six-games.html

Hitmen77
05-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Paul Sullivan weighs in:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-28-cubs-britemay28,0,2026219.story

canOcorn
05-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Zambrano suspended for 6 games:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/carlos-zambrano-suspended-for-six-games.html

He's not appealing so Tuesday's start is pushed back to Thursday. So you can go bat**** crazy and attempt to throw a ball into the stands and it amounts to 2 days. Yet, AJ gets suspended a game for getting sucker punched and not retaliating.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4213321

DrCrawdad
05-28-2009, 07:53 PM

Sucker punch to AJ

Mod edit: How many times do we have to delete this WGN copyrighted video? Please stop posting it.

MarySwiss
05-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Mod edit: Copyrighted video removed.

Thanks for the memory. I was at this game! Had a lot of fun with the Cub fans in attendance.

eastchicagosoxfan
05-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Paul Sullivan weighs in:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-28-cubs-britemay28,0,2026219.story
I actually seeing Sullivan's metaphor being embraced by Cubbiedom. Wrigley Field as the Delta Chi House? What a reason to get loaded.

DrCrawdad
05-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the memory. I was at this game! Had a lot of fun with the Cub fans in attendance.

Photoshoppers how about dropping Zambrano into this, 'cos he's Cuckoo For Coco Puffs?

http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/E/EzManrod/1063451710_CocoaPuffs.jpg

DSpivack
05-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Photoshoppers how about dropping Zambrano into this, 'cos he's Cuckoo For Coco Puffs?

http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/E/EzManrod/1063451710_CocoaPuffs.jpg

I wouldn't mind the Sox getting Coco Crisp. :dunno:

Whappeh
05-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Mod edit: And this video even showed the WGN logo. Stop trying to get WSI sued.

Any reproduction, retransmission, or rebroadcast without the expressed written consent of Major League Baseball is strictly prohibited

BadBobbyJenks
05-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Hendry does a good job of that.

http://a.espncdn.com/i/headshots/mlb/players/65/5795.jpg Really? 5 million Jim, are you sure? Of course I'll take it!

LoveYourSuit
05-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Mod edit: and I get to remove it a second time.

Z throwing out the ump was priceless.

kitekrazy
05-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I actually love it...I think the "hyper-emotion" stuff is an indication of a lack of mental discipline under pressure which leads to them choking. Lilly and Zambrano especially.

The opposition knows it and they'll take every opportunity to take advantage of it.

Chez
05-29-2009, 12:03 PM
He's not appealing so Tuesday's start is pushed back to Thursday. So you can go bat**** crazy and attempt to throw a ball into the stands and it amounts to 2 days. Yet, AJ gets suspended a game for getting sucker punched and not retaliating.

I recall A.J. was fined (something relatively trivial to him like $100.00) not suspended.

jdm2662
05-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I recall A.J. was fined (something relatively trivial to him like $100.00) not suspended.

He was not suspended. Barrett got ten games and Anderson got five games, which both deserved it.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 12:51 PM

Z also loses 6 days of pay. That's a big amount of money... By my estimates it's over $600,000 in lost pay. You think this is a slap on the wrist, think again.

And before someone comments on how much Z makes and how he can afford it, NO ONE likes to afford $600,000 in lost money...

UChicagoHP
05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Z also loses 6 days of pay. That's a big amount of money... By my estimates it's over $600,000 in lost pay. You think this is a slap on the wrist, think again.

And before someone comments on how much Z makes and how he can afford it, NO ONE likes to afford $600,000 in lost money...

Agreed, it's almost a joke...600k, really, sounds like a nice scam...

canOcorn
05-29-2009, 01:34 PM

Meh. 3% of his salary for going bat**** crazy. Most people should be so lucky.

voodoochile
05-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Meh. 3% of his salary for going bat**** crazy. Most people should be so lucky.

Closer to 4. Would you sacrifice 4% of your yearly salary without being pissed off? That's two weeks pay in the real world.

Edit: sorry, it is closer to 3 but that's still 1.5 weeks for most people. I don't know two many people who will give up that money without being pissed.