PDA

View Full Version : Carl Crawford potential 100 SB season?

waldo_the_wolf
05-27-2009, 03:33 AM
Last night, Tampa Bay's Carl Crawford swiped his 30th base of the season in team game number 48. (He has yet to be caught stealing this year which is absolutely mind-boggling.) With all the talk nowadays about steals being a lost art, it would be awesome to have a player reach the century mark this season. I've always been a Carl Crawford fan and I love stolen bases so I'm definitely rooting for him to get there. How likely does everyone think it is that we'll see 100 thefts from Carl in 2009? Of course, as always he has to stay healthy, yadda yadda yadda.

waldo_the_wolf
05-27-2009, 04:13 AM
For anyone who was wondering, as I was, the last 100 steal season in MLB was in 1987 when Vince Coleman of the Cardinals stole 109. It hasn't happened in the AL since 1983 when Rickey Henderson of Oakland stole 108.

Marqhead
05-27-2009, 07:38 AM
I would love to see the return of the 100 steal man. It's a part of the game that is very exciting, and fun to watch. I enjoy seeing speed's effect on a pitcher, and it's general game changing quality.

With Reyes on the DL, Crawford is now the premiere speedster of the MLB.

asindc
05-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I also love the speed game in baseball. I hope Crawford makes it to at least 100 while getting thrown out every time he attempts a steal against the Sox.

35th and Shields
05-27-2009, 09:36 AM
I would love to see the return of the 100 steal man. It's a part of the game that is very exciting, and fun to watch. I enjoy seeing speed's effect on a pitcher, and it's general game changing quality.

With Reyes on the DL, Crawford is now the premiere speedster of the MLB.

Me too. Stealing bases is a very underrated ability in my mind. If anytime you get a base hit or walk and you have the ability to steal second at pretty good clip it's a HUGE advantage.

MushMouth
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM
It'd be interesting if you added SB's to a player's slugging (total bases) and see where it boosted a guy like Crawford. Maybe one of the stat sites already does that? :scratch:

100 extra bases over a year is just huge.

pythons007
05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Ellsbury is already at 20, its still 10 less (which is a pretty big gab). He is another young base stealer.

waldo_the_wolf
05-31-2009, 03:56 PM
Uh oh, looks like I jinxed old Craw-dad. He hasn't stolen since I started this thread.

Nellie_Fox
06-01-2009, 01:17 AM
100 stolen bases is very hard to do. The body takes a huge beating from all the sliding, the diving back to first, the false starts on foul balls. Guys who get up in those numbers are one huge bruise and strawberry by September.

guillen4life13
06-01-2009, 03:03 AM
Maybe this is out of the realm of possibility, but do you think prolific base stealers such as Crawford may wear some extra protection under the uniform to cover the parts of the body most affected by base stealing, etc?

Also, at least from my experience in Little Leagues as primarily a leadoff hitter and base stealer, I didn't experience any major hurts from sliding, etc. These guys should have the technique down to where they aren't drastically affected by sliding, etc. The worst thing that could have happened to me while sliding is that my groin made contact with the 2nd baseman's foot when I was sliding into the base. I was wearing a cup/jockstrap so I was fine and it only happened once.

Boondock Saint
06-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Also, at least from my experience in Little Leagues as primarily a leadoff hitter and base stealer, I didn't experience any major hurts from sliding, etc. These guys should have the technique down to where they aren't drastically affected by sliding, etc. The worst thing that could have happened to me while sliding is that my groin made contact with the 2nd baseman's foot when I was sliding into the base. I was wearing a cup/jockstrap so I was fine and it only happened once.

Age and repetition changes that a lot. I'm sure that it'd hurt plenty if you played a 162 game schedule in the little leagues.

Huisj
06-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Not to mention that a little league body does not take as much of a beating hitting the ground as a big major league body. Kids are shorter, lighter, and don't go as fast, and that means a lot less impact hitting the ground for a slide.

Nellie_Fox
06-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Maybe this is out of the realm of possibility, but do you think prolific base stealers such as Crawford may wear some extra protection under the uniform to cover the parts of the body most affected by base stealing, etc? Yes, they wear sliding pads, but that only does so much.

Also, at least from my experience in Little Leagues as primarily a leadoff hitter and base stealer, I didn't experience any major hurts from sliding, etc. These guys should have the technique down to where they aren't drastically affected by sliding, etc. The worst thing that could have happened to me while sliding is that my groin made contact with the 2nd baseman's foot when I was sliding into the base. I was wearing a cup/jockstrap so I was fine and it only happened once.To sum up the correct responses to this already posted, you weighed, what, 80 pounds? Try weighing around 200 and going twice as fast and grind that into the ground. How many games did you play? How many steal attempts in that handful of games? You can't remotely compare stealing a handful of bases in Little League to stealing 100 in MLB.

I've heard both Ricky Henderson and Lou Brock talk about how torn up they were by the end of the year.