PDA

View Full Version : Quentin out until Friday (at least)

DirtySox
05-26-2009, 08:32 PM
Per Cowley and Gonzales, Q went back to Chicago for more tests.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/

http://twitter.com/MDGonzales

DirtySox
05-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Gonzales just updated again, and evidently Friday has now been changed to Monday.

If a mod could edit my post title I would appreciate it.

SoxGirl4Life
05-26-2009, 08:41 PM
I saw that about the "pop". When I looked it up, it looks like its a really long term healing process. i'd be surprised if he doesn't go on the DL

Here's a blurb, fwiw:

The patient will often recall feeling or hearing a "pop". When examined there may be pain when the toes are passively bent upwards (dorsiflexed). The usual treatment for this injury is non-weight bearing for 1 - 3 weeks in a cast and total casting for about 4 - 6 weeks. Full recovery will take 7 to 12 weeks.

http://www.drpribut.com/sports/heelhtm.htm

DonnieDarko
05-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Quentin out for practically the rest of the season? Dammit! >_<

I hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence with Quentin.

JB98
05-26-2009, 09:00 PM

So, out until at least Monday means "out for practically the rest of the season?" :?:

DirtySox
05-26-2009, 09:05 PM
A non Twitter source:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/05/white-soxs-carlos-quentin-to-return-to-chicago-could-be-out-until-monday.html

delben91
05-26-2009, 09:09 PM

You mean Buehrle broke his foot shagging flies in the outfield and his career is over!?!?!?! Dammit!!

thomas35forever
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Put him on the DL. No need to take up a roster spot for a road trip.

JB98
05-26-2009, 09:26 PM

Valid point, but who do we call up? :scratch:

tacosalbarojas
05-26-2009, 09:34 PM

I hope this doesn't become a regular occurrence with Quentin.It already is.

chisoxfanatic
05-26-2009, 11:31 PM
ESPN.com says that is a good possibility.

CWSpalehoseCWS
05-26-2009, 11:35 PM
Valid point, but who do we call up? :scratch:
http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_452121.jpgRemember me?

:whiner:

My guess would be Wise. Figure by Monday he should be ready.

JB98
05-26-2009, 11:53 PM

My guess would be Wise. Figure by Monday he should be ready.

If they decided to wait that long, I would say you are correct. I was just thinking, if they want to DL Quentin to get an extra player for the road trip, who would they call up? Wise needs a few games in AAA this week.

I guess Lillibridge would be the guy, but frankly, he needs to play in AAA.

DumpJerry
05-27-2009, 12:05 AM

After the chewing out Ozzie game him on his way to Charlotte for swinging the bat like he's the next Hank Aaron, I doubt it.

On the pre-game show, they said they will rest and treat him in Chicago until the team gets home Monday and just go with 24 guys until then.

doublem23
05-27-2009, 01:17 PM
Here is Black Jack's take on TCQ's injury.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/black-jack-white-sox/2009/05/white-sox-quentin.html

****ty. :(:

DirtySox
05-27-2009, 01:21 PM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=8953

Quentin is midway through the article.

LITTLE NELL
05-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Quentin is wound up so tight I wonder if all this tension leads to all these injuries. Maybe he needs to spend double time in the whirlpool or some time with a massage therapist.

voodoochile
05-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Quentin is so wound up tight I wonder if all this tension leads to all these injuries. Maybe he needs to spend double time in the whirlpool or some time with a massage therapist.

No, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is working his body too hard. There's a fine line between intense workouts and abuse. Knowing TCQ's intensity, it wouldn't shock me to find out he's crossing that line...

Flight #24
05-27-2009, 02:44 PM
It's all those practice swings he takes in the grocery store, whirlpool, etc!

Harry Chappas
05-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Quentin is so wound up tight I wonder if all this tension leads to all these injuries. Maybe he needs to spend double time in the whirlpool or some time with a massage therapist.

...or he should consider popping a xanax or two.

october23sp
05-27-2009, 02:54 PM
I know we have been playing well the last couple of games, but lets be honest, this season will end up being a total wash. Why not have him get the surgery and end his season, :(::whiner:I know, I know, and have him back next year for the 2010 campaign healthy and good.

DonnieDarko
05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
So, out until at least Monday means "out for practically the rest of the season?" :?:

The patient will often recall feeling or hearing a "pop". When examined there may be pain when the toes are passively bent upwards (dorsiflexed). The usual treatment for this injury is non-weight bearing for 1 - 3 weeks in a cast and total casting for about 4 - 6 weeks. Full recovery will take 7 to 12 weeks.

That. That's almost the rest of the season.

KMcMahon817
05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
I know we have been playing well the last couple of games, but lets be honest, this season will end up being a total wash. Why not have him get the surgery and end his season, :(::whiner:I know, I know, and have him back next year for the 2010 campaign healthy and good.

Wow....It's a minor injury. Carlos will be fine in a week. The sox are 4.5 games out, with a little under 3/4's of the season to go. Have some confidence in your squad.:mad:

DirtySox
05-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow....It's a minor injury. Carlos will be fine in a week. The sox are 4.5 games out, with a little under 3/4's of the season to go. Have some confidence in your squad.:mad:

Except it isn't a minor injury. Read what Voodoo posted a bit back:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/black-jack-white-sox/2009/05/white-sox-quentin.html

DonnieDarko
05-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Go tell that to an optometrist and see how quickly they laugh at you.

FielderJones
05-27-2009, 03:23 PM

Carlos needs glasses?!?!

DirtySox
05-27-2009, 03:24 PM
That explains everything!

DonnieDarko
05-27-2009, 03:26 PM
...damn, I thought there was something wrong with that. A Podiatrist, then. :redneck

veeter
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM
The Sox scratched and clawed their way to the divison title last year, without Carlos for September. Can they do it for three or four months? I think they'll make a move. Get well soon Carlos!!!

jcw218
05-27-2009, 03:29 PM

If you go to an optometrist for plantar fasciitis, you'll most likely get a strange look from the doc and sent on your way with an I can't help you. An optometrist is an eye doctor. To properly treat plantar fasciitis, one needs a podiatrist.

Edit: FielderJones beat me to it

ElevenUp
05-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Except it isn't a minor injury. Read what Voodoo posted a bit back:

Just remember that Black Jack was a heckuva pitcher, but not a podiatrist or orthopedic surgeon. Plantar fasciitis is a pretty common cause of foot pain and the vast majority of people who have it do not require surgery. Whether TCQ is gonna need surgery or not is between him and his podiatrist.

bigdommer
05-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Just thought I would add my 2 cents, a penny at a time:

1) In college, I played with two guys who had this injury. One guy would take BP once or twice a week, spend the rest of the time in the training room, and missed the entire season. The other guy struggled through the injury the entire year, but played in about 80% of the games and played well.

2) I wouldn't call TCQ brittle, despite his injury history. His violent swing, tendency to accumulate HBP's, and workout intensity will always make him vulnerable to injuries. One might say, "Smooth out the swing, back off the plate, and switch to decaf," but those are the things that made TCQ a first round pick, and he's not going to change now. He was a stud OLB in football in high school and that's the way he plays the game.

ramblinsoxfan11
05-27-2009, 04:24 PM
I guess Pods can take his old LF position back until TCQ is ready to go and let Anderson start at CF. There isn't any need to bring up lillibridge is there?

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess Pods can take his old LF position back until TCQ is ready to go and let Anderson start at CF. There isn't any need to bring up lillibridge is there?

Not with Wise coming back.

doublem23
05-27-2009, 04:28 PM

Considering he's hitting .208 in Charlotte, I certainly hope not.

Sadly, the best candidates for promotion right now are Keith Ginter and Daryle Ward.

:cuss:

Risk
05-27-2009, 04:32 PM
Considering he's hitting .208 in Charlotte, I certainly hope not.

Sadly, the best candidates for promotion right now are Keith Ginter and Daryle Ward.

:cuss:

Yuck and double yuck.

Risk

GoSox2K3
05-27-2009, 05:39 PM

:whiteflag:

That. That's almost the rest of the season.

7 weeks from today is July 15. Is the season is going to end around the All-Star break this year?:?:

DonnieDarko
05-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Add in another five and that's the first or second week of August--most of the season.

october23sp
05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
:whiteflag:

7 weeks from today is July 15. Is the season is going to end around the All-Star break this year?:?:

I'm referring to the article that Voodoo posted. Stated that surgury is the best way to go. Surgury would end his season according to that article.

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm referring to the article that Voodoo posted. Stated that surgury is the best way to go. Surgury would end his season according to that article.

The article was merely speculation from Black Jack, though. He's not exactly an expert.

october23sp
05-27-2009, 09:47 PM
The article was merely speculation from Black Jack, though. He's not exactly an expert.

I'm merely a message board poster and nowhere near an expert.:redneck

But, what I am saying is that if surgury is by far and away the best way to go, I think for the future of the Sox he should get the surgury. I'm not usually much of a future thinker either, but TCQ is too good for us to have him play hurt when it will affect his career.

But maybe I'm totally wrong (which I probably am).

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm merely a message board poster and nowhere near an expert.:redneck

But, what I am saying is that if surgury is by far and away the best way to go, I think for the future of the Sox he should get the surgury. I'm not usually much of a future thinker either, but TCQ is too good for us to have him play hurt when it will affect his career.

But maybe I'm totally wrong (which I probably am).

Right, but there's nothing for me to go on right now that surgery is the way to go.

Woofer
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM

I would rather the Sox go with a 24 man team than bring Lillibridge back up.

beckett21
05-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Cutting the ligament is one option. There are better options out there these days, including shockwave therapy (which he already had unsuccessfully, apparently).

There is a newer procedure which involves microfasciotomy, or pin-hole fenestrations into the ligament with a special coblation wand to reduce scar tissue within the fascia and improve blood flow. Check out www.topazinfo.com (http://www.topazinfo.com) if anyone is curious.

I have been doing shockwave therapy (ESWT) for over 5 years now with pretty good results. I started doing the topaz procedure about two months ago myself, and the results have been impressive to me so far. The best thing about the topaz procedure is the reduced down time as compared to fasciotomy (cutting the ligament). With the topaz procedure he could probably be back on the field in 2-4 weeks; with the fasciotomy more like 8-12 weeks. Fasciotomy has been the standard of care for years, but that is steadily changing with new procedures like ESWT (shockwave) and topaz.

If I were treating him, my next course of action would probably be the topaz procedure. I wouldn't do a fasciotomy on an athlete mid-season and expect him to take the field again that season. The topaz procedure would be ideal.

Of course, I'm not treating him so this is strictly my opinion.

DSpivack
05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Cutting the ligament is one option. There are better options out there these days, including shockwave therapy (which he already had unsuccessfully, apparently).

There is a newer procedure which involves microfasciotomy, or pin-hole fenestrations into the ligament with a special coblation wand to reduce scar tissue within the fascia and improve blood flow. Check out www.topazinfo.com (http://www.topazinfo.com) if anyone is curious.

I have been doing shockwave therapy (ESWT) for over 5 years now with pretty good results. I started doing the topaz procedure about two months ago myself, and the results have been impressive to me so far. The best thing about the topaz procedure is the reduced down time as compared to fasciotomy (cutting the ligament). With the topaz procedure he could probably be back on the field in 2-4 weeks; with the fasciotomy more like 8-12 weeks. Fasciotomy has been the standard of care for years, but that is steadily changing with new procedures like ESWT (shockwave) and topaz.

If I were treating him, my next course of action would probably be the topaz procedure. I wouldn't do a fasciotomy on an athlete mid-season and expect him to take the field again that season. The topaz procedure would be ideal.

Of course, I'm not treating him so this is strictly my opinion.

Beckett! Haven't seen you around here for awhile. An informed opinion, thanks!

It sounds like TCQ and the Sox will have several options going forward.

beckett21
05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
Beckett! Haven't seen you around here for awhile. An informed opinion, thanks!

It sounds like TCQ and the Sox will have several options going forward.

I'm more of a lurker these days. :lurkers

I would have chimed in sooner, I just haven't had the time. I'll be on vacation starting Friday for about 10 days, so I probably won't be able to contribute much in that time frame but I'll post when I can if I can add any insight.

Plantar fasciitis can be treated successfully nonsurgically probably 90-95% of the time, but those 5-10% can be very difficult. Even when successful it can take up to 6 months or more. We'll see.