PDA

View Full Version : I have a new worst ballpark now

Fenway
05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I finally went to a game today at the Twinkiedome as well it is closing for baseball. I thought Cleveland Stadium was bad, Stade Olympique landed from Klingon, Oakland was destroyed by Mt. Davis but this dump in Minneapolis takes the prize. Still I am told The Kingdome was the worst. I should be in great shape after 3 more days here....but I like the trolley downtown.

Whitesoxfan23
05-25-2009, 05:58 PM
Glad to see you guys beat the Twins. I commented on your facebook status. I feel for ya man.

SoxGirl4Life
05-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Repeat after me: "Only 9 more games in the Death Dome"

Fenway
05-25-2009, 06:12 PM
One can not appreciate how absurd the baggie is until you see it in person....and I loved how the wind shifted when the Twins were at bat

C-Dawg
05-25-2009, 08:11 PM
I finally went to a game today at the Twinkiedome ...

Today... Monday? I was there Saturday to see the Brewers. A good crowd, and everyone was very good natured. Lots of Brewers fans present (I was rooting for them of course!). I think the traditional Twins/Brewers rivalry is missed. Even Bernie Brewer made the trip from Milwaukee to cavort with Twins mascot T.C. Bear.

But, yes, the ballpark is awful. Maybe its OK for football but on a spectacular 70-degree late-Spring evening it was almost a shame to have to go inside. I've complained before about the narrow crowded concourses and the 40-seat-wide seating sections.

Viva Medias B's
05-26-2009, 09:30 AM
But, yes, the ballpark is awful. Maybe its OK for football.

I have never been there, but the Minnesota Golden Gophers are moving to a brand new on campus open air stadium in the fall. Also, haven't the Vikings made noises about wanting a new stadium?

PaleHoser
05-26-2009, 09:51 AM
I have never been there

You haven't missed anything. Hands-down the worst place I've ever witnessed a baseball game at any level including Little League. Their food was awful too.

Best part of the whole night for me was when I was leaving. The forced air they use to keep the roof elevated pushed me out the revolving door faster than I expected.

I'd rather watch a baseball game in the snow.

cws05champ
05-26-2009, 09:56 AM
You haven't missed anything. Hands-down the worst place I've ever witnessed a baseball game at any level including Little League. Their food was awful too.

Best part of the whole night for me was when I was leaving. The forced air they use to keep the roof elevated pushed me out the revolving door faster than I expected.

A blessing in disguise!!!:D:

NLaloosh
05-26-2009, 10:00 AM
I finally went to a game today at the Twinkiedome as well it is closing for baseball. I thought Cleveland Stadium was bad, Stade Olympique landed from Klingon, Oakland was destroyed by Mt. Davis but this dump in Minneapolis takes the prize. Still I am told The Kingdome was the worst. I should be in great shape after 3 more days here....but I like the trolley downtown.

I've been to both stadiums in Cleve. and Minny. I thought "The Jake" was a great ballpark.

The Twins stadium should be only for football or something else but not baseball. It's terrible and it's the biggest home-field advantage in baseball.

DumpJerry
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Having lived in Minny for seven years (school and hung around after graduating), I had the pleasure of seeing the Vikes and Twins play in the last season at the old Met Stadium and then in the Dome.

Simply put, the Dome is an abomination, i.e., against The Will of God.

I quit going to baseball games there because it just never felt like a ballgame as I was used to a ballgame (old Comiskey with air and a sky overhead). The absurdity came to a head one day in 1984 when the Sox were coming to town for a weekend series. I made plans with my friend who had moved there from here to take in the Saturday afternoon game. When I woke up that Saturday and saw it was 70+ and sunny, I called my friend and we agreed it was too nice out to go to a baseball game.:rolleyes:

LoveYourSuit
05-26-2009, 10:10 AM
the worst part of the park that got to me was that the lower bowl has about 50 rows of seating and the entrance is from row 50.

I had row 2 seasts :o:

palehozenychicty
05-26-2009, 12:00 PM
I've been to both stadiums in Cleve. and Minny. I thought "The Jake" was a great ballpark.

The Twins stadium should be only for football or something else but not baseball. It's terrible and it's the biggest home-field advantage in baseball.

He is probably talking about Municipal Stadium, which was before the Jake and a cavernous toilet.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2009, 12:01 PM

I think he is talking about Municipal Stadium (where John Elway led The Drive), which was before the Jake and a cavernous toilet.

ewokpelts
05-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I have never been there, but the Minnesota Golden Gophers are moving to a brand new on campus open air stadium in the fall. Also, haven't the Vikings made noises about wanting a new stadium?the sex boat scandal killed allhopes for a viqueens stadium

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-26-2009, 12:11 PM
One can not appreciate how absurd the baggie is until you see it in person....and I loved how the wind shifted when the Twins were at bat

I went to a Twins/Orioles game in 2003 and commented on that (we were in the RF corner). All the people from Minneapolis told me "I was imagining things". I pointed to the ripples on the baggie, and they said nothing.

I can't wait til April when it's freezing up there, and people complain it's too cold to go to a game. :tongue:

DumpJerry
05-26-2009, 12:24 PM
I can't wait til April when it's freezing up there, and people complain it's too cold to go to a game. :tongue:
You have to understand the concept of "too cold" to a Minnesotan is different that it is to the rest of us.

ma-gaga
05-26-2009, 01:12 PM
You have to understand the concept of "too cold" to a Minnesotan is different that it is to the rest of us.

I agree, "Freezing" is relative. 32 degrees in March is balmy shorts weather*. There will be some bitching from the prima-donna overpaid ath-a-letes complaining that they have to play in cold weather, but the fans will be fine.

* The sad thing is that I know a guy from Alaska who puts me to shame. He wears shorts all year long. :gulp:

DumpJerry
05-26-2009, 01:38 PM
* The sad thing is that I know a guy from Alaska who puts me to shame. He wears shorts all year long. :gulp:
When I was in school in St. Paul, we had a guy who wore shorts all year 'round. He said it was the only way to get acclimated. IIRC, he was from Cincinnati.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Good point. Maybe I should've said when the games are called on account of snow.

roylestillman
05-26-2009, 02:17 PM
I gotta believe with the winds off the Lake, its stays colder longer down here than in Minny.

The Humpdome was not the worst ballpark I've been to. That still has to be The Vet in Philly c. 1990. I think they may have attempted to spruce it up shortly after that, but it was one of the most sterile, neglected, and dated parks I was ever in. Stade Olympique was a joke. The old Muni in Cleveland was so bad it was good.

Law11
05-26-2009, 04:31 PM
the worst part of the park that got to me was that the lower bowl has about 50 rows of seating and the entrance is from row 50.

I had row 2 seasts :o:

Market Square Arena in Indy was like that. It just went up with no break points.

C-Dawg
05-26-2009, 04:56 PM

And some of those sections are about 40 seats across. So if you're in Seat 20, its a long way to squeeze past all those people when you go for a drink or food.

thomas35forever
05-26-2009, 05:09 PM
I've heard that if you sit behind the plate in the upper deck, you have to angle yourself to see it. Doesn't sound like a good ballpark to me.

I went to a game there back in '06 and the roof made it feel like the game was being played in a giant spaceship. The game was against the Red Sox and Papi hit what should've been a monstrous blast, but it hit a speaker and landed in shallow centerfield instead. Papi could only get a single. The place is a joke for baseball and Francona even said so afterwards.

bridgeportcopper
05-26-2009, 05:39 PM

I beg to differ, I spent a weekend up there in 2006, and my sustenance consisted of DomeDogs, and they were delicious, much better than the new dogs at the Cell this year. On an aside, I had a blast at the bars each night, when the weather is nice, that town has some great beer gardens (the english pub with the lawn bowling on the roof comes to mind as well as some indoor/outdoor bar that had live music that was off the chain).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2240015#post2240015)

The Cell lower bowl entrance is similar as we sat in Row 2 on sunday and that had to be 40 rows down from the entrance. I would never complain as it's downward, not upward. You want something to gripe about, look no further than upper deck at Soldier Field. Get yourself a seat in row 33 of that upper deck and you will (almost) want to give up drinking and yearn for the Stadium Pal!

Fenway
05-26-2009, 06:10 PM
more pics when I have time

Twinkiedome

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024073&id=1014362077&l=3cb6321b7a

Target Field

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024072&id=1014362077&l=1816ec777b

MUsoxfan
05-26-2009, 06:15 PM
more pics when I have time

Twinkiedome

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024073&id=1014362077&l=3cb6321b7a

Target Field

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024072&id=1014362077&l=1816ec777b

I'm glad they're putting a light rail station in at Target Field.

DumpJerry
05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Someone told me today that they are modeling Target Field after Petco. True?

seventyseven
05-26-2009, 10:23 PM
Maybe its OK for football

Vikings games are ok there.

Nellie_Fox
05-27-2009, 02:15 AM
I have never been there, but the Minnesota Golden Gophers are moving to a brand new on campus open air stadium in the fall. Also, haven't the Vikings made noises about wanting a new stadium?They can make all the noises they want. It's not happening unless they pay for it themselves. Even when the state budget was okay it was a dicey proposition. Now? No chance in hell.

the sex boat scandal killed all hopes for a viqueens stadiumIt's been completely forgotten. It's all about the economy and taxpayer funding of stadiums.

I can't wait til April when it's freezing up there, and people complain it's too cold to go to a game. :tongue:When the Twins were playing the Sox in Chicago early this year, it was in the 40's at USCF, and in the 60's in Minneapolis. Have you ever complained about how cold it is at a game in Chicago in April? I know I have.

Fenway
05-28-2009, 11:40 AM
more photos

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024185&id=1014362077&l=9cbeca131a