PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else been following Javy this year?

Whitesoxfan23
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
My 2nd favorite team is the Braves, so I have naturally been paying attention. He is doing pretty good so far. I figured when he went back to the N.L. he would pitch better, and there is less pressure I think in Atlanta. He has like 80 strikeouts so far and is 4-3 with a 3.18 ERA I believe. I always try to follow former Sox players, and was just wondering if anybody else has paid any attention.

Whitesoxfan23
05-25-2009, 04:22 PM
He is still nibbling way too much though, and getting his pitch count way too high early in the game. Lol. I jinxed him I guess. 5th inning meltdown. 2 wild pitches on the day so far.

LITTLE NELL
05-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I did'nt like it when we traded him, he would look pretty good as a 5th starter. He also ate up a lot of innings.

Whitesoxfan23
05-25-2009, 05:31 PM
I did'nt like it when we traded him, he would look pretty good as a 5th starter. He also ate up a lot of innings.

I didn't like it either. I thought the trade was a bad idea.

captainclutch24
05-25-2009, 06:13 PM
My only issue with Javy was his crappy 6th innings that always cost us leads and wins. He was a great pitcher otherwise and would be a huge improvement over our current backend

JermaineDye05
05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
if Flowers can become a solid major league hitter, then the trade will look a lot better. If Clayton can continue to pitch well or along with 3 other pitchers turn into Jake Peavy then the loss of Javy doesn't seem so bad.

DumpJerry
05-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Javy is back in his natural habitat: the National League. Now you know why Peavy is saying no to the AL (except for the Angels, because they are in sunny southern California).

Heffalump
05-26-2009, 06:14 AM
Who cares?

It is like taking a mediocre eighth grader and putting him in the fourth grade league: Of course he will look a lot better!

gobears1987
05-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Two words: "National League"

I don't want Javy and am glad we traded him. He only wins games against ****ty teams. Put him against a team with a .500 record or better and he'll blow it. He is a ****ing wuss who would rather go to his beach in October than pitch on a mound. **** him. He's one of the few ex-Sox players I really despise.

Tragg
05-26-2009, 09:16 AM
We got one legimate prospect for Javy plus the obligatory utility infielder for Ozzie.
When Williams trades for a starter, hopefully, that's all we'll give.

palehozenychicty
05-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Two words: "National League"

I don't want Javy and am glad we traded him. He only wins games against ****ty teams. Put him against a team with a .500 record or better and he'll blow it. He is a ****ing wuss who would rather go to his beach in October than pitch on a mound. **** him. He's one of the few ex-Sox players I really despise.

Thank you. People pining for this guy now were the same ones that put him on the plane back to Puerto Rico last October.

southside rocks
05-26-2009, 11:35 AM
Vazquez performed very well when there was no pressure whatsoever. IIRC, he had an excellent year in 2007 ... when the team was mired in suckitude and every game was torture to watch. Javy was 15-8 that year and his ERA was below 4.00, and well below his career average.

The fact that Javy cannot or will not and certainly does not perform when the pressure is on, makes me conclude that his problems are of his own making.

I don't miss him one bit. And if the Braves make a run at a playoff spot, I expect Javy to fold like a wet newspaper.

veeter
05-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Javy being gone makes me very happy. I don't care how many guys he strikes out. He is pretty gutless in big games.

thomas35forever
05-26-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't care how well he's doing. He's got the mentality of a five-year-old in big games. Just wait 'til he needs to step up in one of those games. We'll see what he's really made of then.

kevingrt
05-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Javy was and is a great 4th or 5th starter. The only problem is/was he was being paid like a #1 or high-end #2 starter. And we are not the Chicago Yankees or Red Saux so we cannot afford top money for fourth and fifth starters. I think this is well known throughout here though.

And the fact Javy had little to no intestinal fortitude was very disappointing as well.

seventyseven
05-26-2009, 09:21 PM
He's a .500 pitcher. Nothing more, nothing less.

WSox597
05-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Lip nailed it. Million dollar arm with a ten cent head.

The slightest bit of pressure, and the guy folds like a lawn chair.

Adios, Javier, you're back where you belong.

asindc
05-27-2009, 09:27 AM
There are some National League fans who "blame" the Javy trade on Ozzie, saying that he put him in his dog house and "forced" KW to move him. I simply inform them that they know not of what they speak. Wrong team, wrong ballpark, wrong league. He is where he belongs.

kitekrazy
05-28-2009, 10:43 AM
Javy is back in his natural habitat: the National League. Now you know why Peavy is saying no to the AL (except for the Angels, because they are in sunny southern California).

Bingo. I wouldn't use his current NL stats to asses the trade was a bad idea.

LITTLE NELL
05-28-2009, 11:17 AM
He's a .500 pitcher. Nothing more, nothing less.
Agreed, but .500 5th starters help you win divisions as long as your other starters are doing their jobs.

guillensdisciple
05-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Agreed, but .500 5th starters help you win divisions as long as your other starters are doing their jobs.

I thought Colon was filling that quota pretty well, also Colon has a history of not boiling under pressure the way Javy has.

LITTLE NELL
05-28-2009, 11:33 AM
I thought Colon was filling that quota pretty well, also Colon has a history of not boiling under pressure the way Javy has.
Just worried about arm issues with Colon, Javy was never hurt and ate up innings.

seventyseven
05-28-2009, 11:47 AM

.500 pitchers shouldn't cost $10M/season.

southside rocks
05-28-2009, 12:48 PM
.500 pitchers shouldn't cost $10M/season.

Completely agree.

Interesting mention of Javy in Joe Torre's book: Torre apparently didn't think much of Vazquez, because of the melting under pressure. When Javy was with the Yankees, Torre had him pitch Opening Day, selected him to the All-Star team, and wouldn't trade him for Randy Johnson (!!) -- after Javy collapsed in the second half of the season and ran an ERA of about 6.80, Torre lost his regard for Vazquez.