It's Dankerific
05-24-2009, 04:38 PM
One of the worst ways to lose.

Soxman219
:(:

Whitesoxfan23
I thought this game was over once Jenks took the mound, and especially after 2 ****ing outs. I don't know about anybody else here, but this loss pisses me off more than any loss this season. This ****ing hurts and ruined what was otherwise a great Sunday.:angry:

Sockinchisox
2 out, nobody out in the 9th.

This one hurts.

cheezheadsoxfan
05-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Very depressing. Well, we took both series at least. Carlos's has to get moving.

Blueprint1
05-24-2009, 04:39 PM
Typical .500 at best team. We can't sweep anyone.

DirtySox
05-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Meh. Our offense is anemic. I don't mind too much since we did win the series.

SoxGirl4Life
Very depressing. Well, we took both series at least. Carlos's has to get moving.

Right. We won both series and had a 4-2 homestand with beautiful weather.

CWSpalehoseCWS
It just seems like we can never get a break. Dotel serves up a HR, then Jenks blows it to a guy that hasn't hit one all year. I hate seeing these games that we should have won get away. Should have swept them. Hopefully we can take 2 from the Halos.

WhiteSox1989
05-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Awful.

I've never been this mad over a loss.

I'm not worried about Jenks-this happens but Quentin is awful.

Whitesoxfan23
I'm glad we won the series, but this game should have been won. It's games like these that come back and haunt you at the end of the season. There is no reason why today's game shouldn't have been won.

SoxGirl4Life
It just seems like we can never get a break. Dotel serves up a HR, then Jenks blows it to a guy that hasn't hit one all year. I hate seeing these games that we should have won get away. Should have swept them. Hopefully we can take 2 from the Halos.

I think we're facing Santana-Saunders-Weaver. I'll be ecstatic with one

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Pathetic. EOM

LITTLE NELL
When you are outhit 16-7 you don't deserve to win.

Soxman219
Should have ended this 5-1, this one hurts.

Whitesoxfan23
Awful.

I've never been this mad over a loss.

I'm not worried about Jenks-this happens but Quentin is awful.

Quentin is really hurting our team. I'm glad for what he did this year, but that doesn't make him suck any less this year.

SoxFan1979
05-24-2009, 04:43 PM
:scratch: :mad: :angry: :whiner:

Rdy2PlayBall
05-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Typical .500 at best team. We can't sweep anyone.:rolling: Lucky if this team makes it to .500! Keep on dreaming.

Frankfan4life
05-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Yes, Dotel came in and failed to hold and Jenks blew the save and lost the game but really our inability to score runs hurt as well. Once again, we squandered some scoring opportunities by failing to hit with runners in scoring position.

Whitesoxfan23
05-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Yes, Dotel came in and failed to hold and Jenks blew the save and lost the game but really our inability to score runs hurt as well. Once again, we squandered some scoring opportunities by failing to hit with runners in scoring position.

True as well.

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 04:46 PM
I am going to say this, regardless of this loss, the next 6 road games will be the most important games of the season.

The White Sox have to have a winning road trip, or I believe we will be stuck in a under .500 hole for the rest of the season. We have to establish good baseball both at home and on the road, otherwise we will just see a bunch of decent baseball with a bunch of crappy baseball.

So far this season looks like the type where there are glimmers of hope, but in the end something goes wrong to ruin it.

Whenever the White Sox look like they are back into it, something goes wrong with either the hitting, pitching, or relief. What makes this worse is that our relief is hailed as one of the best in the majors and we fail to win one of the bigger games of the year (it might not look like much, but this game would have gone a long way in establishing the Sox for the season).

Now we have to wait for the Sox to establish themselves in the upcoming road trip, otherwise we might have to settle for a below average baseball team for the rest of the season.

Also, Carlos Quentin either picks it up in the next few games, or sits down because he is doing nothing right. He does not even look frustrated anymore, and swings at horrible pitches. Him and Alexei were pivotal for the White Sox making their run last year, and if they don't pick their stuff up this team will fall off the map. Dye and Konerko are good to have as supplements to all-stars, but as hitters leading a team they are not the best to have.

Here is to hoping the White Sox take 4 of the next 6 and go back to winning the A.L Central.

DirtySox
05-24-2009, 04:46 PM
So is Quentin the scapegoat or something? Didn't he hit a double and just miss a homerun today? He had the only extra base hit for the Sox. Better than his last few games.

TDog
05-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Part of the outrage is that so many Sox fans thought the Pirates weren't very good because they are in last place in the NL Central and that they can't hit because they were shut out twice by the White Sox.

They discredit Floyd and Richard, of course, for the work they did in the series. The Pirates got 16 hits today -- 12 off of Buehrle.

The Sox scored enough runs to win the game. They gave it to the bullpen up by two with two innings to go. Jenks had two outs and none no and was facing the ninth-place hitter.

There is nothing wrong with Jenks. He's a superior closer. There is nothing wrong with Dotel. Coming into today's game, he had only given up one run all season, and that was a walk that came around to score. But today both got beat. Except for Jenks and Dotel, the White Sox played a great game with superior defense.

Some people believe losses like this are worse than 20-1 losses.

DaveFeelsRight
05-24-2009, 04:48 PM
if getz wasn't a dummy and tried to stretch that single into a double we would have scored, no doubt.

and please, someone get quentin a pair of glasses.

Rdy2PlayBall
05-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Some people believe losses like this are worse than 20-1 losses.They are.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 04:50 PM
The Pirates now have a better record than us. :o:

Whitesoxfan23
05-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Where is the Sox postgame show on The Score? I don't know what the hell I am currently listening to.

JermaineDye05
05-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Play us off, keyboard cat

Jc0lYe-i6wE

SoxGirl4Life
Where is the Sox postgame show on The Score? I don't know what the hell I am currently listening to.

If you're in Chicago, 670 am. Online, i think its at 670thescore.com

Nevermind. The online stream is some football stuff

NDSox12
So is Quentin the scapegoat or something? Didn't he hit a double and just miss a homerun today? He had the only extra base hit for the Sox. Better than his last few games.

I think you are forgetting BA's home run, but I agree that I don't understand why Quentin is the one taking all the blame for the pathetic offense.

Dan H
05-24-2009, 04:53 PM
One simple fact is that this team still isn't hitting. Yes, it was good to go 4-2 on the homestand but the Sox have only scored 10 runs in the last four and a half games. Even the 7 spot against the Twins was somewhat deceiving since all the runs came in one inning and the team otherwise didn't look good offensively. That ninth inning was pathetic.

I'm glad that Danks, Floyd and Richard all picked wins on this homestand. But this team still isn't looking good. I don't expect much right now. Don't understand what has happened to Quentin.

guillensdisciple
Play us off, keyboard cat

Jc0lYe-i6wE

Hahahaha, I saw this on Colbert the other night and cracked up like crazy. This is one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

thomas35forever
How did we lose that game? I watched the 500, but it seemed like everything was in place. If the Pirates have a better record than us, we're in trouble.

SoxSpeed22
05-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Jenks just had a bad day. Buehrle pitched well and the Sox won the series despite scoring 9 runs total.

Rdy2PlayBall
I think you are forgetting BA's home run, but I agree that I don't understand why Quentin is the one taking all the blame for the pathetic offense.It's always fun to blame the offense but you have to blame this one on Bobby and a bit on Dotel for making it harder for Bobby.

guillensdisciple
I think you are forgetting BA's home run, but I agree that I don't understand why Quentin is the one taking all the blame for the pathetic offense.

Because he is supposed to be a LOT better than this, and he is horrible right now.

LITTLE NELL
The Pirates now have a better record than us. :o:
So do a bunch of other teams.

Tragg
Yes, Dotel came in and failed to hold and Jenks blew the save and lost the game but really our inability to score runs hurt as well.
That's the problem. As is, to win a game, the pen must be near perfect. And that's not realistic.
Once again, the Pirates get through our lineup throwing only 105 pitches for the game. Can anyone on this team take a pitch? Can anyone work a count?
Hello coaches and managers- where are you on this, or do you still want your hitters hacking away at everything - "aggressive"

LoveYourSuit
This was just the typical PR nonesense of Bobby pitching to contact and "becoming a pitcher rather than a thrower." He got beat because of location.

So what's it going to be:

Become a pitcher and locate everything on the spot.

or

Try blowing everyone away and avoid contact.

This was an awful way to end what could have been a bounce back homestand after an awful road trip. 4-2 is not good enough IMO when you had the Pirates as part of those 3 games.

This one really hurts when in my mind I thought we would be heading in the right direction.:angry:

DirtySox
05-24-2009, 04:55 PM

Ah yes.

Either way, Quentin was about 2 feet away from going 2 for 4, with a homerun and double. I will take it considering he is freshly back and learning to deal his with Plantar Fasciitis. (and will continue to deal with it all year)

thomas35forever
One simple fact is that this team still isn't hitting. Yes, it was good to go 4-2 on the homestand but the Sox have only scored 10 runs in the last four and a half games. Even the 7 spot against the Twins was somewhat deceiving since all the runs came in one inning and the team otherwise didn't look good offensively. That ninth inning was pathetic.

I'm glad that Danks, Floyd and Richard all picked wins on this homestand. But this team still isn't looking good. I don't expect much right now. Don't understand what has happened to Quentin.
'Roids?:shrug:

TDog

How many opportunities did the White Sox squander? They didn't get the runner home from second in the eighth, but they wasted an out getting him to second by taking the bat out of the hand of one of the Sox most consistent hitters of late. When Quentin doubled with two outs in the second, Anderson got a home run to drive him in. If it had only been a single, Anderson wouldn't have driven in himself. In the fifth with two outs, Josh Fields singled with Anderson on second to score the third run. It looks like hitting with running in scoring position was ahead of the MLB curve today.

EuroSox35
05-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Bobby will blow them once in a while. The problem is this pathetic offense. Year after year it's the same crap, yet one of the boys still has a job. Oh, we have to wait until the weather gets warm and inflates guys numbers? Well that luxury won't be there in the playoffs.

They won't take action, then they can forget about getting my $, I'm sick of this ****. What a coincidence that last year our best hitters, Quentin and Ramirez, were guys that Walker admitted in print that he didn't even touch. How funny that Fields sucks here, goes to the minors, fixes his swing, looks good, until Walker gets a hold of him again. Oh wait, I forgot, not allowed to give accountability other than ripping on fans who don't scream 'go team!' 24/7

NDSox12
05-24-2009, 04:57 PM
It's always fun to blame the offense but you have to blame this one on Bobby and a bit on Dotel for making it harder for Bobby.

Oh, Dotel and Jenks certainly deserve blame too. I was simply pointing out that there were a lot more problems with the offense than just Quentin. I'm confident he will snap out of it soon.

Blueprint1
05-24-2009, 04:57 PM
:rolling: Lucky if this team makes it to .500! Keep on dreaming.

What do you think I meant by at best?

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I didn't get why the White Sox were bunting with Alexei and Pods on first. We were up by one run, should we not try to go for the kill?

LoveYourSuit
05-24-2009, 05:00 PM

I so agree.

I think something drastic will end up being done with the offense.

A) Walker Fired
B) Minor League Players called up
C) Veteran Players being benched.

The 3 guys who competed for the 2B job this spring are God Awful at the plate. Lilibridge, Nix, Getz.

Getz has that upper cut thing going so well he's about to find a Charlotte Knight jersey very soon to go join his buddy Lilibridge.

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 05:01 PM
Optimism or no optimism, I am going to agree with Euro on this one and say that Walker needs to be relinquished of his roles.

It's Dankerific
I didn't get why the White Sox were bunting with Alexei and Pods on first. We were up by one run, should we not try to go for the kill?

Pods should have been trying to steal. if he gets to 2nd, then you bunt over to 3rd with one out. why waste his speed, and ramirez's bat with a bunt. Just plain stupid.

Whitesoxfan23
What will it take for Ozzie to snap? I miss vintage crazy Ozzie who got things done when our team sucks.

LoveYourSuit
05-24-2009, 05:02 PM
What will it take for Ozzie to snap? I miss vintage crazy Ozzie who got things done when our team sucks.

First, he needs to get back to US soil.

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 05:03 PM
First, he needs to get back to US soil.

I think he is not here so he does not have to explode. I am sure that kind of stuff takes a toll on the body.

Frankfan4life
05-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Part of the outrage is that so many Sox fans thought the Pirates weren't very good because they are in last place in the NL Central and that they can't hit because they were shut out twice by the White Sox.

They discredit Floyd and Richard, of course, for the work they did in the series. The Pirates got 16 hits today -- 12 off of Buehrle.

The Sox scored enough runs to win the game. They gave it to the bullpen up by two with two innings to go. Jenks had two outs and none no and was facing the ninth-place hitter.

There is nothing wrong with Jenks. He's a superior closer. There is nothing wrong with Dotel. Coming into today's game, he had only given up one run all season, and that was a walk that came around to score. But today both got beat. Except for Jenks and Dotel, the White Sox played a great game with superior defense.

Some people believe losses like this are worse than 20-1 losses.We only scored enough runs to take the lead. That is all. In order to win, we needed to score more runs. There is nothing wrong with having a four, five, six or more run lead. It takes pressure off your pitchers. We just haven't been able to consistently score lots of runs or score them when we need them.

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I think he is not here so he does not have to explode. I am sure that kind of stuff takes a toll on the body.

I think with his father-in-law close to death, he's not worried about "snapping" over poor baseball

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 05:06 PM
Pods should have been trying to steal. if he gets to 2nd, then you bunt over to 3rd with one out. why waste his speed, and ramirez's bat with a bunt. Just plain stupid.

Unfortunately, Pods can't steal anymore.

Whitesoxfan23
05-24-2009, 05:07 PM
I think with his father-in-law close to death, he's not worried about "snapping" over poor baseball

I wasn't aware of that. My bad.

EnglishChiSox
05-24-2009, 05:09 PM
Because he is supposed to be a LOT better than this, and he is horrible right now.

Perhaps that is where the problem is? Laying the season on the shoulders of someone who has had one good 5/6 of an MLB Season. Why blame him for this loss when the 3-4-5 hitters probably earning a combined 35 million dollars went 0-10 on the day?

TDog
05-24-2009, 05:10 PM
I so agree.

I think something drastic will end up being done with the offense.

A) Walker Fired
B) Minor League Players called up
C) Veteran Players being benched.

The 3 guys who competed for the 2B job this spring are God Awful at the plate. Lilibridge, Nix, Getz.

Getz has that upper cut thing going so well he's about to find a Charlotte Knight jersey very soon to go join his buddy Lilibridge.

The veteran players aren't the problem. There certainly has been no problem with the offense from Konerko and Dye this season. Quentin and Ramirez are hardly veterans. Neither are Getz or Fields. Anderson is a veteran, but someone who is in the game more fro his defense. Barring a trade, and taking the far system into consideration, you aren't going to do better at catcher than Pierzynski.

The White Sox scored enough runs to win today. They came through in a couple of clutch two-out situations. The bullpen did not.

Thome25
05-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Dear God,

Is there any way that you can make Bears training camp/the 2009 NFL season get here any quicker? Thank you!!

Signed,

An extremely disgruntled Chicago White Sox fan.

P.S. Please make the 2009 MLB season go away.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 05:11 PM
This stat is the problem.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_team_stats.jsp?statType=1&timeFrame=1&Submit=Submit&groupByTeam=true&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&sortByStat=R

DirtySox
05-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Perhaps that is where the problem is? Laying the season on the shoulders who has had one good 5/6 of an MLB Season. Why blame him for this loss when the 3-4-5 hitters probably earning a combined 35 million dollars went 0-10 on the day?

Indeed. I'm not trying to defend this terrible offense, but to lay it on Q alone doesn't work. He had a great season last year for sure, but he isn't a proven commodity. There are a few other players who are having similarly bad starts and the culmination of it all is a pile of puke.

wassagstdu
05-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Sox ninth:
- C. Quentin struck out swinging
- B. Anderson struck out swinging
- C. Getz struck out swinging

Wonder what they were all thinking?

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Dear God,

Is there any way that you can make Bears training camp/the 2009 NFL season get here any quicker? Thank you!!

Signed,

Dude, there are 120 games left. Breathe a little, and wait, maybe this team can come out of this okay.

DirtySox
05-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Even though this loss hurt...

We won the series.

We won last series.

Things are looking up imo.

Thome25
05-24-2009, 05:15 PM
Dude, there are 120 games left. Breathe a little, and wait, maybe this team can come out of this okay.

Dude, I'm OK seriously. I was trying to be lighthearted. Besides, what's so wrong with looking forward to the Bears at this point?

JermaineDye05
Dear God,

Signed,

**** football.

This is baseball season.

SoxGirl4Life
Dude, I'm OK seriously. I was trying to be lighthearted. Besides, what's so wrong with looking forward to the Bears at this point?

I'm looking forward to the Bears, too :tongue:

It's Dankerific
05-24-2009, 05:16 PM
Unfortunately, Pods can't steal anymore.

Then he serves no purpose.

guillensdisciple
05-24-2009, 05:16 PM

Woops, I forgot we have Cutler :redface:, you are correct sir I can't wait for the Bears season either.

I get too involved in baseball that I have trouble remembering everything else until it actually begins.

TDog
05-24-2009, 05:17 PM
We only scored enough runs to take the lead. That is all. In order to win, we needed to score more runs. There is nothing wrong with having a four, five, six or more run lead. It takes pressure off your pitchers. We just haven't been able to consistently score lots of runs or score them when we need them.

In order to win, the White Sox needed to have the front of the bullpen do what it does on a routine basis. Three runs should have been enough to win the game. Once you get the game to the front of the bullpen, pressure isn't an issue. (As if having a one-run lead with two outs in the ninth carries enough pressure to melt down a pitcher who held a 1-0 lead on the road in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series.) Jenks' job is to get saves. A save inherently involves pressure.

The whole pressure thing is overrated, especially as it applies to the four front pitchers in the Sox bullpen.

LoveYourSuit
05-24-2009, 05:19 PM

We won the series.

We won last series.

Things are looking up imo.

Winning series is always a good thing, but we dug ourselves into such a big hole that sweeping average competition like the Pirates needs to become a "MUST" thing pretty damn soon. Especially at home and when getting outstanding starting pitching.

Not an easy roadtrip coming up too, a sweep sure would have helped everyone's confidence.

MarySwiss
05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
What is it about Sundays? Seems to me the past couple of years we have lost Sunday games way more often than we've won them. :?:

I think I'm just going to skip them from now on. That way, I'll be happy when we win without blowing a perfectly good Sunday.

LoveYourSuit
05-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Then he serves no purpose.

Well, he does now.

Thanks to Kenny's offseason, or lack there of.

Everyone at the lead off position has failed, Pods sucks and still is the best candidate.

Meanwhile, Juan Pierre is hitting close to .400 with the Dodgers.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Winning series is always a good thing, but we dug ourselves into such a big hole that sweeping average competition like the Pirates needs to become a "MUST" thing pretty damn soon. Especially at home and when getting outstanding starting pitching.

Not an easy roadtrip coming up too, a sweep sure would have helped everyone's confidence.

Giving up 12 hits is not the definition of outstanding starting pitching. Great "D" today though.

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Cub fan on the postgame just now ripping on Kenny. Ranger spends almost 10 minutes talking to the guy, who's main bitch is why Kenny was trying to get Peavy and steal the Cubs thunder the past two years.

Rongey says, you don't want your GM to improve your team. Dude says, KW is not my GM.

Rongey: Are you a White Sox fan? Moron: I sure as hell am not a White Sox fan. :rolleyes:

It's Dankerific
05-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Well, he does now.

Thanks to Kenny's offseason, or lack there of.

Everyone at the lead off position has failed, Pods sucks and still is the best candidate.

Meanwhile, Juan Pierre is hitting close to .400 with the Dodgers.

His job is to get on base and steal bases. If he can't do that, his other "skills" do not warrant the job, leadoff or not.

He got on base, he should have tried to steal 2nd. If we HAVE to waste an out to get him to 2nd, there is no reason he should be playing when there are no injury reasons.

Whitesoxfan23
05-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Woops, I forgot we have Cutler :redface:, you are correct sir I can't wait for the Bears season either.

I get too involved in baseball that I have trouble remembering everything else until it actually begins.

I think it's safe to say that I am the only Dallas Cowboys fan in this topic. I'm from Oklahoma, so that is why. Please don't throw eggs at me :tongue:. My favorite team all around is the Sox :smile:

WhiteSox5187
05-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Losses happen, but we are not in a position where we can give games away like we did today. We absolutely HAVE to beat teams we are supposed to beat and the Pirates are one of those teams. Things sure as hell aren't going to get any easier with the Angels coming up. As has been said, this road trip will make or further break our season.

Frankfan4life
05-24-2009, 05:30 PM

We won the series.

We won last series.

Things are looking up imo.You are absolutely right and the voice of reason. It's just hard to feel good about winning two series in a row when victory was just suddenly snatched away and your team is still under .500.

DSpivack
05-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Cub fan on the postgame just now ripping on Kenny. Ranger spends almost 10 minutes talking to the guy, who's main bitch is why Kenny was trying to get Peavy and steal the Cubs thunder the past two years.

Rongey says, you don't want your GM to improve your team. Dude says, KW is not my GM.

Rongey: Are you a White Sox fan? Moron: I sure as hell am not a White Sox fan. :rolleyes:

I think that same guy called a few days ago.

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I think that same guy called a few days ago.

And they say we're obsessed with the Cubs? I would never even think of wasting my time calling the Cubs postgame show.

Gavin
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
Sucks, but the team that averages a series win comes up with 120 wins. It's not a sprint, fellas.

TDog
05-24-2009, 05:35 PM
And they say we're obsessed with the Cubs? I would never even think of wasting my time calling the Cubs postgame show.

I can't imagine you would waste your time listening to a Cubs postgame show.

Big D
05-24-2009, 05:36 PM

Maybe he wanted to see if our offense sucks as bad as theirs does.

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 05:37 PM
I can't imagine you would waste your time listening to a Cubs postgame show.

True

voodoochile
05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Ah nothing like a post game thread after a tough loss to make me smile...:tongue:

TornLabrum
05-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, that sucked. Just got home, and I'm glad I don't have to go again until July.

Frankfan4life
05-24-2009, 05:52 PM
In order to win, the White Sox needed to have the front of the bullpen do what it does on a routine basis. Three runs should have been enough to win the game. Once you get the game to the front of the bullpen, pressure isn't an issue. (As if having a one-run lead with two outs in the ninth carries enough pressure to melt down a pitcher who held a 1-0 lead on the road in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series.) Jenks' job is to get saves. A save inherently involves pressure.

The whole pressure thing is overrated, especially as it applies to the four front pitchers in the Sox bullpen.I agree that the Sox should have won the game if Dotel and Jenks had done their jobs. Unfortunately, time and time again, the Sox have failed to score in the later innings and have failed to get clutch hits.

However, I disagree that pressure is overrated. For the most part the offense is giving our pitchers little margin for error. During Mark's interview on the pre-game show today, he admitted that run support does take some pressure off the pitchers.

southside rocks
05-24-2009, 05:59 PM

Agree. The Sox were hanging on to this one by a thread, it wasn't too surprising that the thread broke in the 9th inning. Sweeping a team is not easy and the Pirates are not pushovers this year.

Beautiful day for a ballgame, a nice crowd out in right center field, a win would have been better, but I enjoyed my afternoon. Some NICE defense work by the infield, saved Buehrle's butt several times.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2009, 06:05 PM
It's always nice to get a series win.

What's frustrating about this is that the Sox shut out these long-time losers during the first two games, led most of this game, failed to execute several scoring opportunities to open a bigger lead, and then saw the bullpen cough it up.

Winning the next series against the Angels would really be something.

DirtySox
05-24-2009, 06:06 PM
the Pirates are not pushovers this year.

Yep. Some of the NL Central bashing in previous postgame threads is a bit off base. The Brewers and Cardinals look great, and wait until we are facing the Reds rotation. I'm not looking forward to any of Cueto/Volquez/Harang/Arroyo. Not at all. (Not to mention Votto and Bruce.)

TDog
05-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I agree that the Sox should have won the game if Dotel and Jenks had done their jobs. Unfortunately, time and time again, the Sox have failed to score in the later innings and have failed to get clutch hits.

However, I disagree that pressure is overrated. For the most part the offense is giving our pitchers little margin for error. During Mark's interview on the pre-game show today, he admitted that run support does take some pressure off the pitchers.

The White Sox took the lead with clutch two-out hits. Pressure didn't affect Buehrle's performance today even if he felt it. At least it didn't lead to the Pirates scoring. (Pressure can hardly be blamed for the run allowed before the White Sox even came up to hit.) And Dotel and Jenks should be pitching most of their games under pressure situations due to their roles on the team, whether they enter the game at 3-1/3-2 in the last two innings or whether they enter the game with the score 9-8. Both are paid specifically to pitch under pressure at the end of the game and protect narrow leads.

BleacherBandit
05-24-2009, 06:18 PM
We recieved two good pitching performances this series. I wouldn't say giving 12 hits is a good outing for Buehrle. Sure, he had only one earned run, but seriously, he got saved at least four times by our defense. However, he is our best pitcher right now, and I can't complain, but you're wrong if you think he pitched well this afternoon.

russ99
05-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I am going to say this, regardless of this loss, the next 6 road games will be the most important games of the season.

The White Sox have to have a winning road trip, or I believe we will be stuck in a under .500 hole for the rest of the season. We have to establish good baseball both at home and on the road, otherwise we will just see a bunch of decent baseball with a bunch of crappy baseball.

So far this season looks like the type where there are glimmers of hope, but in the end something goes wrong to ruin it.

Whenever the White Sox look like they are back into it, something goes wrong with either the hitting, pitching, or relief. What makes this worse is that our relief is hailed as one of the best in the majors and we fail to win one of the bigger games of the year (it might not look like much, but this game would have gone a long way in establishing the Sox for the season).

Now we have to wait for the Sox to establish themselves in the upcoming road trip, otherwise we might have to settle for a below average baseball team for the rest of the season.

Also, Carlos Quentin either picks it up in the next few games, or sits down because he is doing nothing right. He does not even look frustrated anymore, and swings at horrible pitches. Him and Alexei were pivotal for the White Sox making their run last year, and if they don't pick their stuff up this team will fall off the map. Dye and Konerko are good to have as supplements to all-stars, but as hitters leading a team they are not the best to have.

Here is to hoping the White Sox take 4 of the next 6 and go back to winning the A.L Central.

Heck yeah. Great post.

I'd also like to see an adjustment from the hitters, since it seems they're all swinging only when there's two strikes. We should have had much more than 7 hits vs. relatively weak Pirates pitching. But I do like the lineup with Alexei hitting second.

And I hope they took that nimrod who threw the HR ball back down to the Clearing lockup. There has to be consequences for being so stupid.

bridgeportcopper
05-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Heck yeah. Great post.

I'd also like to see an adjustment from the hitters, since it seems they're all swinging only when there's two strikes. We should have had much more than 7 hits vs. relatively weak Pirates pitching. But I do like the lineup with Alexei hitting second.

And I hope they took that nimrod who threw the HR ball back down to the Clearing lockup. There has to be consequences for being so stupid.
That would be the Deering lockup.

A little question for y'all, when attending or watching a game and looking for a Sox sweep, would you rather lose 20-1 like thursday or this disaster today. I'll take the 20-1. My poor daughter was fired up for the fireworks that daddy promised her after 1 more out, and then she was upset and wondering why daddy was mumbling about Bobby Jenks! That was her first game and the poor thing may never want to go back.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 06:43 PM
The only bright side is that the Tigers lost 2 out of 3 to the Rockies. :smile:

ramblinsoxfan11
05-24-2009, 06:54 PM
ughhh... I was at the game standing up cheering with 2 outs in the top of the 9th and then that had to happen. I hope you're happy Bobby, you ruined my Sunday! (The hawks getting demolished didn't help much either)

tsoxman
05-24-2009, 07:00 PM
You are absolutely right and the voice of reason. It's just hard to feel good about winning two series in a row when victory was just suddenly snatched away and your team is still under .500.

Not only that but, we got swept in a four game series in Toronto..If we don't start piling up wins and sweeping series against bad teams like Pittsburgh to make up for that, we will never see a .500 record this season.

DickAllen72
05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch the game today but I listened on the radio. I was wondering how tough of a play it was on that hit past third base in the ninth. From what I've read on another site, a good third baseman should have been able to field that ball.

What do most here think?

Frankfan4life
05-24-2009, 07:28 PM
How many opportunities did the White Sox squander? They didn't get the runner home from second in the eighth, but they wasted an out getting him to second by taking the bat out of the hand of one of the Sox most consistent hitters of late. When Quentin doubled with two outs in the second, Anderson got a home run to drive him in. If it had only been a single, Anderson wouldn't have driven in himself. In the fifth with two outs, Josh Fields singled with Anderson on second to score the third run. It looks like hitting with running in scoring position was ahead of the MLB curve today.You didnít mention the Sox sixth when Ramirez singled to left, Konerko walked after Thome grounded out, and then AJ and TCQ popped out. Most importantly, however, the Sox did not score again after the fifth inning. This game was not the most glaring example of not hitting with runners in scoring position but that doesn't mean that it is not a big problem.

The White Sox took the lead with clutch two-out hits. Pressure didn't affect Buehrle's performance today even if he felt it. At least it didn't lead to the Pirates scoring. (Pressure can hardly be blamed for the run allowed before the White Sox even came up to hit.) And Dotel and Jenks should be pitching most of their games under pressure situations due to their roles on the team, whether they enter the game at 3-1/3-2 in the last two innings or whether they enter the game with the score 9-8. Both are paid specifically to pitch under pressure at the end of the game and protect narrow leads.I donít know how you know how much pressure a pitcher is or is not feeling. I specifically stated that Dotel and Jenks did not perform their jobs today. They are supposed to protect leads no matter how small but we all know that no matter how good they are, failure is bound to happen. That is why run support is so important, especially the ability to score runs late in the game. Granted, pitchers are always under a certain amount of pressure, but constantly pitching to protect a small lead is a lot more demanding than trying to protect a large lead.

WhiteSox5187
05-24-2009, 07:42 PM
The only bright side is that the Tigers lost 2 out of 3 to the Rockies. :smile:

I don't think we should worry about what other teams are doing. Get to .500 and then worry about catching up to teams ahead of us.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't think we should worry about what other teams are doing. Get to .500 and then worry about catching up to teams ahead of us.

It was only the bright side. :?:

SoxGirl4Life
05-24-2009, 07:47 PM

lol NO BRIGHTNESS ALLOWED!

Actually, I'm hoping Bobby will shave the chin since he blew the save. That would be a bright spot for me.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 07:51 PM

Actually, I'm hoping Bobby will shave the chin since he blew the save. That would be a bright spot for me.

Yeah, the chin thing is awful. :yup:

MarySwiss
05-24-2009, 07:54 PM

Yep! C'mon, Chicken; what were you thinking? This is a postgame thread after a very nasty Sox loss. Of course, the season is ovah!

And lol, after Jenks gave up the HR, MrMarySwiss said he should call a timeout so he could shave! :D:

JB98
05-24-2009, 08:04 PM
We know Jenks is going to nail down the save nine times out of 10. I guess this was the one time out of 10 he didn't.

Too bad. I was really hoping for a sweep and some positive momentum going into the road trip.

Not sure if I've ever seen Bobby retire the first two hitters and then not be able to close the deal. :scratch:

Viva Medias B's
05-24-2009, 08:12 PM
This loss bothers me more than the 20-1 loss did. We had this game in the bag. I really blame Fields more than Jenks for this one after he let yet another one get past him. Jenks, like all closers, will have bad outings and this was just one of those times. I am just sick and tired of Josh Fields. Why can't he go back to Charlotte?

DSpivack
05-24-2009, 08:14 PM
This loss bothers me more than the 20-1 loss did. We had this game in the bag. I really blame Fields more than Jenks for this one after he let yet another one get past him. Jenks, like all closers, will have bad outings and this was just one of those times. I am just sick and tired of Josh Fields. Why can't he go back to Charlotte?

I don't like him either, but do we have a better option? Nix?

Marqhead
05-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Brutal. I'll reitterate what I said about the Hawks game: Glad I went golfing rather than watching the end of this one.

Bring on the Angels.

Chicken Dinner
05-24-2009, 08:18 PM

Whether or not you like Fields or not, this one was on Jenks. 2 runs with 2 outs? come on!

Dick Allen
05-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I don't give a crap that we won this series. We had this game in the bag against a mediocre team and pissed it away. The way things have gone so far this season, the Sox cannot afford to let these get away if there's any hope of competing for a playoff spot. They may eventually start to hit, but we probably shouldn't hold our breaths. In the continued absence of hitting, this is a game that must be won. Is there an ordinance of some kind that says we can't sweep a series?

Brian26
05-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Sox defense today was stellar behind Buehrle and made up for his 12 hits allowed. They deserved to win.

I don't mind the Jenks homer to the 9th place hitter; stuff happens. What really upsets me is the subsequent double and single allowed to Morgan and Young.

TDog
05-24-2009, 08:52 PM
You didnít mention the Sox sixth when Ramirez singled to left, Konerko walked after Thome grounded out, and then AJ and TCQ popped out. Most importantly, however, the Sox did not score again after the fifth inning. This game was not the most glaring example of not hitting with runners in scoring position but that doesn't mean that it is not a big problem.

I donít know how you know how much pressure a pitcher is or is not feeling. I specifically stated that Dotel and Jenks did not perform their jobs today. They are supposed to protect leads no matter how small but we all know that no matter how good they are, failure is bound to happen. That is why run support is so important, especially the ability to score runs late in the game. Granted, pitchers are always under a certain amount of pressure, but constantly pitching to protect a small lead is a lot more demanding than trying to protect a large lead.

If the Sox scored half the times they got runners in scoring position, they were doing pretty well. Considering those times they scored runners from second, the runners didn't get to second until there were two out, they did exceptionally well in that regard.

You can talk about pressure, but it had nothing to do with either of the losses on the homestand, unless you talk about poor pitching putting pressure on the offense.

A closer is groomed to pitch in pressure situations. Often when closers are not in pressure save situations they appear more vulnerable. Both Dotel and Jenks have had success as closers.

When the White Sox have the lead after the seventh inning, the size of the lead is irrelevant. The number of runs the Sox have scored is irrelevant. The offense isn't putting pressure on the closer. The offense has given the closer the lead.

With Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel and Jenks available, they should win the game. The Yankees should win if they go into the ninth, and the Twins should win if they go into the ninth with a lead, but their elite closers have failed this year too. It happens.

The White Sox offense scored enough runs to win today. But the elite closer didn't come through.

I do concur with Viva, though. I think the pitching would be better if the White Sox had a better defensive third baseman, regardless if Fields had any impact on today's game. Having a third baseman with little range puts far more pressure on a pitcher than an offense that can only give the pitchers a two-run lead after seven.

Brian26
05-24-2009, 09:09 PM
The White Sox scored enough runs to win today. They came through in a couple of clutch two-out situations. The bullpen did not.

Correct. Some of the comments in this thread are baffling, as if people didn't watch the game. Fields' two-out rbi was huge, as was BA's two run homer. The bullpen blew an easy save, and that's the reason we lost.

Brian26
05-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Sox ninth:
- C. Quentin struck out swinging
- B. Anderson struck out swinging
- C. Getz struck out swinging

Wonder what they were all thinking?

I rather them strike out swinging than looking. Capps looks tough with 94-95 mph heat, especially if they haven't seen him before.

Brian26
05-24-2009, 09:12 PM
**** football.

This is baseball season.

:thumbsup:

TDog
05-24-2009, 09:43 PM
**** football.

This is baseball season.

For that matter, I refer to most of the football season as "the offseason."

I don't care how successful the White Sox are, I live among Raiders fans and for four years I lived among Packers fans (although I have never seen either of them play, in person or on television). I always want football season to go away.

russ99
05-24-2009, 11:07 PM
I rather them strike out swinging than looking. Capps looks tough with 94-95 mph heat, especially if they haven't seen him before.

Except that all three were looking at strike 1 and 2. You have to be aggressive to make things happen. The time to swing is early in the count, not late in the count when the pitcher has the advantage. And you work the count early in the game, not late in the game.

Which is reason#872 why Walker has to go for this team to have a successful season.

LoveYourSuit
05-25-2009, 12:14 AM
For that matter, I refer to most of the football season as "the offseason."

I don't care how successful the White Sox are, I live among Raiders fans and for four years I lived among Packers fans (although I have never seen either of them play, in person or on television). I always want football season to go away.

And watching Kenny operate like he did this past "offseason" , ****, I don't want this season to end. Please keep playing.

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Quentin is really hurting our team. I'm glad for what he did this year, but that doesn't make him suck any less this year.
:scratch: huh.

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:30 AM

And if we hit into a Double play, 90% of this board would have been freaking out because we didn`t bunt.:mad:

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:32 AM

Because the 2009 parts don`t match the pizzed off.:bandance:

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:34 AM
We only scored enough runs to take the lead. That is all. In order to win, we needed to score more runs. There is nothing wrong with having a four, five, six or more run lead. It takes pressure off your pitchers. We just haven't been able to consistently score lots of runs or score them when we need them.

:scratch: Nothing like stating the obvious.

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:36 AM
The veteran players aren't the problem. There certainly has been no problem with the offense from Konerko and Dye this season. Quentin and Ramirez are hardly veterans. Neither are Getz or Fields. Anderson is a veteran, but someone who is in the game more fro his defense. Barring a trade, and taking the far system into consideration, you aren't going to do better at catcher than Pierzynski.

Quick, call homeland security. What far system are they from anyway.
:gulp:

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:45 AM

So what your`e saying is Quentin and Alexi`s hitting woes stem from their jealousy of Anderson`s fro.:dtroll:

4 points
05-25-2009, 04:53 AM
Maybe he wanted to see if our offense sucks as bad as theirs does.

Unfortunately, it does.:whiner:

4 points
05-25-2009, 05:03 AM
Whether or not you like Fields or not, this one was on Jenks. 2 runs with 2 outs? come on!

I blame Fields completely, I will never forgive him for not catching that homerun ball in the 9th.:gulp:

4 points
05-25-2009, 05:04 AM
I don't give a crap that we won this series. We had this game in the bag against a mediocre team and pissed it away. The way things have gone so far this season, the Sox cannot afford to let these get away if there's any hope of competing for a playoff spot. They may eventually start to hit, but we probably shouldn't hold our breaths. In the continued absence of hitting, this is a game that must be won. Is there an ordinance of some kind that says we can't sweep a series?

The Playoffs? Your`e talking playoffs. :o:

Brian26
05-25-2009, 09:06 AM
So what your`e saying is Quentin and Alexi`s hitting woes stem from their jealousy of Anderson`s fro.:dtroll:

Obviously too many of these last night for 4 points: :gulp::gulp::gulp:

SCCWS
05-25-2009, 09:57 AM
As I read this message board, I look at the number of players that fans complain about. Go back a week and you will find that Alexei-Quentin-Getz-Anderson-Nix-Fields-Pods-Lillibridge and all the bench players are being criticized. Buehrle and Jenks( up until yesterday) have been immune but all the other starters and most of bullpen are also being trashed. That is a sign of a mediocre team and the sub .500 record may be what we can expect. Guys like Nix-Fields-Getz-Anderson-Lillibridge may be minor league quality playing at the major league level.
Unfortunately I live in Red Sox country. Their fans will complain about 4-5 players on their 25 man roster. White Sox fans complain about all but 4-5 on theirs.

WhiteSox1989
05-25-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm over the loss. Lets just win today!

mzh
05-25-2009, 01:02 PM
As I read this message board, I look at the number of players that fans complain about. Go back a week and you will find that Alexei-Quentin-Getz-Anderson-Nix-Fields-Pods-Lillibridge and all the bench players are being criticized. Buehrle and Jenks( up until yesterday) have been immune but all the other starters and most of bullpen are also being trashed. That is a sign of a mediocre team and the sub .500 record may be what we can expect. Guys like Nix-Fields-Getz-Anderson-Lillibridge may be minor league quality playing at the major league level.
Unfortunately I live in Red Sox country. Their fans will complain about 4-5 players on their 25 man roster. White Sox fans complain about all but 4-5 on theirs.

Then maybe it's time to bring up a bunch of new trash from the minors for people to complain about :redneck

voodoochile
05-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Then maybe it's time to bring up a bunch of new trash from the minors for people to complain about :redneck

Don't want to ruin the development cycle. Let them turn into one huge piece of garbage then call them up...:tongue:

hi im skot
05-25-2009, 02:08 PM
'Roids?:shrug:

Quentin's the last guy on this team I would suspect using PEDs.

Also, people seem to be forgetting that over the last two homestands, Quentin had 3-4 doubles that hit off the very top of the left-centerfield fence, including one yesterday afternoon. He's a headcase, but he'll be fine.

LoveYourSuit
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Quentin's the last guy on this team I would suspect using PEDs.

everyone's a suspect to me.

voodoochile
05-25-2009, 02:25 PM
everyone's a suspect to me.

Are they all equally suspect or do you have shades of gray in there?