PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Back to Back shutouts 5-23 postgame thread.

october23sp
05-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Discuss.:bandance:

soxnut1018
05-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Great game by Clayton!
kM7C_yNlCLU

Marqhead
Great pitching with a touch of offense.

We now have a better record than the Pirates.

SoxGirl4Life
:bandance::bliss::bandance:

SoxGirl4Life
05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Great game by Clayton!
kM7C_yNlCLU

Perfect!

october23sp
If it matters to the Mods or anyone the title should be POSTgame thread not just game thread. :redface:

NDSox12
I wonder if any team in MLB history has ever followed up a 20+ runs allowed game with two consecutive shutouts.

That's two terrific outings in a row for Clayton. He and the bullpen had the Pirates whiffing all night.

It looks like Alexei is starting to figure things out.

That's 4 out of 5!

SoxGirl4Life
05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
I wonder if any team in MLB history has ever followed up a 20+ runs allowed game with two consecutive shutouts.

That's two terrific outings in a row for Clayton. He and the bullpen had the Pirates whiffing all night.

It looks like Alexei is starting to figure things out.

That's 4 out of 5!

Lets go for 3!

chisoxfanatic
If it matters to the Mods or anyone the title should be POSTgame thread not just game thread. :redface:
You can change that on your own. Just click on "edit" and go to "advanced" portion (should be the 2nd button below the typing field).

I know it's the Pirates, but these wins are so important right now.

I'm hearing the fireworks right now and am hungry for popcorn. :(

october23sp
Lets go for 3!

Shhh. Last time we said something crazy like that we got 20 runs scored on us.

spawn
05-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Done.

4 out of 5. Doesn't maatter if it's the Pirates. A win is a win, and back to back shutouts don't hurt. :gulp:

Soxman219
Richard pitched excellent tonight. I don't care if it's against the Pirates, back to back shutouts are hard to do. Let's get the sweep tomorrow.

Hitmen77
....I wish we could play Pittsburgh 18 times a year. :duck:

If Richard is indeed settling in as a decent starter, that would be a huge shot in the arm for us.

Frater Perdurabo
Nice to be able to get our team ERA down against the dregs of the NL.

october23sp
05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
You can change that on your own. Just click on "edit" and go to "advanced" portion (should be the 2nd button below the typing field).

I'm hearing the fireworks right now and am hungry for popcorn. :(

Took the words out of my mouth. Play easy teams. Get easy wins.

Frater Perdurabo
05-23-2009, 08:48 PM

So do I. And 18 more againt the Reds. And more games against the puketacular dregs bottom feeding in the NL Worst and NL Least, too.

soxnut1018
05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Took the words out of my mouth. Play easy teams. Get easy wins.

Yep wins against the Pirates count the same as wins against the Red Sox

spawn
05-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Lets go for 3!

Shhh. Last time we said something crazy like that we got 20 runs scored on us.
I don't care. I'll say it as well. Let's go for 3 in a row! With Buehrle on the bump, the Pirates won't be scoring 20 runs. I have no problem saying that! :D:

FielderJones
05-23-2009, 08:50 PM

Doesn't maatter if it's the Pirates. A win is a win, and back to back shutouts don't hurt.

These are part of the 60 you should win every year. Contenders have to lock these games down. Once you get confidence against the bums of MLB, you can start working on moving back into contention.

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't care. I'll say it as well. Let's go for 3 in a row! With Buehrle on the bump, the Pirates won't be scoring 20 runs. I have no problem saying that! :D:
It seemed Buehrle was on the bump last night due to the length of the game. :o:

SoxFan1979
05-23-2009, 08:52 PM
:bandance::bandance::dtroll::bandance::dtroll:

I love the Sox playing the Pirates. It seems to work out for us so far :D:

JB98
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Given that the Sox have lost series against Baltimore and Cleveland already this year, there are no easy marks.

So, I'm very pleased with the first two games of this series, even if it is against the Pirates.

Richard threw the ball well tonight. I'll take six shutout innings from him any time.

TDog
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
I wonder if any team in MLB history has ever followed up a 20+ runs allowed game with two consecutive shutouts. ...

Elias Sports Bureau may have an answer for that before I finish typing this post. Really, White Sox pitching has pitched 20 consecutive scoreless innings since giving up 20 runs in the first seven innings Thursday.

I heard someone on ESPN radio within the last couple of weeks say that the NL Central is the best, most competitive division in baseball, top to bottom. It could just be that Floyd was unbeatable Friday night and the Pirates couldn't hit Richard because they had never seen him before. That seems to be an excuse I hear a lot, and I don't even live in the Chicago area.

It's possible that Richard pitched a great game tonight because he believed he had something to prove. He matched Peavy's six innings of Friday night shutout ball, in any case, and he did it under tougher circumstances. Both were facing teams from the best division in baseball, but Richard was doing it in a hitters' park with a designated hitter in the lineup.

guillensdisciple
05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Go for the sweep tomorrow, and make it a series of great pitching and decent hitting. The only smudge on this home stand was that blow out from the Twins, but everything else has looked good (especially the pitching).

I hope that this is a sign of things to come for this team.

Carlos Quentin has to put his game together, because he looks like a shell of what he was last year.

bridgeportcopper
05-23-2009, 08:57 PM
Is there any way we can apply for a transfer to the NL Central?

SoxGirl4Life
05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Elias Sports Bureau may have an answer for that before I finish typing this post. Really, White Sox pitching has pitched 20 consecutive scoreless innings since giving up 20 runs in the first seven innings Thursday.

I heard someone on ESPN radio within the last couple of weeks say that the NL Central is the best, most competitive division in baseball, top to bottom. It could just be that Floyd was unbeatable Friday night and the Pirates couldn't hit Richard because they had never seen him before. That seems to be an excuse I hear a lot, and I don't even live in the Chicago area.

It's possible that Richard pitched a great game tonight because he believed he had something to prove. He matched Peavy's six innings of Friday night shutout ball, in any case, and he did it under tougher circumstances. Both were facing teams from the best division in baseball, but Richard was doing it in a hitters' park with a designated hitter in the lineup.

This made me laugh. But I agree, I do think Richard was pitching like he had something to prove. Should give him motivation for the rest of the season, I hope.

SoxFan78
05-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Crazy lineup tonight but can't hate cause of the outcome. Only down point of the night was the wave in the bottom of the 8th, jd solved that pretty quickly though!

PalehosePlanet
05-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Clayton was awesome! He hit 94 on the gun at least 12-15 times tonight. I'm guessing The Pirates hitters after reading their advanced scouting report on him were not expecting that.

Huisj
05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
The Sox are really lucky that they got to face Ohlendorf for 2 innings last April in a game that Phil Hughes left after a rain delay. If it hadn't rained, the Sox might never have seen him before, he would now be known as Cy Ohlendorf and it would have been an automatic shutout and we'd still be tied 0-0 in extras.

So thank you mother nature for the win tonight.

LoveYourSuit
05-23-2009, 09:10 PM
That's back to back solid outings by Clayton.

Might be raising his stock for a potential deal for Kenny to get another veteran arm.

Have to sweep tomorrow!

Huisj
05-23-2009, 09:13 PM
That's back to back solid outings by Clayton.

Might be raising his stock for a potential deal for Kenny to get another veteran arm.

Have to sweep tomorrow!

Maybe he's becoming a solid arm himself.

Jaffar
Good points by all. Lets hope this team gains some confidence after tomorrows game and starts rolling! :bandance:

Chicken Dinner
Lets just get back to .500 and move on from there.

TommyJohn
05-23-2009, 09:14 PM

If Richard is indeed settling in as a decent starter, that would be a huge shot in the arm for us.

Uh. You're so *cubsessed* (turns up nose, plugs it) I shall not deal with you or your ilk any longer *sneer* (mounts high horse, trots away).

Great win tonight. I'm tempering it with the fact that it is the Pirates, but what the hell. They SHOULD beat the Pirates.

Big D
05-23-2009, 09:15 PM
So do I. And 18 more againt the Reds. And more games against the puketacular dregs bottom feeding in the NL Worst and NL Least, too.

You could make a case that the worst 6-7 teams in baseball are all in the NL. Even the bad AL teams like Cleveland (and they may still turn it around eventually) and Baltimore have talent. The Pirates just have nobody. No wonder Peavy wants to stay in the NL.

TDog
05-23-2009, 09:16 PM
This made me laugh. But I agree, I do think Richard was pitching like he had something to prove. Should give him motivation for the rest of the season, I hope.

Read the entire post and keep the sentence in context.

WhiteSox5187
05-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Winning is fun!

Chicken Dinner
05-23-2009, 09:24 PM
I did like the fact that Coop went out and took the ball from Clayton instead of Ozzie. Full control for the pitching coach when Ozzie's away.

Tragg
05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Another excellent effort by Richard. Let's be sure to trade him for a 4.50 ERA vetean NL pitcher - just what we need. Or maybe we could trade him and other prospects for the "elite", the "top of the rotation" AJ Burnett.
Or Not.
Richard's a good pitcher.

I notice that our pitchers often have a lot higher pitch count than the opponents. At the end of 2 tonight, Richard had near 40 pitches and the other guy had 20; same was true last night.
I know it's not Ozzie and Greg's philosophy for hitters to work counts, but when you're in a hitting slump it might help. Wait for your pitch; foul some off.

chisoxfanatic
05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Winning is fun!
I thought it was fung??? :?:

mccoydp
05-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Great win, with a couple of welcome HRs by Alexei and Jermaine.

I think this Clayton kid's a keeper. :cool:

hi im skot
05-23-2009, 09:39 PM
Dye looks uber-awesome in the high socks.

ChiSox89
05-23-2009, 09:43 PM
great win. loved how richard pitched.

Woofer
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
We are starting to get our mojo back.

thomas35forever
05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Great game for Richard. Is our rotation turning it around or do the Pirates just suck that much...again? In either case, I'll take all the wins we can get right now. There's plenty of time to turn the season around. I also like how Alexei is starting to heat up.

voodoochile
05-23-2009, 09:49 PM
Nothing like winning the games you're supposed to. Just got to keep on fighting and see where it takes us. WAY too early to give up and the big bats are just starting to get going and summer is on the way.

:soxwin:

:)

chisox77
05-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Was at the game tonight:

Very nice crowd - 32,000+
Great pitching by Richard
Two homers (Alexei and JD)
Great fireworks to finish a fine evening of White Sox Baseball
And a chance for a sweep with our ace going tomorrow

SOXfnNlansing
05-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I was at the game tonight. This was the first game since maybe opening day that I wanted to stay the whole game. We had a great time and went up to the Stadium Club afterwards. Clayton had them off balance the whole night. A little offense with the unearned run and the 2 run bomb from Ramirez was all we needed. Dye's solo shot was icing. Hope we can keep it up and go on a nice roll now.

DSpivack
05-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Got home from O's-Nats to see Clayton Richard pitch 6 scoreless and Alexei hit a bomb. I like it!

ChiSoxGirl
05-23-2009, 11:36 PM
I was there and it was awesome! Clayton Richard was on all night and the team's overall performance was a pleasure to watch. I had a great time and after spending part of the early afternoon at Wrigley on a ballpark tour, it makes me appreciate our ballpark and being a Sox fan ten times more than I already did!

Did anyone stick around the ballpark long enough for the downpour that came outta nowhere? I was hanging out with some friends by the monument for about ten minutes after the fireworks and in the middle of our conversation, the sky opened up and we all split because no one had rain gear. It rained for awhile and as I hit downtown, the pavement was dry. :scratch:

doublem23
05-23-2009, 11:45 PM
This has to be the most up and down team I can remember in quite some time.

:scratch:

:gulp:to more ups.

doublem23
05-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Maybe he's becoming a solid arm himself.

However it works, as long as the end result is the Sox gaining a solid arm, I'm happy.

:cool:

Here's hoping he's better than I ever gave him credit for.

I know its the Pirates, but he froze a number of hitters tonight.

DonnieDarko
05-24-2009, 12:36 AM
This has to be the most up and down team I can remember in quite some time.

:scratch:

:gulp:to more ups.

This, +1.

Wasn't Richard compared to a taller version of Buerhle? Considering that he's throwing in the mid 90s now, I dunno if that comparison still stands, but whatever he's doing now I will take. Yesh. On that same note, does anyone know what his pitching repertoire is? I think I spot a 4-Seamer, Straight Change and a sweeping Slider, but beyond that I can't think of anything else.

Britt Burns
05-24-2009, 02:26 AM
Way to go Richard...Jake who?

WSox597
05-24-2009, 07:12 AM
Hopefully, we'll look back on the 20-1 debacle as the lowest point of the season, the spot where they turned it around.

Back-to-back shutouts is impressive against any major league team. Nice work, guys.

cws05champ
05-24-2009, 08:23 AM
I was there and it was awesome! Clayton Richard was on all night and the team's overall performance was a pleasure to watch. I had a great time and after spending part of the early afternoon at Wrigley on a ballpark tour, it makes me appreciate our ballpark and being a Sox fan ten times more than I already did!

Good god...why would you willingly take a tour through hell?

Way to go Richard...Jake who?

Peavy. I love Clayton Richard and have been pretty high on him, but lets not confuse a CY young winner with Richard....although you you were probabaly just saying this in jest.

PhillipsBubba
05-24-2009, 09:16 AM
Nice job by the rookie...

Question:

Does he have a curveball?

HomeFish
05-24-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm really worried about Carlos Quentin.

palehozenychicty
05-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I felt that Clayton would throw well last night, and he did. We need all the help to climb back.

Frater Perdurabo
05-24-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm really worried about Carlos Quentin.

I'll say this: you really know how to stick with your schtick!

AlleghenySoxFan
05-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Crazy lineup tonight but can't hate cause of the outcome. Only down point of the night was the wave in the bottom of the 8th, jd solved that pretty quickly though!

That pissed me off so much, no one was paying attention to the game and everyone missed JD's homer, I was very disappointed.

But besides that great win, with Mark on the mound tomorrow lets have another short game and finish off the pirates

DonnieDarko
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
Nice job by the rookie...

Question:

Does he have a curveball?

Doesn't look like it, no.

tstrike2000
05-24-2009, 11:08 AM
TCQ will eventually be fine. Perhaps I'm overanalyzing, but since '01, not counting the garbage year of '07, if the Sox are generally around .500 around and after Memorial Day, they can at least finish the season with a winning record. For all the flaws we have, this still is very winnable division given the rest of the teams. Fields should come around, Alexei appears to be coming around, and pitchers like Carrasco and Richard could continue to be bright spots at the end of the rotation and bullpen. If Floyd can get his control in order enough to avoid the 2-2, 3-2 counts, we could really be in good shape.

ChiSoxGirl
05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Good god...why would you willingly take a tour through hell?

Because I've got a friend visiting from out of town for the long weekend and it's something she wanted to do, so I swallowed my hatred and bashing of the Cubs for 90 minutes and did this for her. Her grandpa is 89 years old and a die-hard Cub fan. When she told him she was coming to Chicago and taking the Wrigley tour, he was so excited. I didn't go under vocal protest... I just wore a Sox shirt instead. :wink: And look, I survived!

kittle42
05-24-2009, 12:42 PM
I'll say this: you really know how to stick with your schtick!

He sure does. I think HomeFish started worrying about Carl Everett's departure right after the last out in 2005.

GlassSox
05-24-2009, 01:27 PM

Did anyone stick around the ballpark long enough for the downpour that came outta nowhere? I was hanging out with some friends by the monument for about ten minutes after the fireworks and in the middle of our conversation, the sky opened up and we all split because no one had rain gear. It rained for awhile and as I hit downtown, the pavement was dry. :scratch:

Finally nice evening weather at the cell and a good outing to watch.

We stopped by the monument for a little bit and then walking to the red line when the rain hit. When we got in the city, everything was dry.