PDA

View Full Version : interesting article on alex snelius

oldcomiskey
05-23-2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Magazine/April-2007/Money-in-Chicago-2007/The-18-million-Dollar-Headache/

oldcomiskey
05-23-2009, 08:43 PM
after reading it I find its an old article but I think it needs to be reprised just for his generosity to White Sox charities

LITTLE NELL
05-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Old adage; money does'nt buy happiness but White Sox World Series Championships do.

Chicken Dinner
05-23-2009, 10:01 PM
I'd still love to try it! :smile:

milrtyme28
05-24-2009, 12:23 AM
The whole thing is really pretty sad, and truthfully I've thought about the same thing. What happens if you actually win? Now everyone you know expects a handout or free ride. He doesn't even talk to his sons and lost most of his friends, all over this money.

DSpivack
05-24-2009, 12:37 AM
The whole thing is really pretty sad, and truthfully I've thought about the same thing. What happens if you actually win? Now everyone you know expects a handout or free ride. He doesn't even talk to his sons and lost most of his friends, all over this money.

I remember my dad once dated a woman whose family won the lottery, they just kept it as hush-hush as possible, and didn't change their lifestyle much. They certainly didn't tell anyone they knew about it, and he only found out through a close friend of hers.

Scots-Sox
05-24-2009, 06:19 AM
I've heard the "in loving memory of Ursula" home run tag so many times watching sox games late at night over here in Scotland. It was nice to learn more about Alex but sad that money has cost him so much. Thanks for posting the link oldcomiskey.

DonnieDarko
05-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Huh. I always wondered who that guy was. Now that I know his story, I do kinda feel sorry for him.

WSox597
05-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I've often wondered what would happen if I won the lottery.

Thanks to that story, I've had a glance at the possible reactions of people. What a sad story, to be treated that way by your family and so-called friends because of good fortune.

Seems like a great guy, I wish him well.

oldcomiskey
05-24-2009, 11:05 AM
the thing is if I won the lottery everyone from north Mississippi to Chicago would hear about it, because they could hear me screaming. But Ill bte nobody bothers me because Tony has a gun

LongLiveFisk
05-24-2009, 11:06 AM
I can see how it can make a person unhappy in some ways. Problem is, money does change people but it doesn't have to. Once you decide to buy 10 cars, numerous homes, etc, you have allowed it to change you. Obviously it's tempting to do all that stuff because you now have the ability, but if that's not within your personality, you will eventually be unhappy with your life.

The handouts will never end either. No wonder some people don't even want to tell their families when they win.

SOXfnNlansing
05-24-2009, 11:09 AM
It's sad that his 3 sons chose their own selfishness over a chance to become real men like their dad.

Woofer
05-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I never thought that I could feel sorry for a millionaire, but i feel sorry for him. He would probably give it all away to get his old life back.

RedHeadPaleHoser
05-24-2009, 12:44 PM
It's sad that his 3 sons chose their own selfishness over a chance to become real men like their dad.

That made me sad for him too. Gives them $, buys them houses and "uses him like an ATM". What a shame.

But despite that, he and his wife donate $, write checks to people who ask for it, and continues to donate to charity. Good for him.

ramorgan1
05-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for posting that link! I've always wondered more about Alex and Ursula... captivating and very sad read.

Procol Harum
05-27-2009, 09:55 AM
God bless him--may his family be brought back together so he can find happiness again before he passes.

SOXPHILE
05-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I've always said the very first thing I would do if I suddenly came into millions of dollars, would be to change my phone number. I definatly would not go on T.V.

FielderJones
05-27-2009, 03:12 PM
at one point, he owned eight of them, each a “dream home”—two for himself and Ursula, one each for his four children, and one each for his wife’s two sisters.

My aunt Bertha is one of those sisters. When my uncle John was hit with a stroke, Alex bought them a single-story to make it easier on him to move around the house. Nice guy, it's a shame the money has caused so many problems.

tick53
05-27-2009, 06:56 PM
I've heard the "in loving memory of Ursula" home run tag so many times watching sox games late at night over here in Scotland. It was nice to learn more about Alex but sad that money has cost him so much. Thanks for posting the link oldcomiskey.

Yay! We have a fan in Scotland! :bandance:Go Scotland!